PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor questions please...

MarkJnK
07-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi guys, just finished my hull prep as per Darin's tutorial, and then topped it off with urethane expanding foam. The hull feels incredible now, no more flex.

I want to prep the boat for a weekend of hard racing, my family has a family reunion every year and all the men race boats for fun.

Regarding capacitors:
1) Will adding a cap board such as the one sold by OSE protect the factory cap? Or is it still the weak link? Should I remove the factory cap if installing the cap board?

2) If I want to replace the factory cap, how do I remove it? It looks like it is molded in there.

3) Once removed, do I have to re-seal the ESC for waterproofness?

4) Lastly, what type of cap is required?

Thanks all.

Drag Boat Bob
07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi guys, just finished my hull prep as per Darin's tutorial, and then topped it off with urethane expanding foam. The hull feels incredible now, no more flex.

I want to prep the boat for a weekend of hard racing, my family has a family reunion every year and all the men race boats for fun.

Regarding capacitors:
1) Will adding a cap board such as the one sold by OSE protect the factory cap? Or is it still the weak link? Should I remove the factory cap if installing the cap board?

2) If I want to replace the factory cap, how do I remove it? It looks like it is molded in there.

3) Once removed, do I have to re-seal the ESC for waterproofness?

4) Lastly, what type of cap is required?

Thanks all.

1. Yes the ETTI cap board will work. Some here use one.
No need to remove the factory cap if it is still good.

2. It can be removed with a hack saw or similar.

3. Yes. You can use liquid electricians tape.

4. Kintec Racing has the most common cap used for about a dollar each. I used 2.

bigpapa
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
or u can use up to 5 of thease

avaiable at kintec racing

:bounce::bounce:

bigpapa
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8917

bigpapa
07-16-2009, 12:02 PM
WITH 3 CAPS

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8835

longballlumber
07-28-2009, 08:29 AM
For those of you interested, here are pictures of an extra cap installed on my speedo....

Capt. Crash
07-28-2009, 08:40 AM
For those of you interested, here are pictures of an extra cap installed on my speedo....

Very good pics...leaves no doubt as to how to do it...thanks! :rockon2:

longballlumber
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks Capt,

I used to have it configured a little differently that is why you see so much exposed wire. However if done to a stock speedo you don't need to remove as much wire insulation.

Mike