PDA

View Full Version : Cool her Down!

ncornacchi
08-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like to share some latest input on cooling. I have, as many, have been chasing the cooler components dilema. I never felt that the bored hole in the rudder was large enough to allow more water volume to the components, so I've been having some fun with it. The red Ul has some custom bent tubing, water pickup is somewhere just around the top of water while planing, so theres little drag or resistance. The plumbing has a Y so I can direct cool water separately to the motor and ESC, then it Y's back out. The boat runs like a horse, never heats up....The other pic is a small scoop over the rudder slot water pickup. Just used a copper "buchanan" (electrical squeeze type connector) cut in half and glued over slot (after reaming out the slots). On the yellow UL, I get a little chime walk, but is adjustable. The white UL is running a Feigo 7XL with Hydra240...This boat screams and spits water out like a fountain! In my opinion, water flow problem solved, onto hotter motor setups. BTW, I have seen no noticable decrease in speed (my e-Logger/GPS is out for repair), so I can't base my observations on true data yet regarding comprimise of speed, but I'd rather swap out a motor for larger and not worry so much about frying components...Just my 2 cents.....Grim...you've done a hell of a job giving us a baseline RTR,,,we are all just having fun and trying to make it a better machine

ncornacchi
08-08-2009, 06:43 AM
oops, forgot to post pics....

ncornacchi
08-08-2009, 06:53 AM
BTW, the turnfin bracket is 1/8" aluminum plate epoxied and through bolted to backing plate inside hull and using OSE's larger aftermarket brackets... these are done after the infamous turnfin cracking hull blues. Everytime we crack a hull, this is standard proceedure now

Brushless55
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Awesome stuff man!
what kind of speeds are you getting out of your white 7xl ?

witespy
08-08-2009, 03:20 PM
ekkkk.......lol

I replaced it with the rudder with the one off the Miss Vegas.

ncornacchi
08-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Awesome stuff man!
what kind of speeds are you getting out of your white 7xl ?

My EagleTree is out for repair, but the yellow one logs a consistant 45.5 MPH, and when we race head to head, the white one passes it like it was standing still. The red one is slow because of the mickey mouse water pickup, but never stops, never heats up....It's almost not fair to include the white one in our backyard races...I'd have to guess that its' breaking the 50MPH barrier...At least that's what we are hoping...When the orange one gets finished, she's getting a Nue 1515Y.....