PDA

View Full Version : Lipos Getting Wet

x2beach
08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
My lipos are getting wet everytime I run, I am using Clear Electrical tape to seal the hatch... any idea? I check the waterjacket on motor is not leaking.

Rumdog
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
any cracks near the turn fin? how are you checking the waterjacket?

Capt. Crash
08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
That would almost have to be a plumbing problem...most likely water jacket o-rings or hose connections. Take your finger and cover the water pickup hole in the rudder and blow into the exit tube on the transom...any air leaking? If there is take a mouthful of water and blow again only this time blow the water into the system and look for leaks.

If she is taped down right, (unless your tub is cracked or has a hole and letting water in) this is about the only other place it can get water in.

mickvk
08-17-2009, 08:22 AM
I've water tested hulls by sealing them and holding them under water to find air bubbles.

But my strong hunch is that your water is coming up your drive shaft. As the boat passes through the water, low pressure is produced behind the boat. The same principle that causes a venturi to move air/fuel through a carb. Do you have the same amount of water after a new grease application on your drive shaft??

x2beach
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I am wondering if this Walmart Brand Clear Electrical Tape is the problem? the boat is brandnew only been in water 3 times..

Can I remove the waterjacket from the motor. I read it doesnt really need it.. Getting little scared lipo and water not good.

me and my budy both bought these bought same time from tower. Both getting water in them.

mickvk
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I am wondering if this Walmart Brand Clear Electrical Tape is the problem? the boat is brandnew only been in water 3 times..

Can I remove the waterjacket from the motor. I read it doesnt really need it.. Getting little scared lipo and water not good.

me and my budy both bought these bought same time from tower. Both getting water in them.

Before removing the water jacket, test it as described above.
It might be the tape or the application (wrinkles), you can test that too.
How much water are you talking about, a couple tablespoons or a lot?

x2beach
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
couple tablespoons. enough that my lipos have water under the shrink.

Do we need to watercool the motor ?

mickvk
08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
couple tablespoons. enough that my lipos have water under the shrink.

Do we need to watercool the motor ?

I can't seem to prevent that amount of water either. I think it's from the shaft.

To live with it, I put the radio in a balloon. Same with the batteries. I change the balloons often though because balloons trap water in if they've been under a lot of water.

And the motor definitely requires the water cooling jacket. If you run without it, definitely get a telemetry device like an eagletree seagull or a Spektrum DX3 to show you real time temp.

x2beach
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
my Batteries are always getting wet tho.. That cant be good for lipos ?

mickvk
08-17-2009, 10:17 AM
my Batteries are always getting wet tho.. That cant be good for lipos ?

I've heard that the lithiums sacks themselves are waterproof, but the electronics between the cells can get damaged. I've gotten lips fairly wet about 20 times this season, no trouble yet. This is my first year using lithium cells.

x2beach
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Just makes me nervous getting them so wet. I am going to put mine in the Tub tonight and find out why mine are getting so wet

mickvk
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I held mine under in a lake for several minutes. I found a few bubbles when the water cooling tube purged it's air. Never saw another single bubble. What I concluded was that the grease creates a decent seal at a stand still. But water must get sucked through the drive shaft at speed.

Maybe you'll find a hull leak though....

tharmer
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Try a piece of heat shrink from the stuffing tube to the shaft. Shrink it down and it will seal the tube so no water gets in. With a bit of grease under it, the shrink wrap won't melt or deform.
-t

mickvk
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
That's a great idea. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Capt. Crash
08-18-2009, 08:37 AM
I've never had a drop of water come out my stuffing tube into the tub...and I don't use any special seal or shrink on the end of the shaft, just a light coat of fresh Grim Racer Grease on the shaft after every 3 runs and a little added light weight oil in the strut tube. I have had some leakage around the outside of the stuffing tube into the hull and a little glue between the tube and entry into the hull fixed that.

The only time I every got water into the tub was a leaky water jacket or I busted open the hatch seal after a wreck.

You absolutely sure your not getting water in the tub from a leaky water jacket or fitting?

Gary
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
My boat has the same problem and i have had it apart many times. I make one pass {almost 90mph}and bring it back and i always have to drain alittle water out. Its got to be coming from the shaft. I will try the shrink wrap idea!

mickvk
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
My boat has the same problem and i have had it apart many times. I make one pass {almost 90mph}and bring it back and i always have to drain alittle water out. Its got to be coming from the shaft. I will try the shrink wrap idea!

90? Holy cow man. So when it comes in, what's the best way to extinguish the flames!! :) Just kidding. I have a new UL-1 that does under 40 and I can't keep it flat. I have a 32" inch vee that's even slower than that which needs some stability tuning. 90 is a looong way away for me. But I just bought an ETTI demon from OSE so I'm looking forward to trying!!