PDA

View Full Version : Mini C on 3s lipo w/experimental strut/rudder

jfabcustom
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
This was my first attempt @ a fast electric boat. After much experimentation I ended up getting this thing to rip pretty well considering how small a hull it is. It uses a mini cat racing strut and rudder mounted on an inline bracket I designed and cut out on the mill. I couldn't have done it without the OSE forums. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Click play all videos there are 7 of them in the playlist.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=36598D4690290161

It was a little choppy that day.

jfabcustom
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
No love?

I guess it takes hundreds of dollars spent on Feigao motors and Hydra speed controlls to get any feedback here. Well i'm not rich, but I did this one on the cheap, It screams, and I learned alot!!

I'm looking for some plans for my next build. I want to build a twin motor Catamaran from scratch. I'll have to work some side jobs to be able to afford the electronics but I'll have plenty of time to save up while I'm building the hull. Wish me luck guys! :buttrock:

domwilson
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Your mini C looks like it's moving pretty well. Can't give you any advice as I don't own one. But it looks like you got that on moving pretty well. On the dual drive cat, how big of a hull are you looking for? What kind of speeds and setup?

jfabcustom
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Not sure yet, but I think a 32" Twin would be really cool. Or a really stable twin mini cat like ace028 and Peells build. Not sure what the Motor/ESC/Batt setup would be yet as I am pretty new to all this. I would be happy with 50-60MPH on the big hull. I just started looking for hull plans. Once I get going on the thing I'll start a thread. It may take me a while to figure all this stuff out.

v-spec
09-02-2009, 12:27 AM
You got that tiny boat running pretty dang fast! It looks great too! :bowdown:

Rumdog
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
haha, handles better than a blackjack!

Alexgar
09-03-2009, 01:11 AM
I have a brushless mini v 28x47 motor 40a speed control and 3s 1300mah you got me beat

jfabcustom
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah! Battle of the Proboat Minis!! The first mini I tried to make haul ass was a V. It was the Aquacraft Mini Rio. With this setup it had so much power it would torqu roll and run flat on the right side of the V. Then when you gave it rudder it would do some gnarly teater totter action left to right and flip over! Never experimented with any kind of trim tabs or turn fins though. Custom rudder might have helped too.

How many KV is the motor in your Mini V? What prop do you run? C rating on the Lipos?

jfabcustom
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Just got some cool plans for a sweet little 16" Cat. Thanks Pete!

I think this might be the one Dom.

Won't see 50mph on this build but it will be a good first scratch build to start with.

befu
09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey, new to this site, just saw this thread. That is realy well done. A little bit of tuning left to get the bounce out. Sometimes it settled right in and sounded perfect!

I have 6 of the mini-v's the family runs, modified to a flex drive, X431 red prop and 2 cell 2200 lipos. That is a fun fast setup. Not like yours, but for a family race it is good.

I just ordered a 17" brushless cat to experiment with and try from fleebay just so I can play and learn some. I am looking at building a fast small setup over the winter. Where did you find some plans for a 16" cat? I was looking for something between 14" and 17".

Keep it up, that looked great and don't sweat the guys that like to brag how much they spend!

Brian

wolf IV
09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Woo hoo that guys fast! Glad i ran across your thread, just finished my lil mmm.. Check it out.. 4200 kv on 3s 2200mah 30c w/ 40 amp custom water cooled esc.

jfabcustom
09-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks befu. Sounds like you got a perfect setup for the family fleet. Must be a blast!:rockon2:

I got the plans from Peells http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?u=683

I'm sure you could ask him for a set. He did charge me a small fee.

Happy boating,:buttrock: James

jfabcustom
09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
::doh: :eek: Wolf your killin me! :laugh: :rofl:

That thing just needs wings with some elevons. Imagine the possibilities Wolf, two hobbies in one!!!!! You could rip accross the pond, take flight, perform a few loops and rolls, then return to the water for a nice landing. Or how about a super low pass where the sponsons are just touching the water. I can here it now "Yup, got er runnin perty dry, she tops out at about 100 mph.":laugh:

Make sure your C/G is correct :rofl:

Let's see a video!

Alexgar
09-05-2009, 12:12 AM
jb running stock drive line with slight mod of shaft angle stock prop micro rec. ,3s 15c, 28x47 2200 kv 40a esc

Alexgar
09-05-2009, 12:22 AM
built 3/4 wide by 1 1/4 long trim tabs realy keeps it planted in the nose

jfabcustom
09-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Alex any vids yet? Post em up if you got any.

To achieve optimal performance, make sure the C rating on your battery is enough to accomodate the motor's max amp draw. To do this, take the batteries milliamp hours or "Mah" and convert to Amp hours. 1300mah = 1.3 amp hours. Just move the decimal over three spaces to the left to get the amp hours. Then multiply that by the C rating 1.3Ah X 15C = 19.5amps

My ammo motor draws 30 amps max surge current.
So I run a 1500Mah 25C battery.
1.5Ah X 25C = 37.5amps more than enough to supply the motors needs.

I got my lipos on Ebay for dirt cheap.:buttrock:

Here's a link to my build. Feel free to rob any ideas:spy: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=5986

wolf IV
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Woo hoo that guys fast! Glad i ran across your thread, just finished my lil mmm.. Check it out.. 4200 kv on 3s 2200mah 30c w/ 40 amp custom water cooled esc.

YOU KNOW IT!! TOOK her OUT AND SHE WENT SURPRISINGLY REALY WELL THAT WAS UNTIL I FLIPPED her AND BLEW OUT THE IMPELLER:rofl:..:) A DIDNT EVEN THINK OF POS. TORQUE ROLL. she PROB. IS IN THE 30 MPH RANGE...THESE LITTLE HULLS ARE AWESOME!!! CHEAP AND FUN!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Alexgar
09-05-2009, 02:07 PM
no videos yet but my pro boat is down (esc) so all i have is my ovalmaster and mini v, but was thinking of going out today after the sun let up a little. Ill grab my camera.As far as the battery , thats all they had a the hobby store with a ec3 conn
any demensions to fit my boat

links to my other boats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ux2BU6yIQ&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywy2k6P-NfY&feature=channel_page

jfabcustom
09-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Very nice Alex. Keep up the good work! :thumbup1:

Ebay is the spot for cheap lipos. Usually they give dimensions and the C rating in the description. If they don't then don't buy em.

wolf IV
09-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Hobby city !!!!

Alexgar
09-23-2009, 11:43 PM
finallly got some vid on mini vee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrhMA0tQbw