Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hpr06

Default Hpr06

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and am really new to the FE scene. I have been lurking for the last couple of months and trying to descide on which hull I wanted to get for my first Cat. Well, earlier in the week I ordered an HPR06 with the HPR drives and hydraulic rudder set up. I figured this project would keep me busy during the cold winter months. I am actually going to do a scratch build also once I see how the HPR turns out. Hanspeter said it would be about 5 weeks before he gets to my boat so I have some time for picking up materials.
    What would be a good start for motors? I was thinking some 580s or Neu 15XXs? I want to run 5S or 6S batteies and was thinking of castle 120HV or the race Etti for speed controls. Of coarse, cheaper is always better but I don't want to skimp on the good either.
    Also, what thickness of carbon fiber is everyone using for motor mounts and such?
    Well back to searching I go!
    Thanks!

Hi.

http://www.ae-carbontec.de/shop/arti...8%26aid%3D5%26

If you wanna make them yourself, use 2.5 or 3mm sheets.

IMO the 580's are overkill, to much torque.
    With 540's you can reach 60 mls on 6S.
    Neu's would be my choice.

Malibu,

Welcome to OSE. Firstly I would go with the C/F kit that Gerwin has provided the link for. It comes with the transom doubler plates and the motor mount. The motor mounts will fit the Neu motors. And the transom doublers are a must in the HPR's. They are not reinforced from Hanspeter. The transom doublers will require some work to fit tight on the inboard corners.

Neu motor would be a definite choice of motors. But it depends what your plans for this cat would be too, such as sport running or speed? If you look under HPR07, KevinLew has a thread on his, but he runs for speed. His setup running double rudders and strut style drives is a great idea for building these HPR hulls as the transom is at a premium for hand space to work in. You will see once you get your's.

Another important thing is to start sourcing your drive shafts, you will need a left and right turning shaft, and equally some left and right turning props. These are available in a few sizes only. Most run X442's LH/RH. With some exceptions.

Fortunately Malibu bought the scale drives and rudder ;-).
    Very important : try to position the drives as low as possible and as close as posible towards the tunnel. Yes, that's a bit of labour, you'll have to remove some material from the inside
    of the sponsons to be able to position the drives right.
    If I had to build a HPR06 again (that would be my 3th or 4th '06-build) I would give it a fully closed bulkhead. last weekend I saw a 06 flipping, the front of the right sponson
    cracked open at the seam.

Westbeach : outboard BL (avatar) ?

Gerwin,

Avatar, is my new HiJack 3.5 outboard motor mount fully adjustable. This mount is so nice, I might have to wear it as a necklace or make it into a ring or something.
    I got a DPI abs plastic tunnel from the buy n sell on OSE. I figure I will start with this hull, with some c/f cloth reinforcement on the lower hull section. Run with the UL1 motor and esc to whatever speed it can achieve. Then upgrade to a WOF hull later on.

The scale drive/rudder is very nice, but a lot of though will have to go in before he starts any layout/drilling holes. I took the time to do mine, and everything fits good. But space is at such a premium specially with limited tools/experience. I have the experience working with feel and no see type situations working on commercial aircrafts. But it was still an ordeal installing the screws for the upper mount for the arnesson drives.

If I were to do another cat, I would definitely take Kevin's route. And I am sure that setup would yield a great SAW boat. BTW what type of drives are the guys using for SAW setups on the cats in Europe? I don't think anyone has asked this question yet??

Thanks for the replys!

As of right now, I am just going to use this Cat for sport driving. Not looking to build a SAW but, but the faster the better:) I think something that goes close to 60 should be perfect and not get to wild.

I will order those carbon parts from ae and re-enforce the transom. Being Hanspeter has not started my build, think he would reinforce that area if I asked him? Oh, I did order the Carbon Fiber boat, not sure if that makes a difference or not. He's going to sign his name on the Carbon somewhere in side for me:)

Do you guys have a good source for the drive shafts? Are they a wierd size?

For running 60, what Neu's would you guys look at?

Thanks,
    Mark

You can ask Hanspeter to include both the flexshafts !!

For fixing the uppermount of the drives : easy : make a piece of aluminium with 4 holes in it.
    Use the drive-uppermount as a template. Cut thread in the 4 holes.
    No messing around with 4 nuts in a tight space :-)
    Screw the mount in place and then glue the alu piece in the hull.
    If you make that alu contra-mount a bit larger you also have a nice overhang-reinforcement :-)
    Last edited by Gerwin Brommer; 09-26-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Yes! A nut plate would be a great idea. I will have to do that.

Is there anything else that I should get from Hanspeter other than the flex shafts. Does he sell a front bulkhead? I am guessing that the hull comes with the clear windshield material and as shown on his site?

If I send more money, I want to get everything from him at once. It's kind of hard to send money to a swiss bank account from the states! Especially where I live. Had to go to three different Bank of America's before I could find one that knew how to wire money...

Gerwin,

Is this how you have attached the drives upper mounts to the hull? That was my first idea, but because the inconsistent layup inside and the seams of the upper and lower hull, I threw out that idea. The plate would ride against the radius of the transom and not sit flat.But maybe it was just the layup of my hull?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerwin Brommer View Post

For fixing the uppermount of the drives : easy : make a piece of aluminium with 4 holes in it.
    Use the drive-uppermount as a template. Cut thread in the 4 holes.
    No messing around with 4 nuts in a tight space :-)
    Screw the mount in place and then glue the alu piece in the hull.
    If you make that alu contra-mount a bit larger you also have a nice overhang-reinforcement :-)

Mark,

Neu 1527's.

Quote Originally Posted by malibu1 View Post

For running 60, what Neu's would you guys look at?

Thanks,
    Mark

Westbeach :

First step would be to make the working surface flat.
    In my own 06 i simply glued the nuts into the hull.
    You also could give the nutplate the same radius of the transom.............

Nope, Hanspeter has no bulkheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerwin Brommer View Post
    Fortunately Malibu bought the scale drives and rudder ;-).
    Gerwin, very interested as to why you think only Scale drives are the way to go?
    Have you been present when a HPR was running a setup like Kevins 135..?

Do you know of the pros and cons of both?
    Please fill me in and maybe give malibu your reason for heading in this direction?

Cheers Ryan

Ryan.

I don't say hpr hardware is THE only hardware for that hull.
    But as the hpr's are scale hulls it's nice to have scale rudder and drives.
    And the hardware is top of the line.
    ALL recordbreaking hpr's i've seen are running with hpr hardware.
    Whatever kind of strut/drive/trimm your using, it doesn't matter that much.
    The only important thing is where the prop is, at what height, what angle, and how far behind the transom.

Oh ok..

Yeah i tend to agree with you, it does look nice with the scale hardware.
    Ok thank you for setting me clear on that
    Just had not really herd anyone talk about the difference in drives on these scale cats, i thought there may have been other reasons.

Aprreciate the reply

Quote:
    Originally Posted by westbeach
    Mark,
    Neu 1527's.

Hmmm.. HPR06 with twin 1527's .
    If only chacing 60mph, isnt this a lil to much motor?

Quote Originally Posted by malibu1 View Post
    Thanks for the replys!

As of right now, I am just going to use this Cat for sport driving. Not looking to build a SAW but, but the faster the better:) I think something that goes close to 60 should be perfect and not get to wild.
    Last edited by Xcesive8; 09-27-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Hi guys

I'm building a couple of cats at the moment and enjoying every moment of it.

The HPR cat seems to be the ultimate cat for a builder

Gerwin do you have any pictures of your cat you'd can share?

Cheers

JC

JC :

nope, sorry, sold mine to build something bigger

I just tried to order the HPR115 Carbon motor mounts from ae-carbontec. But I could not figure out how to order it online with everything in German. Just sent them an email. Does anyone have any experience with ordering from them? I would assume that I can't just use my Visa credit card to order.

Got an email from Hanspeter and he is going to have the hull finished in two weeks! I now have to descide on motors and get them on order.

Here is what I am thinking of running on 6S to start with.

NEU 1521's 1Y 1577KV or
    NEU 1527's 1.5D 1500KV

I will be purchasing a speed control that will allow me to run maybe 8S at a later date.

Am I in the ball park here for motors? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey Malibu - not being a smart azz but you do know you need 2 ESC's ????

It's just from the way your last entry is worded I wasn't sure.
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Yes, I didn't word that sentence to well. I will be ordering speed controls that will allow me to run more than 6S if I get bit by the speed bug. Was looking at the Hydra HV's.

I would consider the 1527/1y also... they will run great on 6s,, later 8s they would fly!!! I have ran both the 1.5d and 1y.. The d will pull more amps and wont be good on 8s except for short straightline passes... Just food for thought!
    Nothing like keeping you lipos warm and your prop wet!!

Hi Malibu

Just a suggestion:

It would be great to have build thread once you get the hull

A Hanspeter hull is the Holy Grail of RC boating.

I'm planning to buy one next year after I finished my current 3 projects.

Good luck.

Cheers

JC

Hi Malibu,
    I'm building a twin Mhz Mystic (44.8 inch). You can see my project here
    http://www.rc-boats.gr/index.php?topic=582.0
    After two months research i decide to go with Neu motors.
    My setup will be: Neu motors 1521 1Y, esc YGE 155 navy, 6s or 7s hyperion lipos (35C),octura 447 sharpened and balanced props. First decide what volt you want and then choose you motor. You need motors with enough torque in order to see HPR flying....

Xkos, thats a nice Mystic build you have going there! I wonder how much alike the new Mystic is compared to the HPR. I wanted to order some parts from MHZ but there site is down.

Back on the AE carbon parts for the HPR, I think I will try to make my own motor mounts to start with. At least try it. I got a response from AE but by the time I pay wiring fee's (35 bucks) and shipping (20 bucks) I am at the point where I can purchase a scroll saw and the carbon and give it a whirl. Hanspeter said he could send me a drawing of the motor mount that is for a Lehner motor so I will try to modify that.

On one of the other builds sites for the HPR, it was mentioned that Hanspeter does not suggest mounting the batteries directly to the sponsons without a battery resting plate (of sorts). Does anyone know why it is not suggested to just velcro the batteries in the sponsons?

Jerome, I think this may end up like a build thread because I am sure I am going to ask tons of Newbie questions along the way.

Velcro direct on sponsons : not solid enough. One major flip and the packs, incl. velcro will be ripped out !!

I was thinking about building some type of "stand-offs" in the sponsons at the end of the batteries with a CF bar going across the top of the batteries to hold them. Along with Velro on the bottom of the batteries to the sponsons.
    I just didn't know if there was a structural hull inegrity type reason that the batteries should not be mounted directly to the sponsons. I want the weight of the batteries as low as possible.
    Yep, need seat belts on those batteries to hold them in during a crash.

Here is a setups page of the HPR06 hulls to help or confuse you

http://hpr06.speedtoy.com/setup.htm
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Welcome to the forum Mark........ , I am just gonna watch this build.........
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 10-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Thanks for the link to the Set Ups page. It looks like most of the guys are using a carbon plate to mount the battery on. Some of the plates have oblonged holes for velcro straps on the sides.

Question: Some of the battery plates have a large hole in the middle of the plate with a hogged out run going from the hole to the front of the battery plate. Kind of like a raceway. Are people glueing "bungs" to the bottom of the batteries and then inserting the bungs into the holes and sliding the batteries up the raceway. Kind of like a quick release battery holder? I hope you understand what I am trying to describe.. Thanks!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast