PDA

View Full Version : Proboat Elam windin up

Jesse J
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Well here is a fun little compilation I put together of a couple sessions. Sorry no music, but hopefully some style that will compensate.... Unfortunately the vid card filled up JUST before the nose dive - total submersion for 1.7 seconds and resurfacing, but oh well, who doesn't have a big fish tale?

This is one of three spec class hydros I am prepping for family racing. Converted from (I don't know why) nitro set ups. Proboat motors on 5 and 6S. Gotta thank my buddy JP for photography and filming (not professional grade camera like CAMEL though).

Wolf, this is your competition!!! I will have a clone of this in Llumar yellow when we rumble at new years!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGTfIDlI7Q

tth
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice job, thats definately a tight fit in this hull. Was she a converted nitro or electric Elam?

Jesse J
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
converted from a unsoiled nitro set up. Yes tight is an understatement!!

Jeff Wohlt
08-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I am going to have to realize how much hell you give this stuff. :)

If you want to replace the bearings when they go then I suggest ceramic.

Looks good man.

If temps were good I would bump that prop up and gain another 4-5 mph.

Ub Hauled
08-09-2009, 12:26 AM
She fast man!
Very stable as well!!!

Has anyone seen videos of Darin's Elam? I wonder how hat boat is doing.

Jeff Wohlt
08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Jesse, your 093 drives are done and the Etti is ready to ship. Not sure what I can do with that other coupler with the set screw broken. I can try to drill it but doubt it will work. I use larger set screws now in everything.

sailr
08-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Dang Jesse, you can sure cram 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag!!

Jesse J
08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a plan Jeff, don't worry about that coupler, I just sent it along in case it was an easy fix. I am glad you use bigger screws cuz that guy broke my smaller hex.

as for the hell I am giving your drives ------ I can't hold back!! my 27" 5S cat is routinely breaking 1/16" drives on a M440 (surprised?) but the weird thing is that they break in the middle??? I have a continuous smooth curve in the stuffing tube, but after a little bit going that crazy they pop. I will send you the two drives so you can assess and in the mean time, I retrofit her with 5/32 stuffing for .078. If it would help I can send you some pics of the bend, which I thought was pretty graceful, but the break is not so...

Back to the Elam, since I am working on the prototype for my spec class Proboat hydroplane racing fleet, are you thinking that the bearings won't be able to handle 30K rpms? remember these are Proboat 1500 KV motors on 6S -- not eve 35K rpms. In my next couple struts I will be ordering before long, are you suggesting ceramic bearings? If so I will be then getting 3 sets and move this one to the cat.

Jeff Wohlt
08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
If they are breaking in the middle then sounds like rubbing on the stuffing tube...look where they break and see if they are shiney.

I am just sayig on the bearings you may want to step up. I only use meduim grade bearings. The full SS or ceramic can handle more. Ceramic are excellent but still need the lube. I fill my strut up before running them after the shaft is installed.

On 5-6S I really would stay with 78 wire. You should check other before the break to see if the rub is eating them....but it should eat you stuffing tube first as carbon steel is pretty darn hard.

wolf IV
09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Jesse, this little girl is pist on 6's!!!!! You did a really gooood job on her! Ive got another set up in the mail right now. You will smoke me with your 6's set up! Watch for some upcoming testing on the elam...

nate
09-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Jesse What packs or pack was you running, and also Im guessing this things in the mid 50's she's flying!! Can you get some pictures of this boats insides? Thanks

nate
09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
haha nevermind I didn't watch the rest of the vid, I c now lol

Jesse J
09-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Nate, I was hoping to run those 5S packs you sold me in this set up, they are GREAT packs, by the way. This was on Rhino packs ($60 in batteries...).

I am workin on the Oberto now (my new avatar), she's another 50 mph demon but on 4S. Vids to come shortly.

6S HYDRO
09-23-2009, 01:04 AM
i think you didnt hold it long enough, need a bigger lake. that looks like it would have gone faster than 47mph,
i did 53.1 on a totally stock ul-1 on 5s, with a 38/63L prop and yours looked and sounded faster

Jesse J
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Good observation Paul! She was twitchen to open up, but I was not used to a waterborne missile. I have a pond now that should be big enough. I will try to get out Sunday to try the Elam and the Oberto - as long as the weather holds and no wild wind.

bigpapa
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
looks awsome as usual my friend...........

Jesse J
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
A'ight WOLF, here is your 6S vid.... she was lookin realll good. first clip is 5S then second 6S. (she's gettin close to 60 mph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijVS_FGYos

domwilson
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Didn't see the GPS reading. Video ended. Whassup wit dat?

Jesse J
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Didn't see the GPS reading. Video ended. Whassup wit dat?

Crikes, you are right... sorry bout that, must have forgot, it was doing 56.7mph (you'll just have to trust me on this one).

Sorry Dom and anyone else for the trick (wasn't intentional):tongue_smilie:

domwilson
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
The video looks great. There used to be a time when some people claimed that these hulls (nitro version) became very unstable after 40-45 mph. I am glad to see people proving that theory wrong.

Jesse J
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Dom, yes the only problem is that it doesn't SEEM like they are going that fast until you are there in person watching it cross the big pond like it were little. Keep in mind the boat weights over 6 lb running. I have added 12oz to the front (half at the tip of each sponson) AND have kinda pushed the batts up into the back end of the sponsons. COG is probably 1.2" from back sponson. She is almost sinking until she is up. Don't worry lots of flotation, she won't go down.

domwilson
10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I put my batts into the front cockpit. Unfortunately, it appears only a couple of brands will fit. I did some upgrades not to long ago on mine. But due to economic circumstances, I haven't had the opportunity to test.

Jesse J
10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
My cockpit is a little cramped. did this so I would have more flexibility with batt placement.

wolf IV
10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
A'ight WOLF, here is your 6S vid.... she was lookin realll good. first clip is 5S then second 6S. (she's gettin close to 60 mph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijVS_FGYos

:bowdown:AHHHHH!!!!!!! THANKYOU SOOOO MUCH!!! THAT THING IS SOOO SICK!!! I CANT BELIEVE SHE CAN HANDLE ......:rofl: YOU WERE SCREEMIN ON THE VIDEO AS I WAS AS WELL!!!

wolf IV
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey jesse, tonight im sticking in a brandnew 9xl still on 4 s, but now i have lots of room for propping!!! Im redoing the stuffing tube as well.. Ill test her mid week .. Dude i have no chance against yours !!!

Jeff Wohlt
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Jessie, nice runs, dude! Your 3 bearing struts are headed out today. A slight change...thanks to Tony beating a few up setting his oval records we are now using a full bearing at the prop end. The flanged are just taking too much with so little in the strut so now they all come with a full bearing. This will take more beating and hold up better.

I can't bleieve how well that Proboat motor does with 5 and 6S. Great motor.

Jesse J
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks Jeff. Glad you were able to help out a racer. Me being a sporter I can wait. These will be for my spec class fleet of Proboat hydros (I have now the Llumar and Miss Bud to set up just like the Elam).

I had the first PB motor (purchased from you a couple years ago) in my DF26 (the same one who has burned up most of the ESCs I have roasted) and it was up to 55mph on 6S... It may have bitten the dust, but probably just needs a little openin up and sanding/lubing.

Jeff Wohlt
10-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Yep, open it up and get the rotor and mags clean (some 320 paper) and then put new bearings in it. The best bearings you can afford...I would suggest the hybrid ceramic from Boca....never worry about them again.

properchopper
10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
SuWeeeet !!! Boat rocks !! Scenery ain't bad either. Good Job !! :rockon2: