PDA

View Full Version : ul-1 strut ?

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 02:05 AM
HEY JUST PULLED THE STRUT OFF THIS THING AND THE STUFFING TUBE RUNS ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK OF THE STRUT MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO ADJUST STRUT ANGLE..:ThumbsDown01:

Fluid
08-13-2009, 07:37 AM
This is common on nitro, gas and high performance FE boats. This reduces drag and improves drive line alignment. Many Hundreds of boaters around the world don't seem to have too much trouble with this setup. You can still bend the UL-1 tubing to a degree - which is probably good since you don't need to make drastic changes. :thumbup1:

Doby
08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I have made adjustments to mine and the stuffing tube can easily be bent to accomodate minor changes in angle adjustments. It doesn't take much to make a substantial difference in how the boat performs.

Just how much of an adjustment are you trying to make???

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
neutral, and there's no way. none of my other strut setups are that way, the teflon only protrudes up into the strut so adjustment is infinite

Rex R
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
granted that one needs an extra pair of hands (or a small vise grip) adjusting the angle is possible. :)

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
yeah maybe with 2 hands or a vice, hmm similar procedure to the sv27's crappy strut

Steven Vaccaro
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I like this type of setup for hydros. It makes a solid connection at the strut. I've seen flex cables whip and break in front of the strut when in unsupported teflon.

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
no im not talking about unsupported teflon im talking about when the tube ends at the front of the strut and the teflon extends into the strut- nothing unsupported

Rex R
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
one could cut the tube...but you would still need a piece of .25" tube inside the strut. I'll admit that one does need to do a bit more of planning ahead when installing the stuffing tube to get the initial setting right...but it is do-able.

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
i guess ill carefully cut the brass and keep the teflon long , keep the excess tube and stick it in the strut w the extra telon tail. making it easily adjustable at the strut with one person no vice.

Rex R
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
one problem with that plan, the teflon liner does not extend into the strut. the strut isn't long enough to allow that.

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
what do you mean.. the brass tube it stuck all the way thru the strut how could there not be room for teflon

6S HYDRO
08-13-2009, 02:06 PM
wait are you saying that there is no teflon inside that portion of tube, cause the strut bushing rests inside the stuffing tube

Rex R
08-13-2009, 02:36 PM
(a)strut bushing runs the full length of the strut (b) liner has a smaller inside dia. than the bushing (and wont fit over the prop shaft. only way I can see to do this is to use a hughly shaft and shorten the bushing(at this point a new strut blade is starting to look like an easier option, or just live with the current setup).

Grimracer
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
6S

The brass tube does indeed run all the way through the strut on both the SV and the UL-1.. does the same on the Vegas as well.

Its a very stable system and does not shuck drives as easy as some other type of drive systems… having said this there are some other good ways to do a dive system. The one we use is very very stout.

If you feel you need to adjust past the point your muscles give up.. you can remove the drive shaft.. unbolt the center strut. slip the center strut off and then back of the stuffing tube and then back on upside down.. slip the strut back under the boat an inch or so, using it as a sortof handle.. tweak the brass stuffing tube to your desire. Reassemble.

Now.. I have to say.. starting a post off with WTF.. seems off pace since you seem to not understand what the design intent of this drive system is.. to me not a great way to hit it off with the neighbors. I guess you did not get the intent or appreciate the system when you started messing with your SV strut..

Maybe a nice.. Can somebody help me adjust my UL-1 strut?
My name is 6S and my strut wont adjust cuz the brass goes all the way through the strut and i can seem to get it to bend.. Thanks!

Have a nice day..
6S

But.. do as you do.. we are still here to help and help you understand.

To the gang of posters that helped 6S.. thanks!

Grimracer

Steven Vaccaro
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Now.. I have to say.. starting a post off with WTF.. seems off pace since you seem to not understand what the design intent of this drive system is.. to me not a great way to hit it off with the neighbors. I guess you did not get the intent or appreciate the system when you started messing with your SV strut..

Maybe a nice.. Can somebody help me adjust my UL-1 strut?
My name is 6S and my strut wont adjust cuz the brass goes all the way through the strut and i can seem to get it to bend.. Thanks!

Have a nice day..
6S

But.. do as you do.. we are still here to help and help you understand.

To the gang of posters that helped 6S.. thanks!

Grimracer

I agree. Topic title has been altered.

6S HYDRO
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
It was ray fuller that told me on my sv that you never want the stuffing tube running all the way thru your strut- cant get any adjustment.

On another note- thanks grim, and the new ul-1's are definately stronger all over and not in just the turnfin area, but mine still came out of the box with cracks all over the place (no qc) but lisa is great and is sending me another white hull without sending the boat back.. So great customer service.....