PDA

View Full Version : New For Us

vtblazer
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
My son & I upgraded our plastic boats a notch by finding a couple monos & drive gear from board members here.

We've been running boats since 2003 & figured it was time to go brushless.

I have an old Super Hawaii and a CEN Aqua Jet with the 775 motor and my son was running a Kyosho SunStorm, which was a decent starter boat for him when he was 9yrs old.

Now we're running a 26" NS2 (his) and a Fine Design 30" mono (mine) both with brushless motors.

Only running NiMH's right now but hopefully will be upgrading to Li-Po's next spring.

Couple pics and a vid that he took. (remember he's only 12, it's pretty jumpy)

First real run with his NS2, ran it on 14 cells then busted a prop.
(fairly small pond as you'll see)

Vid: http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/vtblazer/RC%20Boats/?action=view&current=MOV02743.flv

Last pic clearly shows who got to run this time out. :huh:

Rumdog
08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Lookin' sweet! get yourself an octura prop and you'll be good to go!

Jesse J
08-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Is that with the UL1 set up? When you gonna set up the old man's boat?

vtblazer
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Is that with the UL1 set up? When you gonna set up the old man's boat?

Yep, it's the UL-1 set up. :thumbup1:
Found an Octura X440 in my stash that's 3/16th we're going to try next.
Have a X442 on deck and an X437 three blade we may try.

As for the ole mans boat, I'm trying to figure out the drive & prop I want to run.
Working through what I have and comparing it to what I need.

Jesse J
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I would not go smaller than .150 cable. and if 4S M445 is good starting place, if more Voltage, smaller. That set up (Neu 1515 1.5Y) would work really nicely on 5S2P and you might get away with the M445 without too many amps.

vtblazer
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
:ohmy: I submerged the kids boat. :lol:

Started off with the X440, ran great...
Re-installed the rightside large turn fin, mostly lost the left turn all together.
Figured we try the X442 and it ran even better up untill the prop nut came loose and we lost it. :doh:

Changed out to the smaller turn fin, still hooked up well but allowed a better left turn.

Next was the X437 three blade, that worked okay too but the batts were winding down so we brought it in to change over to the 7 cell packs.

While we had it in, we decided to 'try' the X642 for giggles and with the pond becoming a little choppy from the wind...it made it too fast, that's we dad dunked the kids boat. lol
I was bringing it in and let off the throttle when all the sudden it freakin' dissappeared. :olleyes:
Sorry, this isn't the vid of it, just the boat running.
http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/vtblazer/RC%20Boats/?action=view&current=MOV02753.flv

Receiver got totally wet when all that was sticking out of the water was 6"s of the bow, so we called it a day.

Jesse J
08-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a great day!!! boat ran real good - dang good! the video is kinda choppy for me so hard to get a feel for speeds. but attitude looks great. sounds like you two had some adventure at the pond - what its all about.

try using locktite on the propnut, its cheaper than replacing good props. what prop is that in the vid? How were temps of motor/esc? did batteries get hot?

vtblazer
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a great day!!! boat ran real good - dang good! the video is kinda choppy for me so hard to get a feel for speeds. but attitude looks great. sounds like you two had some adventure at the pond - what its all about.

try using locktite on the propnut, its cheaper than replacing good props. what prop is that in the vid? How were temps of motor/esc? did batteries get hot?

Sorry 'bout the vid, it's from my little Sony camera.

We're both learning as we get into these faster boats, of course locktite...such a newb over sight. :o

We had a good time, the kid is catching onto what it really takes to go fast.
In reality, he's been very patient, more than I was at that age. :thumbup1: