Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave36 Conversion build

Default Shockwave36 Conversion build

Im in the middle of a conversion using the SW36 hull (the old nitro in it just never ran right) and so far i have the motor installed, the esc is ready to be put in, and im only a few bucks away from buying the batt's.

it uses a Quantam 36x70 BL motor and a welgard 100amp esc. It will be powered by 24 IB3600 cells.

some pics:

saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

looking good, will your esc be water cooled?

yes, im going to take off the covering and glue on some cooling plates with some thermal epoxy..

There have been some people playing with that motor on other forums. Their experience hasnt been good. Start with a very small prop with that motor.
    Take baby steps.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

im only using a 40mm prop right now...it looks pretty small....

the reason i ask about esc is I want something about 100 amp for my motors but want it water cooled, so far only thing i like is bk9920

should i replace the current motor with a feigao 14XL? ive been hearing bad things about it, not just from Steven, but on a bunch of other forums..

also, ive been told that i should grind out a small flat spot in the shaft to give the coupler's set screws a better grip, but ive been having trouble....the shaft it alomost indestrictable..ive been trying to grind out a flat spot with a file for hours and have been pressing on the shaft so hard when i do im afraid ill bend it...and so far, the most ive done is scratched it...the coupler has two set screws at around 120* from eachother, would that be enough to hold on to the shaft or will it just spin? i know people who dont put a flat spot on and the coupler never comes loose on em and they use high power setups, where others couplers wont even stay on the shaft longer than 2 second nless they ave a flat spot...im kind cautios about going at it with a dremel too.....is there another way to cut a flat spot in the shaft

Saleens,

What type of file are you using? Try a mill (bastard) file. Designed to be used in one direction only. We use them to sharpen concrete boring bits, and they should work on your shaft. In fact, I used one to file down a DeWalt cordless motor shaft, so I could get it to fit into a 5mm coupler. I powered the motor up and pressed the file against it, and shaved it down in just a few seconds.

Duck
    It's a small world, but I'd hate to paint it!

ok, ill look for one...

just wondering...im getting a 3 channel futaba FM pistol radio, but what do people use the 3rd channel for?

if you get some medium strength threadlocker and a tight coupler it can be a challenge getting the coupler back off the motor shaft...I needed a propane torch, fortunatly I was able to pull the motor out of the boat 1st :)

i found a big file a filed away and eventually i got a small flat spot...i hope it holds..

im getting a 3 channel radioi system...what would be the purpose of the 3rd channel?

3rd channel can be used to activate 'drag chute' or to turn on 'interior fire sprinklers'

Duck!!

hmmm....fire sprinklers...i think that would be good...people have been saying that there is a chance this setup will quote, unquote "EXPLODE!!!!!"

i also found out what that red BEC wire is for....nothing...they said if i lifted the covering, the wire would go to nowhere, its just a sttandard lead...... ...kind of pointless, but ooookay...

i did find out that the esc im using is a very reliable one, they say a lot of electric pylon racers use it and after adding watercooling, a lot of people have had sucess with that esc in their boats too...

oh yeah, another question...where could one find "fire sprinklers"??

Most likely, living in your part of our great country, you will be able to find the IFS system only after you retrieve a hull that has lost it's hatch, and although, you might not be able to see the actual plumbing of the system, you will certainly be able to see the results, as it is the actual force of the sprinler system that dislodges the hatch.

Duck
    Last edited by DuckOfDeth; 04-05-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: dnf

ok, 3rd channel will be reserved for hatch ejection system...

seriously, what would the 3rd channel be used for...i can always save cahs and just get the 2 channel verison of the same radio...

On a scale model, or maybe a sail boat, there might be need of another servo, to reproduce a given action. (Squirt the fire hose, run a smoke generator?) I wouldn't think that in a speed application, a 3rd channel would be necessary.
    (just my thoughts)
    Duck

i think ill go with the three channel....ill be using this Tx for more than just my SW36...ill also use it on the drifter, and anyother boats until i runout of memory space....then ill buy another TX...i might need that 3rd channel for something...

this spread spectrum tech going into these new radio systems have their advantages, but im hearing that they have limited range and a lag in reaction time next to an FM transmitter...

How bout use it to activate a nitrous oxide booster? Heehehehe

ok, i know about the higher prices and have beem suggested to [QUOTE] "forget the junk a$$ nimh, go lipo" [END QUOTE]...well, im taking that advice....but i have absolutely NO experience with lipo's....all i know is ill be needing a voltage rating around 28.8 volts and a good amout of mah...my esc can take up to 6 lipo's...(i guess thats cells)....what would be a good lipo to use and how many? My boat is pretty heavy already with just the motor, and id like to keep it light...

another question, the wires that go to from the Rx to the esc are too short, is there an adaptor (basicaly an extention cable) that i can use to add a few inches of wire to the esc to rx wire without soldering, just an extension? if so, where can i fund these?

oh, and another thing, where could i buy a pre-assembled lipo pack or where to go to make a custom one?

ill be needing two seperate packs that when added together will have around 28.8 volts....can this be done? when combining two lipo packs, does the voltage double or the mah?

ok, did a little looking and found that two 4S packs is what ill be needing as they have ideal voltage, but will that be too much for the esc?

You can praboly find a extension for the rx to esc at Tower Hobbies.

Ken

No problem. If you are a member of the club you can get scratch and dent stuff too. I picked up a radio system for 30 bucks for the Super Hawaii knock off.

Ken

i was thinking about using less cells in this boat and a higher KV 540XL motor...

18 cells on an 11XL would seem good....it will get 32,000+ rpms and will lessen the weight by a lot too...or the same setup only with a 10XL....it will produce around 36,000rpms would that be good as well?

24 cells on a feigao just seems like its pushing the limits...it would probably work better on 24 cells with a lehner 2250 or 2280, but thats just too much $$

what do you think about this setup? is it worth it? it will cost less so thats a bonus...

i was told on RRR that i will pull more amps running an 10XL on 18 cells than i would an 14XL on 24 cells, how is this? i dont completely know how i would find out how many amps a setup would produce.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast