PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Depression over the Recession?

domwilson
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been reading that this is the longest recession since the great depression. Alot of people are frustrated and feel helpless in the way their life is going right now. I just wanted to start a thread where people can rant. Please don't attack other members of the forum. Just discuss your thoughts.

My rant: I've been unemployed for awhile. I go to job interviews and I've been hearing alot that I'm over-qualified, too experienced, etc. Why do they even call me in for an interview to tell me that? It's a waste of my time and gas. I have other rants too.

sailr
08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
My wife was drawing unemployment...extended at that since she had been out of work for a year. She got a 'contract' job and went to one week of training for which she was paid. This ended her unemployment compensation. THEN, the employer never called her back in to work! Now she can't get unemployment anymore.

The employers like this need to be shut down! They are hurting people! These are huge corporations that now fill positions as "temps" or "contract" so they don't have to pay any benefits and can just up and terminate you at their whim. This is patently dishonest of them. At least the unemployment office should be onto their practices?

domwilson
08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
My brother-in-law was working in another state. His company paid to have my sister and family relocate to where he was. 3 weeks after the move, they had a mass lay off.
They wouldn't pay to have their things moved back. They're back here but their things are in storage in another state. Didn't they have a clue to the lay offs prior to the move?

domwilson
08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
My wife was drawing unemployment...extended at that since she had been out of work for a year. She got a 'contract' job and went to one week of training for which she was paid. This ended her unemployment compensation. THEN, the employer never called her back in to work! Now she can't get unemployment anymore.

The employers like this need to be shut down! They are hurting people! These are huge corporations that now fill positions as "temps" or "contract" so they don't have to pay any benefits and can just up and terminate you at their whim. This is patently dishonest of them. At least the unemployment office should be onto their practices?

This is very bad business. I wonder if customers knew they were treating their employees like this, would that hurt their business/reputation? This is one area that we as the consumer, have power.

Was this for an insurance company?

Flying Scotsman
08-03-2009, 11:43 AM

That is a sad story, out of curiousity, why was her unemployment compensation denied after this debacle. I am ignorant of US laws.

Douggie

domwilson
08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
It varies from state to state.

sailr
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes. Once she reported she was back at work, any further compensation was denied because she was already under the 'extended' program. We are in Florida.

That is a sad story, out of curiousity, why was her unemployment compensation denied after this debacle. I am ignorant of US laws.

Douggie

sailr
08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
No, it was for a company working on Mortgage foreclosures. I know the insurance companies and the banks are all doing the same thing. I'm about to write my congressman about these new practices. Probably won't do any good but at least I can vent.

This is very bad business. I wonder if customers knew they were treating their employees like this, would that hurt their business/reputation? This is one area that we as the consumer, have power.

Was this for an insurance company?

domwilson
08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear about this. It's a shame when companies toy with people's lives in the name of business.

sailr
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
That is horrible. Businesses today have absolutely no compassion or concern for their employees. It's all about the bottom line. Greed has taken over. Really sad.

My brother-in-law was working in another state. His company paid to have my sister and family relocate to where he was. 3 weeks after the move, they had a mass lay off.
They wouldn't pay to have their things moved back. They're back here but their things are in storage in another state. Didn't they have a clue to the lay offs prior to the move?

domwilson
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I still believe that the employees are the greatest asset to any company.

RCprince
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Douggie

That sounds like Corporate-Government racket.

Steven Vaccaro
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM

A very good friend of mine had a similar thing happen. He had an offer for a dream job in the finance industry, and a move from Boston to Chicago. A glitch in his resume stopped the move. But the HR person and him kept in touch. Last Christmas the HR person called him and said he's glad the job didn't pan out. He would have been the first in his group to be laid off.

domwilson
08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Employers and employees deserve mutual respect and loyalty. What kind of message do you think these employers are sending to the remaining employees?

Any other rants?

Flying Scotsman
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Employers and employees deserve mutual respect and loyalty. What kind of message do you think these employers are sending to the remaining employees?

Any other rants?

Dom, I think in this new economy that a new employee should demand a mutual contract on being accepted. That will shake out the bad employers. All CEO's and CFO's demand that they have a contract with a new employer. Yes, lawyers will love that suggestion.

Douggie

domwilson
08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
It's an employers market right now. Unfortunately some take it too far as if they own you.

RCprince
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

http://www.nrtw.org/images/us-map.gif

egneg
08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I live in a right to work state and at the moment employees are being raked over the coals ... but the tide will change and we have long memories.

domwilson
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I live in a "At-Will" state. Which means that the employer can terminate you at any time for any reason as long as the reason is not in violation of a protected group. Yea right!!! They can and do make up some bogus reasons. I've seen some employers advertise a requirement that you take a physical prior to employment. I thought discrimination based on a medical condition or disability was illegal.

domwilson
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
New rant: Do you think if retailers had kept their "lay-away" plans that we would still be in a credit crisis? I've noticed that some are starting to do them again.

RCprince
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Any thing beats credit cards ( pay on money you don't have to buy stuff you don't need) I tell you, Consumerism, Materialism and Religion the three evils of any advance society.

domwilson
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Any thing beats credit cards ( pay on money you don't have to buy stuff you don't need) I tell you, Consumerism, Materialism and Religion the three evils of any advance society.

I agree about consumerism, materialism. Not so much about religion. I think fanatism would probably be a better word. You can throw apathy, greed and envy in there too.
I was alway taught to save for the things you want and use credit only for emergencies and things you need if you don't have the funds readily available.
Buying just to "keep us with the Joneses" has sadly become a way of life for far to many.

Rumdog
08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree with the religion part as well!!

domwilson
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I think when people become fanatical to an extreme, about their religion, it becomes a problem.

RCprince
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Like the Project for a New American Century

domwilson
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Who? These guys... http://www.newamericancentury.org/

RCprince
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
oh yes! Religious nut jobs.

RCprince
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
the Project for a New American Century

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3776750618788792499&ei=LZ53SrGqAaWUrAKjx7SOCw&q=The+Project+for+the+New+American+Century&hl=en&dur=3&client=firefox-a

domwilson
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
So are they the ones who are saying that it is a conspiracy or are they the ones behind it?

sailr
08-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I am in at an at-will state also and have been a victim of it. In fact, they will not even give you a reason for termination so that you can not fight it in any way. Absolutely terrible.

I live in a "At-Will" state. Which means that the employer can terminate you at any time for any reason as long as the reason is not in violation of a protected group. Yea right!!! They can and do make up some bogus reasons. I've seen some employers advertise a requirement that you take a physical prior to employment. I thought discrimination based on a medical condition or disability was illegal.

bwells
08-04-2009, 12:09 AM
religious nut jobs? Religion is a core belief in a set of values and I would consider it as a SUPER SET made up of a multitude of SET's, each containing subsets, I.E religion being the Superset and say Christianity being the set and Catholic, Baptist Etc. being the subset. All forms of belief fall into the Superset of religion, even Atheism. What you believe is fine with me but don't call me a religious nut job as whatever you believe puts you in the same category. I don't want to get into a pissin' match, just my 2 cents. Live and let live, we're all beating our way through life as best we can!

domwilson
08-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I am in at an at-will state also and have been a victim of it. In fact, they will not even give you a reason for termination so that you can not fight it in any way. Absolutely terrible.

I've been a victim of it a few times myself. You're doing a good job and get awards and accomodations, then boom, you're without a job. How's that for a reward?

domwilson
08-04-2009, 12:51 AM
religious nut jobs? Religion is a core belief in a set of values and I would consider it as a SUPER SET made up of a multitude of SET's, each containing subsets, I.E religion being the Superset and say Christianity being the set and Catholic, Baptist Etc. being the subset. All forms of belief fall into the Superset of religion, even Atheism. What you believe is fine with me but don't call me a religious nut job as whatever you believe puts you in the same category. I don't want to get into a pissin' match, just my 2 cents. Live and let live, we're all beating our way through life as best we can!

Well said.

RCprince
08-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Interesting rebuttal, I stand accuse of making a blanket statement. But I'll stand behind it. There are religious psychopaths who hide in the mist of those who truly believe in what they believe in, So they can use them as political pawns. You don't believe me? never mind looking at it nationally, just take a look at your local politics. Bloodsuckers of the highest order. We claim to love whomever we see as the Creator, But weeping at the doorsteps of men everyday. Anyhow... But to our regular scheduled discussion.

domwilson
08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
I am somewhat religious. Probably more closer to being a CEO (Christmas, Easter, Only)But I am not blind. I am aware that some promote their own agendas in the name of whatever religion they claim. But then again, there are some who will promote their own agendas in the name of whatever belief or lack there of. Killing, maiming, oppression, etc. in the name of religion I feel is wrong. Forcing your beliefs on others I feel is also wrong. As Bwells stated, live and let live.

RCprince
08-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I am somewhat religious. Probably more closer to being a CEO (Christmas, Easter, Only)But I am not blind. I am aware that some promote their own agendas in the name of whatever religion they claim. But then again, there are some who will promote their own agendas in the name of whatever belief or lack there of. Killing, maiming, oppression, etc. in the name of religion I feel is wrong. Forcing your beliefs on others I feel is also wrong. As Bwells stated, live and let live.

If only the Religious Right will live and let live. Just Imaging if the "Sermon on the Mount" really ran through the veins of the majority in our government, It seems like one Big Shell game to me.

sailr
08-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Great film. I would love to write here what I really think but there are some ultra right wing nutbags on this forum who would flame me to no end. I'm not going there again.

the Project for a New American Century

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3776750618788792499&ei=LZ53SrGqAaWUrAKjx7SOCw&q=The+Project+for+the+New+American+Century&hl=en&dur=3&client=firefox-a

bwells
08-04-2009, 01:54 AM
back on topic! I think this cash for clunkers may work! It sounds like they only need one nay and there is already one senator that will do it in for the extended 2 bill. Not sure but the program was supposed to last till the end of the year and it was eaten up within a week. I hope it stimulates the economy but at who's expenses? You tease someone with this and then lock them into more debt for the price of the car seems counter productive

domwilson
08-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Go ahead. This is just a discussion.

domwilson
08-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Great film. I would love to write here what I really think but there are some ultra right wing nutbags on this forum who would flame me to no end. I'm not going there again.

Feel free to voice yourself. This is so people can rant. There is no right or wrong. Just discussion.

domwilson
08-04-2009, 02:00 AM
back on topic! I think this cash for clunkers may work! It sounds like they only need one nay and there is already one senator that will do it in for the extended 2 bill. Not sure but the program was supposed to last till the end of the year and it was eaten up within a week. I hope it stimulates the economy but at who's expenses? You tease someone with this and then lock them into more debt for the price of the car seems counter productive

Unfortunately there are people who have found ways of turning this into a scam.

domwilson
08-04-2009, 02:03 AM

Oh by the way. Got the balancer. Love it. Can't wait to use it.

Thank you, very much.

sailr
08-04-2009, 02:29 AM
One of the fear tactics of the conservatives is that people will buy the cars that can't afford them. The banks and GMAC about killed the auto industry by refusing to make loans. It hasn't eased up much either although the banks got billions in bailouts in order to make loans! The underwriting standards have tightened up. Only people with excellent credit and the ability to pay are going to qualify to buy a car so this is just another red herring by those opposed. We get something that works and it scares them to death! God forbid Obama get credit for anything!

sailr
08-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Great. Glad to hear it. It's a nice balancer. I'm giving mine a real workout. :bounce:

Oh by the way. Got the balancer. Love it. Can't wait to use it.

Thank you, very much.

domwilson
08-04-2009, 02:51 AM
One of the fear tactics of the conservatives is that people will buy the cars that can't afford them. The banks and GMAC about killed the auto industry by refusing to make loans. It hasn't eased up much either although the banks got billions in bailouts in order to make loans! The underwriting standards have tightened up. Only people with excellent credit and the ability to pay are going to qualify to buy a car so this is just another red herring by those opposed. We get something that works and it scares them to death! God forbid Obama get credit for anything!

I think both sides have alot of issues to resolve. Why is it that the same issues keep cropping up every election year? Immigration, labor, abortion, taxes, Military, Oil dependance, the economy, etc. Both sides make promises and yet these are the same issues that have plagued this country for as long as I can remember. When is somebody really going to resolve the issues rather than talk about them? I'm not on either side as I see the whole as empty as their promises.

bwells
08-04-2009, 03:04 AM
YES EXACTLY, AND IT WILL CONTINUE because we are plebes, but so be it!

domwilson
08-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Complacent.

RCprince
08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
C-Street House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3n6X_MxHa0&feature=related

domwilson
08-04-2009, 04:24 AM
C-Street House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3n6X_MxHa0&feature=related

The more I see things like this, the more I question the intelligence of some.
When are people going to wake up and think for themselves? You know who else thought like this? Reverend Ike in the 70's. People have become complacent and do not want to think for themselves. They rather have someone else do it. The reason for that is because our lives have become needlessly bogged down with the trivialities that the government, society, and the media spew out.

RCprince
08-04-2009, 04:35 AM
The more I see things like this, the more I question the intelligence of some.
When are people going to wake up and think for themselves? You know who else thought like this? Reverend Ike in the 70's. People have become complacent and do not want to think for themselves. They rather have someone else do it. The reason for that is because our lives have become needlessly bogged down with the trivialities that the government, society, and the media spew out.

Humanity is forcefully beating down, so they have no choice but to work by proxy. Until we reach that precipice in our personal survival, nothing will change. In America we live by a motto "Everyman for himself and God for us all."

Flying Scotsman
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
A Douggie rant....Afganhistan

This is not winnable. The Russians could not do it, there are just too many tribal issues and warlords. Pakistan does not help as it allows for the Taliban to seek shelter in their mountains.
Also, many people in Afganhistan support the Taliban.
Their should be negoations between the Taliban and the Afgan government and then all our lads and lassies can go home. Do not believe the generals, as this is their job and they relish the chance for glory. The Taliban will never face their enemy as a mass group.

Douggie

domwilson
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
A Douggie rant....Afganhistan

This is not winnable. The Russians could not do it, there are just too many tribal issues and warlords. Pakistan does not help as it allows for the Taliban to seek shelter in their mountains.
Also, many people in Afganhistan support the Taliban.
Their should be negoations between the Taliban and the Afgan government and then all our lads and lassies can go home. Do not believe the generals, as this is their job and they relish the chance for glory. The Taliban will never face their enemy as a mass group.

Douggie

Refresh my memory. Why are we fighting there? Are we still looking for Osama?

AndyKunz
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Their should be negoations between the Taliban and the Afgan government ...

You don't negotiate with someone whose opinion is that you are unworthy of expecting them to honor their word. These radicals believe that, not only is it OK to lie to your enemies, but you are EXPECTED to lie to them, to deceive them. Their mullahs teach them that.

The Afghan government is not anti-Western, which means that they are automatically worthy of "elimination" by whatever means. They hate anybody who cooperate(ed)(s) with the West.

England tried to pacify Hitler. All it did was make it easier for Hitler to conquer Europe. Only when it became obvious that England was on the short list did they figure it out.

Do you really think Canada will be spared if they decide to utilize the weapons that Iran has ready for them?

Andy

Rumdog
08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
HAhA....looking for Osama laugh out loud!!

Flying Scotsman
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
You don't negotiate with someone whose opinion is that you are unworthy of expecting them to honor their word. These radicals believe that, not only is it OK to lie to your enemies, but you are EXPECTED to lie to them, to deceive them. Their mullahs teach them that.

The Afghan government is not anti-Western, which means that they are automatically worthy of "elimination" by whatever means. They hate anybody who cooperate(ed)(s) with the West.

England tried to pacify Hitler. All it did was make it easier for Hitler to conquer Europe. Only when it became obvious that England was on the short list did they figure it out.

Do you really think Canada will be spared if they decide to utilize the weapons that Iran has ready for them?

Andy

Iran is another story, but the USA and allies took on Iraq for no weapons of mass destruction to be found. Canada said no and I was proud of that decision. Iran is the country that we should have had a wee war with. Andy, how are we possibly going to win in Afganhistan?

Douggie

domwilson
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Iran is another story, but the USA and allies took on Iraq for no weapons of mass destruction to be found. Canada said no and I was proud of that decision. Iran is the country that we should have had a wee war with. Andy, how are we possibly going to win in Afganhistan?

Douggie

Psychological warfare. We setup a television station with mindless programming, music videos and endless beer commercials. Then we sell them cheap beer. Then in 3 to 6 months, when they're drunk fat and stupid. We just walk in there and tell them we're filming an Military movie.:just-kidding:

saleens7
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
This recession isnt helping us kids out either...we need to get jobs or else we wont have a chance when we go off to college. Ive been living off of my parents for the most part (not to proud to say it though), and have worked odd jobs here and there....not real employment, mostly doing yardwork for people and such things.....but ive only got a little more than a year left until i have to leave for college, and i know i need to have a steady income. But ive been hesistant (partly because i have no innitiative at all >_> ) and also it just seems so hopeless finding a job around here....almost every one of my friends have tried to get a job and failed. That as well as the few businesses that are hiring are going for older people who have been laid off as they have more job experience. And i dont blame them as those people have to pay heavier bills than we do, but when our parents get sick of our freeloading and finally kick us out....:help:

domwilson
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I feel ya. Fast foods were the traditional place for teenagers to get their first job. Now even those are being taken by adults. People look for relief somehow, but just aren't finding it. I hope your parents are understanding that it is very hard to get gainful employment. Our government has let us down with dispensing funds in the wrong places and helping very little to those who truly need it. Whether we want to realize it or not, we are all on a sinking ship. It's just some are either naive or "too high and mighty" to start bailing water. While others sit on the bridge thinking the water will never reach them.

AndyKunz
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
. Iran is the country that we should have had a wee war with. Andy, how are we possibly going to win in Afganhistan?

Do you know who the real COMBATANTS are in both Iraq and Afghanistan? Pakistanis and Iraqis.

One of my friends did 3 tours (he volunteered for the second two) over there. His assessment was that the Iraqis were happy to have us around. We brought money, built schools, and removed the oppression. Most of the body bags he filled were with (his words) "@#*&$^@#*&$^@#* Persians."

The war isn't with Afghan or Iraqi people. It's just happening in their back yards.

Andy

domwilson
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Do you know who the real COMBATANTS are in both Iraq and Afghanistan? Pakistanis and Iraqis.

One of my friends did 3 tours (he volunteered for the second two) over there. His assessment was that the Iraqis were happy to have us around. We brought money, built schools, and removed the oppression. Most of the body bags he filled were with (his words) "@#*&$^@#*&$^@#* Persians."

The war isn't with Afghan or Iraqi people. It's just happening in their back yards.

Andy

Again I ask, Refresh my memory. Why are we fighting there? Are we still looking for Osama?

ozzie-crawl
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
oil

domwilson
08-05-2009, 04:22 PM
oil

Well that explains "American interests."

egneg
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Again I ask, Refresh my memory. Why are we fighting there? Are we still looking for Osama?

Because we were attacked ... don't ask me how it turned into a side show.

Flying Scotsman
08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I feel ya. Fast foods were the traditional place for teenagers to get their first job. Now even those are being taken by adults. People look for relief somehow, but just aren't finding it. I hope your parents are understanding that it is very hard to get gainful employment. Our government has let us down with dispensing funds in the wrong places and helping very little to those who truly need it. Whether we want to realize it or not, we are all on a sinking ship. It's just some are either naive or "too high and mighty" to start bailing water. While others sit on the bridge thinking the water will never reach them.

You know the funny thing now is that kids that learn a trade, electrician, plumber etc stand a much better chance of gainful empoyment than those who go to a university for a BA degree. Plus in the western
education system now allows nobody to fail.

Douggie

domwilson
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I thought we went over there to find Osama. Then it was because the taliban supported terrorists, then it was because the taliban were attacking american interests, then it was because the Taliban was invading US allies. And Iraq was because he helped the terrorists. Then it went to looking for weapons of mass destruction, then it went to preventing genocide, then it went to helping them to acheive freedom and a democratic government.

So does anyone know the reason? Or is the media confused and just reporting what ever gets ratings?

Flying Scotsman
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Iraq, because Daddy did not get the job done the first time because of Saudia Arabia and other arab oil producing countries, saying wait a minute, you want oil??
Saudia Arabia is the problem with their extreme religous point of view

Douggie

egneg
08-05-2009, 06:29 PM
This war turned into another Vietnam 7 years ago.

AndyKunz
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Because President Obama reneged on his campaign promise?

He promised "change" in the Middle East. Where is it?

Oh wait, maybe he realized that the Bush Administration wasn't quite so wrong after all?!?!...

Andy

domwilson
08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Or maybe there is another reason, that we are not privey to? This would explain the every changing cover stories.
Sounds better than, "Because they threatened my father."

ozzie-crawl
08-06-2009, 02:19 AM
the problem with 1st word leaders (presidents,prime ministers) is before they are elected they sprout all these things they want to do.
then when they get elected reality hits big when they are sat down and told what they are to do and say and act, after all they are only spokes persons and dont run the country

domwilson
08-06-2009, 11:07 AM
The governments take on the american people... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8