PDA

View Full Version : Unique Aeromarine Spring Cat

sailr
08-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Watch this youtube video. Pay attention to the way he mounted the motors! I've never seen it done that way and it is soooo simple. Also note the motors are not water cooled. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59cn54QVTEE&feature=related

LiPo Power
08-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Wicked!!!
Great and powerfull motors. Don't they need water cooling?
Robert

Jesse J
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
my that was a rush! great find Jim, inspiration for all us twin cat trainers.

So Bustit, did you fall asleep on this one?

Eyekandyboats
08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
i dont see whats so special?
what have i missed?

domwilson
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
i dont see whats so special?
what have i missed?

The Boat....:just-kidding:

bustitup
08-08-2009, 11:01 PM
my that was a rush! great find Jim, inspiration for all us twin cat trainers.

So Bustit, did you fall asleep on this one?

no sir...was pretty awesome

pretty nice setup

saleens7
08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
well thats definately a unique way of mounting the motors

and it hauls too

Fluid
08-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I first saw the video a year ago, and I agree with Taylor - a nice build but not that special. Certainly well behind what the Germans have been doing for years; we have several much bigger, faster twin cats in our club too. I guess if you hadn't seen twins run before then the video would be more impressive. It's trimmed poorly and needs the porpoising to stop; a year later it probably runs better. Note that I am not dissing the guy's work, it is a neat boat and he should be proud of it! It's just that there are a lot of boats just as cool and cooler built by members of this board - who do not feel the need to name themselves after their imagination.

Twins properly powered do not stress the motors as much as a single drive does. This reduces the heat buildup on the motors in the video which are pretty efficient anyway. (Note that he gets away with 120-amp controllers - but he's only running mid-50s on essentially 8S so he's not stressing the motors.) We used to race Neu motors without cooling all the time when we used NiMH cells, so it is not a big surprise that no water cooling is used. Water cooling is much over-rated in extending motor life anyway - some guys seem to think that just because they have a water cooled motor that they can't hurt the motor. Wrong.

I hope he never flipped the cat, it appears wide open to the pond. Regardless, I enjoyed watching the video again.

sailr
08-09-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm not saying there is anything unique about this cat and yes, there are bigger and badder and faster and and and

BUT, have you ever seen motors mounted that way in a twin? THAT is what is unique about it in my opinion. I see people go to a lot of trouble to squeeze the motors up into the sponsons with all sorts of special mounts, etc. This guy's solution is so easy!

Maybe I have led a sheltered life and this is common? Correct me if I'm wrong?

Fluid
08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
No it isn't common, but I have seen German and Dutch cats with similar setups. I remember seeing at least one nitro cat with the motors in the tunnel too. There is little that is truly original in R/C boats. I didn't mean to upset you with my post, I know this is not a good day for you. :sorry:

sailr
08-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Yes, bad day but no offense taken at all. Interesting to note this isn't unusual. I guess I've just lived a sheltered life! haha.

Eyekandyboats
08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Fliud.. here is a an example of a German hull with the same "style' of saw, as well as many American hulls will have the same style.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/grapuner/P1010918.jpg

Guys. we all know a flex haft can bend. most people bed it in a S for a long distance to avoid cable whip... why not just go a bit further and take that S bend to your advantage and make the motor in a more easily accessible place..
When i had my micro scat cat from Randy Naylor. I could not fit my 540 Lehner 3600 XL in it... even tho that is WAY to much power... i mounted the motor in the tunnel and then ran the flex to the center . It didn't work out good because the boat was way over powered.. but the theory was there.