Thread: First boat

Default First boat

I picked up a slightly used, but abused Widow Maker. My very first R/C boat. So the ESC, servo and receiver were all shorted out(he sunk it on it's first run) I put in a Mamba Max esc and a Hitek servo, I had laying around, along with a Spekturm rx. Once I got everything all sorted out I threw in a 2cell 5000mha LiPo and headed to my pond. Woo this thing is cool. After 2 or 3 min I brought it in and everything seemed good, so I thought I should try a 3cell. It was a huge improvement, for about 35 seconds and the prop blew off. So while I am waiting for my new props, is it OK to run a Mamba Max in a boat?? And does it need to be water cooled?????

Quote Originally Posted by bmaxx View Post
    I picked up a slightly used, but abused Widow Maker. My very first R/C boat. So the ESC, servo and receiver were all shorted out(he sunk it on it's first run) I put in a Mamba Max esc and a Hitek servo, I had laying around, along with a Spekturm rx. Once I got everything all sorted out I threw in a 2cell 5000mha LiPo and headed to my pond. Woo this thing is cool. After 2 or 3 min I brought it in and everything seemed good, so I thought I should try a 3cell. It was a huge improvement, for about 35 seconds and the prop blew off. So while I am waiting for my new props, is it OK to run a Mamba Max in a boat?? And does it need to be water cooled?????
    Sure its ok and yes you should water cool it. What KV is the motor?
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

Quote Originally Posted by bmaxx View Post
    YES, IT NEEDS TO BE WATER COOLED! If you are getting expected performance with no temp issues within proper time than you fine, but you have to run your boat for a short while like below 1 minute and check temperature of your motor and ESC. If all is way below like 80F for sure than I would say why not. As fare is what I have learned here at OSE my strong suggestion is watercooled! That is why some people here are using ESCs that are not design for boats and are without water cooling but are beeing moded with custom installed water cooling so it speaks for itself...
    There! My few cents....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Awesome Thanks guy's

The motor is 2900KV. I ordered Octura M435 and Y535 props to try.

For the water cooling.. Can I just take a piece of solid aluminum, and bore a hole through it, put fittings on each end of it, and mount the esc on it ?

Yeah you can probably make something easy. This site sells parts too. Cheap, IMO. Might give you a few ideas too.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=66

I got my props, and I was able to get the 2 blade balanced and polished last night. So this morning I took it out to my pond for some more testing...
    It has quit a bit more top speed but is lacking in the hole shot department, big time.. It also seems way harder to get around the fast corners, it starts to hop and roll, then the prop starts spinning Would the turn fin angle cause this?

Well I messed around with turn fin and prop angles, and got it a little better. It still is very unpredictable in the corners so I think next, maybe I should try some more weight??

i would say,try using the same prop u had before it fell off