Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta or Wye

fairly interesting and possibly has some input on this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=24

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    fairly interesting and possibly has some input on this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=24
    Thanks, interesting.
    Your thoughts on flux capacitors ?
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

I don't remember reading the word flux capacitor in there.
    unless you are talking about it's age

lol

I don't remember reading the word flux capacitor in there.
    unless you are talking about it's age
    Goes to show what's old terminology these days ... late 80's I think.. although there is some conjecture it was seen around '55 ...
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

I understand the whole 88mph (kmh?) and then the flux capacitor goes of thing.
    I just don't understand what you are referring to..

I wondering if it's possible to determine a motors wind by looking in the can? I have a leopard that nobody knows the wind on...

if you see a point (usually with shrink wrap around it) where three wires meet inside the can, it's a y wind motor.
    just by looking at the case you won't be able to determine unless it's written on it.

How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I wondering if it's possible to determine a motors wind by looking in the can? I have a leopard that nobody knows the wind on...
    Kv? spin at a known rpm and measure voltage between any 2 phase leads... do the math ..~=rpm/V
    Delta/Wye ?.. unplug all leads to motor.. spin the rotor like heck for a few secs.. if this builds force against rotation then it is wye...spinning mags charge open coils, causes opposing force against mags... As D the charge is passed between all 3 winds thus no residual.

easy !
    W
    Last edited by drwayne; 02-29-2012 at 10:50 PM.

I understand the whole 88mph (kmh?) and then the flux capacitor goes of thing.
    I just don't understand what you are referring to..
    You've answered your own question...

if you see a point (usually with shrink wrap around it) where three wires meet inside the can, it's a y wind motor.
    just by looking at the case you won't be able to determine unless it's written on it.
    cough.

Delta have 3 points where 3 meet.... Y only one.. the chance is 3:1 you get it wrong
    Last edited by drwayne; 02-29-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: speed tyyype error.

okay, the delta points go to the input wires, the wye is tree wires all connected to windings on the stator.

okay, the delta points go to the input wires, the wye is tree wires all connected to windings on the stator.
    give up, dude....... you've nfi.. Im grumbly because your advice is poorly structured, problematic in execution.. and wrong !

W

Why do you (boaterguy) insist on chiming in on nearly every single thread with incorrect info? Seems every time you give "advice" someone need to come in a re-direct so the OP is getting the correct info.
    I agree..... give up.
    You need to learn through experience before you start giving out advice.

Agree!!! Been happening a very long time. One can only hope a new boater with zero experience has not spent his money on your advise...

Hey Boaterguy(Brydon)
    What you said above was kind of correct..but there's much more to add for clarity, usability, and practicality... the answer that popped into your head was not a good solution.
    Knowledge is a powerful thing, mate.... So too is knowing your limitations.

Knowledge comes from a lot of reading ( learn how others burnt things ), a lot of browning your own stuff ( learn from your own mistakes ) , and by joining a group of like minded people who challenge the boundaries of existing equipment ..

Dont go hide, mate ... hang around !
    You read like an intelligent young bloke who has found a hobby that excites and entertains .. well done.... some folks go a whole life without direction or pursuits..

Experience the subject matter at hand, and become more articulate in your dispensation of that info.. and one day you may be heralded a demi-god of FE !

Right now, you're just green............

regs
    DocW

Delta/Wye ?.. unplug all leads to motor.. spin the rotor like heck for a few secs.. if this builds force against rotation then it is wye...spinning mags charge open coils, causes opposing force against mags... As D the charge is passed between all 3 winds thus no residual.

easy !
    W[/QUOTE]
    not sure i understand what you mean but,i sorta do lol, if that makes any sense haha! ill give it a shot, thanks =)

so, i spun it for a bit and it really didnt seem to build up any tension against rotation…. but how can i be sure? do i have to take the endbell off?

It wont build up wrist snapping tension, merely a physical resistance to rotation.
    After the spin cycle, test the rotational drag against turning by hand slower..... 'tight' .. touch the 3 leads together, release, and spin again.. you would notice a marked reduction in 'drag' against the spin after the leads touch.

At uni 'naughty' ppl would charge up non-terminated Y wind motors for a nasty zap to the unwary ... the energy is stored in the coils.. and acts against rotation .

No, I was never naughty
    W

im not noticing a difference. i did notice when you hold leads together and spin there is alot of tension

i just noticed steve posted the wind on this motor finally. its 3.5 d

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Get the boat on the water and test different timing values. If you always listen to what someone else says works, its most likely you will always come in 2nd place.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    im not noticing a difference. i did notice when you hold leads together and spin there is alot of tension
    lesson#2.. how to determine if wind is delta...

What Steve said. Half b.s. , half truth. Your own testing will determine success.

You can recognize the difference between a Delta or Wye winding just by looking at the back end of any motor. There aint no way to make any connection at the front so all motors can be easily recognized by doing a visual at the arse end. Here you go. First picture shows a Delta wind on a Neu, Second one is a Wye from a CC/Neu. You can clearly see that a Wye has 4 connections. And a Delta only has 3.

John

Change is the one Constant

Does anyone know if Neu motors offers a configuration in both delta and wye like the bigger lehners do? If so do you think its worth it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12