Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VS-1 and FE

Default VS-1 and FE

For those of you racing your VS-1s as a FE boat what do you think about the boat overall?

Maybe provide us with some setups and race results.

Thanks

Grimracer

A FE version would be awesome IMO!!

A FE VS1 is my dream boat. I just don't know enough about FE boats to make myself one yet.

Mike, I personally don't own one,
    from what I have seen from Tony, it's
    a very nice platform, stable, corners well,
    can take the OPC power with grace and does not
    require a boat load of tweaking to do so.
    I am not sure what kinda changes the boys up north
    are doing to their hulls, but Tony was telling me they are very fast...
    it would be nice to hear their opinions and perhaps some of
    the mods they have done to achieve such feat.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Mike, I've owned and raced two TS-2's ; one with stock and one with modded bottom. Took a first in class at WW IV with the stock one. David Newland does superbly with his TS-2.
    I Switched to the VS-1 and like it way better. The main difference I've noticed is that the VS-1, besides being faster in the straights, corners flat, the TS-2, no matter what I've tried, hops in the corners. Viva 'la VS-1 !
    The only mod from stock on my VS-1 is a notched transom to get the pivot pin further indide the rear sponsons. Not sure this was necessary, but you've previously mentioned this. Hyperformance angle drive with lengthened fin, UL-1 motor, Zippy/Flightmax 4S 30C 5000/ Grimracer 42/55 de-tounged & mildly cupped.
    Hydra 120 ( 'cause I had one sitting around).
    I've watched Brian just SHRED the 2-lap with the same setup using the Bullet drive, which will be my next choice. { his prop was "special" of course.}
    The build was time consuming ; radio box & seven waterproof pass-throughs in back. A dedicated FE version with these pieces in place would be sweet ! [ hint, hint]
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Grim, I have built two FE VS-1's. The first one I sold to Hugh Ebner, he just placed 2nd at a florida race a couple weeks ago. My new VS1 FE is actually a better design than that one. The boat will run full speed threw a 25ft diameter circle with no issues. The boat is extremely stable and DOES NOT BLOW OFF! I had terrible luck with the VS1 as nitro but as FE its perfect! I use an REK lower, prather mount, hyperformance FE conv, flex, and propshaft, ul-1 motor, turnigy 120a boat esc, and flightmax zippy 4 cell 5000 pack. The boat radars about 48-50 mph with your 42X55 stock, unmodded prop. Its a great setup. I am working on setting up a vision 20, sniper 20, htb 290, and leecraft xtr-21 right now. I have the hulls, just not all of the electrics yet. Once I have all of those done I will be doing a little race test of the 5 boats! Should be fun! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

^^^^ Pictures??? ^^^^

I will put them up tonight. I am working from my phone right now and it would take all day to post them! They are on my photobucket, user name spoonefcrx. You might be able to find them that way. Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

i have problems with mine rolling sometimes in the turns over wakes. should i move cg toward the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    i have problems with mine rolling sometimes in the turns over wakes. should i move cg toward the rear?
    Not sure what to tell you. I remember at WW V when Dick Roberts & me were side-by-side in typical racewater conditions in turn one & we both rolled at the same place at the same time.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

so its a common problem

how much does the nitro motor and lower weigh compared to a electric setup, i use a rek lower and bj combo

I don't know, maybe Mike {Cybercrxt} does.

im wondering if i add some lead to the motor if it will help this

im wondering if i add some lead to the motor if it will help this
    The lower the weight, the better the anti-roll effect.

Mike-Do you have Ball's record OPC time from the Nat's? I think it as a 1:52 to my best 2:02.

My TS-2 won't win anymore IMO. Too much of a tank. 2 major sponson mods helped tremendously, but it doesn't run as "happy" as the VS-1's and the other drivers and their setups are getting better and better each day. My hull is max'd out.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    Mike-Do you have Ball's record OPC time from the Nat's? I think it as a 1:52 to my best 2:02.

My TS-2 won't win anymore IMO. Too much of a tank. 2 major sponson mods helped tremendously, but it doesn't run as "happy" as the VS-1's and the other drivers and their setups are getting better and better each day. My hull is max'd out.
    Dave,

It was a 1:52.

Have you set up a VS-1 yet? I would love to hear your thoughts between it and your TS-2. My observation is the VS-1 is faster in the straights, but is't as stable as the TS-2 and the TS-3 that I had at the nats. I really like the idea of the longer more stable hull rather than the shorter faster hull.

We will see in the spring. I hope to convence the other club memebers that OPC is another great class that we should add for next year. If that ends up being the case, I will be setting up a VS-1. I had a great time driving Grim's tunnel at the NAT's! That was the only one of his boats I didn't bust up.

Later,
    Ball

Haha, its funny everyone had a rolling problem with the vs1 nitro, cause that was my problem too! I talked to grim some, and he asked if my k&b skeg was stock length...it was, so I cut it down a good bit, and that helped a lot. I also had to raise the prop shaft, but it still had some issues. FE with this hull has been great. I think its actually able to have a faster top speed because the battery helps keep the hull down. I cannot wait to get the sniper and vision hulls FE. Could be incredible with more top speed ablity! Mike

thats strange cause he had properchopper add to his skeg for his fe vs-1

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    The lower the weight, the better the anti-roll effect.
    And I think Tony means "Lower", as in lower in the hull, as well... More weight down REALLY low will actually help keep it from rolling... So get your batteries and EVERYTHING else as low as possible...

On my WoodStuff 28 Tunnel, on the advice of a buddy in Australia, I was able to lower my motor down about 1.1" on the lower unit (required custom made flex shafts), which helped a TON!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yeah Kris made me short shafts for my Hornet, and it handles wonderfully as FE! Mike

To much steering rate will roll you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Have you set up a VS-1 yet? I would love to hear your thoughts between it and your TS-2. My observation is the VS-1 is faster in the straights, but is't as stable as the TS-2 and the TS-3 that I had at the nats. I really like the idea of the longer more stable hull rather than the shorter faster hull.

We will see in the spring. I hope to convence the other club memebers that OPC is another great class that we should add for next year. If that ends up being the case, I will be setting up a VS-1. I had a great time driving Grim's tunnel at the NAT's! That was the only one of his boats I didn't bust up.

Later,
    Ball
    I don't have a future OPC build at this point in time. I'm going to do a little research so by 2/10 I should have something new. That's probably the next race I'll be attending. It's the Az Nitro event and they let us run FE classes, assuming NAMBA Dist 19 allows them on the schedule for 2010. There was previous talk about them skipping 2010, so I'll know more in December after the Annual Meeting.

It's too bad Nayman, Proulx, Buass and Jordan didn't get to run their OPC's in Michigan. That would have been 4 more sub 2:00 OPC's on the course. Some of them sub 1:50 I bet.

Yup, I meant "the lower in the Hull the weight is, the better the anti-roll characteristics"

The stock Angle Drive did come with a rather small skeg which might have resulted in spinouts, so at Mike's advice I did lengthen it. I think I nailed it because it corners just right, in fact if I get a little too frisky I can broadslide it some - not really recommended in racewater BTW. What I liked about the Angle Drive was that it does have a rather low motor mounting location and the Fuller's adaptor bolts right on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by properchopper; 10-10-2009 at 07:03 AM.

i knew you meant lower in the hull

whats your cg at proper, if you dont mind me askin

The hull on my VS-1 is stock with a bunch of time spent blueprinting the bottom. It runs a Heperformance bulletdrive and adaptor, UL-1 motor/esc. The only aero mod wasy adding a couple winglets up on the flats at the front of the cowl for some extra downforce. 1614abc or 42x55 are my 2 favorite props.

I really like the boat. but I wouldn't mind having one that was stretched about 3 inches.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

whats your cg at proper, if you dont mind me askin
    8.5 " from rear sponson tip.

Since we're talkin' tunnel, here's my next OPC build : a virgin Herb Stewart hull.
    Asymmetrical sponsons & all. Maybe a little heavy for spec power, might be a good platform for an outrunner !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Since we're talkin' tunnel, here's my next OPC build : a virgin Herb Stewart hull.
    Asymmetrical sponsons & all. Maybe a little heavy for spec power, might be a good platform for an outrunner !
    27"???

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

29.5 " Built like a brick ____house !! OPC demolition derby, here I come !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast