Thread: ? on mini-v/c motor rpm

Default ? on mini-v/c motor rpm

OK, I do not have my tach yet, still on order. Google and OSE searches are coming up empty.

Does anyone know what the rpm is of the stock motor in the Mini-v/c proboat?

Try to get other motors lined up for experimenting and want somewhere to start.

Thanks all!

Brian

Default rpm

Till my backorder comes in from HK, I am going with the stock motor must be around 2300 to 2400 kv, or 17000 rpm on a 7.2 volt cell.

This must be close, because that would give about 15 mph on a x431 on 2s - with flex drive.

Think I will look for an outrunner in the 2700 to 3000kv range for a 2s fun boat.

Default amps

This motor has more spunk than I thought. On a 2s lipo, it was pulling 0.65 amps no load, nothing connected.

Well, thought I would get a locked rotor current. If I am running the boat at 3-4 amps full load, I figured I might get 8-10 amps locked. Nope! As soon as I stopped the shaft the digital meter jumped and I saw 16 amps before I could pull the probe off the battery! 7.4 volt lipo.

Anyways, hopefully in a week or so I will get my tach.

Brian

Hey befu, I followed your posts on the mini-v on rcuniverse and you have some good ideas. About the mini-v/c motor I know a few things (not all). I don't know what the rpm is, but I'm sure that if you send an email to horizon they will answer your question. I asked them about the esc for this boat and they replied that it would handle 10amps max. I have not yet burned up one of these motors although I have abused them. I had one that I thought was getting weak and that I had taken out to try a brushless in. It had been used for one season and then sat around for awhile. In the meantime I fried the motor in my mini rio after running it on 11.1v lipo. These motors are the same exact size and I just figured were the same. So I stuck the one I had laying around into the mino rio. I have ran it multiple times on 11.1v and never fried it yet. The really odd thing is that I didn't change anything else but the motor(mini rio has not only stock cooling but I also added a cooling coil to the back of the motor. It's not crazy fast but fast enough to flip the rio on calm water if you don't watch it. I also have never burned out a stock esc either. I posted on here about the water cooling mod I did to the esc on here also.
    I have also experimented some with Mega Motors brushed motors. I tried their MIG400 7.2v, MIG400 12v, and MIG480 7.2v. The first 2 are pretty much the same size as the stock motor. Their performance was similar to the stock motor as well. The rpm for the MIG400 7.2v motor is 2227kv and for their MIG480 is 2425kv. They don't have any rpm listed for the MIG400 12v. I would say it is faster however than the stock motor. The other motor rpm's I got off of Mega Motors usa website which is here=}http://www.megamotorusa.com/ I tried each of these motors seperatly in the same mini-v with the same set-up for each and tried different batteries with each. Of the three the 480 ran the hottest temperature wise. the 400 12V ran the coolest especially on 11.1v lipos. Now keep in mind that I had the same cooling on each of them which at the time amounted to being a coil on the back the motors. I have tried some other car motors, and they had plenty of speed, but they heat way too fast and will not last very long. I think this is pretty much what I've done with mine other than trying to make one brushless, but that is entirely another story. Hope this helps some.