PDA

View Full Version : Mid Atlantic Boaters, lets break the FE barrier in IMPBA D12

Chilli
07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm starting this thread for anyone in the Mid Atlantic area that may be interested in getting into racing. This time last year, I decided I wanted to get into FE boat racing. I started doing research into what opportunities existed in my area but the results were disappointing. After contacting a local club in my area, I decided to join them and give myself two years to see what I could do to get FE racing going in the region.

Over the past summer, I have been an active member of my club and have hopefully put myself in a position where I can possibly request either to have an FE class added to the IMPBA district 12 races next year (2010), or at least have us run with comparable nitro/gas boats. I plan on making this request to my club president and district director before the district meeting early next year. I ask for anyone who may be interested in taking the plunge to attend one of the remaining races this year as a spectator. Look at the race schedule to see if you would be able to attend a few of the district events next year. And if you're still interested, join the IMPBA at the end of the year for the 2010 season. The more people I can show committed by having them join IMPBA, the more I put myself in a position of strength. Right now I have three or four people that are interested in running P-mono’s next year. So we’re off to a good start.

IMPBA District 12 serves Maryland, DC, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina. These are the states where the member clubs are located and where the races are held. You do not have to live within these states to participate. And while I encourage you to join a club, you do not have to be a member of a club to race. You must only be a member of IMPBA. Five district points races are held at Hagerstown, MD, Centreville, VA, Greensboro, NC, Queenstown, MD and Chesapeake, VA. There are also a few fun runs in spring and fall. The two remaining district races this year are in Chesapeake, VA at the end of August and Hagerstown, MD at the end of September. My son and I will be running novice class at the Hagerstown race.

http://www.impba12.com/

Please use this thread for anyone that may be interested in joining us. Introduce yourself and tell us what class you may be interested in running. Ask any questions you may have including what to expect during a race weekend.

We are in a position to make this happen!!!

Chilli
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Well boys and girls, dispite the overwhelming lack of interest in this thread, I still decided to post the race flyer for the last D12 race of the season in Hagerstown, MD. Again, anyone that is interested in racing is invited to participate in the novice class or drop by as a spectator and see what it's all about. Novice class allows any boats except riggers. You will be running gas/nitro length heats which will be six laps so prop accordingly. If you can run about 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, you should be in good shape. Any questions, post them here.

Mike

Diegoboy
08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Sorry, I just don't care for the D12 crew.

Diegoboy
08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
now if you want to start a D12.5 crew, maybe!

Chilli
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I understand where your coming from Danny and respect your choice.

Doug Smock
08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
You fellas should rent a extended van and race in D-13. Bunch of great people (except me) lol, and we have four FE classes on the roster now.

Keep your head up Mike, things will come around. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Doug

Chilli
08-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the invite Doug. Once I get a season or two of racing under my belt, I may load up the Suburban and do that. I'm building a stock gas DF Sniper for next year, so I'm going racing either way. My son can run his Mean Machine in novice for the next two years.

About the only option I see for next year is asking the district to run B-mono and P-mono together. I know my club does not have a problem with doing that. Is that an unreasonable request? I believe I have read that some in Namba have been doing that and I remember reading a thread where Casey won a P-mono, B-mono shootout that you guys ran in D13. Do the two classes run well together?

BTW- Do you know Barry Droste in D13? I'm dropping a bag of buoys off to him on the way back from vacation next week.

Doug Smock
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I know Barry, I hope you'll not be in a Hurry.:blah::biggrin:

Bs and Ps race well together but our Ps. 1515 1Y ,Hydra 240,4s2p 4900 with 640s were clearly faster. We haven't been asked to do that again as of yet.:popcorn2:

If you get the chance to go there my advice would be to go with a setup that doesn't clean their clocks yet is still competitive. Make it a drivers race, and you'll keep the door open.:thumbup1:
Something else to look at is P-Spec O/B Tunnels and their 20s.:beerchug:

Good luck!!!
Doug

Chilli
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Very good advise as usual Doug. I'll take some B-mono lap times at the race and make sure I am comparable.

Barry sounds like a good guy. I have to meet him off Rt. 95 in the middle of a 20 hour road trip, with wife, kids and boat in tow.:eek: :roflol:

Chilli
08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
I know I'm barking in the wind, but:

IMPBA D12 Race in Chesapeake VA this weekend.

Indian River High School, 1969 Braves Trail, Chesapeake, VA

http://www.impba12.com/fliers/17_Annual_Invitational_Flyer-2.pdf

If your in the area, check it out.

Diegoboy
08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Show me something other than Gas & nitro, I may show face. :olleyes:

Doug Smock
08-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Show me something other than Gas & nitro, I may show face. :olleyes:

Show up and show some interest and there wil be more than gas and nitro my brother.:cool:

Doug :beerchug:

Mike will you bail me out if I get locked up by the OSE Police???lol

Chilli
08-27-2009, 11:56 PM
As you know, I'm working on that gas, nitro thing. If I can get the District to run P-mono and B-mono together next year. I will be down there next August and hope the FEMBOT groupies will show up in support, if not to participate. And the "don't clean their clocks" suggestion by Doug will be suspended for that race.

I don't know if my bail money is good down in Tidewater Doug, I'm too close to the Mason-Dixon Line.:beerchug:

Diegoboy
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I have been there with interest in FE with Dirtysouth31. I was frowned upon with my FE and when I tried to talk to a guy that was using a BJ26 brushless as a recovery boat, I was still alienated.
So you twist their arm using the rules to allow FE, that still doesn't change their attitude.
:cursing:

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I think that alot of the nitro guys that have invested their time and $$ are worried about FE coming in and changing things on them.

I recently went to the Gas Clash down in MD and was blown off by a couple of guys down there when I brought up FE boats. One guy actually told me that the reason that he wanted nothing to do with them is that there is too much competition in the BL motors and Lipo batteries and that they were too expensive for him...HUH? The gas boats that he was running have a pretty hefty price tag on them and I think that, for the most part, the racers were all using the same kinds of motors and setups!! HMMM.... sounded like an excuse to me!

There were definately some very cool guys there though (and ALOT of big names too).

Like Mike said...We need to start blazing some trails for ourselves here in the Mid Atlantic areas to open up some FE racing!:thumbup1:

-Kent

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Well boys and girls, dispite the overwhelming lack of interest in this thread, I still decided to post the race flyer for the last D12 race of the season in Hagerstown, MD. Again, anyone that is interested in racing is invited to participate in the novice class or drop by as a spectator and see what it's all about. Novice class allows any boats except riggers. You will be running gas/nitro length heats which will be six laps so prop accordingly. If you can run about 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, you should be in good shape. Any questions, post them here.

Mike

Thanks for posting this race....I will be there...

I know I'm barking in the wind, but:

IMPBA D12 Race in Chesapeake VA this weekend.

Indian River High School, 1969 Braves Trail, Chesapeake, VA

http://www.impba12.com/fliers/17_Annual_Invitational_Flyer-2.pdf

If your in the area, check it out.

This one I don't think I will make...Might need your umbrella this weekend...

-Kent

Doug Smock
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Mike, Kent, Danny anyone....
If you guys can collect up a class or two (three boats minimum) and want to race in the District contact Don Ferrette at donferrette@verizon.net . There is no reason why you guys can't run FE only classes.
Don is the Dist Director and the National Gas Director. I can't imagine him not giving you all the support you need. If you want to call him send me a PM and I'll give you his number.

Danny there is allways one or two in the crowd,( we lovenly refer to them as gasholes lol) don't let them get to you. Racing is a blast weather you win or not and you'll meet a bunch of really nice folks!!
You guys are missing out on some great fun!!!
Good luck!!!
Doug

Diegoboy
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I know Don F. Dirtysouth31 introduced me to him...
:zip-up:

I was there when his newly built Camel Joe's Hydro blew over just before he was to run her in Atlanta.

I hung out with some guys yesterday (nitro stuff) with Dirtysouth31. I saw this beautiful boat built by Don Ferrette. He set the boat in the water for the first time. I later watched it blow over and destroy the wing. It has front flaps that he put at a 45 degree angle to keep the nose down. On her maiden voyage, he forgot to lock the flaps, causing her blow over. I want to know what keeps the nose down on the proboat hulls. We don't have a curved turn fin like outriggers do. I was thinking that the batts will keep her nose down since I don't have them there flaps.

http://www.namba16.com/Edmonton/edm_rcu_gallery_files/smokin%20joes%20014%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I talked to Don at the Gas Clash while he was marshalling the start/finish line. He seems like a good guy...

Thanks for the advice Doug...good info!

-Kent

Chilli
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I lent an extention chord to Don the weekend of the Capitol RC race. When some racers got hot over a bad start, he reminded people by saying "hey guys, these are toy boats". I believe he has his priorities in order and encourages growth in the hobby. I plan on talking to him a little bit over the Hagerstown race weekend.

What I would like to see is "P-mono" or any other FE class on the D12 race fliers next year. I'm thinking running with the B-monos may be our best bet for a few reasonss. First, race weekends are already crowded with heats and I think running with the "B's" will get us some exposure without increasing the number of heats which would cause an added burden on the rest of the racers. Second, other than my son and myself, there are only two other potential racers that have shown an interest getting onboard in D12. At this point, I don't believe we have enough participation to ask for a separate class. And I don't want to see any of the FE racers get frustrated by signing up for a race and then see the class cancelled due to lack of participation. If I cannot get us paired up with the B-mono's for 2010, then we will have to coordinate what races we can attend and ask for a separate class at those individual races as Doug suggested.

I don't want to muscle my way in and piss people off. Just want to get our foot in the door.

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I lent an extention chord to Don the weekend of the Capitol RC race. When some racers got hot over a bad start, he reminded people by saying "hey guys, these are toy boats". I believe he has his priorities in order and encourages growth in the hobby. I plan on talking to him a little bit over the Hagerstown race weekend.

What my goal is, is to see "P-mono" or any other FE class on the D12 race fliers next year. I'm thinking running with the B-monos may be our best bet for a few reasonss. First, race weekends are already crowded with heats and I think running with the "B's" will get us some exposure without increasing the number of heats which would cause an added burden on the rest of the racers. Second, other than my son and myself, there are only two other potential racers that have shown an interest getting onboard in D12. At this point, I don't believe we have enough participation to ask for a seperate class. And I don't want to see any of the FE racers sign up for a race and then see the class cancelled due to lack of participation. If I cannot get us paired up with the B-mono's for 2010, then we will have to coordinate what races we can attend and ask for a separate class at those individual races as Doug suggested.

I don't want to muscle my way in and piss people off. Just want to get my foot in the door.

Sounds like a good plan Mike! I should have plenty of time before the 2010 race season to get a solid P-mono together!

Great thread, by the way!!:thumbup1:

-Kent

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Doug, are you still running a Rico mono? Mike ran across the Rico site while he was surfing and knew that I was looking for a mono so he gave me a tip on the 31". Looks like a good boat. I looked at the Rico picture gallery and saw yours there...you really know how to make some clean setups!

Any thoughts on this mono?

-Kent

Doug Smock
08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Doug, are you still running a Rico mono? Mike ran across the Rico site while he was surfing and knew that I was looking for a mono so he gave me a tip on the 31". Looks like a good boat. I looked at the Rico picture gallery and saw yours there...you really know how to make some clean setups!

Any thoughts on this mono?

-Kent

Kent I really like my Rico, a couple of my club buds just ordered the 31. I guess they are tired of chasing mine.:laugh: BTW thanks for the cudos.

It sounds like you guys have your heads in the right place.:thumbup1:

When you are out there with those guys get familiar with the retrieve boat operation, and don't be afraid to make yourself available to use it.
If you see something that needs to be done do it, if they need help with the site help them. It makes a difference, trust me.

Another little something to consider, talk to Don about it.
I think it is a good idea to have a FE guy retrieve the dead boats after a heat race if there is a FE boat on the pond. The IC guys are used to dead boats being dead, they may not handle ours the way we do.:eek:

:sorry: for rambling.

Good luck!!:tiphat:

egneg
08-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the race info Mike I will be sure to stop by and watch the action. Speaking of P-mono are there any restrictions as to hull size? I have a mono that is just shy of 31" that I have most of the stuff for and will put it all together this winter as well.

Edit: it looks like 31" is ok. I have Ray Fuller designed mono made by Bandit Boats and I was told it was an el lobo 2. But when I ordered a new hatch from Ray it was to small so I am not so sure what it is.

Diegoboy
08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
She's an El Lobo 4 (http://www.rcboataholic.com/building/El%20Lobo%204.htm)

egneg
08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
She's an El Lobo 4 (http://www.rcboataholic.com/building/El%20Lobo%204.htm)

Thanks Diego - that explains the hatch being to small.

Chilli
08-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Chuck, that hull size would be pertect for P-mono. I believe there used to be a size limit but I don't see any in the current rules. If memory serves me, it was a 34" max for P-mono.

If your thinking about joining us for a few races next season, we would love to have you, as well as ALL THE FEMBOTS!

One point I want to reiterate. You only have to be an IMPBA member to race. You do not have to be a member of a district club. The FEMBOTs got a good thing going. Don't want that to change. Would just like you all to come out a couple times a year and churn up some water.

Sean450- You out there??? Hows the mono build going???

Diegoboy
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Just once. Just ONCE, let me put my viper in the water with the nitro boys! :banana:

HOTWATER
08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
The El Lobo is a beauty!! What motor are you planning to run in it?

-Kent

egneg
08-29-2009, 08:38 AM
The El Lobo is a beauty!! What motor are you planning to run in it?

-Kent

I would like to put in a 1515-1Y but in reality I will probably put in a Feigao 540-7XL or maybe 580-6L. I don't know for sure and am still up in the air about it.

HOTWATER
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I would like to put in a 1515-1Y but in reality I will probably put in a Feigao 540-7XL or maybe 580-6L. I don't know for sure and am still up in the air about it.

I have the same champagne taste with a Budweiser budget. The 1515-1Y would be my choice for the Rico if I can afford it...I might have to sell my Aeromarine Sprint cat to make up for the build!:olleyes:

I think I will bring a couple boats with me to sell at the Sept. race...

-Kent

egneg
08-29-2009, 02:37 PM
I went to the race in Chesapeake today and had a great time and folks were very friendly and would answer any questions that I had. As this was the first race I have attended I learned a great deal. I even remembered to take some pictures! :thumbup:

egneg
08-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Just a few more ...

HOTWATER
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Great pics egneg!! I see you got one of John Finch working under the Virginia Craftsman canopy! I can't even imagine how much he knows about RC boats!!

Glad you went and got some pics for us!! The races are a fun place to be at!

-Kent

Chilli
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Glad you had a good time Chuck. Thanks for the pictures. I would of been there this year but I'm still recovering from a 20 hour car ride from earlier in the week. Looks like the weather turned out nice also.

As fun as it is to watch the race. Participating is even more fun. From the time the trailers pull up and watching old friends that havent seen each other in years greet each other to strangers helping each other set up. Families racing together. Thats what it's all about.:thumbup1:

dirtysouth31
08-29-2009, 03:43 PM
hahahaha im even in the 3rd pic chuck..by don ferette tent..white shirt,bald head

egneg
08-29-2009, 03:50 PM
hahahaha im even in the 3rd pic chuck..by don ferette tent..white shirt,bald head

I have another one where you are a bit closer. :thumbup1:

dirtysouth31
08-29-2009, 03:53 PM
figured u would :spy:

dirtysouth31
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
since my last post was moved and edited by a power hungry mod,i will just say again what i wanted to say in first place...i talk to the impba district 12 director at least once a week and the topic always gets brought up by me did anybody from an electric club in va get in contact with you.the answer is the same week in and week out...no..why is that?the phone number was given,e-mail addy as well but nobody will call or write...why?you will sit on forums and say what a bunch of a-holes d-12 is but never make a honest effort to be-freind any of them..i dont even run boats anymore but i will still show up at races to say whats up to people i havent seen in a while..nobody wants us to run electric boats cause we are faster!join the impba aqnd find out..more to running fast boats than buying a hot motor and running up and down for 1 minute,or doing circles..people learn the rules of racing,learn to drive,than go to a damn race (3 of you)and know there not making it tough on you cause u have electrics its the damn rules..3 people make a heat..lets cut the b.s kiddie crap and join an orginization,get your stuff together and go out and have fun..if you think your faster prove it on the water,not on a keyboard....and was glad that egneg atleast took the inituative to see what an actual race day looked and felt like..

Diegoboy
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Moved, Yes.
Edited, NO.

This was my post in the FEMBOT thread just before I closed it. (I started the thread, I'll close it if I want to)

It looks like we're done here. Thanks everyone!
...shame, I wanted to name the group "Team Alpha Super Awesome Cool Dynamite Wolf Squadron (http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/shrek3/team.mp3)" :lol:

This was YOUR post that was moved (not edited)

looks like were done here:blah::blah::blah:

It obviously was in direct response to my comment, you couldn't put it in the FEMBOT thread since it was closed. So I put it there for you. Explain how that designates "power hungry"?

...as for the rest of your comments, point taken. I know that Egneg intends to build a 31" El Lobo4 hull I gave him, and he intends to race it with them. I have been considering a Rico31 mono (http://www.ricoracing.com/electricmono.html) No point in running my hydro if Egneg builds a mono. :ohmy:

Now let me go paste this in the OTHER thread you started with the exact same comments.

Diegoboy
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh, and you know better than anyone here that NO ONE would want to have their boat in the water with mine at the same time. Poor depth perception remember? :o

Diegoboy
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Since I don't know what I said or did to trigger this, I'll open the FEMBOT thread again, Now hopefully I have undone whatever is upsetting you. :unsure:

By the way, It's good to have you back posting again!

HOTWATER
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
WOW!!:hide:

Chilli
08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Well I don't know what to say. The Virginia Beach area has always been the top choice on where my wife and I want to retire, but now you guys have scared the crap out of me.:eek:

I started this venture in part to bring people together that have this sickness that we all share. And it looks like we are making progress. I have no idea whats been going on and frankly it's none of my business. I just hope the parties involved can all cool down over the next few days and remember what brought them together and also that none of us are perfect. I also hope that we have not lost any of the progress we have made over the past few weeks.

Now, For those that want to, Let's Shut Up and RACE!!!!!:rockon2:

Chilli
09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I realize that a few of the guys that are thinking about joining us next year are running smaller hydros. I appreciate the fact that you guys are considering taking the time and expense to build P-monos to race. A race weekend can have allot of down time. Especially if your running only one class. So if it looks like we will get the particpation we need for P-Mono, I'll build a vac-u-pickle over the winter to run with the hydros. All we need is three for a heat.

Just trying to sweenten the pot.:biggrin:

Meniscus
09-01-2009, 06:44 AM
OK, I'm going to say this again for the sake of others who may be interested in running boats with this club.

I have been to practices over a dozen times and sometimes I am greeted with open, kind-hearted folks and other times, a few people have been downright rude.

That being said, as with any group, I'm sure that there are all types and I completely understand that one bad apple may not be a representation of the group as a whole. For that matter, it just goes to prove that all are accepted.
____

For me personally, I am not interested in going racing. It's just not an interest I have. That may change in the future, but for now, that's the way I feel. I will certainly support the local FE guys by having a boat to enter into the races that meets the rules, but I'm not enthusiastic about building a large mono. I'd much rather put together a vac-u-pickle such as Nautiboyz's idea.

Doug Smock
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I'll build a vac-u-pickle over the winter to run with your hydros. The class is N2-Hydro running 2S power.

Consider making them P-Spec Hydros or LSH with the SV, Blackjack or UL-1 motors. They will be less expensive to build,easier on equipment, and will still be fast enough to get in trouble.:w00t::w00t:
This is the fastest growing class in D-13. We even have some IC guys running it.:thumbup1:

Doug

Chilli
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Very Good Ben. Thanks. :thumbup1:

Appreciate your guidance Doug, That's definately an option to consider.
I know your talking about gas/nitro guys, but what does IC stand for???? I forget.

Mike

Doby
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Internal Combustion

Chilli
09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I think a few of my FE boats are IC and I have the speed controllers to prove it.:olleyes:

HOTWATER
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
LOL!! No IC Etti's in there I hope!

Chilli
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Two Etti's but both my bad. One was a prop shaft that was too tight in the strut, second one I was running in brackish water.:doh:

egneg
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Besides the P-mono winter project I have a UL-1 and a H&M XS2 that could run in the P-Hydro, and a Campbell shovel that would qualify LSH with a motor change.

D&D
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I've known Don Ferrette since he came into RC boating with the Capitol RC Boat Club in northern VA and he is a great guy that really puts his all out for the RC boating hobby. I am an old nitro guy who is interested in getting into electric for sport running, but like the current nitro guys you are talking about I get a bit weezy when I read about a $200-$400 controller that blows up the first time you hook it up to the batteries. Or the problems you have just trying to update the controller. No doubt that electric will take over in the end, just be paitent with the "old" guys but keep pushing....

Chilli
09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey Dennis, Thanks for the post and the words of encouragement. Your correct that the Capitol RC Club is for the most part old school nitro, but so far they have been very open minded. Just trying to get the rest of the district on board. Did you used to live/work in NoVA?

Chuck, I think were in good shape running hydro's next year. Looks like most of you guys have some sort of hydro in the mid-upper 20 inch range. I will follow you guy's lead. I'm leaning toward a Vac-u pickle with UL1 power. We can run the 2s class, 4s or both together. What ever gets the guys on the water cheap and easy. I was thinking it would be fun to see you run the UL1 against the Miss Vegas .18 Nitro in a battle of the RTR's. It wouldnt be pretty. I laped the one I raced in the Novice/RTR class

If this goes through, I'm gonna have three builds over the winter. A 29 Titan for my younger son, a Pickle and the Gas Sniper. What the hell am I getting myself into??

HOTWATER
09-03-2009, 05:49 PM
HaHaHa...Mike you are hillarious!

UL-1 power sounds good to me (in my Rigged Insanity) with 2S2P...

-Kent

HOTWATER
09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Besides the P-mono winter project I have a UL-1 and a H&M XS2 that could run in the P-Hydro, and a Campbell shovel that would qualify LSH with a motor change.

Yes!! I like the Campbell Shovel!!

-Kent

Chilli
09-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Kent, is the UL-1, 2S power or 4s?

I deleted part of what I previously posted here so I you read it, disregard. I'm going be keep a low profile in Hagerstown.:spy:

BTW- I did email Don yesterday. No responce yet. I know he's a busy guy so I'll be patient.

HOTWATER
09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
It will be 4S...There are two packs (one on top of the other in the pic)...I can move the top pack back and forth to adjust the balance point.

-Kent

Chilli
09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Well the weather wasnt that great this weekend. And I got to thinking about the first race I attended this year. How I went into it not knowing at all what to expect, worrying about what to do and trying not to look too much like a newbie. So I decided to compile what little knowledge I have gained over the past year and compose a paper for future D12 competitors that have never attended a race.

Now this little guide that I have authored is based on 1/3 observation, 1/3 limited experience and 1/3 fiction. What is the fiction you ask? Well the race start, mill and end of heat proceedures are nothing more than proposals that I present to you potential D12 racers and that I will present to D12 this winter if you all agree to them. Where did they come from? Doug Smock was nice enough to review my paper and offered his suggestions based on what has been sucessful in D13. These proceedures were developed to minimize stress on our equipment. I hope you all find this document helpfull. If anyone has any suggestions, criticism or comments, feel free to voice them. And if anyone thinks this is worth the paper it's printed on and thinks it can be helpfull to someone else, feel free to edit it and make it your own.

Lastly I want to say even though I have taken some initiative to fire up FE racing in D12, don't mistake for a leader . I am merely a IMPBA member, and a over enthusiastic cheerleader:banana: with too much time on my hands. We are all equal in this and we will all have equal say in how to proceed.

Rock On!!! :rockon2:

HOTWATER
09-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Great job Mike and Doug for your support!! No stones left unturned here!

Thanks!

-Kent

D&D
09-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I spoke with Don Ferrette this Friday (09/18/09) at the Indy Masters race in Hobart, Indiana. As I have said before I have known Don for many years and I went there primarly to see Don and watch him run his big twin rigger. I spoke with him of what I have been reading and his statement was "I keep hearing about this but no one at all has called me or approached me to talk of this." "We already have open classes (nitro-gas-electric) which would be good starting points." Don is willing to talk to anyone that wants to further the RC boating hobby.

The Indy Masters race was a LOT of dead boats and "cement" bouy hits, but the twin engine boats were still fun to watch.

Chilli
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey Dennis. Thanks for bringing this to Dons attention. The district only runs two open classes, Open Cat and Open offshore. Neither is realy feasible for the average FE boater. Both classes are dominated by boats over 40". Could you imagine my son running his 29" Mean Machine against a full mod Zen Conquest? No Way. Plus, the offshore course that my club layed out is huge which presents battery endurance problems. And the mill proceedures for IC boats put much more stress on our equiptment. To build a competitive Open FE boat would cost over $3000. Not a good way to attract new FE members into the racing community.

I first started getting interested in racing this time last year. I did email Don and asked him about FE racing in the District. I never got a response. I thought to myself "Why should anyone listen to me? I am not a member". So I joined IMPBA and my local D12 club. I figured I would try to be an active member and an asset to the club, which I believe I have. And at the same time I have been quietly drumming up support on this board. Which I think I have enough of now. So I sent an email over to Don three weeks ago. September 2nd to be exact. Here it is.

Don,
Sorry to bug you as I know your a busy man. I am an IMPBA D12 member and belong to the Capitol RC club. There is a group of guys running Fast Electric's in the mid-Atlantic that would like to run their boats at D12 races next year. I know there are already allot of heats to run in a race weekend. We just want to get our foot in the door while making a minimal impact. I was wondering if there were any possibility that you would entertain the idea of running P-mono electric's with B-mono's at all district races next year (on the race fliers). They are comparable speed and size and this is being done in a few other IMPBA and NAMBA districts. Carl and Tracy were in favor of me running with the B-mono's this year at the Capitol RC race, but I chose to run novice to get a little experience this year. I know any decisions would have to be made at the district meeting over the winter. But if you think this may be doable, I will show our commitment by having the group join the IMPBA before the 2010 district meeting so that we have at least a half dozen registered IMPBA members.

I think this will be good for the growth of the hobby. I had no intention of running anything other than electric boats one year ago and all it took was one race and now I'm in the middle of a Gas Stock build for next year! I'll be racing novice again with my son at the Hagerstown race at the end of the month. If you want to discuss anything, please feel free. I would also be happy to let you take some laps with my P-mono if you would like.

Thanks again.

Mike Chirillo
Purcellville, VA

To date I have had no responce. So I have the last D12 race coming up next weekend and will spend the weekend schmoozing with other D12 members. I also have donated a $35 pair of CC Racing Turn Fins to the host club for thier raffle. My only real desire is to get at least one FE class on the race fliers next year. Every event I go to and every practice, someone always comes up to me and says either they or a friend of theirs wants to race FE boats, but there is no where to race. Thats because they get on the IMPBA D12 web site and look at the race fliers and see nothing but nitro and gas classes. So I will ensure my club brings up the matter at the winter session. And it would be a tremendous help for anyone who wants to join me, to join thier local D12 club so they too know we are out there and to hopefully gain that clubs support

Footnote: I was surfing a local VA Beach Hobby shop's web site and came across this:

Read where it says "ODMBA Club". Third paragraph.
http://www.debbiesrcworld.com/odmba.html

BTW- I'm not busting on Don in any way. I know he has his hands full with running D12 plus I believe he is the National Gas Director.

egneg
09-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I spoke with Don Ferrette this Friday (09/18/09) at the Indy Masters race in Hobart, Indiana. As I have said before I have known Don for many years and I went there primarly to see Don and watch him run his big twin rigger. I spoke with him of what I have been reading and his statement was "I keep hearing about this but no one at all has called me or approached me to talk of this." "We already have open classes (nitro-gas-electric) which would be good starting points." Don is willing to talk to anyone that wants to further the RC boating hobby.

We are working on boats for next year - be afraid.

Chilli
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I smell a hostile take over :w00t:

Chilli
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, the D12 season is over. Had a nice weekend racing dispite the crappy weather. My son and I finished one two in novice. On the last heat, I decided to let it all hang out and threw on an egneg prepared X642. I never tried this prop in a race but decided what the hell, it's the last heat of the season. Unfortunately my pit man put my boat in too early so I had to do two mill laps. The boat was so fast that even with a pound of lead in it and little wind, it nearly took flight. I finished the race and coming around turn one, the boat died. When we pulled her in, I discoved two of the motor wires that come from the ESC had melted solder joints. The little Etti 150 gave me all she had. I don't know if the ECS is fried or not, but I definately see a Hydra 240 in my future. Thank goodness I put in that cap board this past week or I doubt the ECS would of made it through the race.

I'm officially declaring myself retired as a novice. So you all know what that means. Time to get some FE classes in D12. I didnt say anything to anyone about the FE issue during the weekend. I will wait a few weeks and maybe email all the club presidents and Don. We'll see what kind of responce we get and go from there.

PS- I learned today the the Old Dominion Club lost their pond a few days ago due to developement. If any of you Tidewater guys have a place where they may be able to run, that would be major brownie points.

Mike

egneg
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the wins!

Sorry to hear about ODMBA as that was a nice setup they had. I hope they find a new place to run. I found a place a while back that would let us run FE but I am not sure about nitro/gas and buoys as this is a neighbor hood pond.

Chilli
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Winning novice is no big feat Chuck. Mostly RTR's and old hand me down nitros. The last heat I beat the second place boat by a lap and a half. BTW-this is the second controller I have fried testing one of your props. :cursing: I'll probably have you to make me a spare 640 and 642 over the winter. The eight hot laps I had to run was just too much for the ETTI with that prop. If we would of run under the D13 FE start rules, I would have been fine. Also the M640 you did for me makes a great rough water prop. The boat can run through any chop with that prop.

And God bless those nitro guys and their tenacity. If I had a DNF rate as high as some of those guys, I would :flashfire: my boat.

Wonder if OD could run at Mount Trashmore. They have a few ponds dont they???

egneg
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes Mt Trashmore has a couple but it is getting harder to find a place that will let you set up for racing and allow recovery boats. I was thinking maybe Munden Point Park down in Creeds as there is a boat ramp there.

HOTWATER
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey Mike! Glad you and your son did well!! I wish I could have made it today...guess I will have to wait until the springtime for the new race season to start. Did you get any pics while you were at the race?

-Kent

Chilli
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
No pics Kent. Today the weather was supposed to clear out, but it was still off and on rain with the sun poking through on occasion. Didnt want to take a chance using the wifes nice camera. We'll all see each other next season with our game face on. Here's mine:crying:

HOTWATER
09-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I hear ya! Time to start planning the winter builds!

-Kent

Chilli
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I guess now is as good a time as any to get the ball rolling. First thing we need to do before I approach the district is to find out how many people are on board.

1. Who wants to race FEs in D12 in 2010 and what class? If you don't know your class, tell us what boat you want to run, size and what cell count. It realy dosent matter what class we run, as long as all that want to run are included. If we need to do an Open FE Mono class and a Open FE hydo class, to include everyone, so be it. Hydro class include Cats, Tunnel hulls and steped mono hulls.

2. How many races can you anticipate attending? Nothing is written in stone for next year. But generaly there are 5 distict races. Greensboro, NC in the middle of May, Queenstown, MD (Eastern Shore) in early June, Centreville,VA (DC Suburbs) in Late June, Chesapeake,VA (south of Norfolk) late August and Hagerstown,Md late September. I know no one can commit this far out, just need to know what your shooting for. And there shall be no ball busting for those who only wants to attend a local race and not travel out of town.

Mike

P-MONO (Titan 33- 4s2p)

P-Hydo (Mean Machine 29- 4s2p) may build a p-sport hydro or rigger

I anticipate attending the Centreville, Chesapeake and Queenstown Race.

There is no rush getting answers from everyone.

D&D
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
OK, who came in first and who came in second, father or son?????? Congrats!
It is quite a blow to loose your pond, OD had been there for many years.

I agree with the DNFs.... When I went to the Indy Masters a couple of weeks ago I thought these guys were racing in the "Mill Laps". The race would start and only one or two boats were left at the start and some of those already had buoy cuts!

\\
Winning novice is no big feat Chuck. Mostly RTR's and old hand me down nitros. The last heat I beat the second place boat by a lap and a half. BTW-this is the second controller I have fried testing one of your props. :cursing: Just kidding, I'll probably have you to make me a spare 640 and 642 over the winter. The eight hot laps I had to run was just too much for the ETTI with that prop. If we would of run under the D13 FE rules, I would have been fine. Also the M640 you did for me makes a great rough water prop. The boat can run through any chop with that prop.

And God bless those nitro guys and their tenacity. If I had a DNF rate as high as some of those guys, I would :flashfire: my boat.

Wonder if OD could run at Mount Trashmore. They have a few ponds dont they???

Chilli
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Dennis, The old man came in first. My son is 11 and his boat is set up for 4S power at around 45 mph. At the beginning of the summer, he wacked the back bank a few times in practice. I didnt realy think it was that big a deal. No drivers stand and the shore line is not very high off the pond. But it messed up his confidence and he wanted the boat a bit slower. So we have been using 3s packs for him. Slower but still fast enough to blow by the nitro RTR's. After the first heat, he said that he wanted his boat to be faster than mine. So we swapped batteries. On the second heat, I had a good start and had a lead on him. He slowly caught up and after two laps he passed me going into turn three. He cut into lane 1 so close after the pass, that his roostertail got under my bow and just flipped me right over on my back. My pit man said "Boy, that was a pro move". But it's all good. He flipped trying to avoid me two laps later. After that heat, I asked if he wanted the 4s packs for the last heat. He declined. That heat was the only DNF's for us over two race weekends.

It was cold and rainy and more than a few of the nitro guys were having fits trying to get thier mixture right. Especially the B's (.21 nitro for those that don't know). The gentleman next to me had two B-tunnels and a B-hydro rigger and did not finish one heat all weekend. All I had to do is keep my Lipos warm:smile:

D&D
09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
[Nautiboyz,

That's why I always ran a third channel needle and tuned, not raced, in the mill laps.... I was supprised, with the quality of boats that were at the Indy Masters, whith all the boats that did not make it to the start let alone finish the race.

Meniscus
09-29-2009, 06:40 AM
OK, I'm down, probably 2 races => one out of town and the big local one. I have any of the boats in the fleet available, minus the CF micro hydro. I have more 2s batts than 3s and I can run 2s1p, 2s2p, 4s1p. I'll probably be able to run many classes, but I'm not sure about runtimes and capacity. I know my boats will be small for the classes, but so be it.

Chilli
09-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks Ben. My only suggestion for those running smaller boats would be to pick one that you think will best handle the chop.

If we run a hydro and a mono class we're looking at a couply hours between heats. Plenty of time to charge packs. So you only need one good set of batteries per boat and perhaps a back up pack.

If you can run hard for 3 1/2 minutes, that should be plenty for a mill lap, 6 heat laps and even an extra lap if you jump the start.

egneg
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
P-mono

Centreville, Chesapeake.

Chilli
09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
No Hydro class Chuck? Why dont you show those Miss Vegas nitro RTR's what an UL-1 can do.

Side note: I soldered the two motor leads back on my Etti 150 and she fired right up. I'll give her a good test this weekend and see if she holds up.

egneg
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
No Hydro class Chuck? Why dont you show those Miss Vegas nitro RTR's what an UL-1 can do.

Side note: I soldered the two motor leads back on my Etti 150 and she fired right up. I'll give her a good test this weekend and see if she holds up.

I guess I could run the UL-1 as well. Good to here the etti is ok.

Chilli
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
It's just that if you run only one class, there is a ton of down time. Plus since we're newbies at racing, the more practice we get at starts and running in traffic, the better. Just a thought.

egneg
09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I was just thinking that it can be hard to keep it on the water but if I lower the strut and add a bit of weight it should be good to go.

Chilli
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
From the info gathered so far, it looks like most of the hydros that be running in our group will be in the mid to upper 20's in size. I don't know if you have ever seen B-Tunnel boats run on a breezy day. I had the pleasure at the Centreville race. Five boats in the water, three blew over before the race started and the other two blew over by lap four. We couldnt do any worst than that. Just make sure everything is taped up well.

egneg
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
You have a point there because at the Chesapeake race one guy won by default as he was the only one left after the first lap and that was with fairly flat water.

Chilli
10-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, I sent a email to Don and the District 12 club officers today asking for a FE class in the D12 race fliers next year. I have two responses back so far. Both from the Old Dominion Club. Both the president and vice president said they would support us and vote in favor of our request. Thats a pretty good start! Now they just need to find a new site....

Thanks to D&D (Dennis) for going over the email I composed. Dennis is a former Club Pres of the Capitol RC club and he offered advise on possible concerns D12 clubs may have that I should address.

HOTWATER
10-05-2009, 11:39 PM
That's great news Mike!:banana:

Hopefully I will have a P-mono to run along with my Rigged Insanity.

I will try to run these three races:Queenstown, Chesapeake and Centreville.

-Kent

D&D
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Good start Nautiboyz, I may have to drag my self up next hear and watch some of you electric boys run. :bounce:

Doug Smock
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I sent a email to Don and the District 12 club officers today asking for a FE class in the D12 race fliers next year. I have two responses back so far. Both from the Old Dominion Club. Both the president and vice president said they would support us and vote in favor of our request. Thats a pretty good start! Now they just need to find a new site....

Thanks to D&D (Dennis) for going over the email I composed. Dennis is a former Club Pres of the Capitol RC club and he offered advise on possible concerns D12 clubs may have that I should address.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck fellas!!

Doug:beerchug:

egneg
10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
You can count on me for next year and I am looking forward to it.

Chilli
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Chuck, Your avatars crack me up.

Are you Scotch? You seem a little too mellow......

My wife is Scotch/German:hide:

egneg
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
No !!!

Doby didn't like my Green Bay Packer avatar and said he would rather see a picture of Douggie.

Chilli
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
:doh: I'm not going to touch that one.... :popcorn2:

Chilli
10-17-2009, 07:38 PM
There is going to be a one day D12 Fun Run at the Delmarva Pond in Queenstown, MD on Sunday November 1. Gas, Nitro and me:olleyes: as usual. Actually, I asked if I can run with the B-mono's since it's a fun run. If they say yes, I will probably be there. I'll post any further details as I get them. Kent, drop by if your not doing anything.

Mike

HOTWATER
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Mike!

Thanks for the news on that! I will try to clear my plans (if any) that day. Sounds pretty good! It would be great to meet you there!

egneg...will you be there as well?

-Kent

Doug Smock
10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Good luck fellas!!!!!

Doug:popcorn2:

Chilli
10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Keep your eye on "The Dock" post about the D12 Fun Run Doug". It might get ugly. I'm starting to loose my patience!!!! I sent a email to all D12 club and district officers a few weeks ago about including a FE class to fliers next year. Offered 5 new IMPBA members. I only got two positive responses from the Old Dominion Club. The one club I didnt think would swing our way. The rest did not even respond. Four emails in the last year to Don and not one response.

Chilli
10-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Just got a email from my club VP. He said I have his support and would talk to the Club pres to get a final okay. I'm feeling a little better now. That was timely.

egneg
10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I will not make it to Maryland but I do plan to attend the Chesapeake Time Trials next weekend and hopefully the SAW event in Elizabeth City in 3 weeks.

HOTWATER
10-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow! The SAW event... now that would be cool to see! I'll have to see how far that is away from me...do you have an address and date/ time for that event?

-Kent

Chilli
10-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Guys. If you go to either of the events, do me a big favor and see if you can find Preston Hall and/or Timothy Jones. They are the President and VP of ODMBA. Introduce yourself, let them know your one of the guys considering joining IMPBA D12 to run Fast Electrics next year and thank them for supporting us.:thumbup1:

Oct 24 to Oct 25 CHESAPEAKE, VA Record TrialOLD DOMINION MODEL BOAT ASSOCIATION (ODMBA)
Time Trials event to be Indian River High School Lake, 1969 Braves Trail. All IMPBA CLASSES. Event starts when equipment is set up and working. No alcoholic beverages allowed. CD: Kentley Porter, (757)642-1000 email ssutton@tsiwalls.com

Nov 06 to Nov 08 ELIZABETH CITY, NC Record Trial OLD DOMINION MODEL BOATING ASSOCIATION
Timed event for 1/16 mile SAW to be held at Fun Junction Park, 983 Simpson Ditch Road, 27909. CLASSES: All IMPBA classes. No pre-registration is required, event starts when equipment is setup and working. CD: Kentley Porter, (757)642-1000 email kentleyporter@msn.com ASSISTANT CD: Steve Sutton (301) 490-4409 email ssutton@tsiwalls.com

It looks like they are going to let me and John run with the nitro's at the fun run in a few weeks.
John is going to be runing in a "20 Tunnel, 20 hydro, RTR, FE Hydro" class. I'll be running in OPEN NITRO MONO :eek::eek::eek:

Should be interesting!!! I have a Hydra 240 on order...

dirtysouth31
10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
the saws at fun junction are nice too see in person..some fast riggers by ferette and finch:iagree::popcorn2:

Chilli
10-24-2009, 12:28 AM
For anyone that want to join us racing next year. The 2010 IMPBA membership application is available on www.impba.net On the upper left corner you'll see "Current Info". Click on "Roostertails". "Click on "September 2009" and you can find it on page 75.

Also, the latest FE classes and rules are in the December 2008 edition of Roostertails starting on page 10.

If you become a new IMPBA member or are an existing IMPBA/NAMBA member who would like to join us for a race (especially you Jersey and Keystone State boys), please let me know so we can show D12 we are committed to racing next year and get some FE classes on the schdule for the first time in 2010.

The Hagerstown, MD race is 17 miles south of the Mason/Dixon Line, SW of Harrisburg, PA. Our race on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Queenstown) is about 70 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Thanks!

Mike

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey Mike!

I tried to click on "Roostertails" and then "September 2009" went down to page 75 and nothing was there...even after I waited for something to pop up...so I just clicked on "Voting/ Forms" and it gave me the IMPBA 2010 Application form.

-Kent

Chilli
10-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Kent. Last time I checked the Forms section (a week or two ago) the 2010 application wasnt on it yet. I should of checked again before I made the last post.

Are you getting any of the pages when you click on Roostertails? If so, it's probably just taking a while to download.

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
No worries! Just thought I would pass that info along...

I'm printing the Ap. out now...

Thanks man!

-Kent

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow! Now I can't get on the impba site. I tried several time and it just pops up "Page cannot be displayed".

Must be my P.O.S. computer...or owner/operator (me) failure!! LOL!

I'll keep trying...

-Kent

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 12:10 PM
The site is up and running again...:buttrock:

I am sending my AP. in today Mike...

Thanks again :beerchug:
Kent

Chilli
10-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Bro. I have to send in a renewal myself. I ordered a Castle 240 and a pair of Turnigy 35C 5000's. Hope I get them in time for next Sunday. I'm interested to see how the 35C Turnigy's do. At $140 a pair,I had to give them a shot.

I think we might want to change stategies a bit for next year. Instead of asking for FE classes for all District races, ask for the ones that we have shown interest in participating. That would be the Capitol RC race, Chesapeake Race and the Delmarva Race. This way we only have to convince the individual clubs instead of the entire district to put us on the fliers. And since we already have the support of the OD and Capitol Club, we're 2/3's of the way there. How about for classes, we just do FE-Open Mono and FE-Open Hydro? This way we can include anyone that wants to run inlcuding RTR's. IMO, 2010 should be about getting as much participation as possible. If people decide the this racing thing is cool and want to continue, we can then decide on specific classes for the following year. That being said, next year I'll run my Titan in Mono and either my son or myself will run his Mean Machine in hydro. If/when we decide on specific classes the following year, I'll do either a sport hydro or rigger build. This winter I have my hands full doing a gas build for me and a FE mono build for my youger son.

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Yo! Where did you buy the Turnigy's from? Did you get a deal on them?

-Kent

Chilli
10-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I got them from our friends in Hong Kong.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10096&Product_Name=Turnigy_5000mAh_4S_35C_Lipo_Pack

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Great deal! Hopefully shipping didn't kill ya!

Chilli
10-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Regular shipping was about $20. I paid the extra 10 to hopefully get it fast.

Time will tell whether it's a good deal.

Kent, You still plan on droping by next Sunday??

egneg
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Mike I have a pair of the 4S/35C/5000 packs but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They come with 8 awg wire and 5.5mm bullets. I will have to get the app for 2010 and send it in as it wasn't posted the last time I was at the site. I did however notice that there is an open book test and it says you need 100% score to race. Did you do this and if so can I get the answers from you.

Edit: I paid the extra as well and it took less than a week to get them.

Chilli
10-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Chuck, I knew you had a set of the Turnigy's but didnt know they were the 35C's

I remember seeing something about a test on the IMPBA site but did not know it was implemented yet. We're did you read about it. I can't find it.

I guess the weather is so crappy in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast today, everyone is sitting in front of their computer.:olleyes:

egneg
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Mike the test starts on page 15 and continues on page 16 of the September Roostertails. There are 26 questions in all.

HOTWATER
10-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I would also like the answers Mike...J/k!! egneg you crack me up!!

Is there really a test though? I have not heard or seen anything like that...:huh:

Yup...raining here too!:popcorn2:

Also, I'm still thinking about goin Sunday, but I will let you know for sure towards the end of the week.

-Kent

Chilli
10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Chuck, From what I read, the test is non-mandatory for now and the trial will be reviewed next year so I would just turn in my application. Personaly, I do not like the test and I think it will discourage new members from joining. No one requires a 100 on a test and the rule book is a very dry read if your a newbie. I believe the test should be required if you race, but not to join.

No big deal if you can't make it Kent. Just curious..... but we could use you to schmooze the Delmarva Club:roflol:

Mike

egneg
10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Chuck, From what I read, the test is non-mandatory for now and the trial will be reviewed next year so I would just turn in my application. Personaly, I do not like the test and I think it will discourage new members from joining. No one requires a 100 on a test and the rule book is a very dry read if your a newbie. I believe the test should be required if you race, but not to join.

No big deal if you can't make it Kent. Just curious..... but we could use you to schmooze the Delmarva Club:roflol:

Mike

Glad to hear that as it looks unless you know someone quite knowledgeable in the rules it could be tough to get a 100%!

dirtysouth31
10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
i thought the test was just to cd a race??they changed something i guess

Chilli
10-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Yep, something new. And from the looks of it, it's for everyone. Not just new members. Their intent is good but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

egneg
10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Chuck, I knew you had a set of the Turnigy's but didnt know they were the 35C's

I stand corrected you were right they are the 30C.

dirtysouth31
10-24-2009, 05:57 PM
the rules is not the problem its the crazy driving..should implement a driving school,need to complete all laps with out bout cuts or hitting dead boats...i used to hang tight on the bouys during a race with my rigger;takes some practice buts its easier that way

Chilli
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I know what you mean Don. The novice class is the "girlfriend, wife and kid" class. There is no mentorship program for new drivers. Most just buy a boat and jump right in. I had no idea what to expect the first race or how to run it.

Do you still have any boats Don? Why don't you join us next year.....:smile:

dirtysouth31
10-24-2009, 06:07 PM
dont have anything anymore...naw im good

Meniscus
10-27-2009, 06:55 AM
My offer still stands Don, if you'd like to run a boat, you're more than welcome to run one of mine, No Problem!

Chilli
11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, D12 wrapped up its season with a fun run last Sunday. Weather was terrible all day with temps in the low 50's and showers all day. Despite the weather, there was a good turn out. There was no points series to worry about and the race format was very relaxed. Everyone had a great time. I got a chance to be a pit man for a half dozen gas heats so that was new experience for me. I ran two heats with the open nitro mono guys. The first heat I finished third. The winning boat had about a half lap on me. For the final heat, I put on my X642 even though I was still using my Etti 150. At the start, the torque of the electric motor blew me away as I shot into first place by about 30 feet. I should of taken lane one, buy I held my lane and got passed on the back stretch. The winning boat pulled out about a hundred feet ahead of me. I pretty much chased him for the remainder of the heat, making up ground on some laps and loosing some on the next. I ended up finishing second by about a hundred feet. Overall I was pretty happy how thing turned out and I think I surprised allot of people. I also got a few positive comments on the gas board.

So 2009 is a wrap and I couldn't be happier with the progress we have made in 12 months. Next year WILL be the break out year and we can make a huge impact in D12 if we have the participation. The ball is in our court. :tiphat:

egneg
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
As things turned out I was not able to make either of the ODMBA events. But I did get some stuff to work on my P-mono and I will have it ready for next year. Congrats Mike on how well you did this year!

Doug Smock
11-03-2009, 09:43 PM
So 2009 is a wrap and I couldn't be happier with the progress we have made in 12 months. Next year WILL be the break out year and we can make a huge impact in D12 if we have the participation. The ball is in our court. :tiphat:

Well done!!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work!!!!!!

Chilli
11-21-2009, 01:54 PM
We'll, we have made signicant progress this week. I have spent some time on the International Waters forum where most of the nitro guys hang out. I have solicited input from the D12 racers about FE racing. Our mentor Doug Smock was nice enough to take the initiative and call Don on our behalf and spend a significant time on the phone talking about FE racing and what would be required to accomodate us. Don is concerned about the number of classes being run in the district races and appears to be in favor on combining classes with the nitro guys. We got input from a few racers outside the district that have run FE's and nitro's together. I also found a few nitro racers in the district that would like to run a FE next year. One of them being one of the top dog tunnel drivers in the district who already owns a P-spec tunnel and would like to see a P-spec tunnel class. I'm also pretty sure he is a ODMBA member.

I initially wanted a separate, all inclusive hydro class for everyone to run what they want and get a taste of racing. But a monkey wrench has been thrown into that idea with Don and some of the nitro racers wanting us to run with the nitro's . So based on all the info gathered and taking into account the type of hull most popular with those considering joining us next year, I will probably propose to the distrtrict that we run a P-mono class combined with the B-mono and a P-spec (UL-1, SV27, BJ26 motor) hydro class combined with the B-hydro. There might be some rules put in place that would eliminate some advantages of the FE over nitro, like calling a dead boat if a FE gets in a situation that would kill a nitro motor.

Although there are people that think running classes combined is not the optimal way to go, at this point I think it would be in our best interest. It will give us a chance to build boats and know we will be able to race them without worrying if there will be enough entries to make a heat. And at this point, any FE exposure will hopefully give us the jumpstart we need to get on our feet and bring others aboard.

All this being said, I got on the waiting list for Zippkits JAE21 FE version rigger. $95 shipped. Should be fun, cheap and competitive with P-spec power.

I'm a little burned out on all this political crap and I don't think there is anything more I can do except see what happens at the D12 meeting in February. I just want to build some boats and have some fun racing. Thats what it's all about!!!!

Doug, I've said it before. You're da man!:bowdown:

Peace out!!

Mike

egneg
11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Great news Mike. I thank you and Doug for all that you have done!

:thumbup: :bowdown: :thumbup:

Doug Smock
11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Glad to help!!!
Good luck at the Dist. meeting fellas!!:thumbup:

Doug :tiphat:

Doug Smock
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Mike,
I recieved a package full of great stuff from Hickory Farms!!!:w00t:
You're class act my brother!!

Happy Holidays Fellas, and I hope your new year is full of great friends and good racing in D-12!!

Thanks Mike!!:hug1:
All the best,

Chilli
12-23-2009, 04:16 PM
My pleasure Doug. On behalf of all the 2010 D12 FE racers, I just wanted to send a little token of our appreciation for all you have done to keep us motivated and steer us on the right course.

Have a great holiday!

Chilli
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Here is the the proposal I am going to email to all D12 club officers and have my club president submit at the D12 district meeting next month. It has been looked over by Doug Smock and The D12 Director. I posted my intentions on the IW board where allot of nitro guys hang out and the reponce has been overwhelmingly positive. I have tried to address everyone's concerns and this is what I have come up with. If anyone has any final suggestions or corrections, let me know. This proposal if from/for all of us.

District 12 FE ProposalMy name is Mike "Chilli" Chirillo. I am an IMPBA D12 member and member of the Capitol RC Model Boat Club. My son and I attended several district events over the last year running in the novice class. My son will continue in the novice class, but I will be looking for a new challenge in 2010. We had such a great time racing this past year that I have been searching for FE boaters in the region to race in our district. I have rounded up a few new district members and am now asking you all to consider including FE’s in next year’s district schedule. I think it would be beneficial for all parties. It would give us a place to race and enjoy the camaraderie shared in D12. It would also be a new source of growth for the district. I am requesting the opportunity to run two classes so that FE racers can run more than just one or two heats per day. I also request that Fast Electric RTR’s are welcome in the RTR class. I have solicited input from district nitro racers in the International Waters forum. With their input, I have come up with some options and rules to include fast electrics in next year’s schedule. I ask that you discuss this issue with as many of your club members as possible so that we may get everyone’s opinion and ensure there will be no surprises for any D12 members next spring.

Here are some options for including FE classes in district races:
Option 1: Advertise Two Separate FE Classes in District Race fliers: P-mono and P-Spec hydro. Three boat minimum to make a class. No class if minimum count not met.
Pros: Nitro classes would remain segregated. No changes.
Cons: Increased heats in an already busy race schedule. Frustration and discouragement among the new FE racers if there are not enough entries to make a class.
Option 2: Run Two combined classes: B-mono/P-mono and B-hydro/P-Spec Hydro.
Pros: Little chance of increasing the number of heats in a race weekend. FE and in some instances nitro racers would be assured of having required minimum number of boats to make a class (B-mono only had two entries at the Chesapeake race in 2009).
Cons: Possible animosity among nitro drivers. Accommodations and rules needed to address equipment limitations and advantages between FE and Nitro boats (Rules Proposal Below).

Although it would be nice for worthy FE members to receive awards for their performance during a race weekend, I have no desire to disrupt the nitro class points championships.

As a D12 member I prefer option 2 to be run for a one year trial. If the combined classes do not work well in 2010, the exposure will at least give the FE classes the opportunity it needs to get on its own feet in 2011.

Proposed D12 FE/Nitro Combined Class Rules Sections in red are not part of the rule, but an explanation to district and club officers of why the rule is needed.
1. All heats will be six laps unless specified in district race flyers. FE heats in Section J (Fast Electrics) are shorter. FE boaters need to know this so they can set up their boats for longer heats.
2. All heat starts will be in accordance with IMPBA Rulebook, Section G, Heat Racing Rules. Race starts (pit time & clock time) in Section J have different procedures. We want to keep in line with the nitro rules as much as possible to make things easier for the CDs and host club.
3. During a heat, a boat cannot stop for any reason. Doing so will result in being called a Dead Boat by the CD. A barrel roll, end over end flip or spin should not be called a dead boat as long as the boat continues in a forward motion. Racers shall respect the CD’s judgment. When called a dead boat and the boat is capable of maneuvering, the racer shall hold his position until cleared by the CD. When cleared, the racer shall give way to all boats racing, then proceed directly to the infield and come to a stop behind the start buoy until the end of the heat. This rule is to reduce the advantage FE boats may have during situations that would lead to a stalled motor in a nitro boat. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J and is more stringent to level the playing field.
4. At the end of a heat as a boat finishes, one of two methods may be used:
A. A racer may choose to do a cool down lap and will continue all the way around the course before coming to shore.
B. A racer may choose to park in the middle of the race course. After the racer finishes the heat, the racer shall give way to all other boats and when safe to do so, pull into the course infield. The racer shall come to a stop and hold his position until all boats on their cool down lap have returned to shore. Only then may the racer may bring their boat in. A boats electronic speed controller will build up more heat at partial throttle than at full throttle. The cool down lap after a heat can put additional strain on the ESC and possible destroy it. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J. Section J is geared toward FE only and says that the CD will pick one method for an end of race procedure. This is not an option when running combined classes.
5. A qualified FE racer shall be designated to retrieve all dead boats after a heat if there is a dead FE boat on the pond.
6. LiPo battery packs shall be charged on a flameproof surface such as a metal table, Pyrex Dish or Clay Pot. A dry fire extinguisher or extinguishing agent such as a bucket of sand shall be kept in all FE racers pit area or where batteries are being charged. LiPo packs got a bad rap when they first came into the RC world. Most mishaps occurred because people improperly handled them, abused them or continued to use damaged packs.
7. FE P-Spec Classes:: The intent of the P-Spec Motor Specifications is to define a motor and Electronic Speed Control (ESC) package to be used in Limited Spec class racing. Motors and ESCs in these specifications shall be based on readily available parts from Ready-to-Run offerings by various manufacturers.
P-Spec classes will be limited to use of one of the following brushless motors:
AquaCraft AQUG7000 brushless motor (SV27)
Aquacraft AQUG7001 brushless motor (UL-1 Superior)
ProBoat PBR3310 brushless motor (BJ26, Formula FastTech, Miss Elam FE)
No alterations or modifications to the motor are allowed. Originally supplied contacts may be replaced. Any electronic speed controller may be used. The P-spec classes have been a popular in clubs and districts running Fast Electric classes. They are low cost, reliable and readily available RTR motors that have found to be comparable in speed when raced in B-hydro and B-Outboard Tunnel class hulls. The motors selected are of comparable power and have been raced together successfully in other districts.
8. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, any FE boats having a noticeable speed advantage over the faster nitro boats in any heat other than open classes will be asked to detune their boats to ensure competitive racing. If they do not comply, they shall be disqualified from the class.

If adopted, I invite the district to add, delete or modify any of the proposed rules to best fit its needs. If the District chooses to run FE’s in separate classes, rule 3, 4, 8 can be omitted and FE racers will revert to racing under Section J of the IMPBA Rule Book. Rule 6 may be better suited for placement in the Districts safety rules.

egneg
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
The rules sound good to me and show that you put a lot of thought into them ... well done Mike!

Doug Smock
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
The rules sound good to me and show that you put a lot of thought into them ... well done Mike!

:iagree:

Good luck fellas!!!!!!

Chilli
01-06-2010, 07:34 PM
OMG Chuck, Where did you get that avatar? I think I know that guy!!:rofl:
Any word from the IMPBA reference your membership? I did the application via snail mail and recieved my card yesterday.

Not much of the proposal was my doing. When it looked like we had a better chance of talking the district into a combined class, I decided P-mono (for me) and the spec rigger class would be the best fit based on cost and the boats that you guys like to run. All the rules were based on input from nitro racers and those that have already run combined classes.

There are allot of people that do not think running combined is a good idea. I'm hoping we will all play well and this will be a transitional year. Let's just try to expose as many people to FE's as possible and then see what happens. I know of at least four or five nitro guys in D12 who want to try FEs. Unfortunatley if we run combined class, most won't give up nitro to run FE in the same class. There is one nitro racer in Hagerstown that is going to build a P-spec rigger this year. The top tunnel driver in the district already has a P-spec outboard tunnel and would love to see a P-spec tunnel class in the future. Another club officer told me he was so impressed with my P-mono at the fun run, he was going to buy a UL1 over the winter. The writing is on the wall folks!!! The only thing I did to make an impression on these guys was to show them that I take the hobby as seriously as they do.

If any of you guys were contemplating joining a local club. Now would be a good time to touch base and let them know your out there. Let me know when you guys get your IMPBA cards.

Rock On!:rockon2:

dirtysouth31
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1232903709_samuel%20l%20jackson%20-%20bad%20ass%20mofo.gif

egneg
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I still have not heard back about the registration and now that the holiday season is over I will do a bit of followup. I will also check into the old dominion club but I think you have to be an IPBMA member first.

D&D
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Mike,

Good job! Your proposals all sound resonable and I hope for all you FE racers that they will be accepted by D12. It will be for the betterment of everyone.....

Chilli
01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Just a little update. I posted the proposal on International Waters (nitro site) and Jim RC Boat Dock (gas site). I also emailed all the D12 officers. Every response so far has been positive and supportive. One surprise has been that when I first brought up the subject in IW, most of the responses indicated that members wanted us to run combined classes. Now, the responses on Jim's and by email indicate most prefer us to run in our own classes. So I don't know how this is going to turn out other than being 99% confident we will have a place to race next year.

We'll see what happens. Meeting is in about a month.:popcorn2:

egneg
01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Sounds great Mike. I have a couple of new speedies on the way and will send an email this week about my IMPBA membership.

Chilli
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Chuck, If we end up running separate classes, I can let someone run Mikey's Titan 29 to get the three boat minimum for P-mono. I dont' think we will have a hard time getting the minimum for P-Spec Hydro.

BTW-I put a new Castle 240 in the Titan 33 and swapped the Etti 150 into Mikeys boat. I love the Castle Link but wiring that controller with the dual leads is a total PITA.

Chilli
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
The D12 meeting has been scheduled. The big day is Saturday Feb. 27th to verify what classes will be running and whether we will be running with the nitro guys or by ourselves. I think it's going to be a toss up. Nonetheless, FE's are coming to D12 and there is no turning back!!! :banana:

Chilli
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
11 Days to the district meeting. I have been asked by Don to attend and I will be going down to Richmond. I just want to do a final check on who is planning on racing with us next year. Even if it's only one or two races. We're asking for P-Mono and P-Spec Hydro classes. Spec Hydro is any hydro that runs the SV27, UL1 or BJ26 motor. Right now I know we have at least three that will run riggers in P-spec hydro. Me, Kent and a nitro racer from the district. Looks like we only have two P-mono's, Chuck and myself.

If anyone has any questions, comment or requests, ask away.

Meniscus
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll have to check the rules, but I have an H&M No Step 1 that I could run, although it's small. I don't have any of the SV27, UL1, or BJ26 motors to run at the present time. Otherwise, I'm sure I could have something for Spec Hydro if I had a motor. I'll have to check on the allowable setups for P-mono and P-hydro.

Doug Smock
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Good luck fellas!!! I mean break a keel LOL

egneg
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I finally got my IMPBA number !!!

I will be in P-mono and P-spec hydro.

I am stoked and ready to race!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: I have also contacted ODMBA about becoming a member.

Chilli
02-16-2010, 06:16 PM
More good news guys. I just got a email from Timothy Jones from the Old Dominion Club. It looks like they are going to keep their pond at the high school for one more year. So if you guys decide you want to join, now would be a great time to let them know your out there. Tell 'em I sent you. Also it looks like there are now three spec tunnels that want to run. I believe they all belong to the OD club. Thank you all for your support!!!

Mike

egneg
02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
More good news guys. I just got a email from Timothy Jones from the Old Dominion Club. It looks like they are going to keep their pond at the high school for one more year. So if you guys decide you want to join, now would be a great time to let them know your out there. Tell 'em I sent you. Also it looks like there are now three spec tunnels that want to run. I believe they all belong to the OD club. Thank you all for your support!!!

Mike

I have talked to folks at Debbie's RC and they were very optimistic about the club being stable for the the time being.

HOTWATER
02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I finally got my IMPBA number !!!

I will be in P-mono and P-spec hydro.

I am stoked and ready to race!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: I have also contacted ODMBA about becoming a member.

Whoo- hooo! You are now official!!!:laugh:

What are you going to run for P-spec hydro Chuck?

-Kent

egneg
02-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Kent I think I will run the UL-1 to start but may switch to the H&M XS2 if I find it is legal.

egneg
02-17-2010, 05:36 AM

Mike

Mike I did send an email about joining and I mentioned your name along with a couple of others they should know.

Meniscus
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
:help:

As most know, I'm a sport boater. I've looked over the rules and am having difficulty determining what the length requirements are for the various classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have the following:

Mono
4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

H&M No Step 1 = 22.6" Length

3s1p:

Tenshock Eco = 16.8" Length - which I don't believe is legal, even if I change the motor/batt setup

Hydro
4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

H&M Viper Turbine = 24.2" Length
Blizzard Rigger = 22.2" Length
X-Crab Evo Rigger = 27.4" Length -hope to have running if I have time

Tunnel/Cat
4s1p:

Blackjack 26 = 26" Length -not stock power or hardware

I'm looking for input regarding how to fit these hulls into what you'll are planning to run. Again, I don't have any stock motors such as UL1, SV26, or BJ26, but I have many other motors I could use.

Thanks for the input.

Diegoboy
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I guess if one can squeeze 4S in it, it's P spec?:confused1:

Chilli
02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey Guys,

"P" is a power classification basically meaning 4S (14.8v) power . All the classes we are proposing will be using 4S power. You can use one 4s pack, two 2s packs in series or 4s2p. It's all good. Spec classes have to run a specific motor. In our case, either the UL1,BJ26 or SV27 motor. The "P-spec hyrdo" and "P-spec tunnel" class will require one of the designated spec motors. The "P-mono" class allows any motor.

I cant find the IMPBA Rules on the web site that has the trial rules that we are currently under. But if memory serves, there is no minimum length for most classes. I believe there is a maximum's, but I don't think it will be a factor.

But as far as boat size. The bigger the better. If you're racing with five other boats, allot of chop gets created. You will get swallowed up by the water in a small boat. Often, it is not the fastest boat that wins a heat.

Now if you guys want to try racing and want to keep the investment down to a minimum. Why not run novice class? The only rule is you cannot run riggers. You can run any battery and motor you want. You can run sport hydros or any other hull other than riggers. Entry fees are only five bucks and you get to whoop up on nitro boats. Most of the nitro boats run in this class are the RTR Aquacraft Miss Vegas boats. Me and my son lapped them every heat we ran last year. Just something to consider.

I have a used UL-1 speed controller that has a blown cap. I bought it used but understand it will work if a cap is added. If any of you guys (FEMBOTS) want it, it's yours.

Any other questions, fire away.

HOTWATER
02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Kent I think I will run the UL-1 to start but may switch to the H&M XS2 if I find it is legal.

Sweet!! Should be fun!!:bounce:

-Kent

HOTWATER
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
:help:

As most know, I'm a sport boater. I've looked over the rules and am having difficulty determining what the length requirements are for the various classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have the following:

Mono
4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

H&M No Step 1 = 22.6" Length

3s1p:

Tenshock Eco = 16.8" Length - which I don't believe is legal, even if I change the motor/batt setup

Hydro
4s1p, 4s2p, 2s2p:

H&M Viper Turbine = 24.2" Length
Blizzard Rigger = 22.2" Length
X-Crab Evo Rigger = 27.4" Length -hope to have running if I have time

Tunnel/Cat
4s1p:

Blackjack 26 = 26" Length -not stock power or hardware

I'm looking for input regarding how to fit these hulls into what you'll are planning to run. Again, I don't have any stock motors such as UL1, SV26, or BJ26, but I have many other motors I could use.

Thanks for the input.

Ben, could you use one of the three spec motor listed in your X-Crab? That may work out...ecspecially if you can run a 4S lipo in it....:biggrin:

-Kent

Meniscus
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

I don't mind running a smaller boat since I can setup more stable for that application. :thumbup1:

I don't have any spec motors at this time and so, I'll be available for p-mono or p-hydro.

If I could figure out a spec motor, whould I have to run a spec ESC as well or does it only apply to the motor?

Thanks for the suggestion on the X-Crab, but I'm afraid it will cook any spec motor since it's difficult to get on plane. It most likely will smoke any ESC I have presently as well.

Chilli
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey Ben,
Acutally P-mono is the only non spec class. Hydro and tunnel classes will be required to use the spec motors. I wrote the rules proposal to be as flexible as possible. So if you can get your hands on a spec motor, you can use any speed controller you want. And like I said, I have a UL1 controller you can have.

Meniscus
02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I understand. I'm not sure if I'm going to manage a spec motor at this time as I'm not really buying anything. We'll have to see what I can manage.

I appreciate the offer for the ESC, but I don't really need it. It will be much better served helping out another boater who has the need. :smile:

Chilli
02-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Okay Ben. If there is anything I can do for you, just ask.

Meniscus
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks, the same offer goes to you.

Meniscus
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Can we define spec motor? Is it limited to SV27, BJ26, UL1 motors or is it any RTR motor?

I'm always confused when it comes to spec classes. The spirit of the rules is to keep the boats in competitive speed ranges at a lower cost then unlimited options. That being said, IMHO, I think it's ridiculous that I can't purchase an Ammo motor with the same or less KV and still be able to meet requirements.

Let's say someone wanted to use a smaller model, but use the motor from ProBoat's WidowMaker at 2900kv. That's a stock motor.

I'm not trying to bend the rules here, but simply wanted to voice my opinion regarding the "spirit" of the rules. Why not make it Turnigy motors at 1/3 the cost or outrunners that can handle the larger props and limit the total KV rating in order to race? It just seems silly to force someone to use equipment that you have to overprop to be competitive, just to smoke an ESC or buy a bigger ESC to accommodate. Meanwhile you're buying the stuff out of China anyway for the RTR's.

After all, these spec motors were designed to be used with boats that measure 26-27" Now we're asking them to push 31"! You better have some good batteries in there, which are more expensive, otherwise you'll lose those too.

OK, I said my piece. I think the idea is there, but the rules will eventually have to be revamped as these "RTR" manufacturers release new china versions of their stuff. It's just hard to have fun while justifying the extra cost for a spec motor when there's additional risk, more so than a cheaper, more conservative setup available to the tune of 30-40% reduction in cost.

Chilli
02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Ben. I appreciate your concern and input. The number one reason I picked the three motors is because other districts (IMPBA and Namba) have been using these motors in their spec/limited class with success. These motors are comparable in power, readily available and relatively inexpensive. They are also comparable in power to .21 nitro motors which gives the district more options to include FE classes in the district this year. Using the same motors that other districts use also gives racers from outside D12 the opportunity to race with us.

Now, what about other motors? I'm not an EE and I dont have any idea what the criteria should be. Kv, motor size, wattage? Are we going to have to dyno each motor to make sure one does not have a significant advantage? What happens when a new motor comes out that meets the criteria and is more powerfull. I'm afraid everyone who wants to be competetive will run out and buy that motor. Which then also defeats the spirit of the class.

I have not heard of any major problems with the three selected motors burning out. And from what I read, these motors have been pushing tunnel hulls to 50 mph and riggers into the mid to upper 50's. Yes, if you over prop them, you will shorten their life. And yes people with deep pockets will probably push their equipment a little harder to try and gain an advantage Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. Fortunately, a well tuned boat and good driving usually will more than overcome a performance advantage. One of the first things I learned at a race is the fastest boat does not always win. Usually they are the first one on their lid.

Anyhow, Thats why I choose those motors for our spec class.:cool2:

Doug Smock
02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Good post Mike.

If I remember right you will find the new FE rules in the Dec. 2008 Roostertail. The rulebook should be updated by the end of the year hopefully.

Good luck fellas!!

Chilli
02-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Four days to the meeting in Richmond. Another pleasent surprise that I have learned over the last week. There is a good chance P-spec tunnels are going to make a showing in the district this year. It looks like we have four current members that either have or are building tunnel boats. So it's going to be an interesting meeting. As soon as I get back Saturday afternoon, I'll let you all know what transpired and I should also have the race dates for the season.

Meniscus
02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the input Mike. I wasn't trying to change anything, but simply trying to understand why one motor is OK and another one isn't. If the motivation for this class was to be cost effective, then I was indicating that there are some $25 to $30 motors that are easier on a budget. In any case, I wasn't questioning your decision regarding what motors to run. After all, you are right about deep pockets. I've had a few different BJ26 motors in the past and one was significantly better than the other. I guess if you have deep pockets, you could order 10, bench test them and return the ones that didn't perform.

Thanks for the info on Roostertails, I'll look that up for more info.

I'm glad to hear that others will have some tunnels to run. I like all the effort you've made to generate interest in the FE classes. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Do we have any rules about twin setups??

Chilli
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
No Worries Ben. I've always welcomed input from you guys. Even though I've taken the intiative, it's not just about what I want. Besides, winter in our neck of the woods is about building boats and bench(keyboard) racing. If it was warmer, we would be at the pond. Anyway, there was a loooong thread on the subject of spec motors on RRR a few months ago where the pros and cons were discussed. After a page or two,I got tired of reading it. I took the same approach in coming up with rules that I do when I build a boat. I'm relatively new at this so I tend to do what has worked well for others. Now to tell you the truth, most that have raced classes combined have warned that it may not work out very well. But I consider this a transition year. I just want to get as much FE exposure in the district as possible this year. I think the rest will work out on its own.

I don't think there are any IMPBA classes for twins. Districts do run them. The only one's I have ever seen were Twin nitro riggers. Something that may be confusing that we have to separate is that there are IMPBA classes that are in the rule book and Club/District classes that are not. The P-mono class is a IMPBA class. There spec classes that we and other districts run are District classes. There are Spec classes in the IMPBA rule book, but they use brushed motors and are not as popular. The IMPBA gives districts the flexibility to run what they want. The rule book is like reading Chinese the first few times you read it. So you guys continue to ask questions if you dont understand something you read.

Meniscus
02-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, I use a translator...

...his name is Mike :rofl:

Chilli
02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Close this puppy out Danny!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

HOTWATER
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Mike, How did the meeting go? I'm guessing you are going to start a new thread since you asked Danny to close this one...

-Kent

Chilli
02-28-2010, 12:39 AM
You missed the new thread Kent.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13021

HOTWATER
02-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Aha!!! :banana::banana::laugh::laugh:

-Kent