Thread: BJ26 Makeover

Default BJ26 Makeover

A friend of mine works at Uflex. Its a marine instrumentation company that makes gauges, steering cables, steering wheels, etc. (Similar to Teleflex) He brought me a few of their decals and a little light flickered above my head. BJ26 is gettin paint!

I used Krylon... NEVER AGAIN!!!! With 3 times as many hours as it would have taken had I used the more expensive paint I usually use, it finally came out to an acceptable finish. I also added some of the decals that came with my Aquacraft EP Hammer.

The one thing I did do that makes it look so much better, and I got the idea from another post on here, is I cut that raised portion out that is behind the canopies and flattened it out. However, Id like to build a new single canopy hatch for it.

I will try and get some pics of it on the water soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent job!! Looks really good.

Thanks! I spent all day fiddlen w/ another boat so I never got more pics of it. Maybe tomorrow...

Thanks again,
    Scott

Scott, when you say Krylon do you mean in a rattle can or did you use an airbrush? Either way, did you use the blue painters tape between colors? Sorry for being so nosey but I'm getting ready to paint a plastic boat and yours looks superb. Brian

Thanks Brian. Yes, Krylon paint in a rattle can. If you have any humidity out there in Ca right now, I advise not use Krylon. I had MANY issues. If you have a climate controlled spray booth, then it will come out nice no doubt. Blue painters tape all the way. But, be sure to leave a good day to let your first coat dry before you apply the tape, othewise the tape will leave inpressions in the paint. Just because it feels dry, doesnt mean it is. I made that mistake as well. I usually shoot my boats out a a couple diffrent spray guns I have and use automotive paint. You can tape in like 10 to 15 minutes. It gets expensive quick though. Being on a budget, I rattled it. If I had to do it again, Id put the money into the better paint and spray it out of my detail gun.

I hear the Krylon Fusion paint getting some good reviews. I believe it is specifically for plastics.

Yup, heard the same thing about the Krylon Fusion and that is what I will use. Humidity in Calif only happens when it is raining which is Nov 11 to Nov 11 for an hour!!

Then you should be all set. Be sure to post some pics!