PDA

View Full Version : flexshaft and coupler question

bigcam406
08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
hey guys,just wondering what flexcable and coupler to use to replace the stock proboat ones.are the brushless and nitro flexshafts and couplers the same or are they a different diameter? the reason im asking is because i have a fastech nitro and my cable and coupler are toast(cable is slipping in coupler,cable frayed). i went on the Proboat site and all i know is that the shaft diameter is .125".ive heard good things about the cables and couplers on this site,so anyone have an idea what to get to replace the stock ones? thx

domwilson
08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Is it the end that fits in the collet? Have you tried to resolder the end? Could save you a little cash.

bigcam406
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
yes,its the end that fits in the collet.the cable is starting to fray though.

domwilson
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
If it's not too bad, you can probably apply some solder to it. then cut off the excess fray.

bigcam406
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
thx for the tip.just wondering how reliable would it be,strength wise

domwilson
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Should be pretty strong. But I don't really know how bad it's frayed. Try it and see how well it secures in the collet.

bigcam406
08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
well,thx alot,i really appreciate it.the thought of soldering it never entered my mind.its not frayed that bad,just a couple strands,i guess i can trim them off before i solder it. thx again!

domwilson
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Alot of flex cables get soldered on the ends to prevent this kind of thing. I and alot of others do the same thing. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/assemble-shaft.php

bigcam406
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
i soldered the end today and built up the diameter to the point where i couldnt pass the cable thru the tube.i then filed it down,inserted the cable thru,and tightened the collet.took it out tonite for a run,fired it up,the minute it entered the water,slipped like crazy.im thinking collet is bad.any suggestions?

domwilson
08-08-2009, 11:39 PM
With out the collet tighted, does the shaft spin freely in the tube?

bigcam406
08-09-2009, 08:15 AM
yes,the shaft will spin freely in the tube without the collet tightened.

domwilson
08-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I think I might have to agree with you on the collet being bad.

sailr
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Fastech nitro? I searched Horizon's site and only see the brushless electric version.

Are you SURE it's .125" That's only 1/8"! I can't imagine that boat having only an 1/8" shaft in it. I'll bet it's 3/16" or at least .150"

My experience is that proboat parts are very reasonable as opposed to Aquacraft's outrageous parts prices. Go to www.horizonhobby.com, search for proboat, find the fastech, then there should be a link to parts. Good luck!

hey guys,just wondering what flexcable and coupler to use to replace the stock proboat ones.are the brushless and nitro flexshafts and couplers the same or are they a different diameter? the reason im asking is because i have a fastech nitro and my cable and coupler are toast(cable is slipping in coupler,cable frayed). i went on the Proboat site and all i know is that the shaft diameter is .125".ive heard good things about the cables and couplers on this site,so anyone have an idea what to get to replace the stock ones? thx

bigcam406
08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
thx for the replies.the reason why you couldnt find the boat is because it was discontinued back in june.i have researched horizon's website and they do sell collets and flexcables for this particular boat.it is 1/8",as the same flexcable is used on 3 of proboats nitro models.the reason why im on this site is because i have read great things about the cables and couplers that this site sells,compared to the ones Proboat sells.if anyone has a recommendation,that would be appreciated.thx