PDA

View Full Version : Seaking Boat ESC recalled by factory

fenalx
08-03-2009, 10:11 AM
There seems to be a recall of Seaking 120a brushless ESC. Hobbycity also informed me that their turnigy 120a boat esc is discontinued.

Did anyone hear anything?

sailr
08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, I have some of the 180A's on order and my shipment has been delayed. I do know the 180A has been recalled, not sure about the others. Something about a "short" problem. I talked to the factory yesterday. I know the owner of Hobbywing and he is a stand up guy. The Seakings have gotten pretty good reviews. I would imagine after the rework they should be even better? One can hope! "Turnigy" is just Hobbycity's relabelling of the Seaking. I don't know if the 120A has been discontinued.

M.M.
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a 120A turnigy that just blew up this weekend:doh: Just ordered a 200A HiModel:banana:

sailr
08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
:sorry:It seems we still haven't found the PERFECT esc! I know some of the manufacturers are trying. For aircraft, they have become very reliable. Unfortunately, the constant and fast changes to the load when used in boats seems to cause various problems. The speedies have come a long way in the last few months. Hopefully there are better times ahead. In the meantime I guess we just pays our money and takes our chances.:confused1:

I have a 120A turnigy that just blew up this weekend:doh: Just ordered a 200A HiModel:banana:

domwilson
08-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I know we shouldn't go beyond 70% percent of the ESC's rating. Maybe if people would follow that rule as well ESC manufacturers conservatively rating their ESC's, giving current ratings or watts under given voltages, and maybe some form of "duty cycle" for amp peaks. As we all know that the amp draws are a bit more dynamic than for cars or planes. In my long drawn out way of saying, standards. This way we can evaluate ESC's on a more level playing field.

sailr
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I guess we all need to own something like an Eagle Tree System to monitor our actual amp draws, etc. I have thought seriously about buying one just for that purpose. Most of us would probably be shocked to see the 'peak' amps we're drawing.

egneg
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I ordered a 120a turnigy 2 months ago and they never came in. I cancelled my order last week and I am now waiting for a refund to my paypal account. I was going to buy a seaking instead ... but not any time soon I guess. I wonder how long it will take. I just got an eagle tree with display, rpm, and 2 temps sensors. I haven't used it yet as I had to get some 5.5's to hook it up.

sailr
08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Turnigy is same as Seaking. I expect the same situation if you try to get one. Hope your refund works out!

I ordered a 120a turnigy 2 months ago and they never came in. I cancelled my order last week and I am now waiting for a refund to my paypal account. I was going to buy a seaking instead ... but not any time soon I guess. I wonder how long it will take. I just got an eagle tree with display, rpm, and 2 temps sensors. I haven't used it yet as I had to get some 5.5's to hook it up.

egneg
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Turnigy is same as Seaking. I expect the same situation if you try to get one. Hope your refund works out!

At the time I didn't know why Hobby City didn't get any turnigy's in 2 months and then they took them off the site so I thought I would get a Seaking from fleabay. It would have been nice if Hobby City would have informed me.

Raydee
08-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Figures, I just ordered 3 Seaking ESC's yesterday. I have been in contact with the place that I purchased them from and asked for a full refund. The company doesn't know anything about the recall, but they def seem willing to give me my money back.

Punisher 67
08-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I guess we all need to own something like an Eagle Tree System to monitor our actual amp draws, etc. I have thought seriously about buying one just for that purpose. Most of us would probably be shocked to see the 'peak' amps we're drawing.

You would be very surprised on what your peaks are and where it levels off , I use a eagletree system on all my boats

fenalx
08-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Here's an update after doing some research...

I contacted a number of sites, and it seems that Seaking retailers have been asked to halt sales of all Seaking (and Turnigy since they are the same) ESC.

The new revised version should be available within a week.

I have a 120a version on order. Will keep you posted once i receive revised version.

sailr
08-04-2009, 02:33 AM
I will have ten of the NEW 180A Seakings and program boxes in here as soon as they are released.

Apples1
08-04-2009, 04:37 AM
The will be a new Brand / type of ESC coming out of AUS very soon, i posted this info in the members info section, but it must not have been approved, Here it is again,

I know a guy who is in the final stages of completing 2 esc's and LV200amp and a HV 220 amp one.

Features: Thermal shutdown that actually works
3rd chanel Timing ajustment on the fly
Fully water proof ( thats the sticking point at the moment.
Water Cooled.
Fraction of the cost of the HYDRA

Cant say too much more they are watching me..:spy: i will try and keep you posted.

Himalaya
08-04-2009, 05:42 AM
I sent both my Seaking 180A and 120A in for repair, they've been their over a month and still not yet fixed, maybe they are making same mods to my old ESCs as the coming new revision ?

DINO7
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
my 120A seaking worked fine for two times.15 and 3 minutes.in the third time....nothing.no power to the motor.just the BEC worked...:cursing::cursing:

Brod
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
My 120 was the opposite,bec went on 4S,wired a ubec,then the whole esc died,no burn, no smell, just a dead esc..
My 180's are running fine,even after a total drowning in salt water on one ..
Brod...

sailr
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Just goes to show there is no perfect set pattern of failure of any of the esc's we are using. I hope the one mentioned in a post above about a new design coming out of Australia ends up being something more reliable.

Brod
08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I will have ten of the NEW 180A Seakings and program boxes in here as soon as they are released.

Will you be able to post some pics of the 'version2' 180's when they arrive?
Mine were bought very recent,it will be interesting to see if there is any differance..
Brod..

sailr
08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes, I will do that.

ghostofpf1
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I wonder if this applies to all the seaking esc's?? I was just going to order a 90 amp version and am leery now..
Steve

lomdel
08-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Is this Ver. 2 one possibly the new reworked version? http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Product.asp?BigClassName=Brushless System for Boat

ozzie-crawl
08-06-2009, 03:12 AM
my 120a was the same as brods, was probably pushing its limits a bit but the bec died after 90 seconds so put on a ubec and esc just died about 4-5 sec after plugging battery up. when the bec died the esc wasnt overl warm either

sailr
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
No. That is the version that was recalled. Newest one still not out yet.

Is this Ver. 2 one possibly the new reworked version? http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Product.asp?BigClassName=Brushless System for Boat

sailr
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I doubt there will be any physical change to the ones with the BUG fixed. I would imagine they are modifying what they already had. Not sure though. Will try to keep you posted. I'm waiting for a shipment of them. The bad news...my shipment hasn't come in. the good news....I'll be getting the updated ones! :rockon2:

Will you be able to post some pics of the 'version2' 180's when they arrive?
Mine were bought very recent,it will be interesting to see if there is any differance..
Brod..

Brod
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks sailr,i kinda expected no exterior change but you never know.
Seems abit of a bummer that lots of us have recently bought a 'recalled' unit.
saying that mine seem to be running ok on 4,5 and 6S AT THE MOMENT..LOL..

Wondering if we could send them back to Hobbywing for upgrade?
Brod..

sailr
08-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I really don't know. You could go to www.hobbywing.com and try sending them an e-mail. Other than that you could contact whomever you bought it from. I have a feeling that the 'bug' didn't show up in ALL of the products. It may just effect the latest production run. I would say if yours is working OK, be happy.

Thanks sailr,i kinda expected no exterior change but you never know.
Seems abit of a bummer that lots of us have recently bought a 'recalled' unit.
saying that mine seem to be running ok on 4,5 and 6S AT THE MOMENT..LOL..

Wondering if we could send them back to Hobbywing for upgrade?
Brod..

Tony
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I bought a 180 SeaKing esc (version2) on fleabay. So, is it the one w/o the "short" problem?

sailr
08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Anything you bought recently probably has the bug. In my opinion, Fleabay dealers should NOT be selling them right now because of the recall.

I bought a 180 SeaKing esc (version2) on fleabay. So, is it the one w/o the "short" problem?

sean450
08-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I purchased my 120 about a month ago. Do you think it has the Bug you were referring to?

bustitup
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Anything you bought recently probably has the bug. In my opinion, Fleabay dealers should NOT be selling them right now because of the recall.

sailr is this a problem with the low voltage shutoff?

egneg
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Hobby City hasn't had any in stock for over 2 months. I just got a refund for a turnigy120 marine that I ordered 6/2/09 that never came in.

sailr
08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't know precisely which of the Hobbywing esc's had the bug. I do know the 180's do. The recall was about 10 days ago. Any of them bought right up to now has the bug. The 'fixed' ones haven't been released yet. Your 120A may be just fine. Wish I could be more helpful.

sailr
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, bad news. I just talked to the factory. They said the problem is both software and hardware. All of the boat esc's except the 25A and 35A are effected by the recall. They are modifying existing stock but they said it would be several MONTHS before they are corrected! Maybe something was lost in the translation. I can't imagine MONTHS to do the fix! I just talked to the owner's female assistant. She didn't know the exact nature of the problem.

I have e-mailed the owner of Hobbywing, a friend of mine, to ask him just what the issue is and how long it will be. I'm going to cancel my present order and re-order later when they are ready. Sorry!

sailr
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
UPDATE! Just talked to the owner. He said maybe ONE month. That's a bit better.

Fruity
08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Sailr,
I am sure there is a lot of these out there, a lot from different retailers, are all of the retailers being made aware of the problem?

I purchased a Seaking 90A verion a couple of months back and have only just installed it, my thoughts are this should be returned before it does fry and stuff up anything else.

Cheers...Tim

sailr
08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I do know a couple of Chinese resellers are aware but not sure of everybody. I could have been stuck with a bunch of them myself except for the timing of my order!

You would have to return it where you bought it. I doubt Hobbywing is taking everything back that was already sold. Don't know. There are a lot of them out there in use and I haven't heard of many problems.

I do know the owner is a stickler for quality. Could be he was concerned enough he wants to improve them.

Tony
08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I contacted one of the dealer in HK where i bought the 180 esc, and here is their response :

"Hi, only the 90A and 120A have "short" problem. this Seaking ESC 180A not have problem. Sorry, We haven't recall on this one now." Best regards, BENSON

- e-hobby09

sailr
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
That is incorrect. I spoke with the owner of Hobbywing himself last night. It is the 90A, 120A, but the 180A is the primary one with the problem! You need to call his bluff. Tell him to call Hobbywing or he might be 'eating' a bunch of 180A's!

This is a quote from Mr. Zhang's email:

"We found some issues with the 180A boat ESC, we will replace them with new version products, but it will take some time (maybe 1 month) to solve the problem, very very sorry for the inconvenience"

sailr
08-07-2009, 01:10 PM
You can pass this info along to "Benson"

Jack Zhang
Hobbywing Technology Co.,Ltd
TEL:+86-755-25504333 EXT 83
MOBILE: 13502819026
FAX:+86-755-25509626

Tony
08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
sailr,
I forwarded Jack Zhang's info over to Benson, and he says the factory didn't even notify him about the problem with the 180 amp.... However, i can return the esc if i wanted.

Brod
08-07-2009, 04:27 PM
This has kinda got me worried now with my 3 180's.
I hope you are wrong salir..LOL..:laugh:
Brod..

sailr
08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I doubt that each and every vendor got a personal note from Hobbywing. IF the product was bought FROM Hobbywing and not another vendor, they got a notice. Benson is probably a secondary seller. They're all over China. They will all tell you they buy direct from the factory. Sometimes they will tell you they ARE the factory. Some of them will invite you to come over and visit the factory. They will call the factory and alert them that they are bringing a customer and the factory will go along with the ruse. I've seen it a million times. I have been over there. I know how they work. Remember, a $5 profit is a big deal for one of these traders. I suspect Hobby City for sure is a direct customer of Hobbywing because of the price they offer. I would tell you what I can get them for but then I'd have to kill ya! :just-kidding::lol::rofl::roflol:

sailr,
I forwarded Jack Zhang's info over to Benson, and he says the factory didn't even notify him about the problem with the 180 amp.... However, i can return the esc if i wanted.

sailr
08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
We're in the same boat. I have a brand new one in the box too. Bought it about a month ago off ebay. I can't buy direct from the factory unless I buy 50 pieces. All other dealers are required to buy 200 pieces to get the best price. I'm not trying to boast, but the owner and I are friends. The Chinese value friendship more than the business deal.

Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly. I know the owner is a very particular guy and if there is any possibility of a problem, he will eat the loss and fix it. Hopefully most of them are alright. I do suspect the newer ones will be better in some way.

This has kinda got me worried now with my 3 180's.
I hope you are wrong salir..LOL..:laugh:
Brod..

Tony
08-07-2009, 05:53 PM
OK, earlier you said the 180 was a primary one with the "short "problem. Now you're saying

Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly. i am :confused1::confused2:

I just hope my 180 held up too, so i don't have to send it back.:smile:

sailr
08-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I got different information from Jack's assistant than I did from Jack in two different emails. Please don't make me the bad guy here. I'm trying to help. Jack's the boss and I believe he knows more about what is going on.

Rumdog
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
OK, so "Benson" has his Seaking esc's on ebay listed as version 2.0. It says nowhere what 2.0 means. I wonder if he's hoping people will assume that it's the upgraded version

ozzie-crawl
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM
the seaking one i had was supposedly v2 but lasted all of 90 seconds

Brod
08-08-2009, 03:49 AM
We're in the same boat. I have a brand new one in the box too. Bought it about a month ago off ebay. I can't buy direct from the factory unless I buy 50 pieces. All other dealers are required to buy 200 pieces to get the best price. I'm not trying to boast, but the owner and I are friends. The Chinese value friendship more than the business deal.

Actually most reports of the 180A are good. One of my friends has one and it has held up perfectly. I know the owner is a very particular guy and if there is any possibility of a problem, he will eat the loss and fix it. Hopefully most of them are alright. I do suspect the newer ones will be better in some way.

Thanks for the encouraging words Sailr,i do hope you are right now:doh::doh:

So far mine work fine,'touching lots of wood'....
Brod..

sean450
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I purchased my SeaKing 120 from hiModel about a month ago. I didnt pay very much for it so it's going in the boat. If it flames, it flames. I'll just replace it with another higher quality ESC and hope for the best.

sailr
08-08-2009, 12:04 PM
V2.0 is the ones that were recalled.

Flying Scotsman
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
ESC's in boats? do the fly guys and car racers have the problems we do. I think not...I have never used them but that well known expensive German manufaturer has a pretty stellar reputation along with ETTI on the economy side.
Jim, your honest posts are truly valued
Douggie

sailr
08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Douggie,
I fly also. Yes, we flyers face the same issues. We do let the smoke out for the same reasons as boaters by overpropping, not providing enough cooling, running too many cells and the BEC at the same time, etc. But generally it is rare.

Boats subject the escs to totally different conditions. The esc must adjust instantly to heavy load vs. no load, that dreaded enemy, water, etc. ESC's work a LOT harder in boats than planes and have a lot more opportunties to smoke.

While those mega dollar German controllers are good as well as the ETTI, I have still seen them smoke. There's no such thing as a perfect esc at any price unfortunately. We just have to try to find the ones that more consistently perform well.

I can't speak for the car guys but generally their motors are geared way down so they don't present the same "shock" to the motor and esc as in boats. They also run out in the open so cooling is more efficient in my opinion.

ESC's in boats? do the fly guys and car racers have the problems we do. I think not...I have never used them but that well known expensive German manufaturer has a pretty stellar reputation along with ETTI on the economy side.
Douggie

Brod
08-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I fly helis too,had a Castle HV smoke on only 8S on connection.
Went the Kontronic Jazz route after that,still going strong on 9S after about 2 yrs,suberb escs.
Brod..

drwayne
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
The will be a new Brand / type of ESC coming out of AUS very soon, i posted this info in the members info section, but it must not have been approved, Here it is again,

I know a guy who is in the final stages of completing 2 esc's and LV200amp and a HV 220 amp one.

Features: Thermal shutdown that actually works
3rd chanel Timing ajustment on the fly
Fully water proof ( thats the sticking point at the moment.
Water Cooled.
Fraction of the cost of the HYDRA

Cant say too much more they are watching me..:spy: i will try and keep you posted.

You can run, but you cannot hide, John :eek:

Loose lips sink ships, mate.

ps it is waterproof.. idiot proofing takes longer. :laugh:

Apples1
08-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Bugger they have found me. Will have to go under ground for a while. :spy:

TRXRUSTLER
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I bought a Seaking 90a about 3 weeks ago and I am having a problem with the low voltage cut off. I wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem? When I am driving my Rigger for about 2-3mins, the LVC activates and the battery isn't even fully drained, and when I go to check the voltage it says 4.0v a cell, and I have it set to 3.0v a cell. So I have ordered a Novak Smart Stop 3-cell and hopefully that will work. I have tried to contact the seller on ebay but he won't respond to anything I ask.

Thanks, Chris

drwayne
08-09-2009, 04:57 PM
dont use auto cell count
I have the same fault with my own esc.

TRXRUSTLER
08-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't use Auto cell count I specifically set it to a 3s lipo and 3.0v a LVC, and it still cuts off at 4.0v a cell.

drwayne
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
umm
card option 2(3) for 3cells
3(3) for 3.0 ( I consider that low for a LiPo... )

havr you logged a run?
the esc will trip at 3.0v cell if the total v = 12 ( doh ! )
but underload some older/weaker/used/abused cells will decay to a lower voltage than a rested cell will display.
ergo run till trip.. and read logs.. probably shows much lower than later when pack cooled.
W

sailr
08-09-2009, 06:45 PM
If it has a 'sensitivity' setting, set it to non-sensitive.

I don't use Auto cell count I specifically set it to a 3s lipo and 3.0v a LVC, and it still cuts off at 4.0v a cell.

cacofonix
08-10-2009, 04:19 AM
hi there

one thing i don't understand, is that Hobbywing recall all faulty esc, but when looking to ebay
many are still for sale .........

does it mean that those shop sell faulty esc ???

thanks

herve

fenalx
08-10-2009, 04:27 AM
It seems that not all vendors known about the recall. I do not wish to think that some vendors know about the recall and are still selling faulty items.

I think it is HobbyWing responsibility to ensure that no faulty ESCs are sold since they are ultimately responsible for the good operation of any ESCs produced by them.

cacofonix
08-10-2009, 04:31 AM
ok, so 2 options for me
- some vendor sell faulty ecs
- others sell esc without stock

thanks fenalx

Raydee
08-10-2009, 06:40 AM
:rockon2:
hi there

one thing i don't understand, is that Hobbywing recall all faulty esc, but when looking to ebay

thanks

herve

That is exactly right. I bought three ESC's off a Ebay vendor the day before it was posted that there was a recall on them. I spent the last 7 days trying to get a refund on the controllers. The Ebay vendor was unaware that there were any problems or recalls on the controllers. Luckily for me I got my full refund this morning :rockon2:

Brod
08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Well did a few more runs on my 180 on 5S last nite,managed to time 8 mins on all batts. esc. came in very cool,no probs.
Possibly the 'fault' could just be the LVC setting? which i turn off on all my escs anyway.
Brod..

Tony
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Brod,
I am disconnecting the BEC , and run it with a seperate batt pack. Think that may work too?

sailr
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
It means they have stock on hand and are either ignoring the recall, ignorant of the recall, or don't care because they know it costs you an arm and a leg to send it back.

hi there

thanks

herve

ray schrauwen
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Here's an update after doing some research...

I contacted a number of sites, and it seems that Seaking retailers have been asked to halt sales of all Seaking (and Turnigy since they are the same) ESC.

The new revised version should be available within a week.

I have a 120a version on order. Will keep you posted once i receive revised version.

OOOH *!***!***!***!**.

I just got 2 of these and gave one to buddy. I better try to send my SeaKing back.

I just got them last week and they did say Version2 ???

No idea what I should do???

sailr
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I wish I could tell you just what the BUG is they are going to fix. I'm in touch with the factory but they didn't share the exact details with me. There are a lot of the Seaking's running with no problems. I would say if you have one, go ahead and use it. The owner of Hobbywing, the manufacturer of the Seaking, is a very meticulous guy. He wants to make only the best. If any slight problem shows up, even if it's rare, he is going to fix it! That's just the way he is.

Brod
08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Brod,
I am disconnecting the BEC , and run it with a seperate batt pack. Think that may work too?

I've run 4,5&6S with the bec and seems fine,so far.
Cant really see the point of a exterior bec,but maybe worth a try.
I've disconnected the red wire before on other escs,and gone exterior, but not the 180 Seaking one..
Brod..

cacofonix
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
hi there

i use a 180A for about 2 month on a LIZARD hull with a 6S pack (Flymax 5000)
BEC die after 2 or 3 run.

ESC is still alive, cross my fingers ......

herve

Tony
08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
So, maybe the BEC is the cause to "short" problem . I'll be using 6S2p Turnigy 5000 parrallel with this esc. Hopefully, disconnecting the BEC solves it.

sailr
08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Have any of your guys tried programming with the program box? Just curious

cacofonix
08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Have any of your guys tried programming with the program box? Just curious

hello

i use the prog box since i bought it

and i think this is why BEC died. 3th time i use prog box + BEC + external batt
don't ask me why :sarcasm1:

now BEc deliver 3v = out

herve

sailr
08-10-2009, 04:39 PM
interesting!

bustitup
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I dont think you are supposed to use any internal bec above 3s

in my opinion internal bec's suck any way.....real FE users allways use external receiver bat packs

cacofonix
08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
hummm

many friends use it on 6S with internal BEC without problem (by now ......)
most on LIZARD hull

herve

drwayne
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
External Rx battery ( disconnect the red wire) also disables the esc onboard signal loss failsafe.
Real FE ppl ?.. dont be so bloody omnipotent. Real FE ppl make their own considerations and do whatever makes their setup the best. :)
SK180 ESC BEC is great until power is fedback via the Rx lead, Have seen only one toasted.. power was off and owner started to rotate rudder left to right to left to right.. fed power back to esc and POP.
Purely organic related failure.

Wayne.

raptor347
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I killed a SK180, but I know exactly when, how and why. Rotor seized and took the ESC with it. Before that, it was flawless on 6S using the BEC and driving a very serious servo for steering.

I liked it enough to buy another one. It's going in the same outrigger with a Neu 1527/1Y and a setup that draws ~110 amps. It should be an interesting test.

bustitup
08-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I killed a SK180, but I know exactly when, how and why. Rotor seized and took the ESC with it. Before that, it was flawless on 6S using the BEC and driving a very serious servo for steering.

I liked it enough to buy another one. It's going in the same outrigger with a Neu 1527/1Y and a setup that draws ~110 amps. It should be an interesting test.

were you using the LVC?

raptor347
08-11-2009, 01:59 AM
No LVC. I like to tune the race setups by capacity used and temp. Start conservative and work your way up.

I did use the programming box on the new one I set up today. Worked like a charm. Forward only, 6 cell lipo, 3.2V cut off,7.5 degrees. It has VERY smooh throttle response and a nice start up even with the big old nasty 1527 Neu.

Testing this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

KUKIE39
08-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Greetings from Spanish FEboater:

I use two of this XXX180A for a while since the first ones appears at hobbycity and no any problem.

Used in a Matrix rigger powering a FEIGAO 540-9XL and drawing around 100Amps continuosly during 5 minutes on 5S, OF COURSE WITHOUT BEC, and I can tell you guys that no any problem found any time. Even in a race, the rigger crash against another boat and make a big hole in the hull, so the boat was under water several minutes till race finished, I got out the controller from the rigger, keep it almost an hour under sun shines while repairing the hull, mounted again and makes two runs more. I must tell you that before mount the ESC for the first time, i had filled out all joints and any posible hole with Silicone to prevent water inside.

Also used in a Hopf´s "El Diabolo" cat moving a BK Wanderer 540 size, 2212Kv with a graupner carbon/plastic 42mm prop, ALSO WITHOUT BEC, and still working perfectly.

No any problems found on any ways on the Turnigy180A ESC (Cross my fingers).

sailr
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Can you imagine....the new reworked one should be even better? Wow!

KUKIE39
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
You are right Sailr, any upgrade work on this ESC is always wellcome in my opinion they are so good as Jetti or ETTI, Schulzer, etc for a quoter of the price.

bustitup
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
No LVC. I like to tune the race setups by capacity used and temp. Start conservative and work your way up.

I did use the programming box on the new one I set up today. Worked like a charm. Forward only, 6 cell lipo, 3.2V cut off,7.5 degrees. It has VERY smooh throttle response and a nice start up even with the big old nasty 1527 Neu.

I am a little confused here....you said NO LVC but you did set the new one with 3.2 cut off?

raptor347
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I want to try it and see how/if it works.

bustitup
08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I want to try it and see how/if it works.

ok thats kind of what I thought but wanted to verify

good luck with it ....I set up my first turnigy 180 amp like that (3.2 cut off) and when I put the boat in the water it ran about half speed

hope you have better luck

ray schrauwen
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Exactly Brian, Thats what i do...

My Ebay seller has sent me this note after I asked about the recall:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your enquires. We would like to declare that the re-call is done by Hobbywing, and we were just been notified. To express our sinceress, this item can be refunded by request in brand new condition. Thank you for your kind attention.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,
plus2

Thats nice to hear. How much does it cost to send it back to Hong Kong???

Maybe just Keep it.:confused1:

Tony
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
$20 -$25 usps to HK.

ray schrauwen
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks Tony. Not too bad then. I can send back the motor also i bought that isn't usefull..

I bought a 20 x 30 5700 KV motor and picture showed a flat face but, I received a motor with the bearing sticking out.

I could Machine a plate out of Aluminum but, that defeats what i wanted, a short can motor. oh well.

I'll send it all back. Don't need the esc that bad yet...

raptor347
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I ran the SK 180 in my Q hydro this weekend. 1527/1Y Neu pulling about 90 amps average. No problem. 2.5 minute runs and the temps came back like this: Motor 102F (good cooling, ESC 104F, batts 115F. Boat runs in the 70's. running 9 second laps on the 1/8 mile course. 16 laps in 2.5 minutes. Made 2 runs (at lunch at our club race), same temps both times. ESC settings were: Forward only, 6 cells, 3.2V cutoff, 7.5 degrees.

I like this ESC.

Ctonez
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I like this ESC.

'nuff said.:thumbup1:

sailr
08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I emailed the factory today to ask when the 'bug fix' would be done. I will have Seaking 35's, 120's, 180's, and program boxes coming in when they are ready.

lomdel
08-18-2009, 01:32 AM
I emailed the factory today to ask when the 'bug fix' would be done. I will have Seaking 35's, 120's, 180's, and program boxes coming in when they are ready.

Please keep us posted...

ray schrauwen
08-18-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm keeping my SeaKing. My buddy runs the other one I bought on a 2250 lehner on 6S in a mono. He disconnected the BEC.

Tony
08-19-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm keeping my SeaKing. My buddy runs the other one I bought on a 2250 lehner on 6S in a mono. He disconnected the BEC.

I'm running my 180 on 6S w/o BEC as well.

raptor347
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm running it on 6S with the BEC driving a futaba 9156. No problem.

drwayne
08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
6S BEC 1515/Dy 1450 3Pk :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

ray schrauwen
08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
6S BEC 1515/Dy 1450 3Pk :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got the 6S bec and 1515, but the rest ????????:confused:

ray schrauwen
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm running it on 6S with the BEC driving a futaba 9156. No problem.

Odd servo, can't find them on-line.... yet...

drwayne
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
6S BEC 1515/Dy 1450 3Pk

I got the 6S bec and 1515, but the rest ????????:confused:
paint stirrer is a 1450.. Futaba 3pK

Brod
08-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Ran our cat tonite with an accidental water hose disconnected,no cooling,for a good 2.1/2mins on 5S with the Seaking 180,no damage,didnt burn,actually came back not much hotter than with water flow.:thumbup1:
Mono runs fab on 6S too,180 Seaking....
Tried some new turnigy 6S 25C lipos as well,seemed more grunt than Flightmax lipos..
Brod..

ray schrauwen
08-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Let people know if you are using BEC or not. ...please...

Brod
08-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Let people know if you are using BEC or not. ...please...

Built in Bec. on 5S,external Sbec on 6S.
Brod...

screwball
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
is their any word yet on when they will be ready??? i really want a 120

egneg
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
is their any word yet on when they will be ready??? i really want a 120

I gave up on them a month ago after waiting for 2 months. I broke down and got an Etti 150 w/cap bank.

sailr
08-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry, no word yet. I'm as frustrated as you are! I'm waiting for a reply from my email to the owner of the factory. I will have 120A and 180A and program box.

cybercrxt
08-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I sure hope they get something out soon that works. I just bought an Etti 150 race, and after 2 runs it smoked. Never had trouble out of my 180a hobbywing. Wish I didnt have to use it on another boat project. I also hope OSE will repair/ replace my Etti so I can sell it and wait for the hobbywings to come out again! Mike

Himalaya
08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Seaking 180A, internal BEC, 6S 6.8Ah LiPo, driving a Medusa 36-80-1600KV, Octura X445. Futaba R603 Rx, Futaba S9452 servo.

No problem untill once killed by some tiny drops of water. I silicone sealed all edges and gaps immediately when it came back from Hobbywing service dept. No more issues.

Tony
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
My 180 esc smoked yesterday....

lomdel
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Anyone heard any news on the release of updated 120A ESC yet?

sailr
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
No. Sorry. Pulling my hair out here!

Anyone heard any news on the release of updated 120A ESC yet?

sailr
08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Question:
I put my SK180 in my 4P mono. I can only get partial throttle even though I did the throttle travel setup. Any ideas?

Meniscus
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Send it to me, I'll take care of it!

LOL, J/K

Those plates should go out today, no later than tomorrow.

sailr
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Ben. Really, any idea about the 180A setup?

Send it to me, I'll take care of it!

LOL, J/K

Those plates should go out today, no later than tomorrow.

crabstick
08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Question:
I put my SK180 in my 4P mono. I can only get partial throttle even though I did the throttle travel setup. Any ideas?

Does it cut or just not go full throttle?

sundog
08-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I smoked my 180 last week running a 2300kv KB45l on 6s Rhino 25c 4900ma in my 28" mono jet boat. The caps overheated. Melted the 4mm bullet connectors together. The KB45 'freewheels' now - cooked the magnets. I used cooling coils, but it needed a jacket. Should have checked temps sooner (2 minutes).

Sent it back today for a replacement per RC Model Land. They said not to run it on 6s, that that would be over 28v with fresh lipos, and it's rated at 22.2v (but also says 6s in the literature).:confused2: Live and learn.
In the meantime, I bought a 150A ETTI Navy Race w/bec, from OSE and a Generic 2800kv 540xl (rated at 110A) from Hobby City to replace the KB45 electric water heater. Now I wonder if I should have gotten the external cap board.:sad:

fenalx
08-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Sundog,

I think that you were running too high a KV in a 28" mono. I think your hull is more suited to a 1900kv (9XL or equivalent), and a high voltage ESC.

I'm afraid you might cook your ETTI running a 2800kv in a 28" mono, unless you are using a very small prop, Octura X440 or smaller.

Himalaya
08-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Even running a small prop, the RPM(25V x 2800= 70,000 RPM!) will cause problems. I only dare to run 1600KV for 6S setups.

sundog
08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Sundog,

I think that you were running too high a KV in a 28" mono. I think your hull is more suited to a 1900kv (9XL or equivalent), and a high voltage ESC.

I'm afraid you might cook your ETTI running a 2800kv in a 28" mono, unless you are using a very small prop, Octura X440 or smaller.

I'm running a jet drive with a 40mm impeller and will be sticking to 3s lipos. With 30% inefficiency I should be turning 22k. Do you think the ETTI will handle that? With a cap board?

Meniscus
08-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Ben. Really, any idea about the 180A setup?

I don't have any experience with the larger amp ESC, but for my smaller one, sometimes I have to program again in order for it to take. I'm not sure why it goes back to default, but it has happened a few times. I'm guessing it's because I don't run another wire to prevent the spark when I plug in the battery.

I'd recommend programming the throttle twice in a row and see if it makes a difference. Have you tried a different transmitter? I know it shouldn't matter, but just throwing out an idea.

Punisher 67
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I smoked my 180 last week running a 2300kv KB45l on 6s Rhino 25c 4900ma in my 28" mono jet boat. The caps overheated. Melted the 4mm bullet connectors together. The KB45 'freewheels' now - cooked the magnets. I used cooling coils, but it needed a jacket. Should have checked temps sooner (2 minutes).

Sent it back today for a replacement per RC Model Land. They said not to run it on 6s, that that would be over 28v with fresh lipos, and it's rated at 22.2v (but also says 6s in the literature).:confused2: Live and learn.
In the meantime, I bought a 150A ETTI Navy Race w/bec, from OSE and a Generic 2800kv 540xl (rated at 110A) from Hobby City to replace the KB45 electric water heater. Now I wonder if I should have gotten the external cap board.:sad:

Dave a 2300KV motor would be great on 4 Cells and no more , 6 cells with that motor is way to much and you are going to smoke something the rpm is way to high for anything other than a saws boat . I have beat the piss out of a 180 on the bench but stayed within the recomended limits and it still works like a new unit , even smoked a Plett 220/50/3 in the process

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13650&d=1244749312

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13649&d=1244749312

An absolutely fully charged 6cell lipo pack is 25.2volts and should not be any more

sailr
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll give 'em a try.

I don't have any experience with the larger amp ESC, but for my smaller one, sometimes I have to program again in order for it to take. I'm not sure why it goes back to default, but it has happened a few times. I'm guessing it's because I don't run another wire to prevent the spark when I plug in the battery.

I'd recommend programming the throttle twice in a row and see if it makes a difference. Have you tried a different transmitter? I know it shouldn't matter, but just throwing out an idea.

raptor347
08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
It's likely that the magnets started to go due to heat. That increases the kV and in turn current given the same load. Which in turn leads to more heat further damaging the magnets until you finally draw too much current for the esc. It's a nasty closed loop. I've done it a couple times by mistake.

I run the SK180 on 6S in my big rigger with a 1527/1y with no problem at all.

I'd say run a smaller more efficient motor with a kV more suitable for the voltage you want to run.

sundog
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Dave a 2300KV motor would be great on 4 Cells and no more , 6 cells with that motor is way to much and you are going to smoke something the rpm is way to high for anything other than a saws boat . I have beat the piss out of a 180 on the bench but stayed within the recomended limits and it still works like a new unit , even smoked a Plett 220/50/3 in the process

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13650&d=1244749312

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13649&d=1244749312

An absolutely fully charged 6cell lipo pack is 25.2volts and should not be any more

Yes Peter, you are no doubt right. Too much voltage - things started melting (sooner that I expected). I should have used a water jacket instead of wrapping it in tubing, that would have helped, I'm sure. On 3s it was spunky, and so I tried 6s. It jumped out of the hole a foot or so (!) and after a quick run up the river, quit midstream. That motor is powerful, but very amp hungry. I think the generic 540xl will perform similarly, with much less amp draw.

Raptor: I 'rescued' it some 15 minutes later, and spit sizzled on the motor. It was hot. Real hot. I agree, a smaller (more efficient) motor should do better.

DISAR
08-29-2009, 04:24 AM

OOOOW! :eek:
Super test bench. Do you do that kind of test for other ESCs as well? Any feedback-results you can share?

sundog
08-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Peter Zicha

Let me correct that: The email reply from RC Model Land stated a fully charged 6s would be 25.8 (not 28) so would be too much voltage for the esc. My bad. Can't remember sh*t :huh: That's a spiffy test rig. I bet you can smoke 'em proper.

Punisher 67
08-29-2009, 11:59 AM
OOOOW! :eek:
Super test bench. Do you do that kind of test for other ESCs as well? Any feedback-results you can share?

I haven't tested any other ESC's with this bench but I did do a Neu 1515 vs Medusa 3680 test , surprising results

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9048&highlight=medusa+3680

cacofonix
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
hi there

hope it will help
in france we are 3 with almost same setup
Hull : LIZARD
ESC : Seaking 180A
Lipo : 6S or 2x3S (5000 25C flymax)
Motor : KD600 (outrunner from hobby city) / Feigao 12XL / ...
props : K45 / K48 / X445 / X447 / K51
my self i test :
- feigao 12XL : smoked after 4 run
- KD600 : to much rolling due to prop torque
- Hacker B50 12XL
- prop

never had a problem, esc T° never goes more than 40 °C

i use a Ubec, but other use internal bec. one of us had probably made 20 runs with this setup.

latest week end we even try a K54, not too long, but motor power was not enough.

herve

sailr
08-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Here is the latest. Got a reply from the factory. Looks like they're doing a complete re-design with new printed circuit and everything. Dang! Another month.

Hello, Jim

Good morning!

We decide to change some hardwares of the boat ESC, so it will takes longer time for making new PCB and new ESC.

We estimate that the new boat ESC will be re-marketed at 30th, Sep.

Best Regards!
Jack

sean450
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had any trouble from there 120's? I guess I got lucky cause I havn't smoked it yet. I did a bench test @ 22.2v running it behind a 90mm ducted fan turning at full throttle for 3 minutes and it was fine. ESC was not in the exhaust of the fan and was pulling 90 amps.

Himalaya
09-10-2009, 01:44 AM
for the 120A, better silicone seal it before use. Also a better water jacket having thicker pipes is recommended. I did both when it came back from the Hobbywing service dept. never fail again.

Brod
09-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Just for the record,popped one of my 3 Turnigy 180's today.
had about 12 runs so far on this one and no probs.
Connected up another pack,started ok then just died.
It must have gone short circuit,it took out 2 5S packs which were paralleled,middle cells on each pack burnt out.
No exterior damage to the Esc.
very disappointed.
Brod..

TRUCKPULL
09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Any body know when these will be available again???

Larry

Brod
10-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Fried another 180 esc today after again about 3 packs,possibly about 25runs total.no warning at all,this one went spectacular,fire and sparks LOL..
Didnt,luckily,take my 30C packs this time.What a charred mess:doh:

Think its time to go back to an Etti with extra caps i think..
Brod..

Rumdog
10-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Brod, setup? You must be pushing the limits.

Brod
10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Not really,1600KV medusa 80mm motor,6S lipo,seperate sbec.X442. 29" cat.
This gear was taken out of a 33" delta knockoff hull.which has had approx.25 runs.
racing round a mono3 course for 6mins.putting back about 3800mah,average draw therefore 38amps.
Last weeks Turnigy 180 blew on a 2000kv 80mm Medusa,5S,X442 same cat hull.
Bit of video today before the burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7l2V-zrGdw

Brod..

lomdel
10-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Any update on the re-release of the 120A ESC's?

sailr
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
The 180's are ready but we are waiting for the 120's to be released. Hopefully soon! I share your frustration! I just emailed the factory to ask for an update.

Tony
10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Good to know the 180 is ready. Will there be 200 or 240 release in the future?

sailr
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't have any info on 200 or 240. I will ask the factory.

You want HV or is LV good enough?

Tony
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
It will be for sport run 6s1p to 6s2p for speed. So, i guess 200, 240 LV will do.

sailr
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
OK, just emailed the owner and asked the question.

Himalaya
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
How does the new 180A look like? same as the original version? I have the old one in my DF cyberstorm which is performing perfectly and am planning two more for my new HPR115.

a HV 200 would be great! Hobbywing does have HV airplane ESCs so it's not likely to be a huge job converting it for marine use.

Jeff Wohlt
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
suppo makes the 200 amp 10-15S ESC as well. One layer of fets that could be easy to cool.

izzy7771
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
i am pretty sure i saw they will start shipping updated versions out oct 23. says available on october 23 anyway. 60,90,120,80HV,180 all say they are available october 23. just as winter is approacing. lol this is a great esc for the price. guess we will see in a few days. this was @ himodel.com
hope the wait is worth it. its been a long time coming now!!!!!
i dont need another one but if someone has luck with this let us know!
izzy

sailr
10-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Nope, shipping starts the 31st. I have ten 120's and ten 180's on order. Some of them are already spoken for.

izzy7771
10-22-2009, 12:16 AM
huh! well that sux. wonder whay they are saying in stock oct 23?? guess another week wont be much wait after a few months of waiting. lol i have never had any probs with mine ,i have 2.
are you going to be selling some in swap shop?? ever get any info on 200 or 240??
thanks sailr

sailr
10-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Yes, I will be selling them in the swap shop.
There are no plans for 200 or 240 at this time.

huh! well that sux. wonder whay they are saying in stock oct 23?? guess another week wont be much wait after a few months of waiting. lol i have never had any probs with mine ,i have 2.
are you going to be selling some in swap shop?? ever get any info on 200 or 240??
thanks sailr

sailr
10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
I have one of the Suppo 200HV's. Some say it's a Schulze clone. I am willing to sell the controller for $150 shipped in the U.S.

suppo makes the 200 amp 10-15S ESC as well. One layer of fets that could be easy to cool.

cacofonix
10-22-2009, 05:52 AM
not outside US ??

sailr
10-22-2009, 06:13 AM
These are the changes made to the 60A and larger Seaking esc's:

The program is changed, the built-in BEC is changed. The capacitors, FET are not changed now.

sailr
10-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Shipping will be much higher outside the U.S. So for outside the U.S. we will have a price PLUS shipping instead of a price including shipping (inside the U.S.) That is all I meant. I am not ruling out international shipping.

not outside US ??

bustitup
10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
These are the changes made to the 60A and larger Seaking esc's:

The program is changed, the built-in BEC is changed. The capacitors, FET are not changed now.

The 180amp just went back on sale V2

Got yours sailr $....how much r yours?

sailr
10-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Who has them back on sale? For what price? I suspect they are "pre-selling" anticipating receipt of the esc's around the end of the month. BTW, V2 is the version that was recalled, NOT the latest.

There is some confusion with the factory right now concerning my cost. Seems they raised it a LOT so I may cancel my order. I think it will be straigtened out when the owner returns to China from Chicago trip. So I'm not quoting a price just yet.

bustitup
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
A while back when I was at himodel I asked to be notified when the 180 came back in stock well I got notified by email that they where back in stock for $92

Who has them back on sale? For what price? I suspect they are "pre-selling" anticipating receipt of the esc's around the end of the month. BTW, V2 is the version that was recalled, NOT the latest.

There is some confusion with the factory right now concerning my cost. Seems they raised it a LOT so I may cancel my order. I think it will be straigtened out when the owner returns to China from Chicago trip. So I'm not quoting a price just yet.

rockwerks
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM

Yep I got an email stating the 180a LV is back in stock at himodel 93.31

http://www.himodel.com/electric/Seaking-180A_2-6S_Brushless_ESC_W_Water_cooling_for_Boat_V2.html

Brod
10-25-2009, 08:13 AM
A pal just got email notification the V2 are in stock too.
They look just the same as the old version?
My 180 is still going strong on 4S..
I think we will wait for test reports first before we buy any of the new versions.:confused2:
Brod...

Jeff Wohlt
10-25-2009, 11:36 AM
After every one that sold these I can only think these have to be the new versions...they would not restcok the old versions. It is only a program change and some small stuff so I tend to think these are it. No number change or anything like that

bustitup
10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
After every one that sold these I can only think these have to be the new versions...they would not restcok the old versions. It is only a program change and some small stuff so I tend to think these are it. No number change or anything like that

I agree Jeff
Himodel is a reputable vendor I don't think they would knowingly put a known issue back out on the market

Jeff Wohlt
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
This one will set the std for all cheap ESCs...and posiibly do even better against even the bigger names. Also more of HV are also coming out that will be cheaper.

THis stuff will continue to get better ...motors included....and prices will fall.

But, you cook them you can pitch them. Etti has proven great service for me and dealers. I suspect they might have a 200+ amp LV in the works but can't confirm that.

ray schrauwen
10-25-2009, 11:59 AM
There is a non-water cooled new 200 amp HV esc on HobbyCity for $189 (-) customer discount.

Looks neat.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10332#

bustitup
10-25-2009, 12:41 PM
there is a non-water cooled new 200 amp hv esc on hobbycity for $189 (-) customer discount.

Looks neat.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10332#

wow...awesome!!!

bustitup
10-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Iit looks easy to water cool

bustitup
10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
There is a non-water cooled new 200 amp HV esc on HobbyCity for $189 (-) customer discount.

Looks neat.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10332#

I wonder why it doesnt say HV..or am I missing something?

rockwerks
10-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder why it doesnt say HV..or am I missing something?

Why does it have to say HV? who gives a care as long as it is

ray schrauwen
10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Right!

bustitup
10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
What makes an esc lv or hv? The amount of lipo it will handle?

My point was if its not marked HV than is it considered high voltage?

Jeff Wohlt
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
That is all it is...that one says 4-12S so that makes it a HV. Amp is the same at 200.

I think it is jus the fact that most are 2-6S and a few 8S (himodel)

rockwerks
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
What makes an esc lv or hv? The amount of lipo it will handle?

My point was if its not marked HV than is it considered high voltage?

so you buy stuff by how it is marked rather than reading the specs? Yes HV = high voltage LV = low voltage. always read the specs, if they dont list the specs dont buy!

bustitup
10-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Why are you so condensending in your answers?........my observation of an esc that is not marked Hv. That IS hv. Is warranted. Being the first one I have ever seen

so you buy stuff by how it is marked rather than reading the specs? Yes HV = high voltage LV = low voltage. always read the specs, if they dont list the specs dont buy!

Jeff Wohlt
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
So run it on 10 and 12S and don't call it HV...:bounce:

Castles are 12S max and they call them HV. Where is theh difference? It is only volts and amps you are talking here. No magic no extra HV secret part...it is the way they are designed.

sailr
10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
New 120A and 180A Seakings are on the way. Should have them in about a week. My cost went up...naturally! Grrr.
My price will be:

180A including program box, $120 shipped and insured in the USA.
120A including program box. $100 shipped and insured in the USA.
Outside the USA, please PM me and I'll get you a final cost.
If you have previously asked to be put on a waiting list, PLEASE PM me again! I lost the waiting list! DOH!

Mel279
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
New 120A and 180A Seakings are on the way. Should have them in about a week. My cost went up...naturally! Grrr.
My price will be:

180A including program box, $120 shipped and insured in the USA.
120A including program box. $100 shipped and insured in the USA.
Outside the USA, please PM me and I'll get you a final cost.
If you have previously asked to be put on a waiting list, PLEASE PM me again! I lost the waiting list! DOH!

Could u give detail on what are the things they fix on this new improve esc?

sailr
10-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Made some changes to the PCB and BEC. That's all I know.

Tony
10-30-2009, 01:36 AM
180 esc back on sale at HobbyKing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937

ray schrauwen
10-30-2009, 01:51 AM
You're up too are you? lol... saw that.

Jeff Wohlt
10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Several seller I see have them in stock. I did see Hobby City was alrady out of stock but maybe timing was an issue.

sailr
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm amazed that they kept the price the same as there was about a 10% wholesale price increase!

Mine should be here in a few days.

180 esc back on sale at HobbyKing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937

ray schrauwen
10-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Several seller I see have them in stock. I did see Hobby City was alrady out of stock but maybe timing was an issue.

Still about 97 left...

sailr
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Mine are on their way. Had to wait for the owner of the company to get back to China from Chicago to clear up an attempt by his employee to overcharge me! All is well now. Should have them in a week or so.

WITH LED Program Box, shipped and insured:
120A $100
180A $115

They cost me $7 ea for shipping from China.

I have a waiting list if anyone wants to get on it. Already quite a few sold. I only have a small quantity coming in. They will go fast!

Anbjorn
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Sailr,

Would you mind putting me on the list for 2 180A with programming box?
Thanks
Anbjørn

bustitup
10-30-2009, 07:52 PM
S
Mine are on their way. Had to wait for the owner of the company to get back to China from Chicago to clear up an attempt by his employee to overcharge me! All is well now. Should have them in a week or so.

WITH LED Program Box, shipped and insured:
120A $100
180A $115

They cost me $7 ea for shipping from China.

I have a waiting list if anyone wants to get on it. Already quite a few sold. I only have a small quantity coming in. They will go fast!

Sail put me down for one

egneg
11-04-2009, 05:34 AM
I received an email that hobby city has the 120 turnigy's in stock.

sailr
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
which one? 120 or 180?

S

Sail put me down for one

sailr
11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I have put you on the list!

Hi Sailr,

Would you mind putting me on the list for 2 180A with programming box?
Thanks
Anbjørn

sailr
11-04-2009, 10:02 AM
If all on the waiting list follow through, I only have 3 180A's and 4 120A's left!

sailr
11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Only TWO 180's and four 120's left if everyone on the waiting list follows through.

If you are not in the U.S. I will need for you to add $20 for international shipping. That is total, not each.

bustitup
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
which one? 120 or 180?

sorry 180

sailr
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Gotcha! You're on the list!

sorry 180

Lasse Baardseth
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I just bougth a Seaking 180A (new versjon)

Is it waterproof or do i have to put some silicone somewere?

Tony
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
The esc is water proofed, but it may need epoxy around the plastic casing.

tomstoys2
11-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Sailr,
Are you down to 1 - 180A left?
I'm going to need 2 for a twin cat build.

Himalaya
11-05-2009, 09:19 PM
The esc is water proofed, but it may need epoxy around the plastic casing.

Absolutely. My first 180A went back to factory because of my laziness. I silicone sealed the 2nd one to all joint gaps between body/heatsink/PCB and never had a problem again.

sailr
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
There are two 180's left. Do you want to be put on the list for them?

Sailr,
Are you down to 1 - 180A left?
I'm going to need 2 for a twin cat build.

sailr
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
One of the improvements to the 3sc's is two DC-DC regulator chips in the throttle channel cabe to protect the switching mode builtin BEC.

Mel279
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
One of the improvements to the 3sc's is two DC-DC regulator chips in the throttle channel cabe to protect the switching mode builtin BEC.

with this improvement, is it ok tu use 6s lipo without removing the red wire and use separate ubec?

sailr
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I have no idea. Need to read the instructions when the controllers arrive.

with this improvement, is it ok tu use 6s lipo without removing the red wire and use separate ubec?

Jeff Wohlt
11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Pretty sure the BEC is good for the full cell count of the ESC rating.

Will it cause issues...depends on how well it is designed.

Lasse Baardseth
11-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I just tested my so called new upgraded seaking 180A from Himodel today on 6s using the built inn BEC.

The BEC stopped working after 10 seconds:ThumbsDown01:

The guy from Himodel promissed me this was the new and better version but i cant see any DC-DC regulator chips?

How can i tell if this is the new version?

Rumdog
11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Check the pic a few posts back. It is in the rx wire. Also I would never use an esc's internal bec on 6s. get a rx pack or ubec

bustitup
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Best advise going.......always an rx pack for me

Check the pic a few posts back. It is in the rx wire. Also I would never use an esc's internal bec on 6s. get a rx pack or ubec

ray schrauwen
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm never using an internal BEC again. Just fry, fry.

Himalaya
11-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Not sure why Hobbywing had this idea up in their mind. To me this makes it look more fragile as the external DC-DC can be more easily damaged for it's more exposed to water, can be silicone sealed tho.

Perhaps I was having good luck? never had a problem with the internal BEC, 6S always.:thumbup:

bustitup
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Gotcha! You're on the list!

sailr please remove me from the list......I made some other investments and it looks like you have plenty of interest in these so you will have no problem selling it

sailr
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
OK Bustit. No problem. Thanks.

ESC's should arrive today.

As of now, there are TWO (2) 180A's left and FOUR (4) 120's that are not spoken for. As soon as I post these are in I suspect the remaining to be gone pretty quickly so if you want on the list, PM me now!

sailr please remove me from the list......I made some other investments and it looks like you have plenty of interest in these so you will have no problem selling it

sailr
11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
If there is not a shrink wrapped circuit in the throttle lead, then it is NOT the new upgraded model. This is a filter to protect the internal BEC. Sounds like Himodel sent you a 'ringer'

I just tested my so called new upgraded seaking 180A from Himodel today on 6s using the built inn BEC.

The BEC stopped working after 10 seconds:ThumbsDown01:

The guy from Himodel promissed me this was the new and better version but i cant see any DC-DC regulator chips?

How can i tell if this is the new version?

Lasse Baardseth
11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Talked to Himodel today and they said:

Hi,
Firstly, we are sorry to hear that, but I would like to clarify one thing, that is we never do things like send old version as new version to customers.

We returned all the old ones to factory, and after nearly half a year, receive new supply from factory for those ESCs.

Reported to factory, they claim did not receive similar report from other customers so far, they take this very seriously as well, and want you to send it back for analyzing, also they want you to provide the following details:
Detail of motor: like KV, type etc.
Battery detail: voltage, discharge rate, capacity etc.

So as they can look into it further and see what might be the problem.

At this stage, I suggest to refund the cost of the ESC to you, you can re-order this ESC after some time till there are enough feedbacks from other customers to make sure the new ESCs are really reliable.

We can pay the returning cost of this ESC,
When returning, please:
a. use postal standard air mail for shipping, which is also the cheapest way.
b. declare a value no higher than $20USD, to avoid customs problem.
c. Put a piece of paper inside the packing, and mention this ticket ID.
Our postal address http://www.himodel.com/en/help/help.php?question=49
*!***!***!***!** Sincerely Yours,
The HiModel Team

:confused1::confused1::confused1:

DISAR
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Very good reply, surprised. Unfortunately Chinese ESCs keep letting people down

sailr
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Look at my post above with a picture of the NEW 180A esc. If Lasse's new 180 doesn't have that filter circuit in the lead, then it is NOT the new one. He needs to take a picture of his that failed and copy the picture of the new one I have provided and tell Himodel about it. Himodel's offer to pay return shipping is unheard of! I've dealt with China for many years and never found anyone that good! That is commendable but SOMEHOW, if the 'upgraded' one doesn't have the circuit, somebody in the chain messed up.

sailr
11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Confusion reigns supreme! Grrrr. I just received my shipment of the new controllers and the 180A does NOT have the inline filter in the throttle cable like the picture! The 120's DO have it. I'm going to contact the manufacturer to ask the questions! I know for sure what I have are the updated controllers but not sure why he told me about the filter when it doesn't have it. Could be that they did something different in the software to take care of the problem after they produced SOME of the controllers with the filter. Go figure, eh! I'll be contacting those of you on the waiting list so I can get your controllers shipped off to you.

cybercrxt
11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Weird, Jim, Make sure you hold 2 for me if you still have them. I know you have me for one, but I saw someone removed themselves from the list! Mike

Also, clear your PM box!

sailr
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, just received the shipment and the 180's do NOT have the filter! I have emailed the factory to ask 'em wassup? totally CORNFUSED now! I know what I have is the latest and greatest but WITHOUT that filter!

sailr
11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Yep, you're on there for two Mike.

Weird, Jim, Make sure you hold 2 for me if you still have them. I know you have me for one, but I saw someone removed themselves from the list! Mike

Also, clear your PM box!

Lasse Baardseth
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Does the 180 have plastic wrapping around the 3 condensators? Mine does not?
Edit: Now that i took a closer look mine also have the plastic around? Sorry!

It also has a ferrit ring om the wire to the reciver.

sailr
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
OK guys, I only have ONE 180 left!

sailr
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes it does.

Does the 180 have plastic wrapping around the 3 condensators? Mine does not?

sailr
11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I have PM'd or emailed everyone on the waiting list. Please send your payment ASAP. There is a lot of demand and my price is very fair. I am setting a deadline of Nov 21'st for you to pay for your items. After that, I will take you off the current list and offer the item(s) to someone else. Fair enough?

Thanks Guys!
Jim

properchopper
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Paypal sent.

Lasse Baardseth
11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Can we trust the 180a ESC from Hobbywing?

Now that the BEC broke down in under 10 seconds on the new and inprowed esc, i lost the faith in this product.

Can i use the ESC with Ubec and be happy?

Or should i return it and buy an ETTI?

Rumdog
11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
You should NOT use the internal bec on 6s,.....on ANY esc!

Lasse Baardseth
11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I cant find that information in the instruction manual?

If the ESC cant handle BEC combined with 6s, there should be a warning.

sailr
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Got it! Thanks. Will ship your esc in the morning.

Jim

Paypal sent.

sailr
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
The reason the 180A esc doesn't have the filter in the throttle lead is because there was room inside the case on the 180 to put it in there. It is only on the throttle lead on the 120's.

Rumdog
11-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I plan to push this esc pretty hard. I will use it in a 34" sprintcat with a Feigao 580L on 5s2p. Hopefully it will be up to the task. I will report on how it goes. As far as the bec on 6s, it's kind of an unwritten rule that anything over 4s you should run a rx pack or ubec. I agree that esc manufacturers should state this. Maybe someone who knows more about why this is could chime in. I know it has something to do with ripple current.

Jeff Wohlt
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
yep...far fewer issues if you just run a rx pack when over 4S. I prefer no bec anyway.

onegreenray
11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
how do you remove the bec? i have no problems with running a rx pack.

ray schrauwen
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
how do you remove the bec? i have no problems with running a rx pack.

Just remove the red wire from the 3 wire harness going to your Rx and tape it back, then the BEC is disabled. You could cut it too but, the first method can be reversed.

You can't actually physically remove it.

sailr
11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
The way I prefer to do it is to add a short servo extension and disable the red wire there rather than the lead on the ESC. That way, if you want to go back to using the BEC, just remove the extension!

ray schrauwen
11-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I've got to get some 4" extensions.

egneg
11-15-2010, 04:34 AM
It's easy enough to remove the pin to the connector. Use a small screwdriver to lift the tab and pull it out. Then you just pop back in if you want.

scoota
11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Been running seaking 180/v2 on 6s with a 4082 in a DF33 for a few months now , one problem i had from new, the LVC was cutting in way to early when set @ 3.2volts , i was only using 1000 mah,( if that) out of 5000 packs before it would cut in , had to set the LVC @ 2.8 volts to stop it cutting out to early now it cuts in with about 1000 mah left in the packs ... apart from that its ran well , pulling some big AMPs

carlcisneros
04-04-2011, 11:53 AM
sailr;
what ever happened to the suppo 200a hv esc's?

sailr
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I still have one of the BIG suppo 200HV's I'd sell for $120 shipped. Other than that, I never had any.

carlcisneros
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
quick question, how did they work?

(before making up my mind.)

ray schrauwen
04-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I still have one of the BIG suppo 200HV's I'd sell for $120 shipped. Other than that, I never had any.

Nice deal!:rockon2:

WINDBUSTER
04-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Been running seaking 180/v2 on 6s with a 4082 in a DF33 for a few months now , one problem i had from new, the LVC was cutting in way to early when set @ 3.2volts , i was only using 1000 mah,( if that) out of 5000 packs before it would cut in , had to set the LVC @ 2.8 volts to stop it cutting out to early now it cuts in with about 1000 mah left in the packs ... apart from that its ran well , pulling some big AMPs

I been wondering why mine was cutting out seaking 180/v2 on 5s with 4074 in the jesse james (80s aeromarine cat 21) 440/3 blades.Though it was heat related.I took temp.reading after 2 min. run at 98*-102* at the caps or esc body.battery at 100*- 109* and still have more power at the battery leads.Will reprogram the esc to a lower setting and try it this weekend.First at 3.0v and then at 2.8v.Will take battery voltage reading to see where its at when it cuts in.Thanks from you guys for the info.