PDA

View Full Version : As Newbe as it gets!

Oddball185
07-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys,

I just got my Ul1 in the mail on Friday. ($240 off ebay) Could not wait to get her out on the lake!
So I charged up 2 Reedy 5000 mha 2cell 20c packs and was on my way. I taped her up really well with some radio box tape I found at my LHS and let her rip! All stock including the prop. Ran pretty good, but I could not stay on the throttle it was trying to fly! "Chine walking" or whatever you call it. Than she just took off full speed towards the other side of the lake! I had no control! Lucky for me it quit before hitting shore. Not lucky for me I had now way of getting her back. Finally some kid that had been watching decided he would go in and swim after it! I was really grateful especially because this water is gross! As he was swimming her back he submerged her a couple times so I have no way of knowing when the water got inside but it was FULL! So, after a long story my question is why would it just take off? My batteries where fresh in the TX and I did not go very far so I could not have been out of range. I'm guessing some water must have gotten in there and shorted out the receiver then causing it to quit.

After blowing evrything out with some air looks like there is no damage!?

Again sorry for the long post.

Rumdog
07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Check the waterjacket for leaks. I'd bet thats how you took on so much water and got your rx wet. The stock waterjackets are junk. You should buy the upgrade here on ose.

Drag Boat Bob
07-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree that the earlier water jacket leaks.

If you contact Hobby Services, they will send you a replacement set of end-caps and O-rings for free. :biggrin:

detox
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
The Aquacraft water jacket is TOO TRICKY to assemble so I would dump the stock jacket and make a simple aluminum coil version or use one of OSE's designs. Better yet...do not use one at all. The temps of th UL-1 motor seldom reach over 130 degrees.

Since you purchased your UL on Ebay... AQ may not cover your ESC, but you could try anyway. I would install two extra caps on new replacement ESC to prevent failure in the future. Install Castles 5mm bullets on motor wires...the thin AQ 4mm conectors are crap and will become unsoldered. The Dean's battery connectors are OK for the UL-1.

Lower your strut 1" below hull. This will help sponsons run wetter and be less flighty. I have ran my strut as much as 1 3/16" below hull. Adding more weight to front of hull especially to the left sponson side will help counter rotation of prop. Check rudder angle...I like mine set at zero angle or very close to it. Turnfin should be angled up slightly...this will help fight chine walk by pulling hull downwards during FAST RH turns. BTW unlike some hydros the UL-1 will also turn left.

Props I like are the Octura m440, x442, GrimRacer L40 x 57/3

Be sure to read and understand your UL-1 manual.

Oddball185
07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips! Things went a little better today. The radio has a very short range??? It would cut out, im going to guess around 50 feet... My Cheap traxxas am radio has better range! What's more likely a bad TX or the receiver has short range because it got wet yesterday? Oh, and Yep the waterjacket is leaking, so I put the receiver in a balloon to keep any more water off it.
I can see how easy it is to get hooked on these boats its a kick in the pants! :sold: