PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Wire Drive

Meniscus
06-25-2009, 07:56 AM
I lost the wire drive and prop on my Viper. :doh: I'm not sure what size the wire was, but the stuffing tube can handle up to .130.

I'm looking for the largest wire drive that will fit.

Thanks!

Camman
06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Steve has them OSE
I think .068 &.078 I might be wrong
you will have to check your adapter

Sorry to hear you lost it
:beerchug:

Meniscus
06-25-2009, 09:46 AM
...Sorry to hear you lost it...

I hope you're referring to the wire drive and prop and not me! :laugh:

Thanks Camman. I was hoping I could find a slightly larger size, although I may end up with the .078 if nothing else comes up.

Jeff Wohlt
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
If you want bigger and your driveline has little angle then I can provide the 093 for you. Usually reserved for the big 1/8 scale with longer drivelines but will work for anything else as well.

78 should be fine, though.

What happened? Did you hit anything?

Meniscus
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
No, I didn't hit anything. It snapped about 3 1/2" to 4" from the coupler. I venture to guess that it was due to long time wear since there was no teflon liner. That and the additional stress put on the driveline while propping up. But for all I know, I may have gotten into a resonant frequency and oscillation could be at fault.

The setup is very straight, only minor gradual curve and not much at that. I'd try to measure the angle difference, but it's kinda hard in the boat to get a good measurement.

Jeff Wohlt
06-25-2009, 05:34 PM
After running a drive for a bit in a boat I always inspect the wire shaft for real shiney areas to check rub.

I also run motors forward and more angle on my motors. The only curve I have is up at the motor and hull on hydros...monos are simple. I like them pretty much straight for several inches coming out of the strut.

093 may be too big for you.

I have also done some testing on silver soldering them and I think it may be stronger but am ordering some new solder made for guns....almost twice the power as 4% silver. I have a feeling Mr Hughey is using about the same stuff on his cables. Not brazing but very close.

Meniscus
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Makes sense. I've read a lot of your posts and website regarding wire drives. If I had to guess, I would guess it was a .078. But again a guess. I don't think my setup was "extreme" and didn't notice any binding, so I guess it just gave up. I'm going to see what I can do about checking the condition of the stuffing tube inside. I do remember having a little darker lubricant on one of the last runs before it gave way.

How long before you try the new solder and have a chance to test? Not that it matters for my setup. Do you have any others assembled ready to go?

Let me know, Thanks!

Jeff Wohlt
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I have an 078 ready all the time. You can also check your coupler to check the size of wire you were running. Your problem is not at the stub holding...something weakened or heated the wire. Good lube is key. I grease with marine lith or better and then use drops of oil down it and put it in but do not turn the shaft when installing.