PDA

View Full Version : Swap Shop Suggestion

sailr
06-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Steven,
There has been a lot of squabling in the Swap Shop lately because of confusion in communications, not knowing who PM'd who first, etc. and then people PO'd when somebody jumps up and says "I'll take it, send paypal address"

I have been called names for saying "I'll take it" because I had no idea somebody else had PM'd first. Other people get irate because they said they would think about it and then somebody else jumps up and buys and then the 'thinkin about it" person gets PO'd because they thought they should have first dibs.

A suggestion would be that you add to the swap shop rules that the seller has to put their paypal address in the original post. That way, whoever sends the $$$ first is the buyer. No questions. Chuck-E-Cheese did just that in a swap shop post recently and it sure made things easy.

Just a thought. Actually, there's only a couple of people on here that stirs up the pot the most but I'll leave them nameless.

Boatman
06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Honestly, most peoples paypal is there email addy. Putting that in public even in a secure forum will open you up to tons of SPAM. I think just stating no pm's unless for private info is a cool idea. I dont mind PM's. but some people are different.

sailr
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
another interesting and valid point.

Honestly, most peoples paypal is there email addy. Putting that in public even in a secure forum will open you up to tons of SPAM. I think just stating no pm's unless for private info is a cool idea. I dont mind PM's. but some people are different.

JimClark
06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Not hard to look at time stamps for emails and pm's that is what I do

ozzie-crawl
06-26-2009, 08:51 PM
what about over seas buyers.i see things from time to time that i would like to buy but not sure if the person is willing to ship out side the U.S
i would pay the postage.

sailr
06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
all valid points I hadn't necessarily thought about. Thanks for your comments.

Ub Hauled
06-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I am with sailr on this one, how are people supposed to know that the seller was PMd... then the person that PMd gets POd and the guy that posted gets a weird look from people...
I think biz should be done on the thread, wide open and clear. If you decide that sending a PM is the way to go then do it, get the questions/negotiations done and IF (and only if) you post on the thread before anyone else, then you can have it. This way everybody will be happy, the people that like to send PMs and people that feel comfortable on the thread. It is also easier to monitor since MODs and even Steven don't have access to our PMs.

Diegoboy
06-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Here's what I posted in said thread.

The most simple solution to this is to encourage the buyer (that feels the need to PM his/her offers) to post in the thread
"PM sent"
That way there is a time stamp on the offer and all can see who & when.
Also to encourage sellers to ignor PM's without a thread post.

bwells
06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Posting paypal info in the swap shop could lead to several different payments being made in a short amount of time and each person thinking they got it. The sale needs to be run by the seller with an acknowledgment to send payment, no fuss, don't send payment until seller says so and for the "let me think about it" people, you move to the back of the line until you step up to the plate. Jim Clark mentioned time stamps which is the way to go.

ozzie-crawl
06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
some people post in other forums and i see a some of the time people saying they will take it but it sold 2-3 days before some were else

Ub Hauled
06-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Here's what I posted in said thread.

The "PM sent" is totally fine Danny, but I think that is part of the negotiation... but it does not mean that the PM sender will get it. If someone posts "I'll take it" it would supercede the "PM sent" post... it's more definite.

some people post in other forums and i see a some of the time people saying they will take it but it sold 2-3 days before some were else

That is part of the seller's duty... he/she should update posts in the several Forums... well, at least I would, it's common decency.

RiverRat
06-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Do the deal in public.
Pms should be for exchanging personal info only.

sailr
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Agree!

Do the deal in public.
Pms should be for exchanging personal info only.

bustitup
06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Steven,

Just a thought. Actually, there's only a couple of people on here that stirs up the pot the most but I'll leave them nameless.

I think you may have me down as one of these "stir" up people...if I am wrong I'm sorry

our situation was completely different......I entered a for sale thread and asked the seller if he had a particular item I was looking for.....he immediately posted that he had what I was looking for...I posted back a question about the item to make sure it was exactly what i was looking for....before he answered me you jumped in and said "I will take it"....this is totally a different situation and was the wrong thing to do

funny part is about two or three posts before my inquiring if he had the item I was looking for he had asked you if there was anything you needed and you stated something to the effect "no I'm just looking"...you then jumped on the item I asked if he hadsorry but this was not cool Jim

bustitup
06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
your never going to get everyone satisfied in the swap shop...there are guys hanging around with deeper pockets than others at any given time that situation can change but I think Diego has the better conclusion that may help matters a little

The most simple solution to this is to encourage the buyer (that feels the need to PM his/her offers) to post in the thread
"PM sent"
That way there is a time stamp on the offer and all can see who & when.
Also to encourage sellers to ignor PM's without a thread post.

Jesse J
06-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I guess it all comes down to how bad the buyer wants the item and how bad the seller wants the money. I have been on both ends of the "jumping in" or "stepping on toes" deals, and have fortunately moved from the jumping in to the being stepped on end. Money definitely talks, and sometimes it shouts and I am sure it will always be this way.

I have come to respect the issue of "holding" something for someone and am pretty convinced that it is seller based, whether he holds or not. It would be NICE if there could be a reasonable amount of time from initial inquiry and "give me a minute to check funds" - say one hour, but I doubt that it will ever be enacted as a rule.

It is a little disheartening when we are all friendly until it comes to the (sometimes nasty) competition at the swap shop.

bustitup
06-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I
It is a little disheartening when we are all friendly until it comes to the (sometimes nasty) competition at the swap shop.

Ya .......Jesse "deep pockets" J-man

Steven Vaccaro
06-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm with the other guys, I dont want mine or another email address on the forum. It will get spammed immediately.

Another way to do it would be to not allow Pm's, and everything to be in the open on the forum. But that's impossible to police.

sailr
06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
I agree that everything should be in the open on the forum and then the seller could PM just the paypal address I guess.

ozzie-crawl
06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
i have pmd people asking information or if they will ship to australia, if someone says they will take it before the seller gets back to me then i just take it i dibbed out maybe i should just say i will take it if they will ship over seas on the thread

Ub Hauled
06-28-2009, 04:08 AM
your never going to get everyone satisfied in the swap shop...there are guys hanging around with deeper pockets than others

It does not matter if one has deeper pockets then others... it is not a bidding war.
There is a set price, if you REALLY want it, then you should be able to afford full asking price anyway. I have been in several situations myself where I wanted the item but it was out of my $$ range. I just watched it go by.

i have pmd people asking information or if they will ship to australia, if someone says they will take it before the seller gets back to me then i just take it i dibbed out maybe i should just say i will take it if they will ship over seas on the thread

M8, just post, "I'll take it if you ship to Down Under". That would be one way to settle this... another way would ask the seller to announce if international shipping is in the cards or not.

Paul Pachmayer
06-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi Guys,

It's really up to the seller to give clear rules to the sale. All swap shops are the same and have the same problems. Being a seller I've sat on stuff way to long waiting on someone to "pay up", lol. If I screw up on a posting I eat the mistake, my fault not the buyers. For example I do PayPal only, if I forget to put that in a post and someone want's to pay with a MO I accept that and wait for it to show up.

Also, from a buyers point of view I like seeing shipping included. The other thing is the old "plus PayPal fees". If I see that no matter how bad I may want an item I wont buy it. Figure what you want up front and give a flat price, works for me.

Paul.

Boatman
06-28-2009, 08:47 PM
The biggest thing that just drives me nuts and I cant think of anyone in particular but when someone posts a for sale thread and then doesnt keep up on it. Like if they post their thread and then dont come back to it for a day or 2. I realize baby sitting is not needed but slow or no communication just gives buyers a bad feeling. I have posted that I will buy something and to never hear back from the seller and then suddenly one guy post's "payment sent" for what I posted I will buy. THAT RIGHT THERE GETS MY UNDIES IN A WAD!LOL

Rumdog
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
P.M.s should be for private inf, such as e-mail, or paypal info. Why is there any reason to make your offer private?

Punisher 67
07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
:tiphat:..........................:popcorn2:

Great points........In a sale if I am going to be away from the computor for any length of time like at work for 8 hours that is also stated in the post