PDA

View Full Version : Best Batt Charger?

10 Ring
07-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I have a MRC 969. It is not working out.

I have read what I can but I ask what is the best charger?

I want to charge 2 batteries simultaneously and preferably discharge 2 batteries simultaneously.

Is there a charger that charges 4 batteries simultaneously?

The 969 registers false peak charges. I need something smart and efficient. A plug, program, and forget charger is what I need.

I appreciate any help you all can provide.

NorthernBoater
07-22-2007, 09:47 PM
What kind of batteries do you want to charge.

saleens7
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM

10 Ring
07-22-2007, 09:50 PM
I guess that would help...

I am running 6 cell IB3600's.

Thx

NorthernBoater
07-22-2007, 10:14 PM
This is the only NiMh charger I can find that can charge multiple packs. I do not know if it is a good charger.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEYD4&P=7

If you only want to charge NiMh there is the Astroflight 110 charger. What is your budget for the charger.

10 Ring
07-23-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't want to spend over $150. I have been eyeballing the Triton 2 but I wanted to see what everybody else was using.

Superveekiller7
07-23-2007, 12:06 AM
i use a triton 2 and a astro flight 112 D

seabassturd
07-23-2007, 12:20 AM
i charge two packs (6 cell) using a parralell connector, at 8 amps, the packs will receive 4 amps each, which is plenty of juice, packs charge equally and never get warm. and thats using a duratrax ice , that only can handle 10 cells max

10 Ring
07-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I did not think of using a parallel connector. Any cons to this approach? How about discharging?

So...Triton 2 or Duratrax Ice? What about the MRC 977?

seabassturd
07-23-2007, 12:53 AM
i have only experience with the duratrax, and the graupner duo, both work great, personally i feel the ice is hands down the best value. it will discharge at 10 amps, so it would dump them fast enough, but it might get warm even with the fan. i charge a set of 4200's at 8 amps, with 8400 mah, and they finish out quick, and both seem to get a equal charge. i dont know if this is acurate but i seems that by charging, and cycling, in pairs the batteries are closer matched in duration and voltage, then when i run different packs, in pairs.

Fast Guy
07-23-2007, 08:30 AM
I use a MRC Super Brain 989 and charge mulitple packs (same mah) in series.

Charging Lipo pacs in series.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Boats/SB989.jpg

ROOSTERTAIL
07-23-2007, 11:18 AM
It suprises me the so many guys spend a ton of money on batteries then use poor charging systems. A good charger will help your batteries last longer and always perform like new. The best charger IMO is the "SHULTZE" The top 2 are the model ISL6 or the ISL8 the ISL8 is pretty pricey though. These things are incredible They will charge up to 36 cells at one time, you can have it set up with up to 4 out put jacks, I charge 3, 12 cell packs at once, It will charge, discharge, and condition/balance the packs. It can charge NiCD, NiMh. lipoly and Liion, It can be upgraded at anytime to the newest model and software, My 5 year old GP 3300 cells still run like new and I beleive it is due to the charging system I use, I know these chargers are a bit pricey but you will save money in the long run!!!

Fast Guy
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
It suprises me the so many guys spend a ton of money on batteries then use poor charging systems. A good charger will help your batteries last longer and always perform like new. The best charger IMO is the "SHULTZE" The top 2 are the model ISL6 or the ISL8 the ISL8 is pretty pricey though. These things are incredible They will charge up to 36 cells at one time, you can have it set up with up to 4 out put jacks, I charge 3, 12 cell packs at once, It will charge, discharge, and condition/balance the packs. It can charge NiCD, NiMh. lipoly and Liion, It can be upgraded at anytime to the newest model and software, My 5 year old GP 3300 cells still run like new and I beleive it is due to the charging system I use, I know these chargers are a bit pricey but you will save money in the long run!!!

What makes a charger a good charger other than price? My charger (Super Brain 989) doesn't have all those nice features but does it really put a lesser charge on the batterys?

ROOSTERTAIL
07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Price does not make it a better charger. However the price usually indacates the componants of the charger. You pay more fore more functions. Number of cells it can charge volts, amps so on and so forth. What you actually pay for is the method that it will charge. Some chargers just charge all of the cells in the pack at one time. it passes all cells equally, it lets the cell decide when it is finished but the charger will contiue to try and charge that cell, this can result in blown over heated and damaged cells. higher quality chargers are more sensitive and will pulse from cell to cell untill all cells are equal not over charged or udercharged. It is the way it reads the charge that you pay for This is what protects your batteries, If batteries are venting while charging you are over charging and probably damaging that cell. This is what makes a better charger.

Fast Guy
07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Price does not make it a better charger. However the price usually indacates the componants of the charger. You pay more fore more functions. Number of cells it can charge volts, amps so on and so forth. What you actually pay for is the method that it will charge. Some chargers just charge all of the cells in the pack at one time. it passes all cells equally, it lets the cell decide when it is finished but the charger will contiue to try and charge that cell, this can result in blown over heated and damaged cells. higher quality chargers are more sensitive and will pulse from cell to cell untill all cells are equal not over charged or udercharged. It is the way it reads the charge that you pay for This is what protects yous batteries, If batteries are venting while charging you are over charging and probably damaging that cell. This is what makes a better charger.

Thanks ROOSTERTAIL. I take it that my charger doesn't have have this pulse charge. Should charging Lipos with a cell balancer be OK or is there something special with the charge going on too? I always find things out too late.

ROOSTERTAIL
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
You should be fine as long as your balancer is functioning properly. That is the idea, to make sure all cells are equal or balanced. none should be overcharged,. ALWAYS TAKE THE MANUFACTURERS GIVEN SAFETY PRECAUIOTNS FOR CHARGING LIPOS SEIROUSLY AND FOLLOW THEM AS GIVEN. ALSO USE A CHARGE SACK OR VAULT WHEN CHARGING THEM!!!

Superveekiller7
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
is a glass dish ok to charge them??

Fast Guy
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
You should be fine as long as your balancer is functioning properly. That is the idea, to make sure all cells are equal or balanced. none should be overcharged,. ALWAYS TAKE THE MANUFACTURERS GIVE SAFETY PRECAUIOTNS FOR CHARGING LIPOS SEIROUSLY AND FOLLOW THEM AS GIVEN. ALSO USE A CHARGE SACK OR VAULT WHEN CHARGING THEM!!!

That was my #1 reason for choosing E-moli cells. They seem to be safe. Had a motor dead short and melt the soder on the deans connectors. Batteries came out no worse for the wear. The other lipos scare me.

ROOSTERTAIL
07-23-2007, 02:24 PM
is a glass dish ok to charge them??
I HAVE GOT TO SAY NO TO THIS, If you have never seen a Lipoly pack go off it can be anything from smiple smoke to an expolsion, The BIG BANGS are rare but can happen!!!!!