PDA

View Full Version : turn fin fail

witespy
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello boaters,

New to the site, but the ul-1 is not my first boat. It looks like a great group over here, glad to meet everyone. So much to talk about, where to start.

Down here in Clearwater, Fl my local hobby store was closing its doors. He told me he had one of these Ul-1 still to sell. I currently own the miss vegas deuce and the blackjack by Aquacraft. So, I did not think I could go wrong.

On the first couple runs, the boat would get deeper in the water when I was not moving. It would not take long until the inside of the hull was filled with water. I knew something could not be right.

I decided to pack it up and see what I could find on the internet. I already did a pressure leak test at home and found a leak around the motor. I had to reseal that crappy water jacket everyone is talking about. I was able to get her water tight after a hour of taking it all apart.

Back to the water inside the hull. After inspecting the hull. My heart dropped to see how weak the UL-1 is in the turnfin area. It was already starting to hair line fracture. Just like the pictures of other ul-1 users (a guess "crash" talks about it the most =P ). But I did not crash the boat.

After that first hair line fracture started. I tried to support/seal it with some 5min epox. But there was no stopping it, unless you take the fin off. With the fin off the boat is very usable in turns.

I am guessing that I got a boat that was shipped before 06-15-09, and does not have the update hull. Good deal gone sour quick.

Not too sure what to do now. It seems other people cut there hulls out and try to support that area? Found that here ( http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8614 ) Buying a new boat? It does not seem like a new hulls are available?? found this site. ( http://kintecracing.com/UL-1_Upgrades.html ) from here. Ordered the Super Duty Turn Fin Bracket, and Rubycon Capacitor to protect that speed control I might want to update if I can get the that part of the hull to hold up.

That area seems to be stronger on the miss vegas deuce. feels Solid when I give it some pressure with my finger. The Ul-1 feels paper thin in this area.

lesson learned the hard way for sure.

last but not least . Does The water pick-up hole in the rudder seem a lot smaller then the deuce? or it just me. Does anyone have problems picking up water? Does anyone drill out this hold to make it bigger? swap out the rudder? I swapped out most of the soft cooling tubing for hard metal tubing, the system follows easier. I get a better reading of temperature too. plus I do not take the hot water turning from the motor back into the ESC, It just goes straight out.

I know I did not hit half of the stuff that is great on this boat. The only problems it the hull. so lets start here. Do you think shooting a email over to Aquacraft will help? Went back to the hobby shop. but they already close the doors.

thank you so much for all your information on this site. It should be noted in the manual to come here and read up this section before taking out your boat.

thank you again,

paul

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/witespy/P8070043.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/witespy/P8070048.jpg

longballlumber
08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Paul,

I am sorry to hear about the condition of your UL-1. At this point I think you have 2 options.

1. fix it yourself. Darin has done an excellent job of detailing the process that he used to update the turnfin area on his hull. Look thur this thread and see if your up to it. I is very rewarding to do the fix on your own and see the boat run afterwards http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6249 Me personally, I fixed my own but went a different direction. I went thru the bottom of the sponson ride pad. Either will get the job done. Unfortunatly I don't have pictures to share though.

2. you can call Hobby Services and discuss the issue with them. I am unsure of the turn around time, but I am sure they will try and help. http://www.hobbyservices.com/contact.html

About the cooling can. You have the wrong parts. I will call hobby services about the cooling can too. They should be able to provide you with the correct parts.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Mike

bigpapa
08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
paul, i have the boat darin fixed and its a rocket no problems with the fix follow the instruction as per darin and its fixed for good sorry to hear about your ul-1 fix it and it will be fool proof

god luck @!!!!!!!!!

bigpapa
08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
pics of mine

witespy
08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the quick replay. It looks I would be up to the first option, if hobby services can not help me. After reading the whole thing. He says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
A couple of questions:
"
1) My boat will not be red, will these mods work on other colros too??
Sorry dude... but this will only work on the white, yellow, or red boats... You "orange" guys are out of luck! Dang...

"

-this a joke about the color? the boat is orange, how would that make any difference?

bigpapa
08-07-2009, 01:10 PM
i would fix it myself anyway, it will be much stronger and u have the satisfaction of knowing its done wright ........ good luck

witespy
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I got a email from them saying:
Thank you for your recent email.
(deleted)

that sounds good but... The local hobby shop purchase receipt look like out of the 90's. It Does not have a date. just the price, and paid subtotal. If I send the boat in. will it be for repair or replacement? I seems like I got a old boat without these parts fixxed. Did they recall these boats,or just start to reinforced them. seems like I got a old hull before they started fixing them. :/

update: I had to removed the email . "got busted". seems like they are not going to help. guess I better start getting ready to fix it myself. :(

after the third boat from them, two of them solid. Do not get me wrong, They are one of the top boat companies out, there boats are awesome. I just have mixed feeling, guess anyone would after spending all that, only to see this happen. I could see if I crashed the thing. I almost positive I did not hit anything under the water in that great big ocean. Going to look long and hard before I buy another one of there boats, wait It out until all the kinks are fixed.

paul