Thread: Stock outdrive design flaw! Fix it easily before you crash like mine!

Default Stock outdrive design flaw! Fix it easily before you crash like mine!

CRUNCH! I just found out what splintering fiberglass sounds like....

The stock outdrive has a design flaw that is easily fixed. The control horn on the top of the outdrive is attached by a single screw. Remove this and you should find two small plastic pins that take the torque of the steering.

I was running the BJ in open water, no collision, when I suddenly found that the boat would not straighten out after a turn. I killed the power but could not avoid a collision with the dock. Found that the control horn had twisted on the outdrive. Removed the horn and found two plastic pins had been sheared off. I repaired by running a screw through the horn, into one of the embedded pins. Learned how to repair fiberglass... Looks lousy...

Recommended fix should take five minutes:
    Remove control horn. Remove one or both plastic pins. Drill through horn where pin was. Screw through horn into the hole that the pin previously fit into. I used a servo mounting screw.

I can't believe that ProBoat skimped and used just one screw where two would have been obvious...

Paul

Those pins are there to protect the system from damage its not an over site
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

Default Poor design

So the pins protect the servo gears. Great.
    But the twisted control horn, due to plastic pin failure, causes a crash that smashes the hull. Not great.

I would have rather replaced the servo than do fiberglass repair.

Anyway, those who still run the stock outdrive can decide for themselves which risk they would rather take.

Respectfully,

Paul

I did about the same when i where using the outdrive. Quite often the outdrive broke free of the mounting point. At slow speeds this was no problem but when doing close the 50Mph it was not a pretty sight. Also cost me a prop.