Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "CAT"astrophic day on the lake

Default "CAT"astrophic day on the lake

Well, !!!!! For those who followed my "is 40 too much to ask for" thread on my 32" cat on BJ26 motor and esc, its over for a while. I hadnt run the boat in about 2 weeks. I peaked out my 2 and 3 S batts this afternoon for a "quick" run. It turned into a 2 hour deal. Boat was runnin fantastic and for about 1 minute. Then it stopped dead, about 15 feet out from where I was standing. Wind was blowing towards me, but of course, it seemed all wind died as soon as the boat stopped. This happened before. A motor wire came undone out of the bullet. (motor side of the bullet on a BJ motor) Turns out one fell out and one came apart after I pulled on it. I re-soldered those 2 and left one alone. All that was 3 weeks ago. That my fellow boaters was my mistake. If 2 break, chances are the 3rd isnt far behind. Today, the other wire let go.. well, lets back up. As I said, the boat goes dead 15 feet out. I stood there for 30 seconds laughing because at the exact time the wind dies. 15 more seconds and I here a whistling sound and the deck of my hull begins to swell. 3 more seconds, the seem at the front lets go, big bang and A LOT of smoke. I quickly ran the 150 yards to the house, grabbed my rescue rig and dashed back to the scene. Smoking at settled, still above water line. I threw the rescue in and retrieved it. grabbed the hull out of the water and it was very hot. I slowly pulled the lid and was greeted w/ a lot more smoke and the most awful smell. The entire inside was covered in soot. Soot, is that how you spell that? Anyway, I expected to see a turnigy battery all puffed... but nope. Batts looked fine... Esc caps? Looked good. Wire popped out of the bullet I did not repair and also the positive wire had come out of the ESC. There was a nasty black glue like substance all over where the ESC was mounted. I dont know what happened? Perhaps it had something to do with the wire coming out. I was wiggling the steering servo just before it started whistling. And I tried throttling it 5 or 6 times. I dunno but this sux!!!! My kick butt boat is now in pieces, it stinks and the hull is blown apart in the front.

Heres some pics....

oh and Im also wondering if it had anything to do with not running an external BEC. It was on 5S. I ran it twice like this before w/ no problems.. no heat issues or anything. Then I added a bec. Then it was giving me lip so I took it out. Something today went amiss.

Oh, oh and... and... I burnt my brand new gps!!!! Son of a........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heres another pic. You can see the black goo nastyness that was left behind from the ESC. (top right corner of the wooden tray I had in there)

Ive stripped it all apart. Cleaned everything as best I could. I submerged the hull in a garbage can in a degreasing solution and water for a few hours. It cleaned up pretty well. Ive got to fix the hull where it blew apart. I dunno. Im thinking about completely stripping the stringers out. I dont like the system thats in there. Not that its given me problems, just seems bulky to me. So I may strip it, carbon fiber the hull, install a new motor mount and get her back together. But it wont be anytime soon.... well, I can carbon it because I have it, but motor mounts and certainly an ESC is not around the corner. This unemployment thing is really screwin me now... the heck witht the house and truck and boat payments... MY FE is down.... man that sux

Heres as she sits now... What direction do you all think I should go on this? Just get it back together, or build it better?

Sorry to hear about all this. It doesn't look too bad. You can epoxy the front back together. To save money, I would just put it all back together after the clean-up and repairs. If you want to continue with the 5s or higher, I would get a himodel ESC (cheap and appears reliable), waterproof and watercool it. You should be back in business fairly quickly...Oh here is the link to the himodel. http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...-200A-BEC.html
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Sorry to hear about all this. It doesn't look too bad. You can epoxy the front back together. To save money, I would just put it all back together after the clean-up and repairs. If you want to continue with the 5s or higher, I would get a himodel ESC (cheap and appears reliable), waterproof and watercool it. You should be back in business fairly quickly...Oh here is the link to the himodel. http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...-200A-BEC.html
    Nah its not bad.. but it sux. No worries on the hull... its the components thats gettin me. I havent got to test anything, so hopefully the ESC is the only thing that I lost. The side of my reciever got pretty cooked. 2.4 Futaba fasst. That may hurt.

I know someone who has a X-power 100A ESC that he may want to part with... I will be talking to him soon.

Anyone know any good ways to get the "stinch" out of the hull? Soaking it in degreaser and washing it several times didnt help. I pulled all the foam and all the velcro etc, anything that could hold the smell. It reaks nasty.

Were you running the BEC or a reciever pack?
    Government Moto:

Cool

Denatured alcohol works pretty well in removing the black goo and much of the stink, but some odor will probably always remain in the hull. Toss out any floatation and scrub all the components as clean as you can with the alcohol - use plenty, it's cheap.

The front seam blew because it was very weak - it is tough for the makers to get much glue or 'glass in there. Tape the seam closed well, mix up some epoxy and pour it across the leam. Thicken it with some microballoons or similar to help keep it in place as it cures. It may take two pours, the second after the first cures.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Denatured alcohol works pretty well in removing the black goo and much of the stink, but some odor will probably always remain in the hull. Toss out any floatation and scrub all the components as clean as you can with the alcohol - use plenty, it's cheap.

The front seam blew because it was very weak - it is tough for the makers to get much glue or 'glass in there. Tape the seam closed well, mix up some epoxy and pour it across the leam. Thicken it with some microballoons or similar to help keep it in place as it cures. It may take two pours, the second after the first cures.

Thanks Fluid.. and HA... look at my edit in my last post? I did use alcohol to clean the esc, servo etc. I kinda thought it may always smell from here on out. Like a constant reminder of not so good times. Im not so concerned w/ the front crack in the tunnel, its getting into the sponson tips (on the insides of the sponsons) that I cant figure out how Im going to get to. I could probably get my hands close to in there but the stringers are in the way. Thats another reason I was thinking of tearing it all out and starting over.

Were you running the BEC or a reciever pack?
    I was running it off the ESc's BEC. I was having issues with my reciever pack so I took it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Nah its not bad.. but it sux. No worries on the hull... its the components thats gettin me. I havent got to test anything, so hopefully the ESC is the only thing that I lost. The side of my reciever got pretty cooked. 2.4 Futaba fasst. That may hurt.

I know someone who has a X-power 100A ESC that he may want to part with... I will be talking to him soon.
    From what I understand, the xpower is a decent ESC but is more like 70 amps continuous. I have the Pulso 100a (samething) and I won't push it to more than 60a myself. You'll also need a programming box to program it fully.
    Government Moto:

From what I understand, the xpower is a decent ESC but is more like 70 amps continuous. I have the Pulso 100a (samething) and I won't push it to more than 60a myself. You'll also need a programming box to program it fully.
    It says it can handle 5S which is what I want to continue to run. And thats another thing.. I have no idea what kinda amps Im pulling. I really want a eagle tree logger as well. Just one more thing to the list..... Im not liking being in the dark anymore. I want to know whats going on under the hatch.

Perhaps I will just take my time, get it done when it gets done, do it "right" and mess with the SV until then.

Spray it Febreze every few days and that will help with the smell, also leave the hatch off.

Thanks Fluid.. and HA... look at my edit in my last post? I did use alcohol to clean the esc, servo etc. I kinda thought it may always smell from here on out. Like a constant reminder of not so good times. Im not so concerned w/ the front crack in the tunnel, its getting into the sponson tips (on the insides of the sponsons) that I cant figure out how Im going to get to. I could probably get my hands close to in there but the stringers are in the way. Thats another reason I was thinking of tearing it all out and starting over.
    When I split the seam in one of my cats, I did what Jay suggested. I mixed up a good amount of epoxy, poured it from the inside till it started seaping thru. Then I wiped off the excess and clamped it closed (paper clamps) No leaks and you can't even see the repair. I also used long q-tips and fondue sticks to spread the epoxy inside. I'm cheap.
    Government Moto:

It says it can handle 5S which is what I want to continue to run. And thats another thing.. I have no idea what kinda amps Im pulling. I really want a eagle tree logger as well. Just one more thing to the list..... Im not liking being in the dark anymore. I want to know whats going on under the hatch.

Perhaps I will just take my time, get it done when it gets done, do it "right" and mess with the SV until then.
    I don't think it would be a good idea to run an ESC to it's max ratings. You want some headroom as the load on the ESC is dynamic and may spike beyond it's average. I understand about the money issues. That's why I was suggesting the himodel.
    Government Moto:

Government Moto:

when i split the seam in one of my cats, i did what jay suggested. I mixed up a good amount of epoxy, poured it from the inside till it started seaping thru. Then i wiped off the excess and clamped it closed (paper clamps) no leaks and you can't even see the repair. I also used long q-tips and fondue sticks to spread the epoxy inside. I'm cheap.
    i did the opposite with two of my hulls.. I first took some two part epoxy and put it in the split, clamped it shut until dry. Then dripped in the real suport from the inside. Same thing though, works good.

I also agree with using the two-part epoxy for those hard-to-get-to front seams. I also added another item that really strenthened the bow section of my yellow and blue Mean Machines. This foam is a two part deal. You mix equal parts. I included a pic of the cans that I purchased at a local fiberglass shop. Not cheap, the two quart cans,the smallest amount you can buy, was about $35.

A great feature of this foam is that it REALLY sticks to the fiberglass and is closed cell. It will not pick up water. If you have a small fracture or hairline crack the foam seems to do a good job preventing water from getting into the hull

I mix up A and B of the foam mixture in a paper cup. The stuff REALLY expands so you have to watch it. I added a dram of A and B and got a half cup of foam. A dram is a really small, something like a half a milli-farthing or something like that.

You can see the expansion VS time from the markings on the paper cup.

I am pleased with the results and have used this technique for several other FE boats with hard to get to bow sections.

Tiqueman, don't feel too bad man, this kinda stuff happens... today I lost a Hydra 240 LV, a 2s 5000 pack and potentially a Rigger that I had design for the upcoming SAWs... pity... at least you kept your boat.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Tiqueman

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. That sucks......

I nealy loss my SV27 on its maiden run and was devastated when it got 'stuck' in the lake for 2 days before I could get the rangers to get it for me.. It was my first FE boat with brand new batteries......

Here is my suggestion:

Get the boat repaired and have a nice carbon fibre inlay inside.

The smell will probably go by itself after a while and the hulll would smell nice fresh resin from the carbon inlay. Besides an inlay inside would look neat and hide any visual clues of that incident......

There are reports in the news that the US economy is improving and no more in recession. Hopefully things will improve quickly for you guys in the US. For us here is Australia I guess things are not as bad as in the US......

Cheers

JC

febreeze and fabric softener sheets will also help the smell. Febreeze and leave open (as previously stated) clean again with alcohol, get a nice "spring-fresh" drier sheet, and put it in and close the hatch for a day or 2.

something out of topic, but perhaps you should think about getting those deans out, and start playing with big boys connectors, pk 6mm maybe?

There was a post on here sometime back where someone recommended oven cleaner to get rid of the smell and they say it cleans it up well.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...highlight=oven
    Government Moto:

Couple of years ago when Doug & I got into this hobby Fluid and a few others made the same recommendation --- now all our boats are running 5.5 mm bullet connectors!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

im wondering how vanilla essence would work for the smell?
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

I used lacquer thinner to clean out my mess. My solution was to paint the entire inside, it has a single tub down the middle so I was able to get it all covered with paint.
    -t

Wow guys. Im gone for a day and my thread is rockin! Thanks for all the info. As I said, the repair to me is no biggie. Im pretty well experienced in fiberglassing and whatnot. I think Ive decided to rip out all the existing stringers and do a carbon layup. Im looking at the water cooled 540 mount that OSE has. But I think I would build new sides for the mount out of carbon.

Im going to repair it similar to what wolf said. Im going to open it up a bit and spread some epoxy into the seperation and then clamp it and let it cure. Then go into the inside and do an epoxy/ micro balloon pour. It should be fine. I found a few more cracks and such that Im also going to take care of. Also as stated in a post above, doing the carbon will not only look good, it will take out and cover a good part of the smell.

As for the bullets. Im going to get there. But I believe the batt connections had nothing to do with this. The bullets on the motor may have? I have had deans before get so hot that it further heats the shrink wrap and breaks it at the connection. There are no signs of excessive heating on them. But, the 6mm might happen during the re-build.

As for other components. I found that my reciever bit it as well. It took the blunt of the gasses, heat, nasty goo etc. So its dead too.

I also thought about puting in a carbon bulkhead. And I thought about this... when it happen, as I said, it began to make a whistling pressure type sound, the hull expanded, I could see the deck rising, and then the front seem blew out... Seems pretty amazing to me that the seem blew before the pressure went out the pushrod seal. Has anyone ever done like a pressure release hole or something? I dont know exactly what Id be talking about here. Ive been thinking though, a small hole w/ a piece of tape just enough to hold it over the hole so it would release upon pressure, or like a water outlet, again having a small piece of tape over the outside so that it would blow off and release trapped gasses and pressure. I dunno, something to think about. Eventually Im building my dream boat and I do NOT want that hull to blow open.....

Thanks again guys for all the input. I know it could have been a lot worse, it just sucks to not have the funds to rebuild it immediately. Thankfully I have a couple other boats to mess with in the mean time. And as much as it sucked, it was almost cool to watch.

Sounds good to me. Looks like you got it under control. Good Luck with the repairs.
    Government Moto:

Sad to hear your problem ....but i am absolutely sure you going to fix it very well ...please keep the picture coming and how you do it
    Regards
    Christian

I got all the stringers and structure out. Ive sanded everything down, cleaned it all a couple more times and now Im letting the bow dry out before I start epoxying it back together.

Ive decided to inlay it w/ carbon since I have it. Heres my question. Should I inlay it, and then mount my motor mount on top and use more carbon to secure it OR, I was thinking, install the mounts (stringers if you will) epoxying them in and then running a strip of carbon along both sides of each (stringer) and down onto the hull. Then put my full inlay in, cut 2 strips in the inlay where the mounts (stringers) will be and let the inlay secure the mounts even more. Is that too much unecessary work?

Heres the mount Im thinking of using.
    This one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=etti-h010
    or this one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=ose-509b14
    Thoughts?

Looks good. Can't really tell that there was a mishap. Both mounts look good. I have the first one myself. I don't know about the CF as I haven't used it yet myself. But I would imagine that it is similar in application as fiberglass. But I could be wrong.
    Government Moto:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast