PDA

View Full Version : Etti 150 race Esc

EPower
08-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi well after burning my 3rd Etti Esc i have given up on this unit Frst time blew the caps added the extra caps bank to the second one, that one just stopped in the middle of the pond for no reason sent it back and mr Dee told me (Please be informed that the problem 150A ESC has been repaired!
We have found your ESC has 12 x mosfets and 2 x IC were damaged)
Got it back and on the second run same thing again stopped in the middle of the pond so i will not waste anymore of my money so far it owes me 600 nz$ (that includes a new lid for my MHZ Lizard Extreme that blew off the first time :w00t:)

I pulled the watercooling plate off it and i cannot figure out what it is supposed to cool ? can some one tell me?
Cheers Adrian

NorthernBoater
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
It is cooling the ground plane on the board.

Rumdog
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
where the heck are the mosfets?!

andym
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I too blew mine up with the cap board with well under 150 amp draw as well as the data logger and box that just did not work, threw the lot in the bin. For my 4s set ups it is back to the CC240 for me.
When they go up the coating they use really gets burning!

EPower
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
where the heck are the mosfets?!

That exactly what i mean

Rumdog
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Unbelievable!

crabstick
08-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Ah Ballstrolley, when will someone make an ESC thats not a grenade! (that doesn't cost 1 squillion dollars)

DISAR
08-12-2009, 05:05 AM
I already blew two, probably one is in the post on the way back. Thanks Steven.

Epower do you run your boats in sea water or pond? When running in sea water, no ESC can survive after immersion.

I'm having positive results with the MGM Compro 25035 Zseries totally enclosed in a box made from epoxy and fibre. Expensive ESC but if you add the cost of the ones that I burnt and wasted time for water cooling-proofing cleaning etc...it is super.

EPower
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I already blew two, probably one is in the post on the way back. Thanks Steven.

Epower do you run your boats in sea water or pond? When running in sea water, no ESC can survive after immersion.

I'm having positive results with the MGM Compro 25035 Zseries totally enclosed in a box made from epoxy and fibre. Expensive ESC but if you add the cost of the ones that I burnt and wasted time for water cooling-proofing cleaning etc...it is super.

I have been looking at the MGM Compro 25035 E esc too i also like the new Schulze fut-l-24.150WK not sure witch one i will buy
What setup are you running with your MGM ?

DISAR
08-13-2009, 04:07 AM
I tried it in:

a) DF 36" with a NEU 1515 1.5Y on 4s with X648, 5s with 645,646, 6s with custom 43mm
b) Mean Machine with NEU 1512 2D, 4s with 442
c) Mean machine with Align 600XL 4-5-6s with props 648-43mm
d) MM with Feigao 9XL 4s 445-645

The ESC survived in all tests where others had already died. I also use the black box with the USB link and see the amps on the pc. I do not know if 100% correct though.
The 24.150 has inferior specs, and so far the MGM is super.

Himalaya
08-13-2009, 04:16 AM
The plate cools the PCB's copper plane, it's where the MOSFETs were supposed to be soldered on, at the other side of the board. This could be a good engineering cos this allows a full-metal thermal path MOSFET-->soldering pad--> thermal vias--> copper plane--> aluminum plate--> water. Look at the "themal vias", 4 as a group, locate right underneath every MOSFET to tranfer heat to the copper plane. Unfortunately only half vias are connected to a copper plane, others have extremly tiny area to conduct with the aluminum plate, that could lead to some themal problems.

Ub Hauled
08-13-2009, 04:29 AM
I pulled the watercooling plate off it and i cannot figure out what it is supposed to cool ? can some one tell me?
Cheers Adrian

Adrian, I feel your pain... I have bought and stuck by another brand of ESC that failed me one too many times, sometimes when I hooked up the batteries (hint). Anyway,
the FETs are sandwiched between the bottom board and the secondary board that you can see upon close inspection.They are mounted on the bottom board hens the heat transferring paste between the cooling plate and the bottom board... there should probably have been some more paste...

EPower
08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Adrian, I feel your pain... I have bought and stuck by another brand of ESC that failed me one too many times, sometimes when I hooked up the batteries (hint). Anyway,
the FETs are sandwiched between the bottom board and the secondary board that you can see upon close inspection.They are mounted on the bottom board hens the heat transferring paste between the cooling plate and the bottom board... there should probably have been some more paste...

Hey no worries i now know not to buy cheap over rated Etti esc and, i can't belive that his 200 Amp HV is selling for 430 Usd that's a joke really
Cheers

DISAR
08-14-2009, 04:04 AM
I sent my burnt one to Steven and today I received a new one free of charge, that's a very good service.

Probably the ETTIs are very good for smaller boats (up to 30" max) and max 5s.

Steven Vaccaro
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey no worries i now know not to buy cheap over rated Etti esc and, i can't belive that his 200 Amp HV is selling for 430 Usd that's a joke really
Cheers

Let me first say that I feel your pain and understand your frustration. I've been there and pulled the hair out of my head.

Let me explain how the Etti repairs are handled. ALL repair and warranty correspondence is done from the Customer to the Dealer. You cant go directly to Etti. So I know should know every problem that's been had with my customers and their problems with Etti controls. This is important, because it allows me to know the number of problems happening out there. I can say that its not as bad as you are making it out to be. Its rather quite small and on par or a bit better than the other esc's out there. I've literally sent less than 20 esc's back for repair or replacement. That number pails in comparison to the number that are sold and currently running around. Also if the Etti esc's were as bad as you think I wouldn't be selling the product. For two reasons. 1st I just pain dont want to sell junk. 2nd for the simple fact that I have to pay the shipping costs for returning these esc's. Both back and forth.

Could it possibly be your setup? What setup did you use? What batteries did you use and rating?

Flying Scotsman
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Let me first say that I feel your pain and understand your frustration. I've been there and pulled the hair out of my head.

Could it possibly be your setup? What setup did you use? What batteries did you use and rating?

Also, I have a Lizard Extreme and I am interested in your setup

Douggie

EPower
08-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Let me explain how the Etti repairs are handled. ALL repair and warranty correspondence is done from the Customer to the Dealer. You cant go directly to Etti. So I know should know every problem that's been had with my customers and their problems with Etti controls. This is important, because it allows me to know the number of problems happening out there. I can say that its not as bad as you are making it out to be. Its rather quite small and on par or a bit better than the other esc's out there. I've literally sent less than 20 esc's back for repair or replacement. That number pails in comparison to the number that are sold and currently running around. Also if the Etti esc's were as bad as you think I wouldn't be selling the product. For two reasons. 1st I just pain dont want to sell junk. 2nd for the simple fact that I have to pay the shipping costs for returning these esc's. Both back and forth.

Could it possibly be your setup? What setup did you use? What batteries did you use and rating?`

Hi Steve
I understand that you have some interest in this thread because you sell Etti esc
so let's start here
I brought my Etti esc from you at the beginning of this year, ( ALL repair and warranty correspondence is done from the Customer to the Dealer) wrong when i contacted you by email you gave me mr Dee email address and told me to contact him directly (you may have a different policy for ovrseas coutomers?) so all shipping costs have come out of my pockets
since then i have been dealing with him
My setup
KB45 XL 1600 kv
2 X Zippy R 20c 4500 Mah 3s (running in series = 6s)
Octura M445 shrpened & balanced
with this setup i blew the caps on the esc sent it back to etti he repaired it and told me i should add the extra caps board he supplied & fitted it to the esc for me
got it back ran it with the zippys twice then brought some Hyperion 5500 Mah G3 35c 3s running in series making 6s same motor & prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9n_93pYXU

this is the first run with the Hyperion batt,the next day i ran the boat again and after about two minutes it just stopped in the middle of the pond no visible dammage to the esc all caps where fine no bad smell but the esc was dead again
sent it back to Etti, I sent Dee an email with my setup and batt i was using, i waited for about 3 & 1/2 weeks he replied me (Please be informed that the problem 150A ESC has been repaired!
We have found your ESC has 12 x mosfets and 2 x IC were damaged)
i sent me the funds for the repair it arrived a week later and after two runs the same thing happened again just stopped
If his product could not handle my setup he should have told me so i would have sold his over rated esc and brought one that could handle the job very simple to me i could have saved me a few dollars :beerchug:
Adrian

Flying Scotsman
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
That motor is an amp hog

Douggie

egneg
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I just got a 150 with extra caps so as of this time I don't have an opinion. But I have never smoked an ESC or motor. I have had a lipo puff once but I bought it used so the history of it is questionable. Folks need to be realistic with the capabilities of the equipment they are using - extreme setups that don't use full throttle most of the time will go up in ...:flashfire:

EPower
08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
That motor is an amp hog

Douggie

Dee knows i started this thread so i guess he can join in :biggrin:

Flying Scotsman
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Who is Dee? I can be stupid most of the time :biggrin:

Douggie

EPower
08-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Who is Dee? I can be stupid most of the time :biggrin:

Douggie

LOL you should put your reading glasses on an read this thread proprely Dee is the man at Etti, anyways this is all i have to say,i have been put off boating altogether now, so i decided to sell all my boats and be done with it all the best to all you guys
Happy boating :beerchug:
Adrian

Flying Scotsman
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
LOL you should put your reading glasses on an read this thread proprely Dee is the man at Etti, anyways this is all i have to say,i have been put off boating altogether now, so i decided to sell all my boats and be done with it all the best to all you guys
Happy boating :beerchug:
Adrian

That is my problem...I am an old fart and just that the ALL BLACKS lost you might be in a bad mood and I might find my specs and I trust you continue FE boating

Douggie

tth
08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I have 2- Etti 150 esc's and they are wonderful. I will put them right up to, if not above the Hydra series from castle. I run slightly hotter setups than most "sport" boaters. These little controllers will take a lot. I hope you get your facts right about the KB motors and running them on 4500mah 20c discharge zippy's. You are running a very hot setup with lots of amps being demanded. Just trying to shed some light.

Steven Vaccaro
08-14-2009, 11:40 PM
`
I brought my Etti esc from you at the beginning of this year, ( ALL repair and warranty correspondence is done from the Customer to the Dealer) wrong when i contacted you by email you gave me mr Dee email address and told me to contact him directly

I stand corrected, you were the first and last customer of mine to go directly to Dee. I forgot about this. After I asked you to contact Dee, he emailed and asked us to have all customers come to us for repairs and warranties.

cybercrxt
08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Steve, I just sent you a message tonight asking how to send my Etti 150 race back for repair. I ran it twice on a boat setup that worked fine with a hobbywing 180a before trying this etti on it. Please email me back when you get a chance. Thanks, Michael Luszcz, madaccord@hotmail.com

Steven Vaccaro
08-25-2009, 06:20 AM
I replied to your email yesterday.

Just a fyi about forums, its a bad idea to post your email. It will get picked up by spam bots.