PDA

View Full Version : new proboat catamaran

saleens7
07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
sorry about the erased posts, i wasnt really paying attention to what i was erasing...

this thread is about the new Proboat Apache Catamaran they came out with...basically the SW26 in a cat hull...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3400

Fluid
07-20-2007, 11:48 PM
When are these manufacturers gonna wake up and realize how poor that old-school steerable outdrive is? That design is from the late 1980s. It's fragile, has poor efficiency, is difficult to maintain properly, is draggy and costly. Cheezy brushed 05 motor, at least there is an ESC.

I see nothing innovative here, especially compared to the SV27, etc. The bar has been raised for almost a year - but some boat makers just won't jump. :rolleyes:

saleens7
07-20-2007, 11:51 PM

Tunda
07-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Ill take care of that.....................

hammertime
07-21-2007, 04:20 AM
im drunk///////////////

Steven Vaccaro
07-21-2007, 06:49 AM
When are these manufacturers gonna wake up and realize how poor that old-school steerable outdrive is? That design is from the late 1980s. It's fragile, has poor efficiency, is difficult to maintain properly, is draggy and costly. Cheezy brushed 05 motor, at least there is an ESC.

This boat is all about price point. I know its not what we like, but there are lots & lots of people out there that are using 15mph boats.

compared to the SV27, etc. The bar has been raised for almost a year - but some boat makers just won't jump. :rolleyes:

I have to agree there.

It would be nice is Horizon made a competing mono to race against the sv27. We could have a ford/chevy race class.

Fluid
07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Steve I understand that very well (although the steerable outdrive is more costly than a fixed flex shaft) - and I guess I was too being too harsh. But when the market sees how well the SV has been accepted - and sells - yet does not at least occasionally rise to meet it, I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale. :(

Steven Vaccaro
07-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Steve I understand that very well (although the steerable outdrive is more costly than a fixed flex shaft) - and I guess I was too being too harsh. But when the market sees how well the SV has been accepted - and sells - yet does not at least occasionally rise to meet it, I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale. :(

. As you know we only have 2 major distributors. Luckily for us, one hired Grim. The other is more into gas and nitro.

I am reminded how the world sees FE boats - as toys bought by parents and children to play with for a week, then to sit in the attic until the next garage sale

I dont think its as much a rc boat manufacturer issue. As a father I know that 2 well! I cant tell you how many things I have bought that only are in the spotlight for a week, including some well built toys collecting dust. Only thing that gets use around my house is the computer and xbox. So much so that we have to limit their use to the weekends during the school year.

SJFE
07-21-2007, 09:31 AM
This may be the hull I need for my little outboard project..

ReddyWatts
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I like these little boats. They help get more people into FE. This boat is $139.00. That is high for someone starting out in R/C boats. Now look at how much we are spending. Drag em in cheap!

Mich. Maniac
07-21-2007, 09:42 AM
what about the black jack, is that hull anywhere capable of the mean machine or jolly?

SJFE
07-21-2007, 09:58 AM
IMO no. The Bj hull is happy around 30 to 35. Higher speeds require a larger and wider hull. Speking of witch...It's beautiful out today...I have all the time in the world...and what did I go and do...Sold the friggin motor outa my only boat for an upgrade..UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. My kingdom for a motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FE_Chris
07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
For 139.....It looks pretty cool....

If I was broke as a joke I would be all over this boat.

But I'm not broke, and I'm not all over this.

Gilbequick
07-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm so broke I can't even afford this one! It's amazing how much it costs to have your house painted. Radio Shack here I come.....

FE_Chris
07-21-2007, 10:24 PM
lol.....I here ya. I paint house's here and there. Int/Ext. We do good work, but it's expensive. Very time consuming if the home owner wants a real good job done. Plus I gotta make money to pay for RC :-)

I was looking at this cat more. For someone with 139$, why not. Thats inline with the SW26, Villain 7.2. A "decent" boat does'nt get much cheaper.

saleens7
07-21-2007, 10:27 PM

FE_Chris
07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
well, there ARE exceptions ;)

i dont know....i got my SW26 for free...:D (thanks again piranha2!)

SJFE
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
This looks like a great entry level boat. Also it looks to have some good cheap upgrade potential. A 19 turn motor and right prop will bring low to mid 20s I bet. Hell put me down for one Steven. I would love to play around with it just to see what I can get :).

hammertime
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
i bet you could make this a great 6-7 cell brushless boat..... use a feigao s and 6 cells just like with what i did with my hammer.........wich hit mid 30s

SJFE
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Yup I am sure i can. Thanks for the vote of confidence:). I am looking to build a dual outboard cat in the 24 to 28 inch range to be honest. When I pick one of these up it will be my new rescue boat. I grow tired of luggin the tug around. When these are relieced look for the old SJFE tug in the swapshop :).

hammertime
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
that thing is sooo sweet tho...........works great

SJFE
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes its very funtional and looks great on the water. But that little cat with a couple carbon fiber kite booms afixed to the sides will be much faster to the rescue and take up way less space in the truck. I could make the riggers removable on the tug..but I am done workin on it. I will section them for shiping and include joint connectors for re assembly of course. But I really want a lighter quicker more manegable rescue craft.

hammertime
07-23-2007, 04:06 PM
understandable

sidv13
08-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I think I will be getting one of these when it comes out it could be fun to upgrade and see what I can get out of it. but that is just my $.02

SJFE
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Found these today. They claim the esc is 45 amps...no word on the motor.

FE_Chris
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I thaught this thread was about the 139$ 20" cat, not the BJ26 BL cat.....

With all saleens post being deleted, it's hard to tell.

Found these today. The clain the esc is 45 amps...no word on the motor.

saleens7
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I thaught this thread was about the 139$ 20" cat, not the BJ26 BL cat.....

With all saleens post being deleted, it's hard to tell.

yeah, sorry bout that, i wasnt really checking what i was erasing.

i re posted the first post...its about the apache catamaran, not the BL BJ26

saleens7
08-02-2007, 02:56 PM
there is a vid of the apache cat on its page....it look pretty fast...definately faster than the SW36...probably 15(ish)mph

Flying Scotsman
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Fluid, I am late on this thread, and you are bang on. The problem is generally we all start with an RTR and then get disappointed with the speed and then we spend lots of bucks trying to upgrade a boat that is not capable of much higher speed. My suggestion is buy the RTR and appreciate the limitations and then buy an FE hull that is within your budget, as some FE boats are way over $2,000.00.

Doug

sidv13
08-10-2007, 04:11 AM
just a thought but is that not the "problem" all RCrs have?? we cant leave anything well enough alone. every person in this hobby I have met, and I dont just mean rc boaters, will try and figure out how to make somthing faster than it was designed to go. how else do you explain stuff like twin motor rc trucks and stuff like that. I am not sayin that I am not guilty of it also because I am. I am just sayin it seems like a character trait of people in this hobby

evofan74
08-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree. I got into Boats about 3 months ago when I bought a cheap RTR boat at a flea market for $50. That little 10mph, no reverse, no servo piece of crap was enough for the bug to bite. Two weeks later I bought a Villain EX. I had that in the water twice and loved it. As soon as the second outing was over I said "Now how do I make this thing FASTER?" LOL With limited funds I am slowly upgrading the Shockwave 26 I bought too because I like the hull. It's on!!!!

SJFE
08-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Evo if I can offer you some advice. Keep costs and your hull limits in mind when upgrading. I have dumped 1 or 2 hundred bucks in a hull only to find out its unable to handle the power. One way around it is to buy upgrades that can be used in a variety of hulls & drive systems. The obvious reasons is your parts can grow with your experience.

evofan74
08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
that's very good advice but I'm sure I'll screw up anyway LOL

sidv13
10-02-2007, 03:45 AM
has anyone actually seen this boat yet? I would love to get some real world opinions on it.

Steven Vaccaro
10-02-2007, 08:12 AM
has anyone actually seen this boat yet? I would love to get some real world opinions on it.

It has not been released yet.

sidv13
10-02-2007, 11:34 PM
oh ok I thought on horizon it said that you can backorder them and they no longer have a due date on them so I thought they had been released just out of stock.

ApacheDude
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I have to say that it this is a good value and mix for an entry boat.

Nope, its not as fast as the BJ
Yes, they kept costs down with molded abs and solid drive line
Yes, steerable drives are not so good for faster setups, but works good in this one

My first boat was a Miss Budwiser many, many, years ago. LOVED IT. The Apache was my second entry, and now I also have a BJ.

I have since upgraded my Apache to Brushless and it is the same speed as the BJ (totally stock BJ), and that is with NiMH.

Good boat to get started with. As ReddyWatts said: drag them in cheap!

WHOA, just noticed this post is over a year old! :rofl: