Thread: Model Boats anyone?

Default Model Boats anyone?

I have FE cats. But, there are times i would like to go to the pond and run model boat with other model boaters too. Just wonder who in here also have model boats.

Bought this Saint Tropez the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been hankerin to get a sail boat again. I used to sail every weekend with a group of guys when I was living back in Cali.. Not sure which one to get though

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post
    I've been hankerin to get a sail boat again. I used to sail every weekend with a group of guys when I was living back in Cali.. Not sure which one to get though
    I was tempted to get a sail boat once. Take a look here.
    http://unitedhobbies.com/hobbycity/s...&ParentCat=254

Tony, that's a beautiful boat ! Scale rocks ; I like boats to look like boats !

My very first boat - A Midwest [ now being sold by Proboat] scale model of the 47' Textron Coast Guard boat. I just repowered her with some 23T Titan brushed motors- battery was pretty dumped in the vid; actually much faster with a fresh charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmsbDH2ybX4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Diego invited me to join the Cape Henry RC model boat club and I did. They are a great bunch of guys that allow us to run FE as well. I to wanted something that I could run that lasted more than a few minutes so I picked up a Dumas kit for a 1949 Chris Craft racing runabout. I will build it this winter to run next summer.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I've got a couple sailboats, a Thunder Tiger Victoria (heavily modded) and a Kyosho Seawind (basically stock).
    We are starting to get a few guys together in Calgary for some sailing.
    It's a nice change of pace, you can look away from your boat or have a conversation and nothing gets wrecked.
    Last edited by pescador; 10-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Scale, boats are great I have a Dumas Dauntless, two sail boats a Kyosho and a Canadian design from a gentleman that fell into problems and a to be built Graupner https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/ser...RTN=2145&PIC=4

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 10-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Nice, that Graupner torpedo boat looks like an awesome project.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Im looking to get into scale Tugs and workboats. My dad is very skilled at building hulls for these types of boats.
    As a marine propulsion mechanic i would love to be able to have bow thrusters, z-drives and voith sneider drives on an rc boat

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/motors.htm

I've always been curious why we dont see catamarn or tri-hull sailboats. I wonder if there is some issues scaling them down to perform right

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Tony, that's a beautiful boat ! Scale rocks ; I like boats to look like boats !

My very first boat - A Midwest [ now being sold by Proboat] scale model of the 47' Textron Coast Guard boat. I just repowered her with some 23T Titan brushed motors- battery was pretty dumped in the vid; actually much faster with a fresh charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmsbDH2ybX4
    Thanks. I like the look of the Saint Tropez , kind of like sports car on water.
    I'll install LED lights, and some mods soon. . Your 47"Coast Guard boat looks cool.

Code:
    I've always been curious why we dont see catamarn or tri-hull sailboats. I wonder if there is some issues scaling them down to perform right
    There are these tri's, canting ballasts, hydrofoils even spinnakers pretty pricey though.
    http://www.microsail.com/index.html
    Namba District 16

Do you have anothe link for microsail? That one doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Code:
    There are these tri's, canting ballasts, hydrofoils even spinnakers pretty pricey though.
    http://www.microsail.com/index.html
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I love scale but the time and cost has stopped me. There are a bunch of beautiful scale boats being sold on ebay right now but again...the cost...and then nobody around here that runs scale. No fun by yourself!

I do have two sailboats. The AQ one (paradise?) and an OLD 40" Dumas Star with muslin sails. Love it! Used to have a 50" soling. Wish I'd never gotten rid of it. One of the problems of sailboats here in Central Florida is that a lot of the ponds develop weed growth and the keels get hung up!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Here's what I sail when I feel like it.

-t

She's a beauty!!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sweet !!
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Code:
    Do you have another link for microsail? That one doesn't work.
    Looks like the site is down, it was working yesterday but now I can't get it.
    The 55" trimaran hydrofoil is about $2500.00
    Namba District 16

That must be the big one they have been trying to sell on ebay for months. When the cost goes above a mortgage payment, it ceases to be fun for me! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Code:
    Do you have another link for microsail? That one doesn't work.
    Looks like the site is down, it was working yesterday but now I can't get it.
    The 55" trimaran hydrofoil is about $2500.00
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I have a Pro Boat version of an early 1940's Chris Craft Barrel back and a Panache MkII sailboat that I built a few years ago before Climate Models went away. I actually picked it up in Barrie on the way home from a camping trip !

Our club runs scale every Wednesday night (during the summer) in the refecting pool in front of city hall. It's also a good place to rip it up with my modified brushless Mini Rio
    Grand River Marine Modellers, el Presidente
    IROC VUP, 25" Prince Mono, Mini Hydro, Classic Barrel Back, brushless Mini Rio and two Nitro Tunnels

At lease they aren't pink.............

Default Scale R/C Boats

Hi, I love FE boats but sometimes I relax with my sailing R/C Americas Cup Boat.
    It is more fun to sail in a Sailboat Regatta with skill instead of speed. Photos Attached. Regards, Norman2
    34" Ekos Cat UL-1 Powered

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    At lease they aren't pink.............
    Always with the pink jokes...
    Grand River Marine Modellers, el Presidente
    IROC VUP, 25" Prince Mono, Mini Hydro, Classic Barrel Back, brushless Mini Rio and two Nitro Tunnels

He must like the Hawaii Kai III.

-t