PDA

View Full Version : Advice on drive line

roberzie
07-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I just received my sv27 and consider myself new to rc boats as my first boat was a stinger with A dual inline brushed strait steel shaft. Any way when I turn the prop by hand it feels like it ratchets instead of a smooth easy turn. During its first run It seemed to point up looking at god for a awful long time before taking off. When it would finally take off it would bounce across the lake. I have read all posts to gather information before asking questions and read installing a new shaft and putting adjustable trim tabs as an upgrade but don’t understand what these things do. And props that is total mystery.

Thank You

RoberZie

Las Vegas

Diegoboy
07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Any way when I turn the prop by hand it feels like it ratchets instead of a smooth easy turn.

That is normal for that Motor. If you want more out of the boat later, get the Ammo (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-gpmg5290) Motor. It's a direct replacement for the stock one.

During its first run It seemed to point up looking at god for a awful long time before taking off.

That is cavatation. Get the X642 (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=87)prop, best "all around" prop for the boat. The ammo motor should help with cavatation too since it has more rpm than the stock one.
Stock = 1800kV / Ammo = 2300kV.
Also, what batteries are you running?

Steven Vaccaro
07-13-2007, 03:59 PM
A OSE cable & shaft has less friction because the shaft is shorter and allows a tad more adjustability in the outdrive. its also straighter than the stock one.

The part you call a stinger is really called a strut. Stinger is a name of a similar strut made in the USA.

Adjustable tabs make for easier adjusting for different water conditions. IE, in the morning where I run, the water is smooth and the tabs in the up position. As the day goes on, the water gets choppy, so the tabs are adjusted downward.

For a cheap upgrade, get a 48mm carbon prop. It will alleviate the long takeoffs.

roberzie
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I am using a standard Rc car battery from the hobby shop. It is a 3600 Mah Nimh with dean ends.

roberzie
07-14-2007, 04:05 AM
I am using a standard Rc car battery from the hobby shop. It is a 3600 Mah Nimh with dean ends.

Diegoboy
07-14-2007, 07:25 AM
just one pack? 7.2?

Jeepers
07-14-2007, 10:55 PM
just one pack? 7.2?
If you are put two packs then watch!

Stinger9D9
07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
The part you call a stinger is really called a strut. Stinger is a name of a similar strut made in the USA.

I think he was talking about the name of his first boat. It was a boat sold by Great Planes called the Stinger SS, it had 2 inline 540 motors that ran on 2 6 or 7 cell packs. This was around 1995 or so.

Before that boat there was also the original plain old "Stinger" also from Great Planes.

The AQ Hammer is the most recent version of that boat. I still have my old Stinger SS, and I swear it is exactly the same hull. Different running gear (single motor), but the hull is the same.

Hence my incredibly unoriginal alias...:rolleyes:

Steven Vaccaro
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I have to apologize I read the post incorrectly. When I first read it I must have been sleeping, somehow I thought you referenced the stinger as a part on your SuperVee.

Stinger9D9
07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
No prob, but that reminds me of something I've been wondering...

Would a Speedmaster 3/16" strut bolt onto an SV27 with not too much fuss? I'd like something more precisely adjustable than the stock one which isn't the most friendly thing.

Also, with the strut angled down a bit, would that eliminate the need for the trim tabs?

'83 chevy
07-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Also, with the strut angled down a bit, would that eliminate the need for the trim tabs?

Be careful doing that, pointing the strut down raises the stern of the boat out of the water more and forces the bow down creating more drag. Too much adjustment will cause the nose to dive underwater.