Thread: widowmaker water pick up clog

Default widowmaker water pick up clog

Hey Guys,
    I just picked up the widowmaker used from ebay a week ago and ran great the first run. I notice the 2nd time I ran it the water pickup seemed clogged. I was still able to run it and the motor nor the esc seemed too warm. I tried to get a run in and I'n not sure if the Esc is dead. I get rudder comtrol but the prop won't turn over. Is there any way to check what might have happened without buying a replacement esc and how do I know that is want is wrong?
    thanks very much,
    Daniel

I have the WW and the speed control died on third run .
    The inlet to the motor cooling jacket pluged up to.
    Horizon Hobbies had it over a month to replace the speed control.
    Bob Big

Hello all

I bought my WM in the middle of the august. Before my first run I noticed that one of the silicone hoses was blocked. Turn of the hose was too tight before the ESC and even the air wasn't moving in the system. So my opinion is to check the cooling system before each run with the boat. Easiest way to check it is to disconnect the hose from the rudder and simply blown into to it. Now I have run tens of times with my boat and no heat or another promblems have appeared.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Joucca

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info. I think that the ESC is dead I spoke to Steven at Offshore and he reccomended the Blackjack ESC as a replacement. I'm thinking that a heavier ESC is the way to go too. I want own with a heavier water pick up.
    Any ideas? I have to do some rewiring which I'm not too keen on but I have a neighbor that may be able to help he into the Helicopters so we'll see

Hi i use the compress air cans (for dusting out , computers, tv's ect) those work perfect, and regarding to the esc i ran the boat with the stock esc with a 3s 5000 30c battery it ran perfect until it blow up after to weeks

After each use blow all the water out then a few shots of WD40 in the water pick up hose to prevent corrosion from clogging the ESC and water jacket around the motor.

Great advice.

I purchased a WM in the spring of this year.

Experienced a broken OE prop after ~20min of run time. In that 20min I also noted no water was shooting out the side of the boat. I'm a newbie for RC boats, so thought water was flowing, just not enough for me to see as it cruised by. When I finally got a replacement prop, the ESC died after ~2min of run time.

I got a replacement ESC, and it lasted for ~10min before dying. Each time I removed the ESC, there was water in it, so I assummed (probably incorrectly) that water was flowing through the entire system.

I ran my latest ESC gently for short durations, checking current draw and temperature. Since it's October, the water is quite cold, and the temperatures were still high...that's when I checked and found both water inlet and outlet on the motor were clogged solid with what appeared to be rust. I think this may have been causing my ESC failures (I also made a "bad" assumption the ESC had a high temp. shutoff....I don't think it does).

My boat now has ~1hr usage to date over the summer because of my prop and ESC problems, but I'm pretty confident these problems are behind me now.

Be careful if you're going to use compressed air as not to push the rust into the motor or esc. I removed the motor water inlet/outlet fittings to clean them and keep the rust from getting into the motor casing. Not sure if this would wreck anything...just know I don't want it floating around in there.

Pumping through clean water / compressed air should flush out any debris. From here on, I'm checking it before every run. And make sure, the water is shooting out the side of the boat ~6 inches while it's scotting by.

/kevin

I use a small 5 ml syringe to clean my tubing and outlets