PDA

View Full Version : Weekend of hard racing with my UL-1

MarkJnK
08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
My whole reason for being into RC boats is a weekend of racing that my family does at our yearly family reunion at the cottage. It started with 3 boats including my old brushless mono, and has steadily increased to 10 boats in total. The rules are loose and the stakes are high... bragging rights and a small trophy. The field now consists of 4 SV-27's, a Fine brushless mono (very fast), a Fine brushless Cat, a Traxxas Villain, a couple other nice monos, and my UL-1.

I sold my old brushless mono because it was simply eating the field alive, it was a chinese made deep V hull, with Fine turbo trans, and brushless drive. It handled like a slot car and never flipped. I got bored of the easy handling and wanted something more challenging to drive, so I parted it out and bought the UL-1 sight unseen.

I've had the boat since April, and have been chipping away at the mods in preparation for this weekend. I never even water tested it prior to this weekend! I had one practice run and then it was race time.

Here is what I did to it to prepare for this weekend:
1) Darrin's turn fin reinforcement with ply and epoxy.
2) Kintec larger fin bracket.
3) Expanding foam injection inside 90% of the hull
4) Kintec water jacket.
5) Added Kintec capacitor to ESC in addition to the stock cap.
6) Grimracer 40x52/3 sharpened copper prop.
7) Grimracer Speedgrease
8) Nylon shear bolts in fin and rudder

I left the strut and rudder set at factory spec. Loaded up some 5000mah lipos, taped her up with matching orange tape from Kintec and threw her in. A quick tap on the throttle and she popped up on plane and took off like a bat out of hell. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it is the foam injection adding weight, I don't know, but the boat was rock solid on the water. It handled like a champ, with amazing manners, and even handled the course’s inside left turn with ease, which I was sceptical about. The vids I have seen seem to indicate the boat is a bit sketchier, but mine was glued, no hop or chatter. The water had a slight chop, but the boat never blew over when running unmolested (more on this later), instead it just popped up over a wave and settled right back down. Wonderful stability. After a 6 lap race the boat was never hot, motor, esc and batts were all well below the danger zone, even though this tight course required alot of feathering of the throttle to make the inside S-turn, between the full throttle long straight-aways.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with this boat. I gave me all the speed I could handle, coupled with solid handling and great reliability.
Unfortunately, I didn’t win the series this weekend. Out of 5 races, I won 3 easily and flipped twice due to contact with other boats. Once, I ran up behind an El Lobo mono which sits very low in the water, my sponson ramped up it and over I went. My fault, and my Grimracer prop sliced off the El Lobo’s antenna flush with the hull. Kinda funny. The second flip happened when I rubbed shoulders with the Fine Design Cat and lost my nose canopy and one rear fin. To make up time I pegged it and realized that the boat is much looser on the water without the canopy and fin. It wanted to lift at full throttle, where before it would stay glued to the water. I blew over trying to catch the leader. Has anyone else experienced this when driving without the nose canopy? Maybe it acts as an air dam to provide some turbulence under the hull and prevent lift?
The winner of the weekend was an SV-27 with the roll-over cowl. That damn roll-over cowl works wonders!! It allowed him to finish each race so he won on points.
To wrap it up, thanks Grim and Aquacraft for building a boat I could have so much fun with, at such little expense. There will be 2 other racers switching to the UL-1 after this weekend. My previous Fine Design mono probably cost me $800-900 to build and wasn’t any better or more reliable than the UL-1. The UL-1, despite its shortcomings, truly is a gift to the RC boat racing community

Brushless55
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Awesome!
great to hear about your racing with the UL-1 :thumbup1:

detox
08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree ...this boat is a blast to run.

To prevent the nose piece from falling off, be sure to tape the nose piece to hatch.

Try adding more weight to front port side of hull to prevent blow over.

Raise your strut to maybe 1 1/8 so sponsons will run wetter.

Read and understand your instruction manual for proper turnfin and rudder adjustment.

Try these props GR L40X57/3, Octura m440, x442

Add two extra caps for extra insurance against esc cap failure.

MarkJnK
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree ...this boat is a blast to run.

To prevent the nose piece from falling off, be sure to tape the nose piece to hatch.

Try adding more weight to front port side of hull to prevent blow over.

Raise your strut to maybe 1 1/8 so sponsons will run wetter.

Read and understand your instruction manual for proper turnfin and rudder adjustment.

Try these props GR L40X57/3, Octura m440, x442

Add two extra caps for extra insurance against esc cap failure.

Thanks for the tips, but not really sure why you were giving some of these tips in response to my post? I only had one blow over and that was when the nose was off. The rest of the time it would go wide open on chop without any hint of blowing over. I can't imagine adding more weight than I have already with the expanding foam. And the right sponson has even more weight with the plywood and epoxy added. It sits in the water slightly lower on the right sponson.

I know the 40x57/3 is a faster top speed prop, but I chose the 40x52/3 for better all around handling and better hole shot. Our race couse requires alot of speed changes and the 40x52/3 is a better all arounder from what I understand. Top speed doesn't win these races. A combination of speed, handling and acceleration do. I've also learned that this sport is more fun when I don't push the limits of my boats (as with the 40x57/3)... then I spend more time on the water and less on the bench. The 40x52/3 is easier on the electronics.

I don't think my turn fin and rudder need adjustment, it handled spectacularly, and yes I did read the manual. :thumbup1:

Thanks again for the tips.

ncornacchi
08-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Sounded like a great day Mark! We've raced ours without the turnfins, and a few times without the nose (after hitting a bleach bottle bouy, now we use pool noodles) and the UL's do seem to get looser. Not sure if it is due to air drag or downforce....

MarkJnK
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounded like a great day Mark! We've raced ours without the turnfins, and a few times without the nose (after hitting a bleach bottle bouy, now we use pool noodles) and the UL's do seem to get looser. Not sure if it is due to air drag or downforce....

I'm really curious if others have noticed the loose handling without the canopy? Although I also lost a tail fin, I doubt this would contribute to a handling change as they seem purely decorative.

I did a test run without the canopy, it it really handled differently, I had to let off several times to keep it planted. With the canopy, it was full throttle witout any hint of lifting.

Drag Boat Bob
08-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds to me like you did ALL of your homework!

Sorry you didn't win, but it sounds like it was tremendous fun and that is what it is all about (at least for me).

I've never run mine without the cockpit so I cannot help with that, but understand how that could change the ride. Next time add more tape...

It must have looked pretty good to get 2 new prospective owners.

Good luck on the next run and let us know how it goes...

MarkJnK
08-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds to me like you did ALL of your homework!

Sorry you didn't win, but it sounds like it was tremendous fun and that is what it is all about (at least for me).

I've never run mine without the cockpit so I cannot help with that, but understand how that could change the ride. Next time add more tape...

It must have looked pretty good to get 2 new prospective owners.

Good luck on the next run and let us know how it goes...

It is a great way to keep all the men at the reunion occupied. It has become an obsession for most of us. We sit around on a big dock overlooking the lake, fridge full of cold ones, women drinking their favorite coctails and gabbing or reading junk magazines, children playing in the water, and the men are circled around the pit table (ping pong table) tweaking and tuning. We race in front of the boat house which has a huge second floor deck where we stand, so we have a high vantage point to the race, and are looking down at the boats, which makes it much easier to judge corners etc.

I gotta say, the SV with roll-over cowl is one fun boat to drive. My nephew was launching it off of sea-doo wakes without fear, it would flip and instantly right itself, and keep going. The unlimate play boat. Fast too. Pics will come as soon as someone from the weekend sends me some.

Capt. Crash
08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Very cool post :rockon2:

I've not tried mine with out the canopy yet, but am trying to get up the courage to remove my canopy and risk my on board camera mounted where the canopy goes. That may happen this weekend and if it does and it survives...you can bet I will post the footage.

Crash

no stick
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I gotta say, the SV with roll-over cowl is one fun boat to drive. My nephew was launching it off of sea-doo wakes without fear, it would flip and instantly right itself, and keep going. The unlimate play boat. Fast too. Pics will come as soon as someone from the weekend sends me some.

Is the "rollover cowl" homemade or can it be ordered thru a supplier?
:confused1:

MarkJnK
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Is the "rollover cowl" homemade or can it be ordered thru a supplier?
:confused1:

There is a guy on eBay and youtube that makes them. Type in "roll over cowl" into the search.

LuckyDuc
08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
My UL-1 gets looser and more prone to blow over with out the canopy as well.

MarkJnK
08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Some pics of the pit table... crowded.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/MarkJnK/DSC07711.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/MarkJnK/DSC07712.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/MarkJnK/DSC07713.jpg

Drag Boat Bob
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
WOW! That's enough antennas' to pull in Direct TV.

Perfect setup and location. What I wouldn't give to have an elevated view point.

Yep, I'm jealous.

Bob