Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Mini Cat Racing USA ROCKS!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    27

    Default Mini Cat Racing USA ROCKS!!

    I recently bought a micro hydro from Jim @ minicatracingusa and it was an awesome experience. This was my first boat that was not a toy, and built for high speeds. Jim answered all of my stupid questions with easy to understand and very helpful answers, and all without making me feel like an idiot. My micro hydro is super fast and very stable thanks to the battery balance point advised in the instructions. Great small boats, EXCELLENT customer service, good pricing AND fun to drive. I recommend MCR highly, and plan on at least getting one more of their boats.

    this was not a paid advertisement!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    My buddy runs a micro hydro and his is very unstable. Where is the balance point on this thing?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    27

    Default

    6.1 inches from stern. HERE is the instruction sheet.

    These boats like smooth water, so keep that in mind.

    I used a piece of aluminum angle that I sanded to round the edge so as not to scar the boat hull. I then marked the 6.1 inch balance point on the hull and then put the battery in the boat. I lined up the hull marks on the 90 degree of the angle, and shifted the battery around until a satisfactory balance was achieved... like a teeter-totter. I then marked each of my batteries with a felt tip marker, right at the motor mount cross member (for reference), as an aid for battery placement. I secure the batts with velcro.

    I ran the boat for about a minute on flat water and it was VERY stable, and turned nicely... then I hit something in the pond and broke the prop. A metal prop will arrive shortly and I will post further results.

    In THIS video the boat looks stable, like mine does, but the batt could be a touch closer to the bow to help keep the nose down a bit....but everything depends on water conditions. My boat is STOCK and runs great on fairly flat water.....she doesn't even weigh a pound without the battery in her, so 35+ mph in stock form AND riding great is amazing for a little boat! funfunfun

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPISHAK View Post
    6.1 inches from stern. HERE is the instruction sheet.

    These boats like smooth water, so keep that in mind.

    I used a piece of aluminum angle that I sanded to round the edge so as not to scar the boat hull. I then marked the 6.1 inch balance point on the hull and then put the battery in the boat. I lined up the hull marks on the 90 degree of the angle, and shifted the battery around until a satisfactory balance was achieved... like a teeter-totter. I then marked each of my batteries with a felt tip marker, right at the motor mount cross member (for reference), as an aid for battery placement. I secure the batts with velcro.

    I ran the boat for about a minute on flat water and it was VERY stable, and turned nicely... then I hit something in the pond and broke the prop. A metal prop will arrive shortly and I will post further results.

    In THIS video the boat looks stable, like mine does, but the batt could be a touch closer to the bow to help keep the nose down a bit....but everything depends on water conditions. My boat is STOCK and runs great on fairly flat water.....she doesn't even weigh a pound without the battery in her, so 35+ mph in stock form AND riding great is amazing for a little boat! funfunfun
    What is the recommended Metal Prop upgrade for the micro hydro. I am running stock motor with a seaking 35A ESC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    There are two. The 34mm and the 36mm. Both are listed under the minicat racing site under the parts for these boats.

    http://www.minicatracingusa.com/mparts.html

    I wish we had a place to discuss these smaller fun boats. Every other boat type has own section except minicat boats or any micro boats in general for that matter. Steve I'd love to have a place on OSE please?

    Peace~

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I have played with the battery placement quite a bit and still having issues with the boat hopping in the turns. any suggestions?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    6,453

    Default

    Turn
    fin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ma
    Posts
    8,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post

    I wish we had a place to discuss these smaller fun boats. Every other boat type has own section except minicat boats or any micro boats in general for that matter. Steve I'd love to have a place on OSE please?

    Peace~

    there would just be to many sections. the only boats that have their own section are really the highly sold rtr boats. The reason for that is that the bizillion questions about those dont clutter the main q&a.
    Steven Vaccaro

    Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Turn
    fin
    Add one??? Is that what you are suggesting, if so and links to a recommended one?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    6,453

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    there would just be to many sections. the only boats that have their own section are really the highly sold rtr boats. The reason for that is that the bizillion questions about those dont clutter the main q&a.


    Greetings Steve,

    I want to say as nicely as possible. If you would think about this, there may be one of two ways. There may be only one section, Mini boats or Boats from x to 16" in size, whatever you like. The posts can be specific to each type of hull and that can grow off that instead of cluttering other areas on OSE as they have always have been I agree with you on that.

    If this grows, then another way is to have three sections which would only have three types of hulls; Riggers, Mono's, Hydro's (and maybe Shovel Nose later). See how it goes with just one general section?

    There are many here that have these smaller boats that members still have or owned and would like to share their knowledge. The point that there would be a bizillion questions would be a great reason why they should have their own section right? so these don't clutter the other areas as they currently are, I agree with you.

    Steve, you carry these smaller boats like the Delta Vortex 16 and the Mini Cat Hydro even, but any post on these are always pushed back by other posts and people really don't have an ideal place to post. I don't know, it just seems that this is missing on OSE but it's your ultimate decision.

    I have been a member for a long time and still support you regardless.

    Thank you kindly Steve.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    Don't forget:
    The Renegade rigger;
    BBY micro's (Micro Scat cat, Micro hydro, etc...);
    MHZ Mini boats (micro iceburg, micro fountain, etc...);
    H&M Mini boats (micro kat, micro maritmo, micro drifter, etc...).
    I'm not even counting all my custom and rare mini's
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On
    Posts
    7,250

    Default

    You could just title the mini boat section as "SpeedBumps"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,146

    Default

    I know that not everyone likes the smaller boats, But I, for one, Do like'em!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    They are fun and I have learned a lot but it didn't cost a lot to learn on them!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Lightbulb

    Steve, OSE has a Jokes and Off Topic Q & A sections. I just feel this would open OSE and the boating experience more on all levels, and to many more people, isn't that the idea of this board?

    So asking nicely here, would it be inappropriate to let OSE members take a vote on this? If not I'll suddaap.

    Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 10-13-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: update

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    ???

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    ????

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    Any input on this Steve?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Anyone know the actual specs on the Micro Hydro? What is the Stock Motor size, Motor shaft Dims; Flex cable dims; or the coupler, is it 2mm to 3mm? how about the stock prop is it 32mm or 30mm. Different sites have different information.

    Any help would great. I am looking to upgrade the stock set up but not sure what will and will not work.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badag98 View Post
    Anyone know the actual specs on the Micro Hydro? What is the Stock Motor size, Motor shaft Dims; Flex cable dims; or the coupler, is it 2mm to 3mm? how about the stock prop is it 32mm or 30mm. Different sites have different information.

    Any help would great. I am looking to upgrade the stock set up but not sure what will and will not work.
    I'm more than happy to share info with you, just too bad there is not a dedicated place on OSE for these smaller boats so not to bogg this area, anyways.

    These motors are 20-40, meaning 20mm in OD and 40mm in length. The stock motor is actually 20.59mm OD and 41.19mm in length if you want to use the same water jacket. Any length is fine and any 20mm class motor should be fine. What you didn't mention but should be aware of is some 370 motors will fit but the key is what is the motor mounting screws spacing shold be. That is always going to be 16mm from center to center hole and the thread is M2.5, but after market may vary. Remember there is a hole in the motor mount so if you find a motor be sure that that is not larger that the motor mount hole. I have not seen this yet on any motor so far.

    The stock motor shaft is 2.3mm and not slotted on the shaft. After market ones will vary is size on the shaft and some are slotted and the lenghts are different but don't worry all are short enough to fit.

    The flex cable is with the prop shaft is exactly 8" long and diameter of the cable is .0945" or 2.40mm. The coupler is 2.4 mm ID. The coupler is 23.98mm in length and 7.93mm OD. Yes, the Stock prop is 30mm.

    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 10-19-2010 at 01:22 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    190

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badag98 View Post
    That ESC is perfect and you can get the same one re-branded as Turnigy on HK. Get the programming card too. People say it does not work but it does. They are doing something wrong, not sure what. As for the motor it's larger than 20mm but meets all the other specs but be aware the thread hole is larger for the motor being M3 not a big deal. At 3790kv is good place to start. I'm at 3600kv and its the the sweet spot for these hulls, and I feel they can take more. A larger and heavier motor may upset the balance also. I can't say as have not used anything larger than a 20-40 and don't find that it's needed so far.

    The water jacket says will cover 20-28 so seems ok but not that wide? The motor is 45mm in length. Maybe two on it will be ideal. Link them together with a piece of tubing.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 10-20-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •