Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Setups

Quote Originally Posted by OldSoldier99 View Post
    Hey Rumdog... I cut some foam out of the canopy and stick my GPS device inside the hull now. I Still don't know what I missed on the inside joke earlier in this thread.
    It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos and gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.
    Last edited by RCprince; 10-22-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: and not an.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

OldSoldier99, great job on this new speed!
    Looks like you could be the first over 50mph!

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos an gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.
    yes, and never came back to back it up..

It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos an gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.
    Yup, and some fail to realize that even videos of GPS in the boats can be faulted...

Apparently the honor system no longer exists
    The RTR Nightmare- Electric King of Shaves
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    No need to balance aluminum props guys, just sharpen em up!
    Why is this not important? Does it have to do with the weight of Aluminum?

Meaning that it would take alot of extra material on one blade to make it out of balance?

Correct

Correct
    This is good to know, I would have balanced the prop..

It started from guys posting bogus speed runs with out videos and gps actually in the boat for confirmation. Some alluded to the fact that the gps speeds were acquired by driving down the highway.
    Oh...so I gotta do video too? OK....starting to sound like work.

No, your doing great man!
    just some got all bent when asked for some pictures or something to back up their claims of having high speeds with this boat..

I can't break 48MPH with my current setup. I have a pair of 4s 5000 25C Zippy Lipos that I run in parallel. I'm going to clean up my wiring as suggested in this forum as soon as I get some more time to work on it.

After that, I'm not sure what to try. I'm already using the aluminum Venom blades (36mm). I don't know if the batteries are not as strong as advertised or if something else is keeping me below 50MPH? My last run only made it to 46MPH according to GPS.

have you done any strut adjustments?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I don't think that it will break 50 in stock form.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    have you done any strut adjustments?
    No...I have not tried any strut adjustment...Are you talking about the angle of the blades relative to the Transom?

I don't think that it will break 50 in stock form.
    Any suggestions Rumdog???

OK...I cleaned up the wiring and if all goes well, I'll take it by the lake tomorrow morning when I drop my son off at school (school is near the lake). I'll be sure to take the GPS and let you guys know what happened.

No...I have not tried any strut adjustment...Are you talking about the angle of the blades relative to the Transom?
    what is your strut angle?
    if they do need some adjustment this could help get more speed
    Last edited by Brushless55; 10-30-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

what is your strut angle?
    if they do need some adjustment this could help get more speed
    I'm running zero strut angle (neutral). Flat as a pancake.

But, I think my rudder angle is off from the stock setting because the rudder hit something in the water and got bent backwards. I could not get it back exactly straight up and down so I'm still running a little positive rudder angle.

For any other newbies like me, I'm getting my definitions of strut angle, and positive and negative, etc from the Aquacraft SuperVee tuning page:

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub22-tuning.html
    Last edited by OldSoldier99; 10-30-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added link to tuning page

Thats what I've used to from my SV manual..
    What about your COG ?

If you wanna break 50mph on GPS, just find a river with a strong current and run with the river.. Instant 10 mph gain for free..
    The RTR Nightmare- Electric King of Shaves
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post
    If you wanna break 50mph on GPS, just find a river with a strong current and run with the river.. Instant 10 mph gain for free..

OK...I cleaned up the wiring and if all goes well, I'll take it by the lake tomorrow morning when I drop my son off at school (school is near the lake). I'll be sure to take the GPS and let you guys know what happened.
    Almost made it.... 48.8MPH is the best I could get even after reducing the lengths of all the wiring to minimum. I'm using Traxxas connectors (the new ones...not the old Tamiya connectors that melt).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldSoldier99; 11-01-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added pic

Almost made it.... 48.8MPH is the best I could get even after reducing the lengths of all the wiring to minimum. I'm using Traxxas connectors (the new ones...not the old Tamiya connectors that melt).
    try it down hill! ahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post

Thats what I've used to from my SV manual..
    What about your COG ?
    I know COG stands for center of gravity, but I don't know how to answer the question. All the weight is in the batteries and the batteries sit in the stock battery tray so I'd say the COG is about 2/3 to 3/4ths of the way toward the stern.

I'm thinking a smaller/lighter set of batteries would reduce the weight...perhaps a pair of 4s 4000s. The 5000s are heavy. 4000 at 25C would be 100A...that would be plenty of power for a 60A speed controller.

getting less mass in their could help?

ThunderPower have added some 45c lipos. some 4s 2650's would put out 119amps @ 295 grams
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Default New batteries...quest for 50MPH on 4S

ThunderPower have added some 45c lipos. some 4s 2650's would put out 119amps @ 295 grams
    I just sold one of my laptops and got some new lipo batteries (I had one but needed a second one to pair up with it). I got MaxAmps 4s 4000mAH 20C 365 grams (actually thought they were 40C...didn't read the fine print at first). If you've been following this thread you know I've been trying to break the 50MPH barrier on 4s batteries, but I've been stuck at 48.8 MPH using my Zippy Lipo 4s 5000mAH 25C 506 grams batteries.

In theory, the Zippys should be better because they have both a higher C rating and a higher capacity...but they also weigh 165 grams more times 2 for two batteries that's 330 grams more weight. I'll keep ya posted.

OldSoldier

Keep it going man!

Bring your strut up 1/16" at a time until she starts to really loosen up.

Make sure you grease your flex lightly and then run some 3-n-1 oil down it and slip it in. Same with shaft end.

Make sure that rudder is not slowing you down...if you want you can cut some off which is scrubbing some speed. Take the turn fin off as well and tape the holes up.

I would also consider one more step up in pitch on the prop if you can and make sure it is very sharp.

You certainly want to use some 600 paper WD and lightly sand the sponson bottoms to get them nice,smooth and leather feeling. Use a little water when sanding these lightly.

Jeff,
    Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately, when I went to try my new batteries, I found out my port sid ESC is not working. I get power to the receiver, the rudder works, and starboard ESC works. The ESC is supposed to beep 4 times for a 4s battery. The starboard side ESC beeps, but the port side ESC does not.

On other parts of this forum, I think I saw that others have had problems with these stock ESCs. Guess I'll have to see if Venom support will send me another one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast