Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fine tuning a SV27

Default How can i be faster than my son ?

Hi all , since me and my son have the same boat , i don`t know why is boat scream compare to mine , we have the same setup , Lipo shield from Dimension Engenering , Lipo 5000 20c , the only chance i have is when he put is 3 blade (the one coming with the Kit ) , and i put a 2 blade (grp-2317.45) , we can have fun , but is boat have more punch ,
    what i done so far is
    adjust the trim tab and Strut equal to is boat

Question
    1- on the pistol control what is the purpose of D/R knob ?
    2- my option is a data logger ?

Sorry for my bad english , if i am not clear , feel free to ask
    Regards
    Christian

Ok what i have found for the D/R knob is adjustable steering rate ? that made sense ?

Yes, D/R control the amount of steering that you have.
    Have you tried taking your sons prop and puting it on your boat, put your prop on his. Is yours now faster than his? It could be the difference in props? A 3 blade prop may work well at one strut angle and height, where as a 2 blade may not work at that exact setting. Usually you have to do a little bit of adjusting to everything, at least I have found, when going from a 2 blade to a 3 blade...??? Just my thoughts though. Try changing the props between the 2 boats first. Let us know what you find. How are the temperatures compared between your boat and his??? According Kintecracing.com, your 45mm 2 blade should be faster but run your boat with hotter temperatures.

Also, be sure nothing is binding or sticking in your drive shaft. Be sure to leave some space between the front of the drive dog and strut. A flex shaft will wind up and tighten under a load. If you have the drive dog (piece the prop locks into) touching the strut, it surley is binding and will slow you down.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Have you tried taking your sons prop and puting it on your boat, put your prop on his. Is yours now faster than his?
    Try changing the props between the 2 boats first. Let us know what you find.
    He are faster by little
    Also, be sure nothing is binding or sticking in your drive shaft. Be sure to leave some space between the front of the drive dog and strut. A flex shaft will wind up and tighten under a load. If you have the drive dog (piece the prop locks into) touching the strut, it surley is binding and will slow you down.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

Ho i think you made point here ..i will check later today, mine are definitively more closer to the strut than is , i will let you know .....you can not imagine how i appriciated your help

a Daddy little frustated

Be sure to leave some space between the front of the drive dog and strut. A flex shaft will wind up and tighten under a load. If you have the drive dog (piece the prop locks into) touching the strut, it surley is binding and will slow you down.

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Have you the clearance in MM ? , i am at work right now , and tonight we will try it for sure .....
    Many Many thanks , hope this the problem ....because he cheek me alot

About 3mm is what I normally do.

Hope the problem is that simple.

Scott

About 3mm is what I normally do.

Hope the problem is that simple.

Scott
    Many thanks , the problem are still there , my son play with me , i noticed the alignement between the motor and Flex Cable ....i will keep you posted
    Regards
    Christian

Lets stay on the simpe page. Does your son have "his" set of batteries and you have "your" set? I know you are running the same 5000 20C. But have you tried all batteries in your boat?

Yes, be sure the motor is inline with the flex shaft. Be sure the flex is well greased. Loosen the motor shaft collet where the flex connects and be sure the flex spins freely inside the stuffing tube.

If all of that seems ok... maybe try switching the motor and esc between the two boats? But, do one at a time so if it is the motor or esc, you know which one it was.

We will get this figured out...
    Scott

Can you post us some pictures of both boats? Inside and out?

Lets stay on the simpe page. Does your son have "his" set of batteries and you have "your" set? I know you are running the same 5000 20C. But have you tried all batteries in your boat?

Scott
    Many thanks Scott for helping , yes we try to exchange the batteries ...and same result , he pass just enought to be able to laugh at me

Ok what i found so far , is the front of the tube un-glue ? , i just re-epoxy it with taking care of align it
    but after tonigh run ....i am still behind him
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry guy to be long between post , our lake are too big , and a small wind can generate too much wave ...for helping you to wait ....a video of me and my son in the legendary Drambuie on Ice winner of World Champioship APBA 2001 ...a 42 MTi catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by sunsation288 View Post
    Ok what i found so far , is the front of the tube un-glue ? , i just re-epoxy it with taking care of align it
    but after tonigh run ....i am still behind him
    Yes, if it needs to be epoxied or glued again, be sure it is aligned as perfect as you can get it.

Take some more pictures also of both boats.

Have you tried switching ESC's or motors? If you do, do one at a time so you know which made the difference, if it is one or the other.

Drambuie pictures look great!

Drambuie pictures look great!
    Don`t forget the video ...me and my son on a 123 mph ride

Ok since weather suck today ...i install the Eagle 3 ...and made some dry test ...(i think is not good ...but i made realy short full trigger ) i made 17.3 amp draw , and my son with the same batteries pack 24.28 amp ....

Since i am at work right now , tomorow i will do some water test in a bucket , and let you know what i found ....many thanks again for helping
    A father who are very upset to see in son play with him with the trigger

Ok since weather suck today ...i install the Eagle 3 ...and made some dry test ...(i think is not good ...but i made realy short full trigger ) i made 17.3 amp draw , and my son with the same batteries pack 24.28 amp ....
    Not sure why then amp draws would be that different. Im not 100%, but I think you will get different readings with your eagle tree once there is a load on the prop. And loading it in a bucket while holding it will produce more of a load than it running through the water, letting it propel itself. In order to get accurate readings, you must let it run in an open body of water.

Have you tried yet, swapping the esc, and then swapping the motor?
    Have you had the oportunity to GPS the boats to know how far apart they are?

I didnt catch the video the first time. Im jealous!!! How did you manage to get a ride? That had to be an amazing experience.

Not sure why then amp draws would be that different. Im not 100%, but I think you will get different readings with your eagle tree once there is a load on the prop. And loading it in a bucket while holding it will produce more of a load than it running through the water, letting it propel itself. In order to get accurate readings, you must let it run in an open body of water.
    Yes , i will try it tomorow night at the lake , if the weather let us do it as well .....

Have you tried yet, swapping the esc, and then swapping the motor?
    Have you had the oportunity to GPS the boats to know how far apart they are?
    No not yet , my son look me with is BIG eyes when i talk about it

I didnt catch the video the first time. Im jealous!!! How did you manage to get a ride? That had to be an amazing experience.
    It`s a good buddy of me ...i will be in Key West for the world championship in November ...i will post picture when i come back if you want

Many thanks for helping me
    My Very Best Regards
    Christian

It`s a good buddy of me ...i will be in Key West for the world championship in November ...i will post picture when i come back if you want

Many thanks for helping me
    My Very Best Regards
    Christian

Hmmm, maybe you can get me a ride in the boat and I will meet you in Key West. Im about 7 hrs car drive away. I worked in Key West for about 5 months, building 10 Town Homes behind the Home Depot. When you go there, you will see where Im taking about. Its called Key Cove.

Anyway, back to topic, I would try swapping things as well. Let your son know its only temporary to help to try and resolve the problems with your boat. Or tell him you will just buy a bigger and much faster boat.. Just kidding. IM really curious to find the outcome on this.

Hmmm, maybe you can get me a ride in the boat and I will meet you in Key West. Im about 7 hrs car drive away. I worked in Key West for about 5 months, building 10 Town Homes behind the Home Depot. When you go there, you will see where Im taking about. Its called Key Cove.
    No problem , the first beer will be on me

Or tell him you will just buy a bigger and much faster boat.. Just kidding.
    Yes i think about this one ..... but tomorow i will put the GPS in if we go to the lake and let you know the result , do you know if the GPS can work well inside of the hull ?
    Last edited by sunsation288; 09-27-2009 at 10:52 PM.

No problem , the first beer will be on me

Yes i think about this one ..... but tomorow i will put the GPS in if we go to the lake and let you know the result , do you know if the GPS can work well inside of the hull ?

If you can get me a ride... Christian, the whole day will be on me.... and the next day too! Ive not been to a Key West Race. Only the Sarasota and St Petersburg races. Will you watch the races from land or by water. Im thinking if I come down I will bring my boat to spectate from.

My gps works wonderfully inside the hull, just in front of the motor. Garmin Forerunner 101 gps.

EDIT: Is yours the red or white hull?

If you can get me a ride... Christian, the whole day will be on me.... and the next day too!

Ive not been to a Key West Race. Only the Sarasota and St Petersburg races. Will you watch the races from land or by water. Im thinking if I come down I will bring my boat to spectate from.
    I will be on water ...it`s the first time for me ...i will trailer down the MTI from VT to Miami ..

EDIT: Is yours the red or white hull?
    It`s the Red one ..and picture take before i switch to lipo
    Sorry for my bad english Scott
    Christian

I will be on water ...it`s the first time for me ...i will trailer down the MTI from VT to Miami ..
    Are you spectating or racing?

It`s the Red one ..and picture take before i switch to lipo
    Sorry for my bad english Scott
    Christian
    I think I see the problem Christian. Your sons boat has stickers. Thats at least a couple mph advantage

Your english is great. No problems at all

Are you spectating or racing?
    Spectating , the life of my friend realy suck , they have a Azimuth 46 , i will be on that boat ...drinking some real good canadian Beer
    I think I see the problem Christian. Your sons boat has stickers. Thats at least a couple mph advantage

Your english is great. No problems at all
    Thanks to be easy on me ...some picture when i am up side down

Definitely gunna be slower if your upside down.

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but is your rudder kicked back? And is your strut angled down?

Inside and outside picture ...i use my spare time right now at work to post , since they remove the websense on the internet tonight

p.s. the picture of my son boat , the strut look negative , but it`s not , Both boat are neutral , it`s a illusion

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but is your rudder kicked back?
    Yes my Rudder are kicked back , what i have to do is slot the hole because i think i have a boat made a Friday morning after a big thursday night at bar

Yes my Rudder are kicked back , what i have to do is slot the hole because i think i have a boat made a Friday morning after a big thursday night at bar
    A kicked back rudder is going to create lift while turning and the boat is going to get really loose. I had this problem on a 52" gas cat I built. Tucking it under a bit solved A LOT of problems. However, I dont think this is the cause of your speed issue.

Also, are your tabs angled down or are they neutral?

Take the front of your battery trays out or remove the entire tray and install velcro to the floor of the hull. Then you can use your batteries to find the correct center of gravity by moving them forward some.

Also, are your tabs angled down or are they neutral?
    Yes mine are neutral , and my son tilt down a little

Take the front of your battery trays out or remove the entire tray and install velcro to the floor of the hull. Then you can use your batteries to find the correct center of gravity by moving them forward some.
    I have fix tray in the beginig after 5 or 6 day run with epoxy ...but today after what i know ...i never fix it this way ....
    i have no idea how to remove epoxy ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast