Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Setups

Quote Originally Posted by OldSoldier99 View Post
    All, I just bought a pair of Zippy FlightMax 4s 5000s. If you remove the foam from the canopy they just barely fit. You will have to tape the canopy down (which I do anyway). The boat runs well and wicked fast! Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get a speed run with GPS (my daughter needed my GPS). My wife just bought me a new GPS today so I'm back in business (bless her heart! Guess I'll keep her!) Weather is bad on east coast this weekend, but I might get a chance to put her in the water Sunday after church (the EKOS...not the wife). I'm amazed at how stable the boat is at 4s speed!! Anyone else got numbers???
    let us know how she runs after church!

Default Speed Run

All, I just bought a pair of Zippy FlightMax 4s 5000s. If you remove the foam from the canopy they just barely fit. You will have to tape the canopy down (which I do anyway). The boat runs well and wicked fast! Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get a speed run with GPS (my daughter needed my GPS). My wife just bought me a new GPS today so I'm back in business (bless her heart! Guess I'll keep her!) Weather is bad on east coast this weekend, but I might get a chance to put her in the water Sunday after church (the EKOS...not the wife). I'm amazed at how stable the boat is at 4s speed!! Anyone else got numbers???
    OK...I got numbers Drumroll please.... 44.6 MPH!! I would have included a picture from the GPS unit, but I don't know how to add pictures in the Forum.

OldSoldier
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldSoldier99; 10-18-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added picture

Not bad. That was with stock props??
    Best way to post pictures is to upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), then they will give you a like to post here..
    The RTR Nightmare- Electric King of Shaves
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

Default Speed Run

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post
    Not bad. That was with stock props??
    Best way to post pictures is to upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), then they will give you a like to post here..
    Yes, I used the stock props. I just received my 36mm aluminum props from Venom. I will try them next time I get out to the lake. Here is a pic.

how'd ya get it out of the boat with the hatch still taped up?

Stop it! Rumdog.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

hehehe

Oh f**k, here we go with this crap again...
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

OK...I got numbers Drumroll please.... 44.6 MPH!! I would have included a picture from the GPS unit, but I don't know how to add pictures in the Forum.

OldSoldier
    Awesome job man!

Yes, I used the stock props. I just received my 36mm aluminum props from Venom. I will try them next time I get out to the lake. Here is a pic.
    Did you get temps on the motors or esc with 4S?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I taped the GPS to the outside of the canopy inside a waterproof bag. I'm sure the extra wind drag didn't help my numbers. I was afraid the GPS would not be able to get a signal inside the hull....but I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoni View Post
    Did you get temps on the motors or esc with 4S?
    No...I didn't take the temps with a temp gun, but I did check them by hand and they were just warm. Keep in mind it was a fairly cool day...about 45 degrees.

Default 36mm Venom Aluminum Props

I only got 40MPH with the new aluminum props. Not what I was expecting... I noticed it seemed to take a little longer to get up on plane with the aluminum props. I expected it to be faster than the stock plastic props. What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to balance and sharpen? Keep in mind I'm new to boats before you start with the flaming arrows

Default Inside joke??

Oh f**k, here we go with this crap again...
    I'm getting the impression I'm missing something here..... You Senior members are up to something....

OldSoldier

Did you get the red props or the "as-cast" props. The red props are CNC'd and shouldnt need balancing. The "as-cast" ones do need balancing. There is a possibility the step up in prop size may have been too much. The stock plastic props are only 32mm in diameter.
    Now with 540s- 62mph

Did you get the red props or the "as-cast" props. The red props are CNC'd and shouldnt need balancing. The "as-cast" ones do need balancing. There is a possibility the step up in prop size may have been too much. The stock plastic props are only 32mm in diameter.
    I got the "as-cast" props not the red ones. I noticed that the blades did not look particularly sharp. I guess you get you pay for as the red ones are expensive.

I got the "as-cast" props not the red ones. I noticed that the blades did not look particularly sharp. I guess you get you pay for as the red ones are expensive.
    I think all metal props do not come with a sharp edge.. no biggie just a little work to make them sweet!

Default Almost got to 50MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I think all metal props do not come with a sharp edge.. no biggie just a little work to make them sweet!
    OK, so I sharpened the blades, but did not balance them. I've never done either before, but I understand the concept. I did not have my balancer with me. I assume its done the same as with plane propellers. I have balancer that I use for plane propellers. Anyway, I got 48MPH on this run!!

Again I failed to take temps.

OK, so I sharpened the blades, but did not balance them. I've never done either before, but I understand the concept. I did not have my balancer with me. I assume its done the same as with plane propellers. I have balancer that I use for plane propellers. Anyway, I got 48MPH on this run!!

Yes!
    great job man..
    looking at your wires, if you redid them I can see a couple more mph!

Nitroval,
    How would my boat do using your x442 blades and my 4s stock setup?

those could put a strain on your motors?
    alot of prop on 4s

No need to balance aluminum props guys, just sharpen em up!

No need to balance aluminum props guys, just sharpen em up!
    Thanks for the tip Rumdog! So now I have another question... I noticed after my 48MPH run that the boat was running kind of strangely. It sounded like the props were slipping or something...especially at lower speeds. Seemed to drive OK at full throttle. Didn't sound right at low and mid throttle range. I put new grease in the tubes and checked my set screws (except for the motor pinion set screws that can't be reached because of the motor brace.

I know this is a poor description, but any ideas??

Sounds like a loose coupler. Check all the set screws. It may also just be that these props cavitate more during launch and slow speed, then once on plane hook up well. Make the leading edge as sharp as you can while trying not to affect the shape of the prop at all.

Default Trying to get 50MPH via a loophole ;-)

I noticed on the way home from the lake that my GPS reads 2MPH lower than my car on cruise control. So can I count this a 50MPH?

Default GPS in the hull now

Hey Rumdog... I cut some foam out of the canopy and stick my GPS device inside the hull now. I Still don't know what I missed on the inside joke earlier in this thread.

Ahh, Nitroval was implying that I didn't believe your gps reading because of my comment about your hatch.

Thanks for the tip Rumdog! So now I have another question... I noticed after my 48MPH run that the boat was running kind of strangely. It sounded like the props were slipping or something...especially at lower speeds. Seemed to drive OK at full throttle. Didn't sound right at low and mid throttle range. I put new grease in the tubes and checked my set screws (except for the motor pinion set screws that can't be reached because of the motor brace.

I know this is a poor description, but any ideas??
    smaller props do this vs lager props..
    samller props take a bit to hook up

I wouldnt run 442 props with 4S. I ran the 442s on 3S and the ESCs and batteries were pretty warm after each run, plus I babied it during acceleration.
    As for the inside joke, some people on here want video confirmation, 3 witnesses, one being a municipal judge of good moral standing, one being a priest and an the other an ex-girlfriend, a voice recording of verbal confirmation, a letter from god, and a horoscope reading from that day in order to believe any attempt at any speed..
    Now with 540s- 62mph

Ahh, Nitroval was implying that I didn't believe your gps reading because of my comment about your hatch.
    Ahhhh now I get it!! Just remember...OldSoldiers never lie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast