PDA

View Full Version : new lipos

scoota
07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
guys , these hyperion lipos are worth looking at , can be charged @ 5c good value & gobbs of power @ 35c ,oh you will get 4x more charges out of them compared to any other lipo on the market if looked after, lets hope they fit in my UL-1 when it gets here. cause i was reading the battery lenght has to be under 155mm & there 156mm not including the leads

Shooter
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
These are working very well for me so far. I'm running the 5500mah packs. They are definitely longer than a standard pack and are snug (but not tight) between the motor rail and the hull. As long as you line up your wire leads on the inside (closest to the motor), you can avoid over-bending wires, etc.....

scoota
07-28-2009, 09:52 AM
These are working very well for me so far. I'm running the 5500mah packs. They are definitely longer than a standard pack and are snug (but not tight) between the motor rail and the hull. As long as you line up your wire leads on the inside (closest to the motor), you can avoid over-bending wires, etc.....

What do the 5500 packs measure ?

Cheers jason..

Bill-SOCAL
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
charged @ 5c 12-15 minutes to recharge down at the lake

That's a 6.5 amp hour pack. A 5C charge rate is 32.5 amps. Do you have a chrager than can charge at that rate??

I can only do 10 amps with my Hyperion DUOs. Even the new one (DUO3) can only do 15 amps. So that is a 1.5C to 2.3C rate.You'll be amazed at how little time difference there is between those two rates.

scoota
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I guess it depends on how bigger lipo your trying to charge, a 5000 pack would charge @ 3c better than waiting for it to charge at 1c if you ask me !! & i wouldnt charge them at 5c if you want long life out of them , i was just stating they can be charged @ 5c without killing them!!!! So at the presant you could only charge a 3000 pack @ 5c with the DUO3 . but how long till somebody brings out a better charger ???

Eggy
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Or charge a 4000mah @ 5C with the Eos 0720i Net3, with one 20A port.

Fluid
07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
...can be charged @ 5c 12-15 minutes to recharge down at the lake....a 5000 pack would charge @ 3c better than waiting for it to charge at 1c if you ask me !!
We'd ask you, but you clearly don't have a clue. ;) No disrespect intended, but like Bill stated if you expect half the charging time when charging at twice the amps, you'll be saddly mistaken. I know that the difference between 1C and 2C isn't much at all, not worth buying all-new packs just so I'd have more run time at the pond.

The problem here is the low charge rate of the charger's final peaking program; that portion of the charge is very long. Since it is so important not to exceed 4.2 volts per cell, I don't see this changing much until cell technology allows some leeway in acceptable maximum cell voltage. Otherwise I guess you could skip the peaking function and run with packs that aren't fully charged.....

It will be interesting to see how these cells actually perform under load. It is very easy to print a label saying 35C or 40C discharge rate, but as we know too well many times there are not even close to the cells' real-world performance. With Hyperion's rep I'd assume these are close to real numbers - but I've been fooled before.

Shooter
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I monitor the voltage of each cell during the charge and agree with Fluid completely. Most of the charge time is the very end where the cell sits at say "4.18V" for about 30 minutes or so....

As for the length of the 5500's, they measure 6.25". Here is a photo of them in the UL-1. Got a great deal on these (I think I paid around $65 a pc). They fit perfectly, just have to make sure the leads are on the inside (closest to the motor) to prevent kinking, etc... Kinking kills copper wire!

As for performance, I haven't had a chance to compare apples to apples with another boat running the same set-up, but can definitely say they're not dogs!

scoota
07-28-2009, 11:55 PM
clearly i have no clue fluid & only was stating the claims of hyperion, so shoot me for being wrong!!!!, but i will say with some testing on charging & balancing one 7.4 lipo at a time them & then hooking them up to 14.8 if you have a balancing Y harness made up you will find the 4 cells are not balanced every time when testing .so i charge the two 7.4 batt hooked up as a 14.8 v pair with a balancing Y harness to get true balancing between the 2 packs you run in your boat , unless you have a new hyperion charger with twin balancing ports then your problem is solved . i share this info because it will extend the life of your packs & better performance ... Oh if you do make a balancing Y harness the resistance of the harness has to be equal a must !!!!

Brushless55
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
That's a 6.5 amp hour pack. A 5C charge rate is 32.5 amps. Do you have a chrager than can charge at that rate??

I can only do 10 amps with my Hyperion DUOs. Even the new one (DUO3) can only do 15 amps. So that is a 1.5C to 2.3C rate.You'll be amazed at how little time difference there is between those two rates.

Good point man!
some people have run out to buy new batteries so they can charge them faster only to realize now they need a new and expensive charger to keep up.. :doh:

Bill-SOCAL
07-29-2009, 03:16 AM
And right now there are not too may chargers to choose from that can do much more than 15 to 20 amps.

For instance, the DUO3 can do 15 amps, but is still limited to 180 watts per side. So at 15 amps the biggest pack it can really do is a 3S. SO you could charge two 3S 3,000 packs at 5C, but you will not see the charge happen in 20% of the 1C time.

For a 5S pack you max out at about 8 amps on a DUO regardless of the model. So to do a 5S pack at 5C it would have to be 1600 mAh pack. A 5,000 mAh pack would charge at no better than 1.6C which really makes no real difference in the total charge time.

Bottom line for me is these high charge rate claims do not mean very much in the real world, but they sure do seem to sell packs.

scoota
07-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Good point man!
some people have run out to buy new batteries so they can charge them faster only to realize now they need a new and expensive charger to keep up.. :doh:

if you do your reserch before you spent your money on new lipos you find that your 5-6 amp standard charger would not do the job, for me it was not the charge rate , but more the mah rating ,c rating, value for money & the testing of these cells i have seen, a friend set a new speed record on the weekend running these cells

Brushless55
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
And right now there are not too may chargers to choose from that can do much more than 15 to 20 amps.

For instance, the DUO3 can do 15 amps, but is still limited to 180 watts per side. So at 15 amps the biggest pack it can really do is a 3S. SO you could charge two 3S 3,000 packs at 5C, but you will not see the charge happen in 20% of the 1C time.

For a 5S pack you max out at about 8 amps on a DUO regardless of the model. So to do a 5S pack at 5C it would have to be 1600 mAh pack. A 5,000 mAh pack would charge at no better than 1.6C which really makes no real difference in the total charge time.

Bottom line for me is these high charge rate claims do not mean very much in the real world, but they sure do seem to sell packs.

I agree.. :thumbup1:

scoota
08-01-2009, 12:38 AM
i might of been wrong in stating these lipos charge in 15 minutes , but what cracks me me up is nobody has said how long they would take to charge @ 5c ,only that there is not much time difference between 1c & 2c ! so if anyone has charged some smaller packs at 5c it would be interesting to know the time they charged in ?

Brushless55
08-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by scoota
charged @ 5c 12-15 minutes to recharge down at the lake

Funny?
your the one who told us how fast you can charge your 5c batteries! 12-15mins
you did an edit Last edited by scoota; 07-29-2009 at 04:41 AM. on your original post...

:rofl:

Rumdog
08-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Laugh Out Loud!!!:rofl:

Bill-SOCAL
08-01-2009, 01:40 AM
i might of been wrong in stating these lipos charge in 15 minutes , but what cracks me me up is nobody has said how long they would take to charge @ 5c ,only that there is not much time difference between 1c & 2c ! so if anyone has charged some smaller packs at 5c it would be interesting to know the time they charged in ?

I want to know what charger you have that is capable of the 33 amp charge rate and 550 watt power rating to charge that 4S 6.5 amp-hour pack of yours.

About the best you can do with most chargers is 20 amps, which would be about 3C for your packs.

scoota
08-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Bill read my post again !! i said has anyone charged some smaller mah 5c charge rated packs @ 5C & how long did they take? I know there is not a charger on the market to charge 6500 mah packs @5c ......

scoota
08-01-2009, 02:14 AM
you guys need to read stuff better i didnt say i charged my 6500 packs in 15 minutes .. i just quoted what hyperions charging times were & i edited my post so i wouldnt miss lead anyone into buying these packs !!!! you guy are way to serious unlike us Aussies LOL

Bill-SOCAL
08-01-2009, 02:23 AM
OK, I was confused and missed your edited post. Sorry.

So what charger are you using and what kind of charge times are you seeing at your maximum charge rate??

scoota
08-01-2009, 02:36 AM
I have just got the new hyperion 180 w 15amp charger the other day & like you said there is not a lot of time saved from charging @ 2.5c still taking 40 to 50 minutes

scoota
08-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Clearly everyone thought i was saying i charged my 6500 mah packs down at the lake thats not the CASE ! I was just quoting what i read on the hyperion Australia web site guys it states that the new G3 lipos can be charged in 12-15 minutes & i dont think they ment the 6500 packs seeing there is not a charger big enough to do them @5c ...

This is getting OLD can we start a new topic/ post. lol

Bill-SOCAL
08-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I have just got the new hyperion 180 w 15amp charger the other day & like you said there is not a lot of time saved from charging @ 2.5c still taking 40 to 50 minutes

Got it. It is sort of amazing isn't it?

Raydee
08-01-2009, 09:34 AM
guys , these hyperion lipos are worth looking at , can be charged @ 5c good value & gobbs of power @ 35c ,oh you will get 4x more charges out of them compared to any other lipo on the market if looked after, lets hope they fit in my UL-1 when it gets here. cause i was reading the battery lenght has to be under 155mm & there 156mm not including the leads

I was one of the guys that believed all the hype on the G3 cells and have been nothing but happy since. These packs BLEW away every other pack that I have owned. Forget about the 5c charge rate, that wasn't even a selling point for me. The selling point was the amazing amount of power these cells were putting out while still staying cool in the process. I now have 12 of these packs and they are awesome to say the least. I will post back when I have over a 100 cycles on them, most of my TP, FP and poly RC packs didn't do very well past 30 cycles last season.

I have to say I didn't realize that Hyperion had 6500mah packs out, might have to give a couple a try next ;)

Doug Smock
08-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I was one of the guys that believed all the hype on the G3 cells and have been nothing but happy since. These packs BLEW away every other pack that I have owned. Forget about the 5c charge rate, that wasn't even a selling point for me. The selling point was the amazing amount of power these cells were putting out while still staying cool in the process.

:thumbup::cool::biggrin:

I don't care about the charge rate either, I still charge at 1c. They deliver and they are just cool;) cells. I think the secret is in the blue heat shrink.:laugh:

planezero
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Where did you get the G3 VX6500 mah ? I dont see them on rclipos.com.
Do these new generation benefit from preheating like the old generation ?
Or would it even be detrimental to the battery life ?

Raydee
08-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Steven Hill here on the boards can get them. Allerc also has them. I can imagine that these cells can and should be preheated if you run in a colder climate.

Brushless55
08-02-2009, 12:19 AM
you guys need to read stuff better i didnt say i charged my 6500 packs in 15 minutes .. i just quoted what hyperions charging times were & i edited my post so i wouldnt miss lead anyone into buying these packs !!!! you guy are way to serious unlike us Aussies LOL

Sooooo, what pack did you charge in 12-15mins?
any lipo pack charged at a 5c rating will charge in the same time... 1500mah pack to a 6500mah pack and bigger :doh:

Stealth Assassin
08-02-2009, 09:17 AM
What esc are you using with these packs? Is that like 192.5 amps with those packs or Is my math wrong??? 5.5 x 35?

I monitor the voltage of each cell during the charge and agree with Fluid completely. Most of the charge time is the very end where the cell sits at say "4.18V" for about 30 minutes or so....

As for the length of the 5500's, they measure 6.25". Here is a photo of them in the UL-1. Got a great deal on these (I think I paid around $65 a pc). They fit perfectly, just have to make sure the leads are on the inside (closest to the motor) to prevent kinking, etc... Kinking kills copper wire!

As for performance, I haven't had a chance to compare apples to apples with another boat running the same set-up, but can definitely say they're not dogs!

Raydee
08-02-2009, 09:23 AM
The only thing I noticed on the G3 packs is that they seem to have shorter run times compared to my other packs. I guess because they have so much more punch and power compared to some other cells that they tend to drain a little faster in the process. Def a trade off that I don't mind though.

scoota
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
just to clear up the charging times ,on a hyperion 720i charger it took 21 minutes to fully charge a G3 2s 6500 mah pack @20 amps

Brushless55
08-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Realy not sure what that says?
How many Mah did you put back into the pack at the 21mins?

line6
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Realy not sure what that says?
How many Mah did you put back into the pack at the 21mins?

True. And also a little hard to believe considering it takes about that long to charge once the charger starts to drop the charging rate

Brushless55
08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
so whats up with these hi c charge rated batteries?