PDA

View Full Version : UL-1, upgrades and 6s conversion

MonsterMaxx
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I just picked up a used new UL1. It's never been run, but it's not the latest generation with all the updates.

One reason to get a boat is so I can play with a friend in Atlanta over the 4th.

I don't have batts that can go 4s except for some little dinky 1300s for a tiny helicopter. Nor do I have any intention of buying one ship specific packs.

What I do have is some very powerful 6s30c2650 packs. These run a wide variety of my birds and will be what powers the UL1...after it gets some major upgrades.

For this weekend, I'll run 2x 3s20c2200s in series. Ought to be good enough to have some fun for the weekend. Will also remove the turn fin so the hull doesn't end up damaged. A little worried about how flexy the rudder is.
Anyone got any problems with that?

So then I get back from the weekend and hopefully steven has shipped whatever we'll come up with in the next plan.
I want to take this thing as far as it'll go.
This plan begins with 2x 6s30c2650s (440g ea) for 6s2p30c5300. Shown in the pic is these packs mounted in the hull. They just fit. If there's cg issues, I'll have to solve it some other way.
Speedy will be a Castle or cheap chinese, whichever I can get my hands on.
I'll mod the hull to strengthen the turn fin and rudder areas. Then fill it with the expanding foam to strengthen the whole hull.
And from here I have lots of uncertainty.
Steven said the Feigao 13XL would be a good motor.
Do I need a turn fin on both sides? is that unnecessary or...?
Should I replace the rudder with something better?
Do I need trim tabs or are they unnecessary on a hydro?
What prop? The guy I bought the other hull (an aeromarine mono) said I need the x440 or x442.
Do I need to change to the .187 shaft?
Anything else I can do?

If this power system works out I'll get another one for the aeromarine 29" mono I have too.

Bottom line, I'd like to take it as far as it'll go on 6s in one swipe. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Fluid
07-03-2009, 01:54 AM
For this weekend, I'll run 2x 3s20c2200s in series. Ought to be good enough to have some fun for the weekend.
It will also be good enough to blow your ESC - don't do it. You could try running 3S2P, but then the low voltage cutoff will get you. The ESC is your weak point here for 3S or 6S - it is a 4S controller.

A little worried about how flexy the rudder is. Anyone got any problems with that?
I have only seen a "flex" rudder when the transom was cracked.

Do I need a turn fin on both sides? is that unnecessary or...?Hydros only turn right, not left, so only one turn fin. You'll flip if you try turning left at high speed.

Should I replace the rudder with something better?
The stock rudder will be fine as long as it is solidly mounted.

Do I need trim tabs or are they unnecessary on a hydro?No trim tabs.

What prop? The guy I bought the other hull (an aeromarine mono) said I need the x440 or x442.
You will probably want props from x442 through x445 for the 13XL/6S setup. That hull is speed-limited if you really want to run it for more than a few seconds without flipping it. You will need to add some lead weight too.

Do I need to change to the .187 shaft?
It would be a good idea, although you can probably 'get by' with the stock 0.150 cable if you keep prop diameter down.

Bottom line, I'd like to take it as far as it'll go on 6s in one swipe.
That is pretty wide open. Both hulls are speed-limited, the Titan 29 doesn't really like speeds over 45 mph as it has too much lift to be reliable. If all you want to do is GPS race, then they sky's the limit - you can go even hotter on your motor choices....but I wouldn't recommend it. Most guys want some run time without having to pick up a flipped boat every two minutes.

MonsterMaxx
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the answers.

Darn, I meant to say parallel. I even wired it that way last night, I knew I couldn't feed the stock esc 6s. Now y'all think I'm a dummy. ugh. I set it up on 3s2p last night. Seems to work. Put the nomadio rx in it w/ batt probe and switched the servo for a 94357. The stock servo was binding.

When I say 'flexy' I mean that when I tug on the rudder I can see the transom flexing, not the rudder flexing. I'm worried that it's not strong enough and if I ever catch the rudder on something it'll rip it right out of the hull. Maybe the expanding foam will help a little. Or should I fishplate the outside? or chop holes and fishplate the inside? Also, the rudder on the mono has a release system (top screw is pinned, bottom is slotted - see pic). Is there one like this avail for the ul1 or should I just make this one that way with a dremel?

Why do hydros only turn right? That seems silly. What is this, NASCAR? oh wait, they only turn left :) Is there no way to make them turn left?

On props, do I want 2 or 3 bladed? Plastic or metal? Steven suggested I start with the 2317.40 carbon one when I was asking about the mono hull.

GPS racing? What's the preferred gps? I assume it'll be inexpensive and waterproof, found on feebay?
In the GA/SC area, there's only 3 clubs, none of them within 2 hours of me so I doubt I'll be doing much racing. Though there is one in Atlanta where my friend is, so there's a chance I'll enter one someday, though I expect these boats to just be for goofing around - but mine has to be faster than his :)

So a 187 shaft will fit? good. Since I'm really beefing up the power, a little help to the drive can't hurt. Just a shaft and collet or is there more I'd need? What's with the thrust bearings? Do I need them?

Do you think the 13xl is the right motor, or...in the mono thread someone suggested looking at medusa motors

What all up weight (AUW) am I going to need to be at? In all my other birds lighter is better, but I see you folks actually adding weight. w/ the 2x 3s packs it's 4.6lbs, with the 2x 6s is 5.7lbs and we would expect it to gain more with a bigger motor, esc and expanding foam. Probably in the 6lb range when done. Is that too heavy or will it need that much weight to keep it down with all that power?

Brushless55
07-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Thread says UL-1, upgrades and 6s conversion
(Darn, I meant to say parallel. I even wired it that way last night, I knew I couldn't feed the stock esc 6s.)

Now your only going 3s?
3s will be down on power vs 4s

Fluid
07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
... Now y'all think I'm a dummy...
Wrong.

..Or should I fishplate the outside? or chop holes and fishplate the inside?
To avoid problems later it would be a good idea to reinforce the transom. Some boats are better in this regard than others.

....is there no way to make them turn left?
Not really, just slow down. But if you use a right-hand prop and reverse the motor rotation.......

On props, do I want 2 or 3 bladed? Plastic or metal?

The only answer is, whatever works best. For the stock setup I have good luck with the cheap K45 plastic prop and the m445 metal, but others have had great luck with different props. A lot depends on the cells you use and where the boat CG is located. With your 6S setup you do not want to use large props, not until you work up to them.

GPS racing? What's the preferred gps? I assume it'll be inexpensive and waterproof, found on feebay?
The Garmin Geko 101 was the standard but is out of production. Any small GPS that gives MAX SPEED is fine, shop around. I bought mine for $65 off eBay a few years ago.

So a 187 shaft will fit?
While I haven't tried it, it should fit if you remove the teflon liner first. I don't run teflon in any of my boats, even the 80 mph record holders.

Do you think the 13xl is the right motor, or...
For 6S it is probably a good choice. You can go to a motor with a higher Kv for higher speeds, but unless you want to constantly retrieve a flipped boat, that one will give you all the speed the hull can handle.

...w/ the 2x 3s packs it's 4.6lbs, with the 2x 6s is 5.7lbs and we would expect it to gain more with a bigger motor, esc and expanding foam. Probably in the 6lb range when done. Is that too heavy or will it need that much weight to keep it down with all that power?

The hull is designed for speeds in the 40s and generates enough lift to work great at low weight. As the speed increases so does the lift, and you need something to counteract the higher lift or the boat blows off. Adding weight does it - as long as it still floats. With FE boats we have plenty of power so weight is usually not an issue expect with under-powered setups.

MonsterMaxx
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Thread says UL-1, upgrades and 6s conversion
(Darn, I meant to say parallel. I even wired it that way last night, I knew I couldn't feed the stock esc 6s.)

Now your only going 3s?
3s will be down on power vs 4s

yea, I know, it's just to play this weekend, my friend as a sv27 so me on 3s we ought to be evenly matched.
It's just for this weekend so we can play. When I get home I'll start tearing into the 6s conversion and all the other.

Fluid, I didn't see the transom reinforcement anywhere in these threads, can you point me to it? I did see the turn fin reinforcement.
I'd like to reinforce the transom too.

etrex H the most popular gps these days? If I really wanted to get fancy I could put my eagletree in it and get a gps extender :bounce::buttrock:

when you say "don't use a large prob" what's "large" for this situation?

Brushless55
07-04-2009, 11:33 AM
not sure if the stcok esc will let ya run a 3s setup

Bubber Jones
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Your attempts to make a boat do what it isn't supposed to do are an attempt to compensate for something lacking in your life. Stop being crazy. Just put 8 AA batteries in it and be happy.

:sarcasm1: I'm the "friend", so I should be allowed to poke fun at him.

I can already see that you are going to need a bigger bucket.

LarrysDrifter
05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Your over thinking the whole ul1 on 6s thing.You dont need 6s to outrun your buddies sv27.Run the boat stock for now and tune it for more speed.(props,strut,turn fin,etc.).If your gona keep the stock esc,run 4s.Sounds like your wanting to over speed a hull that isnt meant to go as fast as your wanting to.You wanna go stupid fast?Buy a longer or different style hull.When you start taking the ul1 past its design limits,your gonna be chasing a capsized boat alot more than youll be running it.Get it up to 50+ and move on to another hull.