Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $400 ESC poll

Default $400 ESC poll

Just curious if you had $400 to spend on a ESC, which one you would choose?

I am only going to limit the poll to the two ESC's I am considering.
    I really want to get another Hydra 180 ESC but the last one dying for no reason that I can tell has left me a bit concerned.

On one hand I have the Castle that they will repair if there is a problem within 1 year and they are here in the US. On the other hand there is the Shulze 24.150, I hear they are just about bulletproof but if there ever is a issue hear shipping it back is very expensive. I don't hear of many of the Shulze ESC's burning up even though I am sure they do so what ESC would you choose?

Castle Hydra 180HV
    Shulze 24.150
    Team Liquid Dash

I like Castle and have one HV-180, LV-240 and LV-120 in the past that was burned ( pilot error ). Wicked ESCs and when you are able to use your USB, it just makes this product even more fun to play with. There is probably way more CC esc's in north America and that is why we can not hear about other brands problems. Having this guys just arround the corner if you need them, that is just another million dollars. I had a chance to deal with CC support and I will tell you, 100% satisfaction.... So my pick is Castle for sure....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

I second that. I have cooked many castles and have come to realize that this is just the way it is. But there support and service is fantastic and i never had to question anything . I have sent them back after they where ingulfed in flames with nothing left. Good times.LOL I really keep a few on hand and just rotate them in my SAW boat.

neither I dont feel either are worth the money and wont promote their gouging of their customers
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    neither I dont feel either are worth the money and wont promote their gouging of their customers
    Fair enough, what is your pick and why?
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    Fair enough, what is your pick and why?
    If you forced one on me Id have to go with the Shulze 24.150 . their programming and service are better. CC is taking up to 6 months now for any service on esc's

Why not try a HI-Model 4-8s 200 amp for about $55.00? I've had 2 and have had no issues. I did however add a cooling plate and waterproof it.

Heel, you could buy 7 of them for the price of the Schulze!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Heel, you could buy 7 of them for the price of the Schulze!
    My point exactly, they both have Fairchild FET's and the Himodel has more of them so why is it 400.00? by the way its: (Schulze)
    Last edited by rockwerks; 10-09-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Cool

My point exactly, they both have Fairchild FET's and the Himodel has more of them so why is it 400.00?
    Proven reliability over many years is why. An ESC is far more than just a handful of fancy FETs.

The only two 40-160s I've seen burn up were used in SAW boats running 14S after making too many passes through the lights. No one has proven that the cheap-brand ESCs are anywhere near as reliable for true high power use. I'm not saying that you can't damage a Schulze, but their proven reliability in extreme conditions is a fact that other ESCs cannot match. Some boaters are willing to pay for that proven technology, some will buy cheaper ESCs that don't last under lesser conditions. Your choice.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Proven reliability over many years is why. An ESC is far more than just a handful of fancy FETs.

The only two 40-160s I've seen burn up were used in SAW boats running 14S after making too many passes through the lights. No one has proven that the cheap-brand ESCs are anywhere near as reliable for true high power use. I'm not saying that you can't damage a Schulze, but their proven reliability in extreme conditions is a fact that other ESCs cannot match. Some boaters are willing to pay for that proven technology, some will buy cheaper ESCs that don't last under lesser conditions. Your choice.

Proven Un reliability you meant to say right? (CC) at least

Like I said, I haven't had an issue. I ran one in a Toysport Triton on 6s2p, KB45 8XL and M645. It was perfectly reliable. But maybe I should have spent over 300 more dollars huh? I guess my question would be: what boat is this esc going in and what will the proposed setup be?

Why not try a HI-Model 4-8s 200 amp for about $55.00? I've had 2 and have had no issues. I did however add a cooling plate and waterproof it.
    where can this be purchased?

JMO I would go with the Shulze 24-150, after seeing Peter Zica's boats run on the Shulze 40-160's these esc's made me a believer that these are the best out there hands down. Ya the price is more than a high model but for a fact I wouldn't put my high model or Castle through what the Shulze esc's can handle. I've been looking at the 24-150 myself to use in a 35" build down the road.

Ken
    DF-29,Phil Thomas Super Sport 45, SV27, Xzess 2 Evo, HOTR 32" Cat

Quote Originally Posted by chummer View Post
    where can this be purchased?
    http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo...-200A-BEC.html

you need to waterproof it and watercool it.

.. so it comes down to you get what you paid for....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

No, not really at all. Look at Castle's products and the poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    .. so it comes down to you get what you paid for....
    Very far from the truth when it comes to electronics, Id put a 35.00 mystery esc against a 350.00 Castle Creations and Id bet the Mystery will perform as good if not better.

i would take any of the above. none of mine have lasted long enough to justify a comment.they always cook because of something i do .like run too long or to large of prop or running wet. i have a hi model 200 waterproofed and water cooled. i am treating her like a queen.i had a used hex 120 a long time till i got her wet. a hydra 120 for a long time until i switched to lipos. i am not use to that much power!smoked a mystery 100. i think the cooling plate hit the leads. i think if you play it safe which ever one you can afford is your best bet. just mt 2 peso's.

I made this post with two choices for a reason, I don't want a Himodel, Mystery or any other ESC than the two that I listed. Yes I know they are $55 and I may be wasting my money in some people's opinion but I am going to have a lot of money tied up into a boat and I want a ESC that is proven and reliable. So far my CC esc's have been holding up great with the exception of my 180HV that died this season, no burn or nothing just died. They replaced it with a 240HV for a little extra coin but I am really interested in the "SCHULZE", there I spelled it right.
    Team Liquid Dash

Hey guy's,,,, READ......... Raydee said between HV-180 and 24.150.......

Ray runs his boats very fast and expects alot out of his equipment,, to even suggest that he should use a HM-200 esc is a JOKE!!!! Give the man some RESPECT.. He has a TOP of the LINE SS45 Hydro hull and HIGH END 1527 motor with the latest G3 lipos... It would be an insult to this setup,, to run a HM-200... Can you think of the black CRAP and SMELL that POS would cause in that NICE, HIGH $$$ setup....

Come on guy's,,, he is not "trying to save a buck"... He is looking for "QUALITY" equipment,,, like FLUID said,,, with a reputation of RELIABILITY in a real world RACE setup....

Get the 24.150!! Mine works great, just need the USB link to adjust timming for D wind Neu motors... JMO
    Nothing like keeping you lipos warm and your prop wet!!

Ray,,, LMAO.... You posted it as I was writing it..... ESP.......LOL

Sorry to get off topic. tx, have you smoked a himodel or know anyone that has. I would also go Schulze over Castle .

Just a question

Why not consider the $400 new etti 200 hv ?
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Quote Originally Posted by txboatpilot View Post
    Hey guy's,,,, READ......... Raydee said between HV-180 and 24.150.......

Ray runs his boats very fast and expects alot out of his equipment,, to even suggest that he should use a HM-200 esc is a JOKE!!!! Give the man some RESPECT.. He has a TOP of the LINE SS45 Hydro hull and HIGH END 1527 motor with the latest G3 lipos... It would be an insult to this setup,, to run a HM-200... Can you think of the black CRAP and SMELL that POS would cause in that NICE, HIGH $$$ setup....
    same a exact smell as a Castle Creations since it is basically all the same parts.

Sorry to get off topic. tx, have you smoked a himodel or know anyone that has. I would also go Schulze over Castle .
    YES SIR! I have tested 8/ HM-200 esc's,,, all have failed when setup in a race boat... Mabey 1-3 runs then either puff's on plug in or craps out while running... I only speak from expirence,, I never make comments on things I dont have any personal expierence with... I can also give you email and names of 2 other club members here that have been through at least 10-12 of the HM-200's... Things are usally CHEAP for a reason...... That has been my expirence with FE equipment...

As I said,,, I have a few Schulze's including the 24.150... All are great esc's andd should never be compared to CHINA esc's... Kinda like talkin about Lambo's and Kia's........... Nuff said........

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    Just a question

Why not consider the $400 new etti 200 hv ?
    CHINA.............

I have a friend in our club running a 32" DF Storm P-mono,, he has tried the ETTI 150 with 4-5 runs it was TOAST.... Switched to CC 240 and no problems or heat issues......... I personall have never ran an ETTI,, this is most likly why............

hey tex. i dont think anyone is disrespeting anyone here . speaking only for myself only. i said i burnt a hi end, a middle end esc and a cheap esc. all of them were probably my fault. but the middle or the cheap still allow me to buy cleats, books or food for my kids. the cheap ones dont smell as bad as the( top of the line)lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    same a exact smell as a Castle Creations since it is basically all the same parts.
    Yea,, the smell is universal!! But at least CC will help the customer with warranty and replacement........ I can say, I have had a few CC's quit for NO known reason,, but have ALWAYS been more that HAPPY with thier warranty and customer service.. Only CC's I have ever SMOKED were totally MY FUALT pushing the limits.... That is over 3 years and 20-30 CC esc's that I have been through..... Pretty good track record if you ask me!

Never toasted a Schulze,,, but I would hate to have to deal with them for warranty... I have heard they say "user error" 99% of the time..... At least I can call CC and talk to them,, that is a big plus.....

you smoked 20 to 30 esc in three years .holy moly!i burn 2 a season and i run every day in season. i live on a pond. once a esc shows problems thats when it lets go.cheap or expensive.@ 200 a esc thats 4 to 6 g,s in three years ! i thought i had the bug!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast