Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ESC Cooling Concept- Theory and Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post
    Did you put the whole thing in the freezer after attaching the ESC via 'grease'?

If so, did you seal the ESC with anything?

Just wondering about the condensation as everything starts to thaw.

This is great stuff, keep up the good work!
    No, Just the Blue Ice pac with attached copper sink went in the freezer. The ESC is added just before a run.

The ESC in the pics is one of many 100 and 200 amp ESC's that I fried. I am waiting on 4 new ones to actually test. I used it to determine the correct dimensions of the copper heat sink.

The ESC MUST be sealed. I do this by spraying on numerous coats of Silicon coating. SOme guys brush it on, others dip it....so there is a variety of methods but the ESC MUST be conformal coated. You are correct about the condensation also. This is the main reason to insure the ESC is coated.

I will mount the ESC after the copper plate comes out of the freezer. The new T-Clad Bond Ply 450 that I mentioned in a previous entry shows great potential here. I will have a simple mounting system that secures the ESC to the copper heat sink so proper contact and maximum heat transfer is obtained. This way I just reach into my ice chest, get a new cooling unit and strap it to the same ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    There are virtually 1000's of small boxes with lids that could be filled with blue and frozen to actually fit on top of the ESC fets with the termo tape with very little weight if that is the idea. No need for larger. A small copper plate mounted on the box, even alum plate would be fine for that cold, then freeze it and you can even hold it on the ESC fets with two rubber bands. It would be very cold.

I do worry about condensation but at what point that would happen is undetermined yet. No matter if the gel begins to met as it would still have plenty of cold....maybe not frozen yet only left in the cooler of ice so it gel is still very cold....which should do plenty.
    Congrats.......you really have put on your thinking cap! This is a unit I built yesterday out of an Altoid breath mint box. (Pictures attached) You can play with your FE's and have kissing-sweet breath now at the same time!

The pictures show it all. First the unit is smaller and lighter than the standard Blue Ice Plastic Pac. I weighs a mere 4.4 oz or 146 grams without the Blue Ice and 7.8 ounces or 222 grams filled with the frozen Blue Ice. This is a bit less than the 9 ounces or 256 grams from the Plastic Blue Ice system.

The new system has many advantages. First the metal Altoid tin transfers the cold much better than the plastic Blue Ice pac. This also applies to the Tupperware-type containers you mention. In addition, it is easy to solder the twin heat conducting tubes to the Altoid tin and copper heat sink for maximum cooling. This greatly helps the water outflow directed to cooling the motor.

I think the pictures tell it all. There are a few more refinements to be made but this concept looks potentially very feasible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey there you go!

Now I am thinking smaller yet or even and old asprin tin or others that fit the ESC.... Just put the tin on the thermo tape to use and water cooling on sides of the tin to run to the motor (the cooling lines will be in contact with more cold on the sides... Why try to cool the plate and then ESC? Direct contact and cooling lines could actually be inside that will go to the motor only.

Got to be an easy way...KISS.

We know the motor needs cooling and water passing in the lines will certainly help but not the best...unless the coils can be put inside the can and sealed,

Another...I think these will be a perfect set up with the right size. Even cold gel is very cold and stays cold.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...ROD&ProdID=331

Hey there you go!

Now I am thinking smaller yet or even and old asprin tin or others that fit the ESC.... Just put the tin on the thermo tape to use and water cooling on sides of the tin to run to the motor (the cooling lines will be in contact with more cold on the sides... Why try to cool the plate and then ESC? Direct contact and cooling lines could actually be inside that will go to the motor only.

Got to be an easy way...KISS.

We know the motor needs cooling and water passing in the lines will certainly help but not the best...unless the coils can be put inside the can and sealed,
    Word of caution...do not try to go too small. I think an asprin tin may be good for a 30 amp ESC. For the big boys you need to pull out lots of heat. I only deal with the 100 to 200 amp ESC's.

It is not the water cooling that is helping the ESC to any great extent....it is the massive cold sink with the copper contacting the FET's In turn, it is the Blue Ice in the Altoid tin that is keeping the copper sink cold. The amount of Blue Ice needed, thus the size of the contaner, depends on just how much heat must be pulled out. In my opinion you can never get a big ESC too cold!

I should do some math.........Possibly we could get away with a giant copper heat sink that is put into the freezer before use. We could "store" a lot of cold in this highly conductive hunk of metal.....maybe enough to cool a big ESC on a 5 minute run? Where is that old slide rule? The downside to this is that we do not take advantage of the latent heat of melting, (some times called the latent heat of fusion), as ice changes state into water or the Blue Ice goes from a solid to a gel

The term latent heat refers to the amount of energy absorbed by a chemical substance, such as water, during a change of state (ice to liquid) that occurs without changing its temperatue. For water, 144 BTU's per poundare absorbed in the ice to water. This is why you can put your beer in a cold water stream but it never gets really cold. You need to put it into an ice chest so the menting ice can "pull" the heat out of your Bud.

Lots to consider..........and experiment with!

Another...I think these will be a perfect set up with the right size. Even cold gel is very cold and stays cold.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...ROD&ProdID=331
    Great find...I think they will be perfect.

I am curious about the benefit of pickup water circulation through the ESC at all.

Won't the water, being at a higher temperature than the frozen material actually increase the speed of defrosting? This may be different if you are staying with a closed loop water circulation system and not using pond water at all.

I think I am leaning toward your solid frozen block without circulation idea. Just swap them out before each run. I guess they will need to be of sufficient size however.

I am curious about the benefit of pickup water circulation through the ESC at all.

Won't the water, being at a higher temperature than the frozen material actually increase the speed of defrosting? This may be different if you are staying with a closed loop water circulation system and not using pond water at all.

I think I am leaning toward your solid frozen block without circulation idea. Just swap them out before each run. I guess they will need to be of sufficient size however.
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I had to build all the hardware and do all the tests but that is the conclusion I arrived at.....and the data shows it!

Now that you have the punchline, I can show you just how I went about it.

First, my package of Mystery controllers arrive after a bit over 3 weeks. Packageg in a plain brown wrapper, I got 2 of the 100 Amps ESC's and 2 of the 200 Amp ESC's. (picture shows differences) I put on all the appropriate connectors and much to my surprise they all worked! I knew I was off to a good start. With the controllers working, I established temperature baseline conditions on the "stock" Mystery ESC's. I used three thermistors tied into my Eagle Tree data logger. One thermistor on the heatsink under the Mystery label, one inside the controller from the Power lead side and the last one into the controller from the 3-wire motor side.

I wanted to do lots of testing on these ESC'a and did not want to burn them up in the first few hours so I am limiting my initial testing to a 2S 40C 5000mAhr pac and limiting the current to 10 amps for about 70 watts delivered to a 540 XL mounted in my water bath test stand (see previous post for details of the test setup)

Even at low amps the temperature of the two thermisters shoved inside the shrink wrap of the ESC's got above 102 degrees. Measurements taken on the outside of the heat sink under the Mystery label were always about 8 degrees cooler. (all temps in degrees F) Amazing, with only 70 watts supplied to the ESC's the temps were around 102 degrees and that was measured NOT on the FET's but just inside the shrink wrap!

It was clear to me I would have to mount thermistors inside the ESC directly next to the FET's to really find out the temperatures they are exposed to.

I also designed some copper heat sinks with cooling tubes and even ones that integrated a small 12 VDC high velocity computer fan and heat sink. More on the testing and the results in the next post. You will be amazed at the actual test results!

Great informative thread.
    Since we are speculating on cooling methods, I thought I would throw my idea in the mix.

I noticed you mentioned that one of your heat sinks had heat pipes in it. I was wondering if you had given any thought to using heat pipes by themselves to transfer heat from the heat sink or Peltier plate to the exterior of the hull? On the outside of the hull the heat pipes could attach to another heat sink or plate that would either contact cool air or water.
    I hear that they are actually making flexible heat pipes now, which would make installation and day to day use a little more practical.
    Also the one of the biggest benefits, if it works efficient enough, would be no water condensation to worry about.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Brad
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

Most fish pumps I find were air not water but I will look. I found a very small round one that weighs nothing and only $12.

I also want a 6v for slow flow and then just a small pack of 2s would run it for a long time and actually bump it up a bit with flow.

My thought is why not be able to begin cooling prior to running. We used to do that with brushed and it made a big difference.

I remember people putting pumps in the cooler with water and hooking to the cooling system and circulating. Mags do much better at cool temps.
    If your still looking for pumps check out bilge pumps, there are some pretty small ones and they are 12 volt.
    If you want to throttle it down with a small valve always put it on the output of the pump.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Heat Sink Effectiveness using they Mystery 100 Amp ESC

Data from all tests are based on using a 2S, 40C, 5000 mAhr pac, Thermistor adjacent to the FET’s, with 540 XL motor running at 10 amps or about 75 watts in my water bath ESC torture test chamber. Ambient temperature about 80 degrees F. All temperatures in degrees F.

ESC testing configuration FET Temperature at: 1 min 2 min 4 min

“Stock” mystery 100 amp ESC with aluminum heat sink 94.2 100 109.5

I then used a large 5” diameter Sony Model SFF22C
    centrifugal blower drawing .5 amps at 12 VDC to simulate
    conditions of the ESC in the prop wash of an RC plane
    (a small CPU fan is 2: dia and pulls only 0.05 amps) to see how
    the 109.5 temperature would be lowered. With this fan ……. 94.6 90.8 88.6
    (Great cooling but way too big to be practical)

My Copper sink with 12 VDC small CPU fan (fan off) 84.4 88.1 89.4

Above but with the small 2” dia CPU fan on 83.3 86.4 87.2
    (From this you can see the small CPU fan is almost worthless)

And now I saved the best for last………

My Copper sink mated to a frozen Blue Ice Plastic Gel pac 63.2 68.3 76.7
    (and even after 10 minutes of continual running the temperature
    was only 92.6 degrees!)

The Blue Ice pac proved more effective than I anticipated. Even after 10 minutes only about 20% of the pac was melted. That indicated that the Blue Ice container could be potentially smaller BUT remember this 540 XL was only pulling 75 watts!

THE NET RESULT IS THAT AT THE 4 MINUTE RUN PERIOD THE BLUE ICE COOLING PROVIDED A FET TEMPERATURE THAT WAS 32.8 DEGREES COLDER THAN THE STOCK MYSTERY ALUMINUM HEAT SINK. (109.9 - 76.7)

Pictures show various configurations and Blue Ice test set up.

Recommendations and Suggestions?
    Last edited by questtek; 10-18-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Great informative thread.
    Since we are speculating on cooling methods, I thought I would throw my idea in the mix.

I noticed you mentioned that one of your heat sinks had heat pipes in it. I was wondering if you had given any thought to using heat pipes by themselves to transfer heat from the heat sink or Peltier plate to the exterior of the hull? On the outside of the hull the heat pipes could attach to another heat sink or plate that would either contact cool air or water.
    I hear that they are actually making flexible heat pipes now, which would make installation and day to day use a little more practical.
    Also the one of the biggest benefits, if it works efficient enough, would be no water condensation to worry about.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Brad
    All good ideas, Brad. I have two different heat pipe setups that I have been playing with. They are made from 1/4" copper tubing and have an incredible fin arrangement. From the experiments I did I was not impressed with the amount of cooling the heat pipes gave me.......even with a big finned radiator on the heat pipes. There is a degree of complexity with this system so I put it on the shelf for the time being.

If you see my latest thread, I am tending to favor a passive system that uses the Blue Ice gel and NO water cooling. The test results were very promising and I have a few ideas to considerable improve its effectiveness and practicality. The new system will fit perfectly in my Mean Machines and provide incredible passive cooling. I just may be able to keep the inexpensive Mystery ESC's operating for a reasonable time.

Details to follow in a later post. I need to go to my local industrial metal supply store and buy some more 1/4" thick copper plate. I am so glad I have a solution that does not require soldering the copper cooling tubes to the thick copper heat sink. That was a REAL pain.

found a windscreen washer pump that might work as a pump for the closed loop system, anyone else got any ideas for a small pump?
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Like me, I think there are some computer builders out there...

I have cooled a cpu with a frozen padlock (3 in succession) in order to complete a diagnosis and repair.

Keep up this amazing work. I for one (and most likely others) believe this is valuable stuff for the future of FE!!!

Just so everyone knows, you did sand the FET's flat before attaching the copper plate, correct?

At least it appeared that way in the picture. Flush contact with the FET's I believe is essential. One FET failure = total failure.

Unfortunately the Chinese products are not uniform in this.

Don't stop now, you're on a roll...

Quote Originally Posted by crabstick View Post
    found a windscreen washer pump that might work as a pump for the closed loop system, anyone else got any ideas for a small pump?
    If you really want to go with a closed loop system, here is probably the ideal pump...and under $10. Works from 6 to 12 vdc so you could use either a 2s or 3 s pac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your closed loop system.

Just so everyone knows, you did sand the FET's flat before attaching the copper plate, correct?

At least it appeared that way in the picture. Flush contact with the FET's I believe is essential. One FET failure = total failure.

Unfortunately the Chinese products are not uniform in this.

Don't stop now, you're on a roll...
    Yes, glad you mentioned it. You should be able to see it in one of the close up pictures I posted. I used some 220 grit paper on a flat sanding block. It was interesting to note that at least 3 or 4 FET's appeared NOT to be making contact with the heat sink on the "stock" Mystery controllers.

It is clear to me these FET's are seeing lots more heat than anyone probably anticipated. Most ESC temperature measurements are done either by touch on the outer part of the heat sink or a temperature probe/thermistor on the outside. The real trick is to measure the temperature inside, on the FET's.

As a side note, if you examine the temperature data I posted, you can see that even my copper sink with tubes (although I did not have any water running thru them) permitted the FETS to run about 20 degrees cooler. (109.5 - 89.4)

So why is that? The amount of heat transfered is proportional to the mass of the heat sink and its thermal conductivity. The mass or weight of my copper heat sink is 3.5 times that of the stock Mystery aluminum heat sink (2.1 vs 0.6 oz) and the thermal coefficient of copper is 1.6 times that of aluminum, (401 vs 250). Thus, my copper heat sink, when compared to the stock aluminum heat sink is 5.6 TIMES better (3.5 x 1.6), better in terms of overall thermal cooling performance. The downside is that the copper heat sink adds 1.5 oz or 40 grams additional weight.

Glad you are enjoying this forum but its a big thanks to all those contributing unique ideas and innovative suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by questtek View Post
    If you really want to go with a closed loop system, here is probably the ideal pump...and under $10. Works from 6 to 12 vdc so you could use either a 2s or 3 s pac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your closed loop system.

Thank you sir, I might see if I can source one locally, but if not will grab one of those.
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Good stuff.

I might suggest that when you build your plate (for water) that you use 3 cooling lines so you have a water tube over each fet row and not on the edge like other builders do. Why try to cool the plate from the edges when you can solder them right over the fets and draw the heat directly away.

For the pump method this would be best. Even rudder cooling this is certainly a better system then edges.

I guess that the next thing to determine is exactly what size container of Blue Ice would be necessary (with a bit of margin) to complete a run for a given size ESC.

I can see purchasing a small can of specific size (Jeff W. link) then:
    1. place liquid blue ice in a small baggie (the cans with hinges don't appear water tight).
    2. place the baggie in the can and ensure that you get it full.
    3. freeze both.
    4. remove the frozen block from the baggie and 'seal-a-meal' it to size.
    5. repeat as many times as you need for ice blocks.

If you had a bunch of frozen blocks, you could just open the lid of the can and replace the frozen part.

Still need to figure out a good method to attach the can to the copper plate/esc and keep constant pressure on it. Of course keeping the lid closed also.

I guess that the next thing to determine is exactly what size container of Blue Ice would be necessary (with a bit of margin) to complete a run for a given size ESC.

I can see purchasing a small can of specific size (Jeff W. link) then:
    1. place liquid blue ice in a small baggie (the cans with hinges don't appear water tight).
    2. place the baggie in the can and ensure that you get it full.
    3. freeze both.
    4. remove the frozen block from the baggie and 'seal-a-meal' it to size.
    5. repeat as many times as you need for ice blocks.

If you had a bunch of frozen blocks, you could just open the lid of the can and replace the frozen part.

Still need to figure out a good method to attach the can to the copper plate/esc and keep constant pressure on it. Of course keeping the lid closed also.
    Again, you certainly ar on the right track. Maybe what I have done and the pictures I included will give you some more ideas or help solve some of your questions.

In additional testing I concluded the metal box is a poor choice. Sweats too much, hard to seal, not readily/easily available, etc. I have gone back to the plastic container....remember you want an insulator for the container EXCEPT where the copper heat sink of the ESC contacts it. This minimizes sweating.

Finding the perfect size Tupperware container, (4 for 99 cents), I mount it in the Mean Machine as shown in the picture. The container has a good, solid seal.

I then add an internal finned sink to contact more of the Blue Ice and tie that into a copper sink that exactly fits the outer top lid of the container. I fill this with Blue Ice gel, (leave a little ai space for expansion), and out it in the freezer, copper side down.

In the pictures you will also see how I have modified the Mystery controllers
    1. Flat lapped the Fets and put on a copper heat sink that mates to the heat sink on my tupperware Blue Ice container.
    2. Changed the power wires 180 degrees so they come out of the front.
    3. put a thermistor inside to measure actual FRT temperature.
    4. Put on an additional capacitor bank, (three more caps at 470 uF each or 1410 uF aditional to the two 1000 uF caps already on the board. This gives me a total of over 3100 uF, not far from the 5000 uF cap board that ETTI sells.

I wll instrument the entire MM with Eagle Tree sensors including GPS and X-Y acceleration along with all the normal sensors to get rpm, current, pac voltage, etc.

The advantage of this system now for me appears to be ease of use. I can easily build a half dozen of the tupperware containers with Blue Ice and the heat sinks pretty cheap and just keep them in the freezer. The ESC with its copper heat sink on the bottom is in pressure contact with the copper cold plate on the Blue Ice flled tupperware container. I use strong, wide rubber bands to insure there is good copper to copper plate contact. This also makes it very easy to change out the Cooling pac.

Hopefully I can post some actual test results soon. I want to see the effectiveness of cooling at much higher current rates on my 540 XL. Remember now the ESC is passively cooled with no water pipes. This way I can use direct water cooling for the motor meaning it will see colder, ambient water temperature rather that a higher temperature from the water first passing through the ESC first.

Comments and Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by questtek View Post
    All good ideas, Brad. I have two different heat pipe setups that I have been playing with. They are made from 1/4" copper tubing and have an incredible fin arrangement. From the experiments I did I was not impressed with the amount of cooling the heat pipes gave me.......even with a big finned radiator on the heat pipes. There is a degree of complexity with this system so I put it on the shelf for the time being.

If you see my latest thread, I am tending to favor a passive system that uses the Blue Ice gel and NO water cooling. The test results were very promising and I have a few ideas to considerable improve its effectiveness and practicality. The new system will fit perfectly in my Mean Machines and provide incredible passive cooling. I just may be able to keep the inexpensive Mystery ESC's operating for a reasonable time.

Details to follow in a later post. I need to go to my local industrial metal supply store and buy some more 1/4" thick copper plate. I am so glad I have a solution that does not require soldering the copper cooling tubes to the thick copper heat sink. That was a REAL pain.
    Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if the heat pipes were worth the effort to attempt, now I know.

Another question I have is, can you get the FETs too cold?

Keep up the good work!
    Brad
    Last edited by FE Wannabe; 10-19-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added another question

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if the heat pipes were worth the effort to attempt, now I know.

Another question I have is, can you get the FETs too cold?

Keep up the good work!
    Brad
    FET Temps

As the FET temp increases, the current through it decreases. Increasing the temperature of a FET tends to decrease the mobility of the charge carriers in the channel, effectively reducing the current through the channel……..This is out of the Physics lab of the university of California at Berkeley.

Please clue me in when you understand it! Seriously, I believe the vey high temps the FETS see are the major cause of ESC failures. I was really amazed at just how high the temps get even at modest power as measured by a thermistor placed next to the FETS. I cannot imagine there ever being a condition where the temps are too cold...unless possibly if you run them in liquid nitrogen. Even with a Blue Ice sink the temps were never too cold. So for now I will just try to keep them as cold as possible.

New Mystery Build
    I have made an number of modifications to the 100 and 200 Amp Mysery ESC's
    1. Rerouted power (battery lines) 180 degrees and replace with 10 guage flex silicon wire and large bullet connectors.
    2. Integrated an "anti Cap Spark" line with 100 ohm 1 wat resistor (red silicon line, 16 guage).
    3. Replaced the stock caps with Four 1000 mfd caps, 35 vdc on the top of the board. Total now 4000mfd.
    4. added a thermistor to the caps to monitor their temp (see pic for close up)
    5. added thermistor to measure direct FET temp.
    6. Flat-lapped Fets and mounted a large heat custom copper heat sink with 2 copper cooling tubes (this can be expanded to 4 tubes if necessary.
    7. Used a special 2-part Epoxy that had tremendous thermal conducton properties and great sealing ability to bond the FET's to the copper heat sink.
    8 I will use this thermally conductive expxy to encapsulate the entire board to make it waterproof as well as the ability to provide optimum heat transfer
    9. rewired the 3-wire RC receiver cable two thermistor cables so ALL cables exit from the same side.

Lots of work but I just took all the suggestions on the forums and incorporated all that made engineering sense.

Stay tuned for the testing!

If possible show pics of how you encapsulate in epoxy.

Too bad you cannot obtain even smaller tupperware containers given the temps so far.

Picture is attached but its not real pretty. The thermal conductive encapsulating epoxy the texture of honey only black in color. It takes about 24 hours to room cure or only a couple of hours at an elevated temperature.

I build dam out of black electrical tape and just drop the thermally conducting but electrically passive epoxy into it. It would be easy if I built a small silicon mold, but this is not mas production, just testing.

Not sure how small you can go on the plastic container. Remember I was running at 75 watts and that 540 xl should crank close to a thousand watts peak I belive.

My new Blue ice packs have a black heat sink inside that is thermally bonded to the outer commper plate that the ESC rests on. This way the frozen blue ice gel is always in contact. Pic is attached on this heat sink arrangement. Hope this helps.

Good stuff.

I might suggest that when you build your plate (for water) that you use 3 cooling lines so you have a water tube over each fet row and not on the edge like other builders do. Why try to cool the plate from the edges when you can solder them right over the fets and draw the heat directly away.

For the pump method this would be best. Even rudder cooling this is certainly a better system then edges.
    I took me a while to machine a new copper heat sink out of solid stock but I made several of them; both 2- tube and 4- tube versions This is one MOTHER of a heat sink. I can not wait to see the test results. The end tubes are sealed with black thermal conductive epoxy.

Keep up the good suggestions.

PS, I also added a cooling place and thermistor to the upgraded Cap package. I doubled the caps to 4000 uf and with a termistor between them it will be interesting to see what happens. On one version I even copper heat sinked the caps with a thermistor under them to monitor the cap temps at high amp rates.

Default great r&d guys

hope to see some type of proto: type for those chinese esc's but nice attemp for helping spare some bucks for the newbe in fe as you all know it's cost a lot to import these high end german or eu stuff.

What is the chance of putting any kind of plate between those boards? Anything would help. I thought putting something between them where the bottom of the fets and then board will not short by using a piece of rubber or something like that.. File any tips off so they are not as sharp. IF we could get those other 2 boards on the 200 amp version to cool a bit. I have not taken one apart and do not have one. That was the reason I was trying to find single layer boards with more than 125 amp rating...the suppo model is one layer for HV 200 amp.

NICE job on the block....I would suspect 4 outlet version that can add a large amount of cooling and make it more even.

Great work!

What is the chance of putting any kind of plate between those boards? Anything would help. I thought putting something between them where the bottom of the fets and then board will not short by using a piece of rubber or something like that.. File any tips off so they are not as sharp. IF we could get those other 2 boards on the 200 amp version to cool a bit. I have not taken one apart and do not have one. That was the reason I was trying to find single layer boards with more than 125 amp rating...the suppo model is one layer for HV 200 amp.

NICE job on the block....I would suspect 4 outlet version that can add a large amount of cooling and make it more even.

Great work!
    I have a number of 100 and 200 AMP Mystery controllers, (and others), that have gone south. Not uniquely, the main, top control board looks to be identical on most of these controllers listed under various brand names. This is why I have included a picture of the controller side of the ESC so those who have different controllers can match it up.

On the flip side of the top controller board are 18 FETs arranges in three rows of 6 each row. These manufactures rate this single board (controller and 16 FETs on the flip side) at around 60 AMPs. Ass a second board with 16 FETs only and you have it into a 100 AMP rated controller. Add an identical (to the second) FET board and now you have a 200 AMP rated ESC. They do change the caps on each of the models. Also, to throw buyers off, the different mfgs add different types and arrangements of caps, ie: two 100 uf caps, five 300 or 540 uf caps, etc. Aside from these changes, (also the shrink wrap and label), they all look like they came out of the same litter.

Back to your point about cooling the center FET board. Excellent idea and this is what I am working on/testing. At this time to me, it does NOT appear practical or feasible to sandwich a metal plate between them. Instead I plan to fill this void with the black conductive epoxy I am using. The product is excellent. Using it will contact ALL of the FETs plus make it waterproof. Remember, this is also considered an encapsulating epoxy. I think this might be the best, workable solution, at least at this time.

My 4-tube copper heat sink is a real jewel. It adds a bit of weight but so would a V-12 engine if you dropped it into a Pinto.

What I am finding is there at least 5 or 6 different mods that should be made to this type of ESC to make it potentially operate reasonably in a FE. My approach is to build the water test stand and instrument the pants off the buggers so that some logical, engineering-based mods can be made to improve its performance and reliability. I believe the basic design of these ESC’s is good however for operation in a demanding FE…………well, that’s a different story that is unfolding quite slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast