PDA

View Full Version : Water in the hull ?

FoxProGT
07-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Sup peeps.....

been running my ul-1 around since iv got the cap issue fixed and its running awesome.

So now onto other things :laugh:

iv been wondering about the little drain plug thats on the back & left side of the boat. i know it should be opened every run to let water out but is it normal for water to always find its way into the hull or does it mean you have a crack somewhere if water is in there? im not having alot of water come out of that thing. sometimes alittle comes out and sometimes none at all comes out :confused2:

p.s. i mean inside the hull as in not in the motor/esc/battery compartment but inside the hull its self X)

nate
07-06-2009, 12:43 AM
My Ul-1 has tosed over a few times, but theres not much water in my hull with that thick Hockey tape haha..
Never had water inside of the sponsons ect.

bigpapa
07-06-2009, 12:48 AM
hatch has to be sealed very well ........ nate uses a gallon of locktite to seal his 4 ever lol

papa
07-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Sup peeps.....

does it mean you have a crack somewhere if water is in there? im not having alot of water come out of that thing. sometimes alittle comes out and sometimes none at all comes out :confused2:

Big Papa yes my friend this is very true, I havent run my UL-1 but Ii feel like sending all 3 of them back to the Australian Importers,,,,. Im really dispointed with the over all quality of these Hulls and if you check my thread out i have posted some pics regarding sponson area. I also discovered 3 cracks today and have just repaired them the tiny cracks would have definetly allouwed water to get in dew to poor quality Glass work, its made from CHOP STRAND FIBREGLASS and its no thicker than 200gram chop (way to thin)

The paint job is also very poor and posibly they need to employee a QC guy to double check the Hulls before they go out.

:rockon2:

Papa

I have had a buddy of mine take the cowl to make up a plug so we can convert from Plastic to Fibre glass.

Go over your boat with a power full Flash light and you should find the leaks, or another way is hold it firmly with out your electronics installed in a bath tub and gently try and push the boat under water until it gives you resistance,,,, this will also push water into any small cracks.

TCR
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Big Papa yes my friend this is very true, I havent run my UL-1 but Ii feel like sending all 3 of them back to the Australian Importers,,,,. Im really dispointed with the over all quality of these Hulls and if you check my thread out i have posted some pics regarding sponson area. I also discovered 3 cracks today and have just repaired them the tiny cracks would have definetly allouwed water to get in dew to poor quality Glass work, its made from CHOP STRAND FIBREGLASS and its no thicker than 200gram chop (way to thin)

The paint job is also very poor and posibly they need to employee a QC guy to double check the Hulls before they go out.

:rockon2:

Papa

I have had a buddy of mine take the cowl to make up a plug so we can convert from Plastic to Fibre glass.

Go over your boat with a power full Flash light and you should find the leaks, or another way is hold it firmly with out your electronics installed in a bath tub and gently try and push the boat under water until it gives you resistance,,,, this will also push water into any small cracks.

Were any of your three hulls the "upgraded" UL-1s, or is there such a thing???

FoxProGT
07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
im not talking about the electronic bay area... i mean with in the hull its self... thats what that lkittle plug is for on the back.... i figured it must be normal since that plug was installed to begain with but im not sure. so far i think iv been lucky with my hull because i can not find any cracks on it.. maybe i dont drive it enough? i dont believe it is the upgraded one tho :(

Brushless55
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
im not talking about the electronic bay area... i mean with in the hull its self... thats what that lkittle plug is for on the back.... i figured it must be normal since that plug was installed to begain with but im not sure. so far i think iv been lucky with my hull because i can not find any cracks on it.. maybe i dont drive it enough? i dont believe it is the upgraded one tho :(

I think this is some what normal as they have the plug..
I pull the plug after each day of use and see no issues with this..

Jeff Wohlt
07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I would like to know the same. Mike should be able to tell us if there are newer versions but I tend to think not.

FoxProGT
07-07-2009, 02:14 AM
a worker at the hobby shop i goto said that the newer ul-1s have had the turn fin area fixed. he seemed to have known about the issue.

what i wonder is how bad the issue is... like is it cracks that develop immediately under any kind of usage or are they just tinny little cracks that come over time? how many runs must one do so that he/she can tell if they got a bad hull or not?

papa
07-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Guys

I have spoken to the distributors and they have advised that the boats I purchased are the latest version.....

I don’t know any other version just the ones that I have received and from what I have been told they are a fresh shipment I have now decided to paint strip it back to Gel coat to try and find more cracks because these BOATS ARE PAPER THIN and no QC is conducted. Once I strip the paint off I will post a couple of pics.

I personally after pulling this boat down would not recommend it for racing because it will fall apart after a couple of decent hits

I have started a thread here and i think all owners should take a look and comment

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8802

Brushless55
07-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Actually these boats in stock trim to just fin in a race...
read around and see what others have done with minimal effort to make these race ready boats!
some have gotten this boat to perform really well

papa
07-09-2009, 06:00 AM
read around and see what others have done with minimal effort to make these race ready boats!

Your 100% correct but some of us just want them to last a couple of seasons and upgrade Power plant thus repairs and modifications I believe are necessary, what I did find out today from the suppliers is that the earlier UL-1 did not have the drain Plug I don’t know how true that is and I would like to find out from other UL-1 owners if this is true.

I have totally filled the boat cavity up with two part expandable poly (same stuff used in surfboards) I just felt the need to do it and I’m very impressed with the overall finish and the strength it’s added to the Hull...................... Be warned this is not sold in Presure Pack its the real deal it comes in two Parts and you need to mix and poor all with inn 60 seconds and YOU MUST HAVE EXIT HOLE or HOLES other wise your boat will come appart.

Over all weight gain is a total of 345grams including the sponson modification

TCR
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Bull! I have had to replace 2 of these ESCs that I don't run over 5 mins,both have had blown caps, and 1 motor w/ less than 2 hrs use. THese boats are not built enough for racers and especially are not built for the weekend basher. Aquacraft cheerleaders say what you want; I have 3 UL-1s do you?

Capt. Crash
07-09-2009, 11:45 AM
About the drain plug...I have one of the first to be sent out by Tower...got it on Dec. 11, 2008. It has the drain plug...and you should not be getting ANY water inside the hull...I only get it inside when I have a leak somewhere....be it a crack or around the stuffing tube.

I guess I've been lucky in the electronics end...I still run all the original electronics equipment and have around 75 hours run time now.

Crash

FoxProGT
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
i know the esc had a cap issue but now the motors are weak too???? :( i just use my ul-1 as a "weekend basher" and am very happy with its speed so have no desire to make it faster but i would like it to last me along time..

Capt. Crash
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
My original motor is still running fine...but I didn't tax it with any thing bigger than a 40X57/3 prop and never run it hot. I keep every thing lubed. I use the recommended pair of 2 cell lipos in series. The only blown motors I've heard of were over volted. I'm not sure why ESCs are blowing caps...mine is still working great.

The only major issues I had were structural.

Brushless55
07-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Bull! I have had to replace 2 of these ESCs that I don't run over 5 mins,both have had blown caps, and 1 motor w/ less than 2 hrs use. THese boats are not built enough for racers and especially are not built for the weekend basher. Aquacraft cheerleaders say what you want; I have 3 UL-1s do you?

Wow! chill out...:doh:

I have well over 30 runs on my UL-1 and not one issue with it..
Hmm my guess is I have it set up right and not over powering anything :thumbup1:

TCR
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Wow! chill out...:doh:

I have well over 30 runs on my UL-1 and not one issue with it..
Hmm my guess is I have it set up right and not over powering anything :thumbup1:

My guess is I have more experience w/ multiple UL-1s than you:thumbup1:, but that's an assumption and I could be wrong. Also I haven't overpropped any of them and my set ups are more loose than wet. So if good cells, short run times and not overpropping isn't the answer what is?

TCR
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
My original motor is still running fine...but I didn't tax it with any thing bigger than a 40X57/3 prop and never run it hot. I keep every thing lubed. I use the recommended pair of 2 cell lipos in series. The only blown motors I've heard of were over volted. I'm not sure why ESCs are blowing caps...mine is still working great.

The only major issues I had were structural.

My batts are all 7.4V 2s Maxamps 5250s or polyquest 6000s, the most prop I've used is the 40x57; I really enjoy the 40x52/3. Temps stay below 135 or so. The one motor I had go bad had to be bad from the start to die so soon.

Brushless55
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
My guess is I have more experience w/ multiple UL-1s than you:thumbup1:, but that's an assumption and I could be wrong. Also I haven't overpropped any of them and my set ups are more loose than wet. So if good cells, short run times and not overpropping isn't the answer what is?

yep, just your assumption :thumbup1:

TCR
07-10-2009, 04:47 AM
yep, just your assumption :thumbup1:

Then let's here it, you have how many UL-1s and have had no issues due to your superior knowledge? Facts please. These threads are to inform people who may or may not own a UL-1, not bust the balls of other members. So enlighten us and better yet tell me where I'm going wrong w/ the 3 UL-1s that I own, w/ the mediocre electronics we have to tip-toe around. I will THEN stand down on questioning this RTR and it's quality.... Problem is I have 3 and have had one issue or another w/ ALL OF THEM. A freakin' Blackjack 26's quality is superior, design is not but the quality IS. The floor is yours...

Brushless55
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Then let's here it, you have how many UL-1s and have had no issues due to your superior knowledge? Facts please. These threads are to inform people who may or may not own a UL-1, not bust the balls of other members. So enlighten us and better yet tell me where I'm going wrong w/ the 3 UL-1s that I own, w/ the mediocre electronics we have to tip-toe around. I will THEN stand down on questioning this RTR and it's quality.... Problem is I have 3 and have had one issue or another w/ ALL OF THEM. A freakin' Blackjack 26's quality is superior, design is not but the quality IS. The floor is yours...

What I think of when someone starts of a with a bragg :rofl:

TCR
07-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Please read what you wrote; then translate in english for the rest of us please
"someone starts of a with a bragg"

Your laughing, but your not getting the PMs that I am about you...:sorry:

Brushless55
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Lets get back to this thread about water in the hull... :thumbup1:

I do pull the plug and let my UL-1 drain out some water after each day of running..

Christaphason
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I have heard of the water cooling jackets leaking and filling the hull... Aquacraft will send you an upgraded cooling jacket for free if you call them.

FoxProGT
07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I have heard of the water cooling jackets leaking and filling the hull... Aquacraft will send you an upgraded cooling jacket for free if you call them.

you must mean it lets water in the electronic bay. maybe i will call for that replacement jacket anyway tho :D

Brushless55
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Mine had a slight leak, and all that was needed was to tighten up the ends..
work great now.. :cool2:

Christaphason
07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
you must mean it lets water in the electronic bay. maybe i will call for that replacement jacket anyway tho :D

Also tell Aquacraft your reciever was ruined due to the jacket leaking! :cool2:

Brushless55
07-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Also tell Aquacraft your reciever was ruined due to the jacket leaking! :cool2:

Don't forget about the esc! :laugh:

FoxProGT
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
:O mwwahahahahaa

Christaphason
07-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Its really the least Aquacraft can do for having such poor quality control

russmustar
07-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Guys-I have first hand experience with the poor fiberglass quality on the UL-1, having shortened one to run in the N-2 sport class. I cut the transom off 1 1/2" and replaced it and cut the deck off and resheeted with 1/32 ply. There are areas in the hull that the glass is THINNER than the gelcote. The problem with the turn fin area is that they used a metal plate roughly 1/4" by 3/8" as a backer. The transom is ok, as they used one piece of metal for both the strut and rudder, so it has enough area. The thin problem areas seem to be the corners of the radio tub and the inner areas of the picklefork. They just didn't lay enough glass really anywhere. You have to realize, this boat wasn't a $300 hull, it as a $300 starter package for FE racing. You can't go out and assemble one at a lower price, that I know of. Just my .02 worth-Russ

FoxProGT
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
hmm good info... anyone know how the boat will handle with out a turn fin? ima try that out next time i take her out.... :D

russmustar
07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
One more item I didn't mention-The serious lack of flotation in the hull! In the hull I cut down, there were only 2 pcs(1 in each front sponson) 1" X 1" X 8" just laying in there. I guess that's enough, but better to have too much than too little. Russ

Shooter
08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
FoxPro - Got the same problem. I found very small cracks where the inside of the sponsons meet the deck. They looked innocent, maybe just a gelcoat issues???, but when I pushed on them, my finger went through! I guess what I'm saying is that you might want to look carefully over the hull and patch up any suspect cracks, defects, etc... Good Luck!!!