PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Motor Housing Bolt Hole

Drag Boat Bob
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I finally replaced the stock motor connectors with the OSE 5.5 ones. None too soon either, as the insulation on a couple of the leads had melted together (had to tear them apart). I think I added to the problem by tie-wrapping the leads neatly together, something I won't do again.

I also took the time to add the thrust bearing.

However, when replacing the motor, I stripped one of the motor mounting bolt holes (the one in the motor housing). I was very careful because I knew this was an easy thing to do, but I guess I didn't realize how easy.

I think that Crash said he replaced one of his with a bigger bolt, but cannot seem to find the post for the size.

Anyone have an idea on how to deal with the stripped out hole in the motor housing? :confused2:

alvinsmith75
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Drill and tap it to a 4mm bolt. The following is a nice set to own. Each tap comes with the proper drill bit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE224&P=7

egneg
08-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Be very careful not to get any metal chips inside the motor.

Drag Boat Bob
08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Drill and tap it to a 4mm bolt. The following is a nice set to own. Each tap comes with the proper drill bit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE224&P=7

I don't have a drill press. Can you do this with a hand drill?

Drag Boat Bob
08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Be very careful not to get any metal chips inside the motor.

Would it be acceptable to tape up the motor???

egneg
08-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I would take it apart so the front endbell is away from the windings and magnets. Also I would rather use this than a hand drill.

http://www.micromark.com/DELUXE-PIN-VISE,7889.html

detox
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I would tape the motor shut then drill upwards so aluminum bits will fall back toward earth away from motor (tap upwards also). Next I would rinse motor out well using denatured alcohal then blow out particals using compressed air. Oil motor bearings afterwards.

alvinsmith75
08-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Hand drill, no problem.

Drag Boat Bob
08-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I would tape the motor shut then drill upwards so aluminum bits will fall back toward earth away from motor (tap upwards also). Next I would rinse motor out well using denatured alcohal then blow out particals using compressed air. Oil motor bearings afterwards.

If it is aluminum, then I don't have to worry about magnetic attraction, right?

sailr
08-09-2009, 08:17 AM
You have to worry about foreign objects inside the motor. The aluminum filings can get imbedded in the stator, foul the magnets, screw up the bearings, etc.

If it is aluminum, then I don't have to worry about magnetic attraction, right?

Drag Boat Bob
08-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks to everyone...

I ordered the Tap & Drill set and the Pin Vice.

Also, thanks for keeping me on track about taking the motor apart. I've never done that and thought I would end up creating more problems, but its the only failsafe way.

Since I am gearing up for the Lubricants testing, I am going to try a temporary fix by using a coarse thread same size bolt and cross thread it in (Crash was successful at this). I will eventually have to drill and tap it anyway when the parts arrive.

If I screw it up (no pun intended), it will give me a reason to upgrade the motor.