PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 for prop shaft lube?

FoxProGT
07-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Sup peeps.......

Whale blasting some wd-40 threw the cooling system i was wondering if it would be ok to use wd-40 to lube up the prop shaft or if thats a no no for some reason?

Ub Hauled
07-02-2009, 02:11 AM
WD40 is not a lube... it's a Water Displacement agent.
something like Marine grease is much more appropriate.

FoxProGT
07-02-2009, 02:30 AM
i know its not technically a lube but just wondered if it would be ok to use it on the prop shaft or would the mix of it and the marine grease not be a good idea?

Ub Hauled
07-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Hmmm... not sure about the mix, I have not done that one... I use a special mixture between a high tech bicycle oil and grease, water just seems to stay away from it.
Try it and see if you like the results...

LuckyDuc
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Grease substitute:
Some use a burp tank attached to the stuffing tube and fill it with gear oil to lube the shaft while in use. That way you don't have to remove the flex cable to re-lube it. It may be a bit messy with a sealed FE though. My nitro mono has this and it works well. I wouldn't mix WD-40 with any lubricants as it is a solvent as well as a water displacement agent.

Jeff Wohlt
07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
No way would I use WD40 for a lube....well maybe a hinge on a door but that is it.

I found that a a decent marine bearing lube (synthetic) for boat trailers is great but before I slide it in I would use drops of oil down it and then install.

Another good sticky oil is Chain saw bar lube. We know what a chainsaw bar goes through.

Remember as the driveline spins evenrthing get warm and even grease turns into almost an oil....the reseaon to use a high pressure grease such as the wheelbearing grease.

FoxProGT
07-03-2009, 01:33 AM
great..thanks for the input peeps :)

bluthndr
07-06-2009, 05:10 PM
i use a med/ thick cv joint grease and it works very well and its cheap. it is also very water resistant. you can use just about anything just as long as there is no silicon in it. silicon drags way to much

FoxProGT
07-07-2009, 02:15 AM
awesome :D

bwells
07-07-2009, 02:33 AM
best one I have heard of is the blue marine wheel bearing grease and then coat it with 3 in 1 oil as the marine grease is thick and the 3 in 1 breaks it down a shade

domwilson
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I tried a few different things myself. 90wt gear oil, wheel bearing grease, marine grease, lithium grease, etc. Finally ended up with bicycle wheel bearing grease with teflon. It's seems to be water proof, low drag, and works great, for me at least.

Capt. Crash
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I use "Quantum Hot Sauce" fishing reel oil (Teflon powder suspension) and put Grim Racer Speed Grease on top of that. The blend seems to work well.

6S HYDRO
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
hmmm, hot sauce

domwilson
07-14-2009, 03:04 AM
This stuff works great. I know, it's for bicycles. But my shafts always come out clean and I run in salt water. http://www.triflowlubricants.com/products/syntheticgrease.html

MarkJnK
07-25-2009, 04:14 PM
In my fast mono, I used to use 10W-30, dipped the shaft in a jar of it, shook off the excess and installed. I did this every 4 or 5 runs. 4 seasons on this boat with no issues and no noticable wear on the teflon liner. Then one year my brother brought a lube "specially" designed for flex shafts, can't recall the name. So I tried that and after 2 runs, I melted my teflon liner, seized the shaft and snapped it, and my goodness did it ever stink.

With my UL-1 I bought a tub of Grims speed grease, but have not tried it yet. In all the posts about flex lubes, nobody ever recommends the Speed Grease? No good?