PDA

View Full Version : it's here!

SweetZ28
08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Added some paint and detail to bring her to life!!
Stuck with the red and black scheem

Well it looks great looks like they use a solid cable now ...only one thing is my esc receiver unit is flopping around and it did not stay stuck in place so now i don't know where it supposed to go!!

I am going to put deans connectors on it and try and see if i can run it later.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15889&d=1250018943
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15890&d=1250018954
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15891&d=1250018962

Ub Hauled
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
WOW. look at this little bugger! Very nice!!!
How does she ride? Take some video for us please

SweetZ28
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
WOW. look at this little bugger! Very nice!!!
How does she ride? Take some video for us please
It is big it's 17.5IN long way nicer size than the other minis.
:cursing: I AM PISSED!!!
First off when i got this the speed controle wasl off flopping all around it supposed to be way up under in top of the hull! boy what a time getting it back up where it belongs...there crappy velcro came right off the esc!

Next i go to the pond to shoot a video and i put it in the water and go about 2 feet and zeeeeeeee the dumb jerks who put it together did not tighten the coupler to the drive shaft!!! No video and a big wast of time ...and just to think i was almost going to take my tools along but i decided not to!!\

O well at least i got to run my groupner manta!! I got a little vid of it going i will post it later... Had troubles with this also my motor ran at 95 Deg but my ESC was 165Deg!! I have to put water cooling on it some how....
Till next time!!

racer1
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I just got one and everything was right. The stock motor and esc lasted one run. I am in the middle of modifying it to brushless. New flex shaft, stuffing tube, prop, and strut are in the mail. I will post some pix when I have it going.

Brushless55
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
It is big it's 17.5IN long way nicer size than the other minis.
:cursing: I AM PISSED!!!
First off when i got this the speed controle wasl off flopping all around it supposed to be way up under in top of the hull! boy what a time getting it back up where it belongs...there crappy velcro came right off the esc!

Next i go to the pond to shoot a video and i put it in the water and go about 2 feet and zeeeeeeee the dumb jerks who put it together did not tighten the coupler to the drive shaft!!! No video and a big wast of time ...and just to think i was almost going to take my tools along but i decided not to!!\
O well at least i got to run my groupner manta!! I got a little vid of it going i will post it later... Had troubles with this also my motor ran at 95 Deg but my ESC was 165Deg!! I have to put water cooling on it some how....
Till next time!!

this is why we go over all parts and make sure they are tight and where they need to be and check for leaks before making a run... :bounce:

JimClark
08-20-2009, 08:28 PM
What brushless are you going to try?

I just got one and everything was right. The stock motor and esc lasted one run. I am in the middle of modifying it to brushless. New flex shaft, stuffing tube, prop, and strut are in the mail. I will post some pix when I have it going.

racer1
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I am using the brushless motor and esc from the Helimax MX400 Pro

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLBS1&P=7

I would have some pictures posted by now but I can't figure out how to do it. I saved them to my profile but I don't know what to do from there. if U can help you will be able to see it.

JimClark
08-20-2009, 10:05 PM
what did you do with the motor mount?
Is it a flex shaft now?

racer1
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I left the stock motor mount the holes lined up perfect. I just wraped the strap with tape to make it tight on the motor. It comes with a solid piano wire shaft with a 3 or 4 mm drive. I put in a .91 flex shaft with a 1/8 drive. Do you know how to post pictures? sorry Im new.

JimClark
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
copy the location of the picture (the URL) and go to the message window. At the top there is a picture icon paste the URL into it.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=898

racer1
08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=899

racer1
08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=897

racer1
08-20-2009, 11:04 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=896

racer1
08-20-2009, 11:05 PM
thanks for the instrustions

Rumdog
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
have you ran it yet? I wonder if it's gonna try to plane on the turn fins at higher speed. 2 turn fins on a hydro?! wonder how she's gonna ride

racer1
08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
i have run it with and without those fins. I put them there in hopes of holding the nose down. now no matter what I do and how I adjust the drive and weight at about 30+ it stuffs the nose. I'm clueless cause I have tried less weight in the front and the torque rolls it over and adjusting the drive to pitch the nose up and it skips all over the water and is completely un-controlable. If you have any insight it would be great.

domwilson
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
What prop is that?

JimClark
08-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Never noticed the two turn fins why on earth did you do that? that would cause more problems in handling.

i have run it with and without those fins. I put them there in hopes of holding the nose down. now no matter what I do and how I adjust the drive and weight at about 30+ it stuffs the nose. I'm clueless cause I have tried less weight in the front and the torque rolls it over and adjusting the drive to pitch the nose up and it skips all over the water and is completely un-controlable. If you have any insight it would be great.

JimClark
08-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Probably an x430

Rumdog
08-23-2009, 01:19 AM
What's the "plate" near the front of the hull?

racer1
08-23-2009, 01:21 PM
you can't tell in the picture bot the "plate" is actually stick on lead to add weight to the front. The prop is an octura X432 I'm gonna take off the two fins cause you're right it didn't help.

SPISHAK
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=897

Should the prop be that far out back on this tiny little pond skimmer? I've been lurking around these mini thunder threads trying to decide whether this should be my first hydro. (I have access to a tiny pond, and can't go with anything much bigger or faster) TIA

SPISHAK
08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
The stock motor and esc lasted one run.

They burned up on first run?

SPISHAK
08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
how much water gets inside of these buggers?

SPISHAK
08-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I am using the brushless motor and esc from the Helimax MX400 Pro

will that motor fit the stock coupler/shaft/whatever you call it that goes to the stock prop? The only mods I plan to do are BL conversion and bigger turn fin.....just want a bit more speed and better turn bite. TIA

racer1
08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
it didn't burn up, it just wasnt fast enough for me. If you don't tape it up a considerable amount of water gets inside but everything is "waterproof" I tape mine and I only get a little from the stuffing tube. I don't know what motor will fit the adapter right except for what I put in but you have to make a spacer for the strap that holds the motor cause it's a little smaller diameter.

If you go brushless I recomend that you only run up to 3000 kv and a 2 cell lipo or you start running into major stability issues withous serious modification (as you can see by the pictures)

as for the turn fin, just drill new holes in the boat and lower it like 1/2 inch. if you havea vice you can also put like 20-30 degrees of hook in it to hold the side down when you corner.

Here is a link for the motor.....Hope I could help.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLBS1&P=7

SweetZ28
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Mine feels pretty quick with the T-400 motor installed..... and it runs cool so i bet you can use a little bigger better prop and that to will make it a little faster.

SPISHAK
08-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Mine feels pretty quick with the T-400 motor installed..... and it runs cool so i bet you can use a little bigger better prop and that to will make it a little faster.

What size is stock? What size would you suggest? I'm new and this is my first boat. TIA

SweetZ28
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
What size is stock? What size would you suggest? I'm new and this is my first boat. TIA

Go on aquacrafts web site and look at the mini thunder and at the bottom they list hop ups and the T-400 is shown ...I used it and it makes the boat a nice swift speed.

SPISHAK
08-28-2009, 10:30 PM

I was talking about the prop! :doh: My mini was just delivered and it does not look like a bigger prop will fit under there. I will keep it stock but with the T400 motor and 1600mah bat from the upgrade list.....and a maybe a bigger turn fin. I will also start on a custom paint scheme. :rockon2:

JimClark
08-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Mine had a 30mm prop

SweetZ28
08-29-2009, 09:02 AM
:thumbup1:I got a nice 2200 20C lipo that i am going to try with mine with the T-400 motor it should come alive!!
That's if it ever stops raining here!!!:cursing:

v-spec
08-29-2009, 07:40 PM
:thumbup1:I got a nice 2200 20C lipo that i am going to try with mine with the T-400 motor it should come alive!!
That's if it ever stops raining here!!!:cursing:

Boat's run good when they are wet! Go ahead at take it out!

SweetZ28
08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Well with the lipo it stunk...it felt like with the stock battery and T-400 this boat is at it's limit in stock form......with the lipo it just gives it that little more than the nimh battery and it cavitates and the rear stays pushed to the left side and it takes for ever to get on plane!!! what is it with this boat it always feels like air is under it in the prop and the bats rear always stays to the left side making it not go straight and get on plane...any help will be great.

JimClark
08-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Did you leave it in the stock position? If you did the CG was way different

SweetZ28
08-29-2009, 10:33 PM
what would be needed to do what way would i need to move it.... funny thing it does this with the stock battery also?

JimClark
08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Weigh the batteries to see how much difference in weight. My guess is you will need to move weight forward. Wonder where the cg is in the stock setup

SweetZ28
08-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Weigh the batteries to see how much difference in weight. My guess is you will need to move weight forward. Wonder where the cg is in the stock setup

the batteries are like 20 grams lighter than the stock NIMH packs....but even with these it feels funny ... you give it gas and you see the rear pushing towards the left fighting it's self when you are going straight and it kind of sounds like there is air under the prop and the boat takes a very long time to get strai and on plane ?

poobs
07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi

I'm considering buying two of these little hydros or two of the Mini rios torace with my son. Hopefully I can make it faster later on.

Did anyone get the hydro running fast and stable with brushless and 2S Li- Po ?

What do you guys think of this set up ? http://cgi.ebay.com/1700-Outrunner-Brushless-RC-Motor-30A-ESC-y-/250662338379?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5ca3bf4b

:confused2: