Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rio EP Pics!

Hyrule, did you order another prop? or are you going to use the prop that came with the boat.

Reaper

I actually decided to go with this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_(WaterCooled)

It had good reviews on their website along with a couple of videos that showed it in use and I liked the built in water cooling jacket. It seems like it would be more effective than using the one that came with the Rio EP.

I did actually ordered a 34mm prop and I was going to get a 31mm to try but they were out when I ordered.
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...op__34x25x13mm.

That motor should zip real good!
    built in water cooling looks good to

Yeah, it definetly looked like it was moving when one of the reviewers posted a video on their mono that looked a little bulkier than the Rio EP and it was moving really well.

Here is a link to that video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87349924444853

I'm just so impatient waiting for these parts when I'm excited about doing something like this!!

It sounds great!

hyrule that motor might be a little small. it is only a 380. i use the same motor in my mini rio. if i were you i would look into a 540s or maybe l you need the torque and the 540 should run cooler

It's a bit late, the motors already on it's way here. We won't know what happens until it's in the boat and going.

I have a question that someone I was talking to mentioned. If you have an ESC that is say 60A and you hook that up to the Rio EP. But you have a motor that is only 40A, will the ESC draw 60A from the battery all the time no matter what? Or can the ESC pull lower amps depending on the demand of the motor.

I'm asking because the person I was talking to indicated that a 60A continuous ESC would drain the battery really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    I have a question that someone I was talking to mentioned. If you have an ESC that is say 60A and you hook that up to the Rio EP. But you have a motor that is only 40A, will the ESC draw 60A from the battery all the time no matter what? Or can the ESC pull lower amps depending on the demand of the motor.

I'm asking because the person I was talking to indicated that a 60A continuous ESC would drain the battery really fast.
    Well it's not the esc that draws the amps..
    The motor is what draws the amps under load, so if the motor only pulls 35A the 60A esc will be safe and should run cool
    The esc is more like a faucet that lets the current through to the motor, and the motor is what draws it through the esc..
    but if the motor would draw more amps than what the esc is rated for the esc will be over worked and fry..
    not sure if this makes sence

It's in my head and to early in the morning to get it all to come out

I understand that idea I guess what I'm getting at is the play time I will get out of the setup. They suggested that just because the ESC was a 60A continuous draw that it would but down the play time.

If you understand that the motor draws the amps and not the esc then a 100A esc would have same run time as the 60A or even a 200A esc..

Good, that's what I understood before that guy suggested what he did I just wanted to ask because I trust what is said here a bit more than him.

Awesome!
    my explanation was not the best, but your on the right path!

Thanks! My parts should be here this week!! Can't wait till I get my own thread then!

I was thinking of using liquid elctrical tape to waterproof the ESC along with thermal compound and a water cooled heat sink. If I put the heatsink on and then painted the liquid electrical tape around the ESC with the cover it comes with still on it and covering the ends where the wires go in do you guys think that that will keep it waterproof/mostly water resistant or is that not a good idea?

FYI: I know about the waterproof box that comes with the Rio EP but I was thinking just in case and also because my friend is putting together a boat of his own but not the Rio EP and it doesn't have a waterproof box.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123