PDA

View Full Version : I'm waiting!

v-spec
08-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I've been hoping the Rio EP section of this forum would come up soon!

Well I've ordered my Rio EP and am just waiting for it to come in. Once I receive it I will be shooting some pics of everything and taking everything apart to make sure it's all together like it should be!

Next I will go ahead and take it to the pond and make sure everything works correctly, if it does I will post some GPS numbers with the stock set up. From the Video's I've watched 100 times each (all 2 of them) I'm expecting maybe 15-17 Mph stock.

I will start with minor upgrades before doing a brushless conversion. I've still not decided on what I want but so far the Proboat Widowmaker 2900 Kv motor and an ETTI speedo will be going in it unless I figure something else out. I love the AQ products but I also really like the Proboat motors!

Anyways I'm pretty excited to get this plastic boat for some reason! I always loved the look of the Rio 51 but it's to big for me and it's gas. The Mini Rio is too small for the water conditions in my lake. (good for my pool though) So this fit the bill perfect!

Steven Vaccaro
08-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Its a great looking little boat in person and online. The best part is the radio system. It wont have to be scraped like most other rtr products.

v-spec
08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Yea if not for the radio I would not have bought it! I've got a nice radio for myself but I figured I could use the Tactic when my friends come along as a 2nd radio. Always hate handing them one of my cheap backup AM radios while I use a good one.

Steve, I had wondered if you had the Rio EP in stock cause I ordered some props from you last week and they got here real fast. I ordered the Rio from someplace else and have not even heard anything from them.

v-spec
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Well it looks as if the place on ebay I ordered my Rio EP from sold it to me while it was not even in stock so I'm going to have to wait even longer than I had hoped. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it though!

Grimracer
08-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for adding this section Steven.

We hope those of you that purchase and operate the Rio EP have as much fun as I have had designing it. I tried a bunch of different drive configurations and just kept going back to surface drive... the twin rudders are something we had to do for the general consumer.

A few notes about the boat.

It LOVES ROUGH WATER... the rougher the better...
Be careful adding to much motor to the thing.. if you do, watch your run times. With the batteries we have now days you can easily push the ESC to far if your not careful.

I did allot of testing on 7 cell packs and for the most part there only good for a extra mph or two.. again be careful on the duration of the run. For safety’s sake stick with 6 cells.

Make sure you get lots of rocking vids and pics on here.. We love to see the boat in action.

Grimracer

v-spec
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Man I can't wait! I've got a bunch of boats but something about the Rio EP the day I saw it I ordered it! Now I'm not looking for a speed demon here I never am but I would like a nice stable fun running boat to mess around with, If I hit 25mph or so I will be pretty happy.

I've got some great 6 cell Nimh packs and I've got some nice 2s Lipo's. I had planned to run the 6 cells since they don't run so well in my other boats with higher power so don't get much of any use.

On the dual rudder thing. If it runs where I want I won't bother replacing it. I've got a few sets of hardware I can install if I decide though. I've got a feeling that if I polish it up nice and do a few minor mods I will get what I want out of the boat looks and performance wise. (My idea is a cheap pretty boat to get my friends into it)

Anyways I am anxious to get this sucker even more so than I was to get my UL-1 lol!
I felt this way when I got a cheap Traxxas blast even though I had a nice Titan 29 and SV27 lol I guess I like plastic or something!:thumbup:

Steven Vaccaro
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
No problem Mike. I like this boat a bunch. Lots of bang for the buck. This boat looks like a great start for a beginner. I love the idea of one pack. I can easily see this boat being upgraded to a 2s pack and a small brushless motor/esc.

Steve, I had wondered if you had the Rio EP in stock cause I ordered some props from you last week and they got here real fast. I ordered the Rio from someplace else and have not even heard anything from them.

I have one instock, but more on order.

v-spec
08-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Looks like my boat should be here Monday. Can't wait to check it out!

Doby
08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I already have an electric Rio,,,of course its the 51" version.....might have to add this to the Rio collection for a fun basher!

v-spec
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
It's got a nice spare 2.4ghz radio!

Leskimo85
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Just picked mine up at the lhs yesterday! Looks pretty nice!!. One of the turn fins was bent in a little. Was able to bend it out pretty easy. on the left corner in the transom has a crinkle look in the plastic :confused: Just wondering if this will cause a week point later on?

I think this will be a good 2s brushless upgrade to compete with the Widdomaker. I love the hull design! Nice deep vee all the way back. Inside everything looks good. Like the sealed off area for esc, servo and rx. But I think the best part is the Tactic 2.4 it comes with :banana: for a $159 I think this is a no-brainer buy!!

v-spec
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Just picked mine up at the lhs yesterday! Looks pretty nice!!. One of the turn fins was bent in a little. Was able to bend it out pretty easy. on the left corner in the transom has a crinkle look in the plastic :confused: Just wondering if this will cause a week point later on?

I think this will be a good 2s brushless upgrade to compete with the Widdomaker. I love the hull design! Nice deep vee all the way back. Inside everything looks good. Like the sealed off area for esc, servo and rx. But I think the best part is the Tactic 2.4 it comes with :banana: for a $159 I think this is a no-brainer buy!!

Snap some pics of yours! Mine should be here today. I'll get some pics up tonight and I'll do it's first water test in my pool. Gonna take my UL-1 to the pond now though! :banana:

badag98
04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
can this thing run on 2c lipos stock or does it have to be modified?

Brushless55
04-05-2010, 08:57 PM
can this thing run on 2c lipos stock or does it have to be modified?

2s works just fine
the esc does not have a LVC so watch your run times.. :thumbup1:

badag98
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a 2s 15c 4000mah should this give me any trouble if i watch my times/temps?

Brushless55
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a 2s 15c 4000mah should this give me any trouble if i watch my times/temps?

No not at all :thumbup1:

badag98
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
One more question on the 2s lipos, will a 2S 25C 5000mah be too much for this little boat?

Brushless55
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
One more question on the 2s lipos, will a 2S 25C 5000mah be too much for this little boat?

Keep in mind you Mah is your run time...
If you could find a 6000mah that would fit, that will give even more run times
I use 30C 5000mah 2s packs, I can even fit 30C 5000mah 3s packs..