PDA

View Full Version : My first FE build

Jesse J
06-26-2009, 12:11 PM
When I started this hydro (fall 2007) my FE experience was ElectroVees bone stock and maybe into the 20s that I ran with dad when I was a kid. After a 10-15 year hiatus from boats, I found the plans for this 1/14th scale Atlas Van Lines designed and drafted up by Garry Finlay (with a really good set of instructions too). I got all the wood and started. During the build I met Andy Kuntz who turned me over to the machine shop of Jeff Wholt - the wire drive maniac.

My maiden voyage was actually pretty successful, it appeared the only problem was the strut was a bit high. Here is that maiden voyage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLgI5swTnRs

The most recent vid is the one I have posted up on the vids page (great idea whoever that was). The first pic is from that run.

Now, I am gearing up for my very first race - with the Rocky Mountain Thunderboats down in Pueblo CO in July. With that in mind, I decided it was time to finish the Atlas with some epoxy - why not add some graphics first and coat over them? I found that Epoxy now makes a top coat version, which actually gives you about an hour to touch up the cure, and catch any drizzles.

Here are some pics I took this mornin. I am gonna try her out with my Neu 1515 1D that didn't sell (maybe for this reason) on 2S and my standby X632 prop. Will try to get vids of that, but I am thinking she will boogie!

It would be cool to see what other people have done for their first FE builds and how they have survived the fleet expansion.

wolf IV
06-26-2009, 06:59 PM
BEUTIFUL BOAT!! Im sorry but i had to laugh...THEN I REALIZED that i have simular footage of the same thing on the hull i designed, i was soooo bumbed and didnt understand exactly what was wrong..im gonna stick your 6xl in it tonight ...

Jesse J
06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
When I watched it this afternoon, I kept saying "man its so slow!" I hope to try this guy out this evening, can't wait to see what she'll do!

got any vids or pics of your maiden voyage? by the way, it is YOUR 6XL.

wolf IV
06-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Man i looked tonight ,, cant find it... Ive got it on a c.d somewhere ill look for it. Installed (my) xl in the drag boat tonight , ill get her wet tomarrow..