Thread: blackjack still rolls in the turns

Default blackjack still rolls in the turns

cant figure it out, fullers inline hardware turn fins removed, batteries placed @ 1.5 and 1.75" R side. strut placed @ flat w/ sponsons. should i move the strut up to help it in the turns or down possibly. ive heard they should cross wakes at speed with this setup.

My boat had the same problem, even after tweaking it the best i could. what worked for me was cutting the turn fins down 1/2'' and then angling them to the same angle as the edge of the sponsons.

With my turn fins like this i can make full speed turns, and im running a feigao 8xl on 4s lipo.

Iv'e heard of some hulls being different and handeling good with out them, but this is just my experience. Maybe someone else can chime in with other tweaks.

Fill the last set of steps. I swear it works. Alot of work yes but it will solve the problem. Buddy had one and could not run even with SV's because it would either roll in the corners or just go nuts in wake's. He filled in the last set of steps and he was full throttle for 5 laps straight and we could no longer touch his speed and handling. Dont ask why cause only someone like Jay Turner could tell ya but man did it turn it into a whole nother boat.

Im gonna sheath the flat part of the rear step with something removable to test this b4 i commit, but thanks sir. Also i noticed my inline rudder has hit something and bent backward a little- this when turning is angling and possibly creating lift and promoting roll

i had a bj26 with fullers... angled and trimed the turn fins, thing stuck like velcro in the corners. but i also removed the battery trays and radio box to change cog.

What was your cg?

My bud was running Fullers hardware as well. With and without turn fins. Angled them in, removed batt. trays, radio box. Nothing worked until he filled in the step. The hardware was a mojor improvement and made it ok alone but with other boats even small ones it would get bad roll across wakes and was worse in corners. Yes maybe try even jamming some playdoh or something in there that you can smooth out and somehow get to stick just for a few laps. I dont think he saw a jump in speed from doing that but was able to work from a even constant platform and by the end he was turning 46-47mph laps flat out.

it works boatman, i layered two ply's of thin abs and two ply's of 3m vhb doulble side tape. simple fix - tokk 5 min. thing is an animal now and jumps right over wakes nice and straight

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    it works boatman, i layered two ply's of thin abs and two ply's of 3m vhb doulble side tape. simple fix - tokk 5 min. thing is an animal now and jumps right over wakes nice and straight
    I would love to see some pictures of your interesting mod. Any chance you can post it please?
    Thanks
    Robert
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

Sure robert, i will try to get some piks up this afternoon. It is simple cut out 4 1" thick pieces of abs plastic (i used a for sale sign) and some super strong thick double sided tape. Stick on one piece of tape then the abs on top then another piece of tape and another piece of abs. Repeat on other sponson. Depending on the thickness of your materials it should only take two ply's. Also i only did it on the flat part of the last step- thats what made it so easy to do.

Have a read of this & see what you think for a permanent fix.
    This mod has been applied to many a Blackjack, I think.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...fters-turn.php

Cheers.
    Paul.

exactly what i did, exept for the after ride pad

Hmm, I'm going to have to try that. I thought you had to fill in the last step all the way across the sponson, I'll try it this way though tonight maybe. Does that mod eliminate the need for turn fins with the stock setup or just with an aftermarket setup like the fullers?

Glad to hear its working for ya. I had never seen those pics before but it is exactly what he did. Just maybe he didn't do it quite so perty:) I don't think he filled in the side steps as really the ride pad is just that so it didn't matter.

i dont know about the stock setup, but with the fullers no fins

here are the piks promised.

So that little bit helps it that much?

here are the piks promised.

this will be my second project for the winter.
    Thanks for the pictures. It is unreal this mod will allow to corner fast with black jack and no turn fins!!!!
    BDW, what speeds are you getting on your bj? I would like to know average speed cornering if possible please?
    I will get 50MPH on my bj but half throttle or less if the water is like mirror on turns hoping it wont flip.
    Thanks again, cool staff
    Last edited by LiPo Power; 09-25-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

Has anybody tried to add strakes/rails to the bottom of the sponsons of the black jack. seen this in the build section for the scrach built 30" cat. post #140. they aren't running any turn fins,and don't have the last step filled in and seem to be running just fine.

my bj is about 42-43 on 4s, and now will enter corners at that speed. btw i ended up epoxying in wood plates as my double side tape didnt hold up to the water after 2 runs.

thats on cheap hobby city 20c batts

my bj is about 42-43 on 4s, and now will enter corners at that speed. btw i ended up epoxying in wood plates as my double side tape didnt hold up to the water after 2 runs.
    Do I need to make it flush with the boat step and even with the middle step?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

yes

im going to try this for sure! for the nerd in me can anybody try to explain why this works? i do know that stepped hulls are speed specific but why does this help in the turns?...good tip though! cant wait to try it out.

Nobody can give me any insite as to why this works for this hull?