PDA

View Full Version : Octura prop size for 32" cat

Tony
06-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi guys,
I'm running an Octura x642 prop with a 9xl motor, and a 125amp esc. Will these props work for my setup as well? BTW, these are all Steven has in stock at the moment.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=octsb-x438
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=octsb-x440
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=octsb-x442

Fluid
06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I assume you are running 4S. Those props will work - if you want to go slower. All have less pitch and/or less diameter than the x642. I run m445, m545 and m645 props on my MeanMachine with that motor on 4S and the cat runs great. The motor will handle more prop than the x642 - but as always watch for heat issues as the ESC may get stressed. The boat must be running freely, not too wet.

Tony
06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I assume you are running 4S. Those props will work - if you want to go slower. All have less pitch and/or less diameter than the x642. I run m445, m545 and m645 props on my MeanMachine with that motor on 4S and the cat runs great. The motor will handle more prop than the x642 - but as always watch for heat issues as the ESC may get stressed. The boat must be running freely, not too wet.

Once in awhile i run 6S, but most of the times 4S. You hit it right on the nail. I am having heat issues. This is the reason i was thinking of going to smaller prop. You mention the 9xl can handle more prop than the x642. So, do i prop up or down?

Boatman
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Fluid will most likely Jump my back for asking but how long are your run times? That will play a part in your heat. If running 4S with the 642 prop for say 4 minutes you should not see to much heat. Also, Is your strut adjustable? If running to deep of a strut it will add unneeded amperage.

I know these are "SILLY" questions and statements but fluid can still kiss my prop nuts.

Tony
06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Fluid will most likely Jump my back for asking but how long are your run times? That will play a part in your heat. If running 4S with the 642 prop for say 4 minutes you should not see to much heat. Also, Is your strut adjustable? If running to deep of a strut it will add unneeded amperage.

I know these are "SILLY" questions and statements but fluid can still kiss my prop nuts.

My run times are around 4-5 min for ZippyFlightmax 2x 2s1p 7.4v 4000mAh 25C in series. Strut is adjustable. I ran the boat this morning with the strut down, and the motor, batt dean plugs were hotter than normal. I'm going to raise the strut up a lil, and try again this evening.

Fluid
06-29-2009, 05:30 PM
fluid can still kiss my prop nuts.
Why the attitude? Why would I "Jump" you - are you a hottie? Do other guys jump you often? Lose the attitude dude.:ThumbsDown01:

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Sir, you have already made one very inflamatory remark in a previous thread towards to Fluid " And this is why HAY T. IS BANNED ON RRR! HA! I would love to kick your ass ya queer. So tough behind a computer. I imagine you got your ass whooped upon daily in school didnt you? This isnt YOUR forum there jackass. Dick"

and now you make another one. I for one do not want lose Fluid's insight to this hobby because of remarks you have posted. Bye the way he is not banned on RRR.
Now back to the thread

Douggie

Boatman
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh, come on Douggie. Relax. I think Fluid has some pretty thick skin. Was I wrong in posting what I did? That is the question. Did you play any part in helping the O.P.er? I am curious if anything helped. Especially if it is a vemon boat he is running. I dont think I was in the wrong when Jay jumped my statement about the other thread. And Finally yes, he was banned. I dont lie.

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh, come on Douggie. Relax. I think Fluid has some pretty thick skin. Was I wrong in posting what I did? That is the question. Did you play any part in helping the O.P.er? I am curious if anything helped. Especially if it is a vemon boat he is running. I dont think I was in the wrong when Jay jumped my statement about the other thread. And Finally yes, he was banned. I dont lie.

He was not banned...he posted a week ago..that is his proflle.

Douggie

Boatman
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
WAS, Douggie, WAS. It doesnt matter. You are funny. Drinking or not, you are funny!

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
WAS, Douggie, WAS. It doesnt matter. You are funny. Drinking or not, you are funny!

No comment!!! And Sir, please state your real name and age on your personal info...Bigg Boy does not cut it
Plus back to the thread

Douggie

sailr
06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Whoa! Play nice boys!

Tony
06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Ok. So while you guys are at it.... I raised the prop up a lil, shorten the y series lipo connector about an inch... Ran the boat about 5min. Everything seems cool to the touch, accept the motor, which still abit hot to the touch.:confused1:

Boatman
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I personally have never had a Feigao run cool after a run that long. I am assuming that is what your running 9xl. Usually 4 minutes is the longest I run before bringing it in for a cool down and battery change. Also Getting rid of the deans connectors will reduce even more resistance and switch to some 5.5mm bullets. How was your speed?

Tony
07-01-2009, 01:19 AM
I personally have never had a Feigao run cool after a run that long. I am assuming that is what your running 9xl. Usually 4 minutes is the longest I run before bringing it in for a cool down and battery change. Also Getting rid of the deans connectors will reduce even more resistance and switch to some 5.5mm bullets. How was your speed?

Yea. Its a 9xl motor. I am using 5.5mm bullets betwwen the esc and the Y connector end. Only from the lipos to the Y ends are deans connectors. I am getting some 4mm bullets to replace the deans. Will these work with the 5.5mm bullets?

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9283

I haven't check the speed yet. But, she flies.:thumbup:

Heath M
07-01-2009, 02:33 AM
you don't need to run a Y harness with bullet plugs. Set them up so ypu have a male on one wire and a female on the other, then the 2 packs will connect together. Make sure your ESC has the opposite plugs on the power wires...
you should use the same size plugs for all your connections, makes life alot easier then..

Heath

Heath M
07-01-2009, 02:35 AM
And boys stop all the bitch slapping will you, it's toy boats for f#cks sake

Simon.O.
07-01-2009, 04:49 AM

That is the spirit Heath.

I'll cover a few of the main points here to sumerise.

1/ Deans are ok but really for power and efficiency you need to go for bullets and for a XL motors 5.5 are very highly reccomended (by me) trust me on that one !

2/ 5 min runs between "touching the can" or temp check will be fine while your setup is low proped and high rated on the esc side.
Once you up the prop the power will flow and things get hot fast.
1 min should be the max you run between temp check during setup time.
I can blow solder joints in 30 secs

3/ Lastly, I run a 642 on a 9xL in my mono and the 100A speedy is barely warm but the motor is warm and the pack is, well that pack is farked anyway, so it gets well warm after 2 mins on the pond.

Bottom line is.
With a reasonable esc that can do 125A+ Sustained you will be fine with the 9XL on 4S unless you do something really stupid.

I'm keen as always to help.

Flying Scotsman
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Agreed, but one member's tone was way out of line and derogatory and I will not accept that behaviour. End of this sad story

Douggie

Jeff Wohlt
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Douggie, why do you feel you have to back someone up? Jay is a big boy and can handle his own.

Your comments were very harsh.

sailr
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
some people post derogatory remarks just to jack some of you up. If you ignore them, they will not be fulfilled and might just go away. One can hope.

Flying Scotsman
07-02-2009, 12:57 PM
First off thank you Jeff and boatman for your PM replies and your tone was duly noted on a positive note. I will always rush in to support a member that I think has been unduly assaulted. That is Douggie

Back to the thread

Douggie

Tony
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Comon guys/ladies. All i wanted to know is what prop for my 32" cat... Why so much dramas?

Flying Scotsman
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Here is your answer

Douggie

Tony
07-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Mind i ask what esc are you running on your MM?