PDA

View Full Version : bby om29 build

steveo
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
i dont have any earlier pics so here are the latest, i have laid down fg but felt it still had flex so i laid dowm 1/16" stringers and 1/8" ply on the flat it will not flex now.
hardware is fdm strut, fullers 4" precision with kick up rudder, 9xl , .150 cable. the boat is still very light because of the abs plastic

LJH
07-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Steveo,
Looking good, the only issue I see is the fact that the motor is so far forward. I just set up my OM29 and Randy wanted the motor 2" from the transom. With the severity of the bend in the stuffing tuve I ended up with the motor 4" from the transom though with the SC700 that was in there (Hope your SS1 will go in today :-) ) my batteries (4S2P 4000Mah Lipos) are pretty far forward. When I get my ESC I will be putting my 11XL in there which will bring the batteries back a bit because the motor is so much lighter then the brushed motor.

Cheers,
Jim

steveo
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
i did the motor the motor in the rear on my om26 but i like a little more room to work and i am using a stuffing tube for a .130 cable without the teflon , so i need it a little long to take it easy on the bend, makes for a friction less drive line, most likely the motor will move up an inch or so

LJH
07-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Steveo,
I hear ya on the stuffing tube bend, I originally wanted to go with a wire drive but decided against it after seeing the bend that was going to be nessesary. I also ended up moving the motor forward to ease the radius of the tube.

Got the motor yesterday.....Thanks, the OM should be in the water tonight. I just had a brand new Lipo pack kick the can so for the time being I am back to round cells :-( till I get the pack back after being inspected.

Cheers,
Jim

steveo
07-17-2007, 05:08 PM
cool you got the motor, tell me how it runs , i need a cc hydra 120 before i can run and it will be awhile

LJH
07-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Steveo,
Ran the boat this afternoon at lunch, one of my new 4s 4000mah lipo packs up and died on me since the last time I ran her so last night I made up a 16 cell pack using some old and abused CP-2400's. Ran her today in some decent sized waves (8-12") and she ran great. I used a Graupner K42 to keep the heating down but I think with the state that these cells are in I would be fine going to a X445. This morning I made up a 14 cell pack of some Zapped HR-2600, I seem to have a good amount of old school sub-c's from my F5B days, and I am formatting them now. Motor seems fine and it looks like there is a lot of life left in the brushes which are now water cooled. I have to say withthe extra weight of the 16 cells the boat did great in the waves, it is not nearly as scary as it is with the Lipos in it LOL. I hear ya on the wait, I am cheap and went with the Hextronics ESC and they keep pushing the due date back :mad: . I really want to go brushless........

Cheers,
Jim

steveo
07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
i was going to buy a speed control off e-bay for $70, 100 amp 18cell and would do 2, 4 and 6 pole motors, then i found out that the hydra can do the same, i also have a new sv27 motor in my om26 and did not want to buy two speed controls, so i am going to save my pennys

FE_Chris
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Looks cool steveo. I wanna see how fast it goes! :D

steveo
07-29-2007, 03:28 PM
so do i chris so do i, just need a hydra 120 and a turn fin maybe trimtabs but i'll wait to see how it runs first

zuppy51
08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
i dont have any earlier pics so here are the latest, i have laid down fg but felt it still had flex so i laid dowm 1/16" stringers and 1/8" ply on the flat it will not flex now.
hardware is fdm strut, fullers 4" precision with kick up rudder, 9xl , .150 cable. the boat is still very light because of the abs plastic

So what do you think of the quality of the BBY hull? and craftsmanship? I've been considering one my self..

steveo
08-03-2007, 11:22 PM
i think it is a very good hull , its thin plastic so its up to you to make it more rigid, and its the right price, the boat is way more stiff than any other stock fiberglass boat i have laid my hands on with almost the same weight like it shows in the pics, i have built a om 26 and it is a riot to drive it does everything a boat 3 times its money can do

steveo
08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
you will have to do some cutting and sanding on the boat to make it fit right which doesnt take to long randy does a decent job trimming

LJH
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Stevo,
Wondering if you ever got the OM29 going? I have been running mine a bunch and having a great time with it. I finally got the Hex120 and blew it up after 4 runs......it does not like getting wet. I found a used Baracuda 125 for $100.00 and it has been bullet proof for some 20+ runs. I have been running the boat with a 11XL and either 18 IB4200 or 4S2P 4000Mah Lipos. I have no idea how fast it is going but it is pretty darn quick and has great runtime. I did have one issue a few weeks back when I stuffed her into a wave about 20' out, when she resurfaced I had crushed the first 2" of the bow.....The beach where I was running is pretty bold so I have no idea how deep it went but it sure plowed into the bottom at a good rate of speed. A little foam and some glass and she is good to go. Let me know how yours is going.

Cheers,
Jim

steveo
09-21-2007, 09:47 PM
man i have not run it yet, i got a hex120 for it i cant program it from the pc and it looks like it got f##ed up from the factory when i took it apart, i have not set the motor yet just waiting to get a xl cooling jacket so i know how low to set the motor, and turn fins and a hydra 240 to buy as well

i have not run any boats for the last 5 months at least, i sold all my brushed esc and motors, and got a sv27 motor for my 0m26 thats also waiting for the hydra esc, its driving me crazy to not run them

steveo
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
here's a little progress, have not went to the lake with the turnfins , trim tabs on i need to make a better drive line support, just got the cooling jacket as well need to make a water pickup, any suggestions the prop is way out there for prop wash like i usually do.

steveo
01-13-2008, 08:27 PM
oops heres the photos

ace028
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
looks nice, how does she run? Looks like you got your trim tabs upside down, the sheet metal part follows the same shape as the aluminum, so it makes a L not a U if you know what I mean, then you will have more adjustibility from the supplied screws.

kck741
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Or you could put longer screws in it ...???

my 0.02

ace028
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Or you could put longer screws in it ...???

my 0.02

That is defiantly true

steveo
01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
your right, they are up side down i was in a hurry pulling them off another boat, i knew something didnt seem right

steveo
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
i have not tested with the new fins and tabs, #1 my charger dosent work #2 i need a good boat esc

with in the next month i will have an esc , new charger and getting lipos, thats my goal

steveo
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
ok since this last post i got my ebay etti 125 amp esc (great speedo), 2 2s1p tp 5000
and astro charger, i was having trouble getting it dialed in i thought it was the fdm strut was to deep so i got a fuller adj strut and still had issues, turns out i had the cg wrong, i put the batt alot farther back it was just right it ran true with no bobble just enough out of the water to be fast and stable

i did have a blow over it was getting really choppy and i was against the wind, boat handled the waves with ease

forgot the gps, temps were cool both esc and motor the batts were rather warn because of the long run, prop was a x642, i'll use a x645 to race with